General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2018 - 2019 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applying to: Rockhurst University, Nebraska Methodist College, Creighton University, Cox College, Allen College, and Texas Tech
Major: Kinesiology Major - Pre-Occupational Therapy
Overall GPA: 3.6
Prerequisite GPA: 3.7-3.9 depending on program
Observation hours: 140+ out-patient pediatrics within 2 settings, 10 in-patient hospital
Volunteer: YoungLife (Christian Ministry) - 800+ hours, Zoo Volunteer - 10 hours, Life Church Youth Group Leader - 50 hours. Also an Athlete at my undergraduate university.
5 LORs: 2OT, 2 College Professors, and 1 Boss who has a handicap son.

Don’t stress. It’s my second time applying and I submitted my application way early. I am sure you’ll hear back soon
Hi! Have you had your interview for Nebraska Methodist College yet? If so, how'd it go?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Have you had your interview for Nebraska Methodist College yet? If so, how'd it go?!
Yes. It went amazing!!! I love their faculty. Everyone is very nice. Nothing to stress over.

Someone give me some feedback please! I'm so nervous!!!

School
: Rutgers University
Major: Exercise Science
Minor: Psychology
cGPA: 3.57
Prereq GPA: ~3.9
Observation Hours: 155 Hours (130 Acute / 25 Outpatient)
Extracurriculars: Several Cultural Clubs, Club Athlete (Powerlifting), President of a fitness club on campus, Outreach/Campaign Manager for Pencils of Promise, Charity work for a school in the Philippines
Job Experience: Fitness Assistant in campus gym (3 years), Rehab Aid (since August 2018)
GRE: 153V, 158Q, 4.5AW

Applying to: Columbia, NYU, Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Kean
LoR: OT supervisor from my internship, previous employer, and pysch professor

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! That helps to hear. I just read through everyone’s stats and they all have sooo many extracurriculars and other things. I got insecure.

I would have applied to Dominguez but I was running late and they had a deadline that was earlier than all the other schools! I wish I’d noticed how early it was sooner!

My top is Samuel Merritt. I have visited and love the program! Loma Linda sounds really great too.

Your Stats are great! Nothing to worry about. I had my online interview as well with LLU. I'm really eager to hear back from UT Health San Antonio!

Yes. It went amazing!!! I love their faculty. Everyone is very nice. Nothing to stress over.
Yay! I'm glad it went well for you! Thanks for the feedback. If you're comfortable sharing, were there any questions that you weren't expecting? or were they pretty typical?

Yay! I'm glad it went well for you! Thanks for the feedback. If you're comfortable sharing, were there any questions that you weren't expecting? or were they pretty typical?
They were all typical. No strange questions that I received. Just know why you want to go there and why OT. The basic questions. What characteristics are needed to be an OT. Just be yourself. When is your interview?

They were all typical. No strange questions that I received. Just know why you want to go there and why OT. The basic questions. What characteristics are needed to be an OT. Just be yourself. When is your interview?
Thank you so much! My interview is this Thursday!

GPA: 3.61
GRE: V153. Q154, W4.5
Major: Psychology
Minors: Human Relations and Aging Studies

Experience: was a camp counselor for kids with disabilities for a summer, worked for 2 years as a supervisor at my school's rec center, have over 700 hours as a rehab tech at an outpatient pediatric clinic, was a respite worker for 1 year for a little girl with special needs, part of my school's Student Philanthropy Group, Research Assistant for the Psychology Department for 2 semesters

Volunteer: 70 hours at my university hospital, 55 hours as a Wellness volunteer at a retirement home

Observation hours: 90 hours at several locations (pediatric, outpatient clinics, hospital)

LORs: former work supervisor, a senior OT, another OT, professor, and current manager of the pediatric clinic I work at

-I believe my personal statement is strong

Applied: UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, Carroll, WashU, Midwestern (Downer's Grove), St. Ambrose, AT Still, University of South Dakota, St. Catherine's, Belmont
Interviews: St. Ambrose (10/19), Midwestern (10/23), Belmont (11/16)
Acceptances:
Rejections:

Just found out I have an interview for the MOT program at AT Still December 7th

Im interviewing tomorrow, they're doing group and individual interviews! thats all the information i have!
Hi! I have my interview on November 30th. How did your interview go? What type of questions did they ask? Thank you!

Overall GPA: 3.69

Prerequisite GPA: 3.6-3.7

Observation hours: Total 300 OT hours; 150 inpatient, 40 outpatient, 110 pediatrics. Total 360 PT hours; 180 outpatient, 42 inpatient, 144 pediatrics. Currently, physical therapy aquatic tech and receptionist for OT/PT clinics. Cheer/Tumble coach for competitive cheer teams and special needs.

LORS: 1 academic professor, 3 Occupational Therapists

Applying: University of Indianapolis, Rockhurst University, A.T. Still, Texas Tech, Kean University, Cox College, Touro University, University of New England, Abilene, Davenport

Interviews: University of Indianapolis (Dec. 7th), Rockhurst University (Dec. 1st), Texas Tech (Dec. 1st), University of New England (Nov. 30th), A.T. Still (Jan. 11th), Touro University

Are there any helpful tips for interviews? Is there anybody that has attended an interview for Texas Tech?

Last edited:

Observation hours: Total 300 OT hours; 150 inpatient, 40 outpatient, 110 pediatrics. Total 360 PT hours; 180 outpatient, 42 inpatient, 144 pediatrics. Currently, physical therapy aquatic tech and receptionist for OT/PT clinics.

Applying: University of Indianapolis, Rockhurst University, A.T. Still, Texas Tech, Kean University, Cox College, Touro University, University of New England, Abilene, Davenport

Interviews: University of Indianapolis (Dec. 7th), Rockhurst University (Dec. 1st), Texas Tech (Dec. 1st), University of New England (Nov. 30th)

Are there any helpful tips for interviews? Is there anybody that has attended an interview for Texas Tech?
I am interviewing at rockhurst the same day. I also have an interview at tech this Friday. From what I’ve heard it is pretty relaxing not a stressful interview. I have had two interviews so far my best advice is just be yourself and try to be calm. Everyone I’ve interviewed with has been very nice. Remember your also interviewing them too.

I am interviewing at rockhurst the same day. I also have an interview at tech this Friday. From what I’ve heard it is pretty relaxing not a stressful interview. I have had two interviews so far my best advice is just be yourself and try to be calm. Everyone I’ve interviewed with has been very nice. Remember your also interviewing them too.
Thank you for the advise! I turned down my Rockhurst interview because Texas Tech is my top school and both interviews fell on the same day. Good luck with your interview at Rockhurst. Let me know how your interview goes at Texas Tech.

Members don't see this ad :)

Observation hours: Total 300 OT hours; 150 inpatient, 40 outpatient, 110 pediatrics. Total 360 PT hours; 180 outpatient, 42 inpatient, 144 pediatrics. Currently, physical therapy aquatic tech and receptionist for OT/PT clinics.

Interviews: University of Indianapolis (Dec. 7th), Rockhurst University (Dec. 1st), Texas Tech (Dec. 1st), University of New England (Nov. 30th)

Have you heard back from Touro University?

Oh okay, sounds good. I recently found out that I had sent my official GRE scores to the wrong code and I realized it after the deadline. I still submitted them, but I feel like my application might not even be reviewed because of that reason. Super bummed!

I totally wouldn't worry about that! I retook my GRE and the scores were going to get there after the deadline, but they reassured me, that as long as the OTCAS app was verified and the supplemental app was in, that I was good to go. I talked to them a week after the deadline, and they said my application had been moved forward to faculty for review. I'm sure your's was, too!

Would anybody that interviewed last year be willing to share some interview questions with us? I would also love to have some example writing promos, as well.

Does anyone know Georgia State sends out decisions?

Hey! GA State sent an email out saying that their decisions would be out no later than February. They have 3 interview dates, November, December, and January! I just an e-mail today for an interview on 12/3! :)

I interview 12/3 as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome!!! I'm really excited about it. It's really close to home for me, so hopefully the interview goes well. I'll see you there! :)

Hey! GA State sent an email out saying that their decisions would be out no later than February. They have 3 interview dates, November, December, and January! I just an e-mail today for an interview on 12/3! :)
when did you submit your application?

Dang, too bad we didn’t get the same date! We could’ve carpooled! Let me know how your interview goes! Good luck!!!

I definitely will! Have you heard anything regarding what kind of questions they ask or how the interview process goes?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I haven’t seen anyone post any interview questions yet. All I know is that my email said there’s a group interview and a personal interview.

I would just prepare for the basics. Why OT, why this program, etc.

Thank you, I appreciate the tips!

I submitted my application on 9/5. I just got an email today saying I interview 12/3.

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking! I'm worried I won't get in anywhere

I was extended an interview at GA state as well- thinking about declining it because I was accepted elsewhere. I'll post my stats because it might give some people some hope hahaha
Undergrad; University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
GPA: 3.4
Last 60: 3.55
GRE: 153V, 151Q, 4
Observation: 100+ hours in pediatrics, acute care, hand therapy clinic
Activities: 3 years research assistant in MS lab, sorority member, nanny for child with spastic quad CP, academic mentor for transfer students, volunteer at non-profit providing job training for individuals with disabilities, camp counselor, went on a medical/dental service trip to treat patients in Honduras
Applied: Elmhurst, Midwestern, Rush, UIC, Carroll, Huntington University, Davenport, Grand Valley State, Georgia State, St. Scholastica, Belmont, Maryville
Interviews: Huntington (11/9), Georgia State (12/3- declined), Rush (12/14), Belmont (1/25- declined)
Waitlist: Elmhurst College (1/18)
Acceptances: Huntington

Last edited:
posting my stats!

Major: Human Development & Family Studies
Overall GPA: 3.64 - graduated May 2018
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3.8 (depending on the program)
GRE: 153-Verbal, 146-Quantitative & 4-Writing

Activites: over 600 hours of community service in a community service organization, did research in my college for a professor for two semester, Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for A&P I, Internship with physical therapist in spain

Volunteer/Observation: 850+ hours of work experience/observation as a rehab tech in an inpatient hospital, 50 hours in a neuro outpatient clinic, 60 hours in a pediatric outpatient clinic, 40 hours in an inpatient rehab hospital

Letters of Rec: 2 OT (1 from Director of OT Department at hospital, 1 from professor from my undergrad college

Applied: TTUHSC, UTRGV, UTMB, UTHSA
Interviews: TTUHSC(11/16), UTHSA (12/18)
Acceptances: UTRGV

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What are your stats if you don't mind me asking! I'm worried I won't get in anywhere

Undergrad: University of Central Arkansas
Major: Sociology
Minor: Psychology
Cumulative OTCAS GPA: 2.73
Last 60 hours GPA: 3.5
Post Bacc: 4.0
Pre-req GPA 3.7-4.0 depending on school

I presented research @ the College of Liberal Arts Symposium, made the deans list several times, received a few scholarships

Member of Alpha Kappa Delta & Alpha CHI honor society.

GRE: 145V 145Q 4 AW (retaking on 11/26)

Volunteer: Observation hours in outpatient pediatrics, outpatient hand therapy, inpatient rehab (120 hours total)

Letters of Rec: 2 Professors with PhD's, 2 Occupational Therapists, 1 Medical doctor I've worked for the past 5 years

Work experience: I've worked in a hospital setting for 5 years doing sleep studies on a diverse patient population. I have also been a clinical instructor for our sleep tech students currently enrolled in our program for just as long.

This is my 3rd year applying. I wasn't aware that they averaged classes you repeated into your cumulative GPA on OTCAS. Thats why my GPA is so low. I had already applied to several schools before knowing my cumulative wouldn't make the 3.0 cutoff that most programs require. But I also have an interview at GSU, and they stated that they wanted the 3.0, which I didn't meet, but they still reviewed my application. I've been trying to apply to more schools that just go off the last 60 hours.

Don't get discouraged. A lot of programs take into account your grade trend, and look at your application holistically. All of my grades prior to 2012 are awful, but I was young and naive. My best advice is to do mock interviews, so when you do interview, you do well!

Heard from Samuel Merritt last night (Sunday 11/18) at 9pm. What a bizarre time to send out interview invites! Is this normal? I know someone else got accepted at SJSU on a Sunday! Don’t these people have time off??

Heard from Samuel Merritt last night (Sunday 11/18) at 9pm. What a bizarre time to send out interview invites! Is this normal? I know someone else got accepted at SJSU on a Sunday! Don’t these people have time off??

LOL!!! I am literally laughing out loud and I’m not sure why this is so funny to me perhaps because it’s so true. They are all unpredictable! Lol I think that’s why I’m laughing because no matter what we can’t ever predict when programs email us or notify us. I’ve been trying to crack down maybe automated messages is set on a schedule? Or what not to gauge a time but nope can’t figure it out. I’ve heard people receiving acceptances and emails at like odd hours of the night. Nope no days off I guess haha

It totally validates how often I check my email!! You never know! Thanks for the 24-hour-a-day state of anxiety, haha. OTs are usually so nice...

LOL!!! I am literally laughing out loud and I’m not sure why this is so funny to me perhaps because it’s so true. They are all unpredictable! Lol I think that’s why I’m laughing because no matter what we can’t ever predict when programs email us or notify us. I’ve been trying to crack down maybe automated messages is set on a schedule? Or what not to gauge a time but nope can’t figure it out. I’ve heard people receiving acceptances and emails at like odd hours of the night. Nope no days off I guess haha

It totally validates how often I check my email!! You never know! Thanks for the 24-hour-a-day state of anxiety, haha. OTs are usually so nice...

NO KIDDING! My top choice won’t send out acceptances til January and I still check my emails every hour even on the weekend even though I get notifications lol but you never know! Hahaha this is the MOST brutal part of the process. Honestly my fiancé made a good point AOTA should set out a standard admission process guideline for all schools so it’s a blanketed standard process so our poor little minds can rest easy and somewhat predict the process and have a sane idea of what to expect lol. I just cannot wait til I can look back at this process and laugh and say “aw I miss those days” haha. But this process makes me want to one day sit on an admission board and help future students because I GET THE STRESS and find ways to ease away the anxiety for the future applicants.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone! Just an update. I will be interviewing with Texas Tech on Dec. 1st. I'd love to connect with those that may be interviewing the same day or have interviewed already!
Hello, I will be there on the first as well. What time did you choose?

Good luck today! When did you hear from them?
Hi, I heard back from them exactly a week after the deadline, I applied early september. The interview questions were pretty standard, why ot, whats a difficult person you worked with, etc. There is also a group teamwork interview with a case study. I ended up getting accepted, just found out tonight, it only took a little over a week to hear back. I personally think it helps to research anyone who could possibly be interviewing you to ask specific questions at the end. Good luck on interviews!

Hi, I heard back from them exactly a week after the deadline, I applied early september. The interview questions were pretty standard, why ot, whats a difficult person you worked with, etc. There is also a group teamwork interview with a case study. I ended up getting accepted, just found out tonight, it only took a little over a week to hear back. I personally think it helps to research anyone who could possibly be interviewing you to ask specific questions at the end. Good luck on interviews!
Congrats! Are you going to accept the offer? Thank you! I got invited to interview on Dec 3rd.

Hello, I am also interviewing at UNE on the 30th of Nov as well! are you going to the interview?

Hey everyone! Just an update. I will be interviewing with Texas Tech on Dec. 1st. I'd love to connect with those that may be interviewing the same day or have interviewed already!
I'm actually interviewing January 18 for Texas Tech as well. They gave me the option of December 7th or January and I feel like I'd feel more prepared in January. I'd love if you'd let us know how the interview goes! :)

posting my stats!

Major: Human Development & Family Studies
Overall GPA: 3.64 - graduated May 2018
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3.8 (depending on the program)
GRE: 153-Verbal, 146-Quantitative & 4-Writing

Activites: over 600 hours of community service in a community service organization, did research in my college for a professor for two semester, Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for A&P I, Internship with physical therapist in spain

Volunteer/Observation: 850+ hours of work experience/observation as a rehab tech in an inpatient hospital, 50 hours in a neuro outpatient clinic, 60 hours in a pediatric outpatient clinic, 40 hours in an inpatient rehab hospital

Letters of Rec: 2 OT (1 from Director of OT Department at hospital, 1 from professor from my undergrad college

Applied: TTUHSC, UTRGV, UTMB, UTHSA
Interviews: TTUHSC(11/16), UTHSA (12/18)
Acceptances: UTRGV

How was the interview with Texas Tech if you don't mind me asking?

I was extended an interview at GA state as well- thinking about declining it because I was accepted elsewhere. I'll post my stats because it might give some people some hope hahaha
Undergrad; University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
GPA: 3.4
Last 60: 3.55
GRE: 153V, 151Q, 4
Observation: 100+ hours in pediatrics, acute care, hand therapy clinic
Activities: 3 years research assistant in MS lab, sorority member, nanny for child with spastic quad CP, academic mentor for transfer students, volunteer at non-profit providing job training for individuals with disabilities, camp counselor, went on a medical/dental service trip to treat patients in Honduras
Applied: Elmhurst, Midwestern, Rush, UIC, Carroll, Huntington University, Davenport, Grand Valley State, Georgia State, St. Scholastica, Belmont, Maryville
Interviews: Huntington (11/9), Georgia State (12/3- declining), Rush (12/14)
Deferred: Belmont
Acceptances: Huntington

When did you get deferred from Belmont? Im waiting to hear back from them still

This is my first post so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right (lol) but has anyone else heard from Belmont yet? I interviewed with them on 11/16 and am waiting to hear back... I know he said by the end of this week but I'm just curious

This is my first post so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right (lol) but has anyone else heard from Belmont yet? I interviewed with them on 11/16 and am waiting to hear back... I know he said by the end of this week but I'm just curious
I am too! I am assuming we'll hear by Friday since that was the 2 week mark but I'm anxiously waiting!

Hi all! I was hoping to get a little advice on my stats and see how I compare to other applicants. Any advice would be wonderful! :)

Major: {Dual Degree (BS & BA) in Kinesiology & Psychology}
Overall GPA: 3.5
OTCAS GPA: 3.37
Prerequisite GPA: 3.5 - 3.8
GRE: 147V, 148Q, 4.0W {Most schools have no minimum or do not require}
Observations: Pediatrics, Outpatient, & State School
Work experience: 3 years as a Teacher's Assistant
Service: 50+ Hours Local (Cancer Support Group & VFW)
Leadership: First Year Mentor
Letters of Recommendation: Boss from work, OT, 2 Professors
Applied/Applying to: KU Med, Rockhurst, Cox, Mizzou, Drake, St. Ambrose, Indiana Wesleyan, Belmont, Methodist, & Wingate

Please let me know what you all think! GOOD LUCK to everyone throughout this process! :)

Have you gotten interviews? And have you been accepted anywhere?

Applied: Ohio State, University of Findlay, Indiana State, Walsh University, Kettering, Chatham, Shawnee University

Acceptances: University of Findlay (denied), Walsh, Shawnee

Rejections:

Interviews: Ohio State, Findlay, Indiana (Denied), Walsh, Chatham (declined), Shenandoah (video), Kettering

Last edited:
Applied: Ohio State, University of Findlay, Indiana State, Walsh University, Kettering, Chatham, Shawnee University

Maybe going to apply: University of Toledo

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews: Ohio State, Findlay, Indiana, Walsh, Chatham
Hey! When is your interview with Ohio State? I got an email yesterday!!

My application was finalized by Belmont of September 10th, and I heard back about getting deferred on October 23rd. Hope this helps!

I am too! I am assuming we'll hear by Friday since that was the 2 week mark but I'm anxiously waiting!

Same! I am assuming it won't be earlier than Friday but I just keep refreshing my email anyway hahaha

Super glad to have found this thread, let me know if you guys have any suggestions on what might help my chances or any feedback at all!

Major: Kinesiology
Minor: Psychology and Business
Cumulative GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6 or 3.75 (depending on what the school requires for pre req's)
Last 60 hours: 3.735

I have 145 hours in 6 different settings. (pediatric, brain trauma rehab, hand therapy, acute care, inpatient rehab, skilled nursing facility).

My GRE scores are 157 on verbal, 156 on quantitative, and a 4.0 on analytical writing.

Besides my hours under an OT, I also work as an undergraduate research assistant and have done several research projects with previous professors. I have presented the research at the Association for Applied Sports Psychology Southwest Conference.
I'm also an ambassador and event coordinator for the Kinesiology Department at my university.
I was a college cheerleader for the first 2 years of college and spent a lot of time doing events for that.
I volunteered with my church at least once a week and went on a mission trip with them last year.

I don't know if any of these things will help my chances of being accepted but I just thought I would include them and I'd love to know if you all think they would.

Schools applying to: UTMB, Texas Tech, TWU, Colorado State, Eastern Washington, UTHSCSA

**I have received interviews at Tech, UTMB and St. Augustine**

Has anyone who is interviewing at Rockhurst heard about the interview yet?? They said they’d send certain interview times out in mid November and I haven’t received anything.