This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rntodoctor

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm currently a Registered Nurse turned Post-bacc Pre-med student. Due to the circumstances of this semester (finals were cancelled due to Corona Virus outbreak on campus), I was wondering about the risks of having a class reported as pass/fail on my transcript. We were given the option to retroactively opt for pass/fail on our transcripts for the winter quarter if we'd like. I am in a weird situation right now--my GPA needs to be *pretty good* to qualify for tuition assistance next quarter. I have As in the rest of my classes, but if I receive lower than a B in organic chemistry, it sounds like it would be beneficial to protect my gpa and take a pass instead.

At this point, I don't know any details about my final grade in Orgo. Final grades are being calculated based on previous coursework and tests, and my professor does not share details about the curve with us. In addition, I requested a regrade on a past exam since the TAs did not award partial credit when they were supposed to. Ultimately, I have limited information about "how I'm doing" in the course, and want to explore my options now. Obviously I do not want to retake this course if I later found out that medical schools require a letter grade versus pass/fail.

Do I take a letter grade that may lower my GPA, or go pass/fail and protect the GPA?

What are your thoughts/experiences with pass/fail courses? I'm specifically interested in how medical schools may view this on my application.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't take any pre-reqs pass/fail. Otherwise, they're fine in moderation

Reactions: 1 users
Don't take any pre-reqs pass/fail. Otherwise, they're fine in moderation

Hi! I'm in virtually the same situation (RN to MD), however the institution where I'm doing my DIY post-bacc did not give us the option - every course from this semester will be listed as Pass/Fail on our transcript. I'm taking Physics and Biochem this semester so those courses would be impacted. According to our professors, the actual letter grade will be kept on file and "available upon request," just won't appear officially on our transcripts. As I'm almost at the end of my post-bacc, I hate the idea of dropping to retake and pushing back applying another year. On the flip side, I'm concerned that a P/F course will get me dismissed out of hand when my application is reviewed. What are the odds they'll be understanding about all the coronavirus chaos?

Appreciate your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm in virtually the same situation (RN to MD), however the institution where I'm doing my DIY post-bacc did not give us the option - every course from this semester will be listed as Pass/Fail on our transcript. I'm taking Physics and Biochem this semester so those courses would be impacted. According to our professors, the actual letter grade will be kept on file and "available upon request," just won't appear officially on our transcripts. As I'm almost at the end of my post-bacc, I hate the idea of dropping to retake and pushing back applying another year. On the flip side, I'm concerned that a P/F course will get me dismissed out of hand when my application is reviewed. What are the odds they'll be understanding about all the coronavirus chaos?

Appreciate your input!
I was emailed by one of the schools to which I was accepted today and they stated "Do not worry about pass/fail grading systems this semester affecting your accepted status here at WFSM. Pass your classes, finish your current undergraduate or post-graduate programs in good standing and of course behave in a moral, professional manner between now and matriculation and everything will be fine" I believe University of Michigan and other schools are sending out similar memos. It's out of your control and med schools should be lenient. Hope that helps :)