PCOM - Atlanta Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when the GA committee meets? It's almost been a month without any word on the status of my application... I tried calling them but they said that after an interview, there was nothing else the Office of Admissions could tell me.

If you interviewed a month ago, you'll be hearing shortly. They met on the 5th.

Members don't see this ad.

How will I be notified? Call? Email? Letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I interviewed a few weeks ago. I loved that my interview group had THREE people as opposed to my most recent group of thirty. It's really laid back.. seriously. People are cool. Just figure out if YOU like the school or not. And Suwanee, the town it's in, is wonderful. Have fun :)

Hi all, I interviewed a few weeks ago. I loved that my interview group had THREE people as opposed to my most recent group of thirty. It's really laid back.. seriously. People are cool. Just figure out if YOU like the school or not. And Suwanee, the town it's in, is wonderful. Have fun :)

30??? Wow, my group had about 8...

Just got my interview invite for Dec 2! Hope they're cool with rescheduling though because I have a final that day (university final that can't be moved)! Do they have any issues/is it frowned upon to reschedule an interview? I've heard a few people had this problem at other places.

Got my acceptance letter today. Already filled out the new student form and wrote out the tuition prepayment check. I'm going to mail it off tomorrow.

Got my acceptance letter today. Already filled out the new student form and wrote out the tuition prepayment check. I'm going to mail it off tomorrow.

congrats! what was your interview date? i interviewded oct 20th and haven't heard anything...

congrats! what was your interview date? i interviewded oct 20th and haven't heard anything...

I interviewed October 28th. The admissions committee met the 5th. I'm sure you'll hear in a day or two.

Has anybody else heard anything? It sure seems to be taking a while.

Hey ya'll I don't know if you have checked out our posts from 2012 GA PCOM class but we have asked a ton of the same questions as you and some answers may be there!! I know that a lot of us wrote about our experiences right after our interviews also and I think that helped a lot of people that interviewed afterwards. If you have any questions feel free to PM me i'm also a first year, although texastri and jwalker seem to have it under control :) :)

Last edited:
I know some of you were wondering my outcome since my interview primarily focused on my mcat score. I called Buffie around 7:00 pm Georgia time and she answered and told me I was on hold pending new MCAT scores. She said I had a great evaluation (they evaluate on a thirty point scale). I'm not retaking the MCAT due to other acceptances and will be withdrawing. I'm thinking the letters might have been lost because she said they were sent a while ago.

Sooo, this is the first post I'm making on studentdoc, even though I've regularly checked it over the past few weeks/months. I got my acceptance letter in the mail on Friday, so I figured I'd give everbody a rough snapshot of how things went down for me; I know I was really curious when I was going through it all.

Mid-June - Primary app completed and sent out (verified about a month later)
9/8 - Secondary received from GA-PCOM
9/24 - Secondary mailed out
11/4 - Notification of interview
11/11 - Interview
11/19 - Adcom meeting
11/28 - Received letter in the mail!

I'm really excited to come to PCOM because everybody seemed really nice and every aspect of the campus was topnotch. If anybody has questions, feel free to msg me! I know it's a rough and humbling process, but don't give up.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
AliDO this is my story also, I will not be retaking the MCAT in Jan due to other acceptances. Good luck to everyone though.

Hi,

I have an interview coming up at PCOM-GA :). Does anyone have any information on the school's clinical rotations or the location options 3rd and 4th year students have to complete those last two years?

For example, Touro-CA lets its students complete their 3rd and 4th years outside of CA, in particular, Michigan.

So, does anyone know if PCOM-GA allows its studetns to do their clinical years in any midwest states, such as Michigan?

Random question...but very curious.

Thanks!

Heh, I'm still deciding between schools but 90% sure on PCOM-GA so.....I made a facebook group. I think it's easier to communicate (don't think there's one up yet). ;)
http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=57202631&k=Z51T3ZU6P3ZOUCGHXFW3TUV

I asked about doing rotations outside the country and my interviewers said it was possible (although no one has done this yet since the school is very "new"). Probably have to get permission from the dean before hand, but they seemed very open to it (so Michigan would probably be okay.) BTW, phili students (and maybe us???) do an underserved clinical rotation chosen by the student and have been places like africa, india, israel, & native american reservations......

Heh, I'm still deciding between schools but 90% sure on PCOM-GA so.....I made a facebook group. I think it's easier to communicate (don't think there's one up yet). ;)
http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=57202631&k=Z51T3ZU6P3ZOUCGHXFW3TUV

I asked about doing rotations outside the country and my interviewers said it was possible (although no one has done this yet since the school is very "new"). Probably have to get permission from the dean before hand, but they seemed very open to it (so Michigan would probably be okay.) BTW, phili students (and maybe us???) do an underserved clinical rotation chosen by the student and have been places like africa, india, israel, & native american reservations......
I could swear some people were talking about doing a rotation abroad pretty recently. I can't remember who it was though, or anything about the conversation. I may actually be lying, now that I think about it. We had an exam this morning and my brain is fried. Why am I awake?

Anyone know when the GA committee meets? It's almost been a month without any word on the status of my application... I tried calling them but they said that after an interview, there was nothing else the Office of Admissions could tell me.

The interview on Monday and Tuesday, then the committee meets on Wednesday. Maybe they're waiting for your semester grades?

I am in the process of sending in the letter of interest to PCOM-GA. Whom should I address it to? Does Ms. Benvenger handle Georgia admissions also?

Thank you.

I am in the process of sending in the letter of interest to PCOM-GA. Whom should I address it to? Does Ms. Benvenger handle Georgia admissions also?

Thank you.

Talk to Buffie at the GA campus first, or maybe Carol Fox at the PA campus. Not sure who Ms. Bevenger is, but i think Carol Fox is the head of admissions at both campuses.

Hey everyone,

I just received an invitation for an interview next week. My file was complete just before Christmas. I'm looking forward to going down there, the facilities look pretty nice!

Hey everyone,

I just received an invitation for an interview next week. My file was complete just before Christmas. I'm looking forward to going down there, the facilities look pretty nice!

What day is your interview? I'll be there on Monday (12th) for mine.

Whats up all? I'm a current 1st year at GA-PCOM and am glad you all are considering joining us here. I see there has been some really good input given already by some of my classmates.

Anyways, here are my feelings on a few things:

It is definitely possible to do rotations outside of the state of GA and is even encouraged if you have close ties to a state (e.g. Florida).

Just guessing, but out of country rotations are impossible/improbable (as far as I know).

The class size here is relatively small (~90), which is kind of nice because you build some really great relationships and get to know pretty much everyone in your class.

Finally, since the school is so new the faculty remains relatively open to changes. On top of this, us students are making every possible stride to make each and every term and year better for future students. This is something that I doubt most schools have and prospective students should really appreciate.

Feel free to PM me or my classmates if you have any questions. I will always be honest about my feelings about the school.

Whats up all? I'm a current 1st year at GA-PCOM and am glad you all are considering joining us here. I see there has been some really good input given already by some of my classmates.

Anyways, here are my feelings on a few things:

It is definitely possible to do rotations outside of the state of GA and is even encouraged if you have close ties to a state (e.g. Florida).

Just guessing, but out of country rotations are impossible/improbable (as far as I know).

The class size here is relatively small (~90), which is kind of nice because you build some really great relationships and get to know pretty much everyone in your class.

Finally, since the school is so new the faculty remains relatively open to changes. On top of this, us students are making every possible stride to make each and every term and year better for future students. This is something that I doubt most schools have and prospective students should really appreciate.

Feel free to PM me or my classmates if you have any questions. I will always be honest about my feelings about the school.

Do you know when binders are typically sent out?

I know this school is fairly new, but can someone tell me the ave GPA and MCAT of accepted students? I have a OV 3.4,Sci 3.1, MCAT 23, research hours 800+, clinical hours 900+ and wondering how competitive I am.

I know this school is fairly new, but can someone tell me the ave GPA and MCAT of accepted students? I have a OV 3.4,Sci 3.1, MCAT 23, research hours 800+, clinical hours 900+ and wondering how competitive I am.

I think my interviewer said the MCAT average was about 25. GPA was like a 3.4 overall. I know it's getting more competitive with each year. Your ECs look really good, but do you have volunteering hours as well?

I think my interviewer said the MCAT average was about 25. GPA was like a 3.4 overall. I know it's getting more competitive with each year. Your ECs look really good, but do you have volunteering hours as well?

all of my clinical hours are volunteer hours

Someone I think told me 3.5/26 at the beginning of the year. I know they are all over the place. I know a lot of people who were competitive at many different schools. I don't know if anyone really knows the average, and with such a wide range, I think a median might be a more useful value. Or if you could see the entire distribution.

all of my clinical hours are volunteer hours

That's good. As long as you have plenty of patient exposure, whether through shadowing or as a clinic volunteer, that looks great on your file. Have you also been volunteering outside of a clinical setting?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw your stats on the ATSU thread...I think you have a good shot. Have you already submitted a secondary for PCOM? If so, you could get an interview. Otherwise, it's getting pretty late to start your app for GA-PCOM.

That's good. As long as you have plenty of patient exposure, whether through shadowing or as a clinic volunteer, that looks great on your file. Have you also been volunteering outside of a clinical setting?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw your stats on the ATSU thread...I think you have a good shot. Have you already submitted a secondary for PCOM? If so, you could get an interview. Otherwise, it's getting pretty late to start your app for GA-PCOM.

I had my secondary for GA completed Late OCT, that's why I'm curious how competitive I am b/c I haven't heard anything. I talked with admissions and they said the class is only half full. So...:xf:

So I just called and my file is done being reviewed... If I thought I was a nervous wreck before, well, its nothing compared to now! Does anyone know how long it will take for me to get the news (good or bad) about interviews?

I read they send it through email so that would mean pretty quick.

Oh well, heres to hoping :xf:

Good luck! I think I got my interview invitation about one to two weeks after my file was complete.

anybody heard anything from the january 20th interview cycle? Hoping to hear some good news.. loved the campus and the people...good luck to all

ACCEPTED!!! Going to PCOM-Ga in the fall.
PCOM-Ga class of 2013

I got in too!!! I interviewed on January 13th. Congrats to everyone else who's been accepted!

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew the exact schedule of clinical rotations for M3 and M4 years at PCOM-Ga. Are they the exact same schedule as one would do at PCOM PHilly because that is the only schedule I can seem to find on the website? Just wondering what specialties are covered and when and if the reason I cannot find it for Ga PCOM is because it follows the same as PCOM Philly schedule. Also is there like a white coat ceremony at the Georgia campus? Sometimes schools mention this and I dont recall if they said anything about it here?

Last edited:
as far as rotations go, I'm not really thinking of them right now, and to a certain extent, you need not worry yet either. The exact schedule for rotations is different for everyone. During 2nd year, you will have a lottery and be put into a group and you guys will sort out who goes where, when. however, you will all at some point hit the same rotations, just in different orders. 4th years have a lot of electives, so you can feel out different residency programs and get some face time in based on what you want to do. dont know a whole lot more than that at this point. yes, we have a white coat at the end of first trimester, which is like 2nd week in november.

Although I already posted a similar message on another SDN forum, I wanted to join the fun here, too!

I interviewed at GA-PCOM on Jan 5th and received informal word that I'd been accepted after the admissions committee met on Jan 21st. Then, I received the formal acceptance letter on Thursday, Jan 29th, so I'm really pumped up, and ready to get started in August!!! I've already mailed back the forms and deposit, so I'm looking forward to meeting all of you as we become doctors together.

For those still waiting and pondering GPAs and MCAT, my MCAT was 28 (Q on the writing, if I remember correctly). My overall GPA was only 2.6, but that's because I totally trashed my first pass at college. When I got my head on straight, my last 100 hours of work was just over 3.6. That's the most crucial thing I had to address in the interview, and I left feeling like the interviewers were convinced that I had demonstrated my true academic colors. I also had over 10 years as a paramedic in a variety of very interesting environments, and had a couple of good doctor reference letters, so I'm sure that helped.

The bottom line is that I don't think PCOM rules you out on numbers, but looks at the whole picture. Because I am an older non-traditional student, I didn't think I had a great chance, but I am very thankful that I made it, and will get to be a part of this class!

Go GA-PCOM Class of 2013!!!

Thats great oldmedicjt. Congrats!! I'm 99% sure I'll be attending PCOM-GA in the fall, so hopefully I'll see you then. I am torn between PCOM-GA and Nova... definitely leaning towards pcom. :) The only thing is that Nova is so much cheaper.

Thats great oldmedicjt. Congrats!! I'm 99% sure I'll be attending PCOM-GA in the fall, so hopefully I'll see you then. I am torn between PCOM-GA and Nova... definitely leaning towards pcom. :) The only thing is that Nova is so much cheaper.

Although your cost of living would be higher in South Florida than in suburban Atlanta.

True. However, the tuition is $10,000 cheaper at Nova. They also have a great match list. I can't wait for the match list to come out for PCOM-GA which should be soon I think (Feb? and March?). I have a feeling the list is gonna look pretty darn good.

True. However, the tuition is $10,000 cheaper at Nova. They also have a great match list. I can't wait for the match list to come out for PCOM-GA which should be soon I think (Feb? and March?). I have a feeling the list is gonna look pretty darn good.

Here's the match list for both campuses.

http://www.pcom.edu/Student_Life/Student_Affairs_Main/Match_List.html

They don't break it down, but I would guess that most of the Southeastern residencies were filled by the Georgia grads.

Actually, that list refers to the graduates of PCOM-PA (2008 graduating class). PCOM-GA's first class will be graduating this coming July. Therefore, there is no match list out there yet. But it should be available pretty soon.

You're right. Nevermind, I got the years messed up. I would predict that the Georgia grads will do just as well as the PA grads.

You're right. Nevermind, I got the years messed up. I would predict that the Georgia grads will do just as well as the PA grads.

No doubt! I feel like all of the schools' match lists are very similar, not one school's list is significantly better than others. They all have a few amazing matches (i.e. Johns Hopkins, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, etc.) and a large amount of good matches. All the same. :)