PCOM - Atlanta Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,
I've been complete at GA-PCOM for one month, yesterday. This is my top choice and I'm sooo anxious to hear back from them about an interview (hopefully...)!! When do you guys think I should call them or shoot them an e-mail? My goal was to wait until Friday if I didn't hear back, but should I wait longer?

I know it sucks waiting for an invite to come in the email, but try and be patient. Did you call the office and confirm once and for all that your file was complete? I'd say just to be sure, call the philly office and double check, and maybe by them looking up your info, that will help to get the ball rolling for you. I think this is an exception to the rule, but last year i was waiting for my file to be complete, i called to check, and they were missing an LOR from interfolio. I contacted interfolio, they contacted PCOM, and they faxed it to them since it was never received. The next day I got my interview invite. Good luck and dont worry, it will come.

Members don't see this ad.

I got my financial aid disbursemment letter in the mail today so you are in luck. To briefly answer your question about financial aid, youre gonna have to fill out fafsa and go through stafford loans unless you have a rich relative. The max for stafford loans per year is $40,500, so thats what you will get. $8,500 of that is subsidized and 32,000 of it is unsubsidized, so you will end up paying greater interest on the larger amount. Theres a fixed interest rate for these loans at 6.8%. Annual tuition, fees, etc comes out to be 36,500 or thereabouts, so your stafford loans will cover all that stuff, plus leave about 4000 extra for books, equipment, and other stuff. If you need monthly money to live on to pay for rent, car, food, etc, then you need to go for a federal grad plus loan. I think the max that you can borrow per school year is $21,000 for that, which is more than enough. Thats an 8.5% interest rate, so if you dont need 21k a year, only take what you need to prevent paying interest on money you dont use. Once you get accepted(hopefully), then you can start worrying about filling out all the logistics and filling out all the paperwork, but dont be timid, people have been doing this for a long time and it eventuall gets paid off. Of course another option would be to join the military and let the goveernment pay your tuition and give you a nice monthly allowance plus a 20 grand signing bonus, but thats another topic. If you have more specific questions, ask 'em. Who interviewed you by the way? I saw you guys but never got to say hi.

Thank you so very much for answering my question! I can't remember the names of my interviewer, but one was a radiologist and the other was a pharmacologist. I hope that helps. Thanks again! That really makes a HUGE difference! :)

Thank you so very much for answering my question! I can't remember the names of my interviewer, but one was a radiologist and the other was a pharmacologist. I hope that helps. Thanks again! That really makes a HUGE difference! :)

no prob. the radiologist was Dr. Katz, but I dont know who teaches pharm yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that applied to both Philly and GA campuses, did you send two sets of LOR's? If so, how do they actually distinguish between them? Both are to be sent to the same address??
Thanks!

I was just wondering how Ga-PCOM prepares students for the COMLEX. Any special programs or anything like that? Also, how are the scores? Thanks!

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Work this week has been really crazy.

I was interviewed by Drs. Aduonum and Jenney.
Jenny is cool. We get him next term.

Is Aduonum the lady from Ghana? I haven't met her, but I have heard that she is a pretty tough professor. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I was just wondering how Ga-PCOM prepares students for the COMLEX. Any special programs or anything like that? Also, how are the scores? Thanks!
Word is they've been bringing in Goljan to give the board prep course. Not sure if they plan to continue this or not.

I have no idea what the board scores are at all, but now that I've been around this environment for a while and I kind of know how things work, I wouldn't read too much into this one way or another. I've talked to a few 3rd-year students who have given me a little insight as well. Board prep is largely going to be on your own initiative, wherever you go, and every student is going to have different goals. If you want to really blow the doors off the boards, it is going to be up to you. There is no doubt that the school will provide you with the knowledge to do however well you want. How well you learn it is going to depend on how hard you work. This will be the same at any school.

I do get the impression that our students are extremely well-prepared for clerkships, and often do exceptionally well on them. That is going to be nearly as important as board scores. They really do a lot of clinical prep stuff with us. Particularly with the 2nd-year class. They have standardized pt stuff almost constantly, and they tie it in with their coursework pretty well.

Does anyone know if PCOM-GA has a student-host program for us poor interviewees?

I know it sucks waiting for an invite to come in the email, but try and be patient. Did you call the office and confirm once and for all that your file was complete? I'd say just to be sure, call the philly office and double check, and maybe by them looking up your info, that will help to get the ball rolling for you. I think this is an exception to the rule, but last year i was waiting for my file to be complete, i called to check, and they were missing an LOR from interfolio. I contacted interfolio, they contacted PCOM, and they faxed it to them since it was never received. The next day I got my interview invite. Good luck and dont worry, it will come.

Yeah, I was out of town when I called to see if I was complete and once I got home I had already received a letter from them saying I was complete. This was all around September 13th. I called Buffie today and left a message but I dunno if she'll return my call. Do you guys know if she's pretty good at returning calls? I know some schools will never call you back or it may take weeks :confused:

Does anyone know if PCOM-GA has a student-host program for us poor interviewees?

no, we dont have a formal applicant stay with student program that I know of, but I bet you there are some students who wouldnt mind hosting you. When are you interviewing? post a few details and you might get some offers.

Yeah, I was out of town when I called to see if I was complete and once I got home I had already received a letter from them saying I was complete. This was all around September 13th. I called Buffie today and left a message but I dunno if she'll return my call. Do you guys know if she's pretty good at returning calls? I know some schools will never call you back or it may take weeks :confused:

While Buffie is awesome about everything in the office, my personal mantra on this subject is this: call again before waiting to be called back. So many times when I was calling different schools last season, people never called me back, so I found it was always better to try and catch them while they're in the office.

no, we dont have a formal applicant stay with student program that I know of, but I bet you there are some students who wouldnt mind hosting you. When are you interviewing? post a few details and you might get some offers.

Early November. If anyone is willing, I'll send you a PM with the details.

I got an email today for an interview at PCOM-GA. My first interview this year. Just to give other applicants an idea, I sent my letters through interfolio 9/30. Got a secondary 10/3 and mailed it off 10/5.

If you have any advice, please let me know. My interview is Tuesday, October 28th. Email says I'm supposed to be there at 11 for lunch, tour at 12:30 and interview at 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did someone answer how long it takes to get a reply after the interview??

I'm just coming back from my interview there yesterday. I am a reapplicant but this is my first interview this cycle and my first DO interview. My email told me to arrive at 11 with my interview starting at 2:30. There were 5 people (all guys) in my interview group. I arrived around 10:45 and just sat around for a little while until our student guide arrived. We split into two groups led by 2nd year students. The campus is nice, and all very new, but you can see everything in about 15 minutes if you wanted to. Don't expect to come here and see a sprawling university campus with a huge hospital. But as far as getting a medical education, the facilities were excellent. The patient simulation rooms looked great and everything seems to be top notch as far as quality and technology goes. We had lunch around 12 and interviews started at 1. They did 2 interviews at a time and both were done by 2 faculty members. I interviewed with Drs Watson and Buxton (sp?). Both were PhD faculty members.

Everything is completely laid back including my interviews. We just sat and chatted for about an hour and that was that. They said that the committee meets every 2-3 weeks and most people have a final decision in that time. They also said that this years class was almost 90 students and the eventual goal was to increase the class size to ~120 students. So that is good news for people applying here on out.

Overall it was a great experience and this school is going to stay on my short list. I just hope I get accepted!

what is a good hotel near by to stay at?

I plan on mailing off my secondary app. this weekend. I received the app. back on August 11th. Do any current students think I am at a great disadvantage since I am sending my secondary now, about 2 and a half months after receiving it?

Thanks for any input!

well, they do stamp it with a date for a reason. All you can do is send it in and see what happens. I doubt they'll automatically reject you because of it, but they might realize they were a second choice. Why did you wait so long?

For those of you who have interviewed or been accepted I was wondering if you could help me out. I am nervous that I am applying a bit late in the process (Just submitted my AACOMAS this week :( ). I am from South Carolina and was looking at PCOM-Ga as one of my choices. I graduated from WOfford College with a BS in biology and neurouscience. I have a 3.77 non sci GPA, 3.25 sci GPA (C in organic really hurt me) and a 3.49 cumm GPA with a 27T MCAT. I have good volunteer ECs, 200 hours in SPartanburg regional healthcare, 3 major research projects one at the genomics institue at Clemson University, and work now full in the ER back home as a multi skilled tech with a bunch of DOs. I have a LOR from a DO at work, 2 from research mentors, and my committee eval. I am nervous about where I stand considering I wont be getting everything in until probably mid to late November. What do you think my chances of acceptance this year could be from those of you who have already been there? Thanks for your help

I'm also in SC and just finished my secondary for PCOM-GA tonight. IMO I'm already late just getting the secondary out in almost-November. Keep in mind it takes a loooonnnnngggg time for your AACOMAS to be verified (mine took 7 weeks) and none of your schools will see it until it is verified. I do think they're moving a little faster now but I just happened to submit in mid-August when everybody else was submitting.
IF PCOM-GA ever gets to see your app, I think you'll have a decent shot, but it will be very late in the cycle. Are you applying to USC-Columbia & MUSC? You should probably at least try. Also if you are upstate you might try MCG in Augusta (my app got put on hold as OOS but they do take a few SC students every year, particularly ones in upstate).
My goddaughters are in Atlanta (half of the reason I'm here in SC actually, they were in Spartanburg when I moved from Oregon 2.5 years ago) so PCOM-GA would be a good fit in a lot of ways.
Good luck to you. Hope the process will move a little faster for you than it moved for me.
:)
Lisa

For those of you who have interviewed or been accepted I was wondering if you could help me out. I am nervous that I am applying a bit late in the process (Just submitted my AACOMAS this week :( ). I am from South Carolina and was looking at PCOM-Ga as one of my choices. I graduated from WOfford College with a BS in biology and neurouscience. I have a 3.77 non sci GPA, 3.25 sci GPA (C in organic really hurt me) and a 3.49 cumm GPA with a 27T MCAT. I have good volunteer ECs, 200 hours in SPartanburg regional healthcare, 3 major research projects one at the genomics institue at Clemson University, and work now full in the ER back home as a multi skilled tech with a bunch of DOs. I have a LOR from a DO at work, 2 from research mentors, and my committee eval. I am nervous about where I stand considering I wont be getting everything in until probably mid to late November. What do you think my chances of acceptance this year could be from those of you who have already been there? Thanks for your help

i like your chances. fill out the secondary now and send it in asap along with all your LOR's and as soon as your AACOMAS is verified, you will be good to go. interviews go into like april or may, so you still have time if you hurry.

I am not sure how things have changed, but I submitted AACOMAS in January and was accepted (this was ~four years ago). Good luck to you all.

Well i am sure this has already been answered but how long did it take to get an interview invite once ya'll varified that all secondary materials were in? I know not everyone gets an interview right away, but I would just like to judge my chances using some sort of time line. Thanks

Well i am sure this has already been answered but how long did it take to get an interview invite once ya'll varified that all secondary materials were in? I know not everyone gets an interview right away, but I would just like to judge my chances using some sort of time line. Thanks

I had my secondaries in about three months ago. For some reason they weren't getting my LOR and I sent them twice. I let them know I had sent them a couple of times (first one being three months ago) and so the day I was complete (finally!) I got an interview invite. I think most people it takes 2-3 weeks for them to review your entire app. They had already probably reviewed mine, but just wanted to make sure I would meet their LOR requirements.

Well... I've been complete at GA-PCOM since September 13th and I still have heard nothing! I heard from PCOM in Philly almost immediately but I dunno what's taking so long in ATL. I've already called twice to make sure everything was in and okay and both times they said my file was waiting to be reviewed and that I'd basically have to keep waiting. :( Pretty frustrating but I guess it's just different for everyone. Not sure why though because I know some people that have been complete around my time and have already heard back. Oh well.

pretty stoked that I'm going to be a Doc!!!

interviewed 10/6, adcom meeting 10/15 (they meet every two weeks from what I can tell), recieved letter in the mail 10/29

good luck everyone

so, I'm interviewing tomorrow. Any last minute words of advice?

Does anybody know when the next admissions committee meeting is for GA-PCOM?

What is the average GPA and MCAT for students accepted? I cannot find much of anything on the website!

I believe that the committee meets every 2 weeks around the 15th and 30th of each month.

I have a 3.15 UGPA 33MCAT

Hi everyone,

This is Buffie at the Georgia Campus in the Admissions Office, I know that people have lots of questions so Please send me an email (I travel ALOT right now and phone messages do get returned, but takes me until I get back on campus to do so)

My email is [email protected]. If you put your phone number in the email I WILL give a call.

Thanks!
Buffie :luck:

I know several of you have interviewed, so please take 10 minutes and post your feedback HERE.

It looks like PCOM-GA is not on the list for feedback, but that's only because most of us go to the section to read feedback, then enter if from there. Thus, nobody has gone to the section to create feedback, which is different. After the first person creates a review, more will likely follow, as the school will be on the same list as all the other ones. :thumbup::thumbup:

Anyone who interviewed on or around 20-OCT-2008 hear anything yet?

So I just interviewed at LMU-DCOM today and as soon as I got in my car to go home I received an email from GA-PCOM saying I have an interview next Tuesday the 11th. This is amazing new because it is one of my top schools!!!!

So here's my deal, I did poorly on the MCAT and was wondering if they would automatically wait list me (assuming they liked me) just to see what my Jan score is?!?!? Or would they just have waited to interview me in Feb if that was the case....

I did not think I would get any interviews this cycle, and have received two from my top 2 schools now so I am starting to think that they are willing to look past my flaw, (everything else looks good except MCAT)....

Also does anyone know their interview/acceptance ratio, i know they only accept like 90 but wasn't sure how many are interviwed?!?!?!

So I just interviewed at LMU-DCOM today and as soon as I got in my car to go home I received an email from GA-PCOM saying I have an interview next Tuesday the 11th. This is amazing new because it is one of my top schools!!!!

So here's my deal, I did poorly on the MCAT and was wondering if they would automatically wait list me (assuming they liked me) just to see what my Jan score is?!?!? Or would they just have waited to interview me in Feb if that was the case....

I did not think I would get any interviews this cycle, and have received two from my top 2 schools now so I am starting to think that they are willing to look past my flaw, (everything else looks good except MCAT)....

Also does anyone know their interview/acceptance ratio, i know they only accept like 90 but wasn't sure how many are interviwed?!?!?!

That's funny you posted this. I interviewed at GA-PCOM on Monday and had sent them a letter several months ago about my intention of retaking the MCAT in January. I was surprised to even receive an interview. Anyway, at my interview they basically told me that I had many positives and a great interview but should still plan on retaking the MCAT (which leads me to believe they will put me on post interview hold). Of course I don't know what they will do. If that is the case I don't really understand why they wouldn't have just put me on pre interview hold. I hope they just go ahead and accept me! Be prepared to discuss it though. They were very friendly about it, just wanted to discuss it. I also interviewed at LMU and was accepted. How did you like it? I was very impressed. Good luck with the app. cycyle!

just my opinion, but you wouldnt have gotten the interview invite if they werent interested in you as applicant. That means your MCAT score made it by a primary screening and you are set for the interview. Don't worry about the MCAT anymore, just prep for your interview, shine bright, and never think of the MCAT again. about acceptance/interview info...i have no idea, but you are interviewing early in the cycle so your chances are definitely better now then later. good luck tuesday

So I called PCOM today and asked what their stats were as far as how many apply, interview, acceptances.

They are trying to work up to 120 acceptances eventually

they had about 2500 people apply last year (give or take a person or two)

They interview 300

Accept 80-90

So if you got an interview you are in the top 12%, and if you are accepted = around the top 4%

They accept more than 80-90. The total class is 80-90. I am told that they are moving it up to 120, but I'm not sure if that is for this upcoming class or not. I know that the classrooms we currently use would not support that many.

They probably accept about 150, with some of those choosing to go elsewhere. A couple of my friends were accepted I think less than a week before school started too.

I interviewed about this time last year, and I got my acceptance within about a week. Good luck, and feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions about the school, and you want a student's perspective. Or if you want topless pictures of JWalker9 in blue body paint.

So I sent my secondary in on October 20 (overnight) and had everything else sent that day as well. I've called PCOM to see if my application is complete and they only have my AACOMAS on file. They did tell me it could take 4 weeks to be entered into the system, but I was wondering if anyone else's secondary took this long?

So I sent my secondary in on October 20 (overnight) and had everything else sent that day as well. I've called PCOM to see if my application is complete and they only have my AACOMAS on file. They did tell me it could take 4 weeks to be entered into the system, but I was wondering if anyone else's secondary took this long?

Pianoman90,
My AACOMAS was verified August 20th & I received my secondaries September 2nd & submitted them September 5th.
I've been complete (including secondary) since September 13th & still have not heard back :(
I've called the admissions office a few times since it's been so long and supposedly they're working on it!

They received my secondary Oct. 20, notified me on Nov. 4 for an interview on Nov. 17

docman -- I'm also in a similar situation with another school in that I was granted an interview but told to retake the MCAT in January. something then must be working in my favor? not sure.

best wishes!!! an interview gets one foot in the door -- be sure to rock it! ;)

So I had my interview yesterday, and everything went well until they brought up my MCAT which I did poorly. I felt I had a valid excuse by not having completed all of my pre reqs, but after that interview I am almost 100% sure I am waitlisted.... I think they were planning on waitlisting me before I even got there because of my score...

This really pisses me off, if they want to wait and see what my Jan MCAT will be then fine, wait until Jan to interview me, instead they probably had it predetermined that if they liked me it would be an automatic waitlist this is what I was afraid of going in.... Do many schools do this?!?!?!?

Other than this they were very complementary and told me I was an outstanding candidate that met everything they were looking for. I have always heard that you cannot get rejected because of one thing, but it appears that one thing will keep me out....

Any input is more than welcome..

So I had my interview yesterday, and everything went well until they brought up my MCAT which I did poorly. I felt I had a valid excuse by not having completed all of my pre reqs, but after that interview I am almost 100% sure I am waitlisted.... I think they were planning on waitlisting me before I even got there because of my score...

This really pisses me off, if they want to wait and see what my Jan MCAT will be then fine, wait until Jan to interview me, instead they probably had it predetermined that if they liked me it would be an automatic waitlist this is what I was afraid of going in.... Do many schools do this?!?!?!?

Other than this they were very complementary and told me I was an outstanding candidate that met everything they were looking for. I have always heard that you cannot get rejected because of one thing, but it appears that one thing will keep me out....

What did you score on the MCAT? Consider yourself blessed to receive an interview now as opposed to several months down the road, when their acceptance list may be filling up. Since you got an interview, they obviously think that you are a qualified candidate, but they may just want to see your score improve slightly. If you retake it and improve, just call the admissions weekly and stay on top of them. Also, you could write a letter of intent to help boost your application.

yea, they basically told me I'd be waitlisted last week. I'll let you know what happens when I get my letter. Good luck! Maybe they just wanted to see what we had to say?

I finally heard from GA-PCOM and received an interview invite for Monday, Nov 24th!! :D I'm SOO excited!! Any advice from recent interviewees?? Anyone interviewing the same day??

Anyone know when the GA committee meets? It's almost been a month without any word on the status of my application... I tried calling them but they said that after an interview, there was nothing else the Office of Admissions could tell me.