PCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I was just wondering if anyone had an email address for someone in admissions - preferably the director or assistant director. All that is posted is the [email protected] or whatever, and I was looking for something a little more personal to have a question answered by someone other than the administrative staff. If anyone has an email address It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I was just wondering if anyone had an email address for someone in admissions - preferably the director or assistant director. All that is posted is the [email protected] or whatever, and I was looking for something a little more personal to have a question answered by someone other than the administrative staff. If anyone has an email address It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I've emailed admissions@ before and had my question forwarded and answered by someone else.

I totally disagree with this. Ive never taken the LSAT, but when I took the SATs there was no critical thinking involved. You cant do the analogies without knowing the words and the math problems were math problems, straight forward, except for the 7 word problems or whatever it was. Ive heard the LSAT is pretty similar. The MCAT isnt a perfect test and I agree it may not be the best predictor of success or ability, but it definitely takes more intelligence to do good on the MCAT than the SATs. Often times questions in the PS part of the test combine knowledge from chemistry and physics, but they put in tricks that you have to think about.

The reason you have people who score 25 then take the course and do better is because they didnt have the disipline to study on their own and the course forces them to adhere to a schedule.

How good a predictor is this for med school I have no idea.

Actually, the analogies were removed from the SAT's many years ago. And the reasoning was just as you said- success on the exam shouldn't depend entirely upon the knowledge of a small and trivial set of vocab words. The analogies were replaced with more reading comprehension passages. No offense, really, but I have taught high school math for years and in that role have taught the SAT review class more times than I can count. I know that test, verbal and math, inside and out and also know the limits to which I can prepare unprepared kids to take it. That you would say there is "no critical thinking involved" leads me to assume you don't remember the test very well or took a very outdated version decades ago. The math section gives you all the applicable formulas (therefore you are not relying upon formula memorization), covers only very basic content up through Algebra II (no trig or pre-calc required) and focuses heavily upon conceptual and logical questions as opposed to basic calculations. It's not a math content test at all.

As for the LSAT, I have taken it and scored very well (172). The test required no prior content knowledge. It was three sections (reading passages/comprehension questions, logical reasoning and analytical reasoning) followed by a writing prompt. Whoever you heard from that the LSAT is similar to the SAT and requires no critical thinking is insane, sorry. That's all it is.

And your last point- that the reason people's scores jump so drastically with a course is because they can't motivate themselves to study on their own and need it structurally spoon fed to them- is kind of exactly my point. Think about it. Undisciplined people with $2-3k cash to burn get the higher score when undisciplined people who cannot afford it don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
the depth to which one has mastered scientific material over the course of several college years

Once you add this element it becomes something that is teachable. And influenced over the short term. I didn't study the 2nd time I took the MCAT, I just taught for a year for Kaplan. I didn't become smarter, I just became faster.
I totally agree it is imperfect and there are flaws, but I would say it is better than non-content related material for testing. And nothing is going to be a perfect predictor.

As much as I hated the mcat and how little/none of the content really matters as a practicing physician, I feel that it is just about the closest that undergrad can be tested for med school. In a way, the experience is similar. You are learning lots of content in both undergrad and medical school, all of which can be mastered, reviewed, and tested. The process of preparing for mcats, imho, is pretty similar to the boards, afaik. It's just that the boards appear to underscore analysis, decision making, ddx, etc...I think?

I also found some similarity in the testing process as you would care for a patient:
  • (1=PS) Review lab results, ekgs, radiology studies, begin to form an impression
  • (2=VR) Speak the patient (who may be describing her love for her cat instead), talk to nursing staff, read patient H&Ps, etc, all the while getting interrupted 20 times along the way
  • (3=Writing) Chart, write out orders, dictate, etc
  • (4=BS) Relate 1,2,3,4 into forming a diagnosis and a medication plan
  • (5=....) Talk to the patient and wait to see what happens...for about a month...
To me VR is more of a pain than anything. PS and BS clearly is much closer to understanding (>>> memorizing) archaic formulas, calculations involving units, looking at material that is somewhat similar to what you are used to, and drawing conclusions based upon your understanding...that seems to be a very close approximation. You have to memorize facts, details, conditions, mechanisms, treatment plans, and be able to rationalize and understand how to recognize them in and out of context.

VR, on the other hand, seemed to stress being approached with a situation that was totally unlike what you are used to (e.g., the author's opinions regarding 1700 women's paintings and the political fallout thereafter or an editor reflecting on the emerging BoboJazz trends during the depression) and rewarding those who guesstimate an answer and severely punishing those who are thorough.

As for the prep courses, as much as I dislike how common/required they have become, I feel that it values motivation, dedication, perseverance, and the desire to pursue your dreams regardless of the time, cost, and personal sacrifice. The courses hands down assist those those who have money to burn through, but occassionally some people live better by a schedule (or a long line of patients waiting to be treated). Others can get more support from spouses and employers by saying "My class starts tomorrow and I'll see you after this date".

But GPA seems to be a better measure of dedication,etc, imho, but that's just me...

Practice: ~ PS=12, Vr=7, BS=12
Actual: 9,7P,10

(Still deciding to donate, shelve, or burn all mcat-related material...)

Last edited:
wow not a lot of PCOM related talk recently! :p

For those of you that are already accepted, has anyone gotten that packet yet from PCOM? I received the financial aid packet yesterday (2/7), with no nucleus password or anything. Anyone? Bacchus you live in Philly, did you get/hear anything?

i didn't get that either..just the finaid stuff. does anyone know when orientation actually starts?

Would one of you who received the financial aid information already please post it? I wanted to find out how much tuition and living expenses are, and was having trouble finding this information out on my own.

Thanks so much!

I called them a few weeks ago just to get an idea of when I should move to Philly. They said that orientation starts Aug 10th.

When is everyone planning on moving there? I was going to give myself 2-3 weeks to get acclimated before the steamroller tears through.

Finally got an interview for March 4th

I'm really excited I just got an interview invite from PCOM for March 5th! I was just wondering if anyone had any interview tips (possible questions etc) to help ease the nerves?

thanks!!!!!

Would one of you who received the financial aid information already please post it? I wanted to find out how much tuition and living expenses are, and was having trouble finding this information out on my own.

Thanks so much!
I didn't find a cost in the financial aid packet for tuition. Tuition this year was ~37,000 (I may be off by a 1,000) and according to their financial reassurance letter from the president (online) tuition has only been increasing 2-3% a year. I'd expect cost of living to be around 20,000 but that seems high to me, after living in Philadelphia for the past 3.5 years.

Items in the packet:
Financial aid application for PCOM merit awards
FAFSA
Entrance counseling (which indicates DOs of 2008 had an average debt of 185,000)
A form for financial aid
A letter detailing everything
Financial aid brochure that is available on their website, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really excited I just got an interview invite from PCOM for March 5th! I was just wondering if anyone had any interview tips (possible questions etc) to help ease the nerves?

thanks!!!!!

Just relax. It was a really relaxed interview. I was with Deb though, and she was super nice. My interview was only 15 min!!! And I was worried about that, but that was it, I got in. They asked me like 4 questions, the typical ones, Why DO, Why medicine, etc. Asked me about my research. What I do to relax. And after that asked me if I had any questions.

Always ask questions, even if you know the answer (3 or more). That is key I believe.

Just relax. It was a really relaxed interview. I was with Deb though, and she was super nice. My interview was only 15 min!!! And I was worried about that, but that was it, I got in. They asked me like 4 questions, the typical ones, Why DO, Why medicine, etc. Asked me about my research. What I do to relax. And after that asked me if I had any questions.

Always ask questions, even if you know the answer (3 or more). That is key I believe.

PCOM interviews are very laid back yet professional. I interviewed last year and got wait listed. This year I got accepted. Both times, I can honestly say that the stress level was incredibly low. Just be honest and sincere when you answer, that's all! Good luck!

PCOM interviews are very laid back yet professional. I interviewed last year and got wait listed. This year I got accepted. Both times, I can honestly say that the stress level was incredibly low. Just be honest and sincere when you answer, that's all! Good luck!

Thanks!!!

I am reading the financial aid packet. On page 4 of the FINANCIAL AID APPLICATION, it asks us to please specify the loan amount that you are applying for. Does this loan amount include both the tuition and the estimation of our annual living cost (i.e. food, transportation, housing, etc..)? And that amount should not exceed $40,500, correct?

I am reading the financial aid packet. On page 4 of the FINANCIAL AID APPLICATION, it asks us to please specify the loan amount that you are applying for. Does this loan amount include both the tuition and the estimation of our annual living cost (i.e. food, transportation, housing, etc..)? And that amount should not exceed $40,500, correct?

this is only how much of the fedral money you are applying for you apply for private loans later

Interview on March 11!!! As excited as I am, I'm still a bit concerned. March is really late... Does anyone know how filled up the class is already? Do you think I still have a chance of being accepted that late? Or would I basically be interviewing for the waitlist? Any feedback would be great. Thank you!!

When is everyone planning on moving there? I was going to give myself 2-3 weeks to get acclimated before the steamroller tears through.

I'll probably move in on the 1st. If you've got the money, then by all means get there really early and enjoy yourself. Philly is a cool place! As for me, after undergrad+grad+med school, I'll be near the upper limit for federal loans so I'm going to work as long as I can!!

Congrats MDhopeful! Unless you plan on going to med school a second time you might want to change you name ;) jk

Last edited:
Yikes, I would hope federal loans (statford, grad plus etc) would cover all costs. Private loans suck, I've talked to the financial aid office at PCOM and they said a combination of statford + grad plus should cover it. Hope they are right. Does anyone know if their financial aid office is reliable??

grad plus loans are considered private loans.

grad plus loans are considered private loans.

I am really confused on this point, I deleted my post just as second before you replied. I'm sure you are right because I never understood the distinction

I looked online and grad plus loans are run the the US Department of Education, and when you pay back your grad plus loan you pay a part of the percentage back to the US gov't according to FAQ number 16 on the Federal Student Aid website. The interest rate is way better than a normal private loan, and the rate is capped just like the statford loans, although statford is obviously better (6.8%). So I guess it's subsidized by the federal gov't, but less so than the other federal loans. Right now I am paying back statford and grad plus loans: every month my payments both go to the same place, Wachovia. So why is one considered a federal loan and the other one not? I'm sure there's a simple answer to this, I'm just being dumb. The only differences I've seen between the two programs is that the interest rate is better with statford/perkins, and there is no limit on the grad plus loans, unlike statford which is tops out at $138,500 per individual.

So anyway, I am sorry for creating the confusion, I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm very excited for PCOM!! Let me know if anyone needs a roommate :)

I am really confused on this point, I deleted my post just as second before you replied. I'm sure you are right because I never understood the distinction

I looked online and grad plus loans are run the the US Department of Education, and when you pay back your grad plus loan you pay a part of the percentage back to the US gov't according to FAQ number 16 on the Federal Student Aid website. The interest rate is way better than a normal private loan, and the rate is capped just like the statford loans, although statford is obviously better (6.8%). So I guess it's subsidized by the federal gov't, but less so than the other federal loans. Right now I am paying back statford and grad plus loans: every month my payments both go to the same place, Wachovia. So why is one considered a federal loan and the other one not? I'm sure there's a simple answer to this, I'm just being dumb. The only differences I've seen between the two programs is that the interest rate is better with statford/perkins, and there is no limit on the grad plus loans, unlike statford which is tops out at $138,500 per individual.

So anyway, I am sorry for creating the confusion, I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm very excited for PCOM!! Let me know if anyone needs a roommate :)

its stafford loans not statford

Finally got an interview for March 4th

thanks!!!!!

Interview on March 11!!! As excited as I am, I'm still a bit concerned. March is really late... Does anyone know how filled up the class is already? Do you think I still have a chance of being accepted that late? Or would I basically be interviewing for the waitlist? Any feedback would be great. Thank you!!

Just walked in the door from my PCOM interview... :xf::love::xf:

I asked specifically how full the class was and if I was interviewing for the waitlist. She said that the class was 70% full (maximum of 268-270 students?) and that the next deadline would be for April 15th. Being that there is a $250 (correct me if I'm wrong) initial deposit and $2000 (?) second deposit, there could be some movement in the # % full as April approaches. I'd hope that the non-serious ppl don't just blow a IRS return on it though...=(

That being said, she said that PCOM does not believe in interviewing for the waitlist and that they will be interviewing until the end of March. Interviews may extend into April if need be.

So you should be in the clear!! Head off to the PCOM post-interview feedback page! :thumbup:

Btw...for those who are using PCOM as an allopathic backup...don't bother. We can pick you out a mile away and hilarious for all of the serious applicants (donations!) :poke:

I asked specifically how full the class was and if I was interviewing for the waitlist. She said that the class was 70% full (maximum of 268-270 students?) and that the next deadline would be for April 15th. Being that there is a $250 (correct me if I'm wrong) initial deposit and $2000 (?) second deposit, there could be some movement in the # % full as April approaches. I'd hope that the non-serious ppl don't just blow a IRS return on it though...=(

That being said, she said that PCOM does not believe in interviewing for the waitlist and that they will be interviewing until the end of March. Interviews may extend into April if need be.

So you should be in the clear!! Head off to the PCOM post-interview feedback page! :thumbup:

Btw...for those who are using PCOM as an allopathic backup...don't bother. We can pick you out a mile away and hilarious for all of the serious applicants (donations!) :poke:

thanks for sharing!!

this is only how much of the fedral money you are applying for you apply for private loans later

Sorry this is my first time applying for financial aid...So please correct me if i am wrong. In this case, since PCOM tuition is rougly 37k. And the max for federal/stafford loan is 40.5k. I supposed everyone would choose to max this federal loan before considering the private loans, which will be used for covering other living costs.

Since people are talking about costs, here is what the binder has. This EXCLUDES living costs.

Tuition and Fees (will change) - $37,509
Books and Supplies (will vary) - $1,800
Instruments and Equipment (will vary) - $1,000
Class Dues - $225
Health Insurance - $2,600

Total - $43,134

Thanks, that's a relief.

Hey this might be a silly question but here goes. I am an undergrad and used to filing my FAFSA with my parents. It says on the FAFSA that most med schools want your parents info, is PCOM one of them?

Thanks

I'm interviewing March 11th too... anyone else??

hey guys that just got new of interviews.....what's ur stats like? I completed my application wayy back in October 2008, and haven't heard anything back yet. My MCAT score is a little below a 30, so I'm just wondering if that's the reason......maybe they aren't interviewing people in my range just yet?? Thanks for your help!

so this happened on Feb 10 and they are 70% full?? and I suppose "she" is Deb B? thanks

hey guys that just got new of interviews.....what's ur stats like? I completed my application wayy back in october 2008, and haven't heard anything back yet. My mcat score is a little below a 30, so i'm just wondering if that's the reason......maybe they aren't interviewing people in my range just yet?? Thanks for your help!
3.5/29Q - This was in September.

Hey PCOM Wanna-be Lovers, I just decided on another school. So one more seat open. Don't loose hope, just show admissions your interest in the school and get your name to catch their attention. Good luck.

hey guys that just got new of interviews.....what's ur stats like? I completed my application wayy back in October 2008, and haven't heard anything back yet. My MCAT score is a little below a 30, so I'm just wondering if that's the reason......maybe they aren't interviewing people in my range just yet?? Thanks for your help!

You can check out my MDapps, but I also had a DO from PCOM write me a LOR. That probably helped alot. Maybe you should call them and make sure that they got all your stuff, it might let them see that you still want it. Good Luck

My MCAT was lower than your's, above a 20 though (let's say between 20 and 25), GPA was 3.27, science GPA even lower than that. I had a LOR from a DO and submitted my app over winter break. They just emailed me on 2/10 about my interview on 3/11.

I would def advise you to call their admissions office and see what's going on. Did they even email you to say that they received your app?

MCAT 30S, GPA 3.07/3.28 science, LOR from PCOM grad
The GPA is a little misleading; graduated with a 2.6 many years ago and then recently did over 70 credits post-bac while teaching full-time with a 3.8 and also a master's with 4.0... i have in total about 220 credits. I don't think if I had the 3.07 as a recent college grad with no upward trend that I would be in nearly as strong a position.

so this happened on Feb 10 and they are 70% full?? and I suppose "she" is Deb B? thanks

I wasn't going to say her name specifically, but you're on target... =)

Last edited:
To the people who recentrly received interview emails, could you tell me when you guys were complete? I have been complete for some time now and I'm kind of nervous as the time is running out..should I still be hopeful? Someone mentioned that PCOM intereviews go till end of march, so now i'm kind of freaking out...thanks for your input in advance..

usps lost my secondary application that i had sent on 11/25/08. i just found out after calling pcom to see what my status was. hopefully, the school will understand.
i tried calling the school in early january but the lady who answered told me to wait for the 8 weeks to pass.

Dude, that sucks. Best of luck. I'm not too happy with USPS right now either... I had to refund a book for $80 on Amazon cuz the post office lost it. Should have bought tracking... blech.

Has anyone heard anything about PCOM's Pharm school? I heard that they were starting one, and a friend of mine was wondering which class will be their charter class?

Has anyone heard anything about PCOM's Pharm school? I heard that they were starting one, and a friend of mine was wondering which class will be their charter class?

the plan is for the georgia campus since they have a bit more room to grow too. I believe another 3 years or so is the timeline