pcom tuition?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paradigms

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really 42k? Is this an average with the inclusion of living expenses, or simply tuition alone? I fear that its the second :(.

I mean its something that I would be wiling to pay, but am a bit shocked that its so high..

Members don't see this ad.

Excuse me while I die laughing. Don't expect to graduate medical school without hefty loans.

Excuse me while I die laughing. Don't expect to graduate medical school without hefty loans.

Does it include living expenses or tuition alone? There's a particular school in Texas whose in-state tuition is 12,600 :p

Members don't see this ad :)
It only includes tuition. Yet this is average for most DO schools and anyone going to a private or out of state program. The only way youll be paying anything less is if you get into your public state school or manage to get into one of the state schools that its cheap for oos too... that will take some stellar numbers and experiences though

That isnt that high! Wtf? Its a private medical school. Look at the numbers to attend other PRIVATE med schools MD or DO.

I take out 42 and then another 38ish for living expenses. You do what you gotta do...although it sucks.

That isnt that high! Wtf? Its a private medical school. Look at the numbers to attend other PRIVATE med schools MD or DO.

I take out 42 and then another 38ish for living expenses. You do what you gotta do...although it sucks.

Gotcha; does 38 allow you to live "comfortably?" I guess it depends on where you live and such (you are at pcom correct?) I'm not being critical of how much money you use for living expenses by any means, I'm wondering how a medical student fares with the amount of money that they decide to take out for their living expenses. It would be great to get a place around Lancaster Ave, nice and close to pcom Lol :p :). But yeah, given that I know the prices of everything in the area (high), does 38 go the distance for you?

Edit: I didn't think it was out of the norm, I thought that pcom was only 20,000 Haha, hence I was dismayed that the nice small number that I had in my mind for a time was completely off.

Last edited:
Gotcha; does 38 allow you to live "comfortably?" I guess it depends on where you live and such (you are at pcom correct?) I'm not being critical of how much money you use for living expenses by any means, I'm wondering how a medical student fares with the amount of money that they decide to take out for their living expenses. It would be great to get a place around Lancaster Ave, nice and close to pcom Lol :p :). But yeah, given that I know the prices of everything in the area (high), does 38 go the distance for you?

Edit: I didn't think it was out of the norm, I thought that pcom was only 20,000 Haha, hence I was dismayed that the nice small number that I had in my mind for a time was completely off.

haha Its funny because I thought PCOM was a lot lower than it was when I was starting out there as well. You could actually get buy with significantly less than 38. I own a home and my mortgage is like 1400 a month and I have additional expenses as a result of home ownership that renters wouldnt have...so thats why I take out more than most. Most apartments around philly (not in center city) run around 700-1k a month. I usually make it fine on 38 and live a pretty good lifestyle...granted I am married so my wife pays 75% of our expenses. But I think youd be fine on even less than that.

Does it include living expenses or tuition alone? There's a particular school in Texas whose in-state tuition is 12,600 :p

That's a public medical school.

Edit: I'd expect to take out... 60k a year at PCOM tbh. 42-46 for tuition and 14-18 for living expenses.

Last edited:
University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine
Tuition - $45,498
Required Fees - $3402
Education Cost (books, health insurance) - $3750
Total cost of living - $71,446
http://www.med.upenn.edu/admiss/financial.html

Temple University School of Medicine
Tuition for PA students (including university service fees) - $44,244
Tuition for non-PA students (including university service fees) - $54,058
http://www.temple.edu/bursar/about/tuitionrates.htm

Drexel University College of Medicine
Tuition - $47,980
Fees - $1526
http://www.drexelmed.edu/Home/Admissions/MDProgram/TuitionandFinancialAid.aspx

Jefferson Medical College
Tuition - $48,073
http://www.jefferson.edu/registrar/tuition/

Penn State College of Medicine
Tuition for PA residents - $39,528
Tuition for non-PA residents - $49,984
http://tuition.psu.edu/

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Tuition for PA residents - $43,424
Tuition for non-PA residents - $44512

Commonwealth Medical College
1st year med student
tuition for PA residents - $46,668
tuition for non-PA residents - $51,920
http://www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/oth/Page.asp?PageID=OTH000756

LECOM
Tuition - $29,820
http://lecom.edu/financial-aid.php/College-of-Medicine-Tuition-Fees/49/2205/621/2464

PCOM
Tuition - $42,965
http://www.pcom.edu/administration/administrative_departments/Bursar_s_Office/do_tuition.html

Conclusion - PCOM and LECOM have some of the lowest tuitions in the state/commonwealth of Pennsylvania (only in-state Penn State College of Medicine is cheaper)

*still outrageous, but breaks the DO/MD stereotype that is perpetuated on SDN

University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine
Tuition - $45,498
Required Fees - $3402
Education Cost (books, health insurance) - $3750
Total cost of living - $71,446
http://www.med.upenn.edu/admiss/financial.html

Temple University School of Medicine
Tuition for PA students (including university service fees) - $44,244
Tuition for non-PA students (including university service fees) - $54,058
http://www.temple.edu/bursar/about/tuitionrates.htm

Drexel University College of Medicine
Tuition - $47,980
Fees - $1526
http://www.drexelmed.edu/Home/Admissions/MDProgram/TuitionandFinancialAid.aspx

Jefferson Medical College
Tuition - $48,073
http://www.jefferson.edu/registrar/tuition/

Penn State College of Medicine
Tuition for PA residents - $39,528
Tuition for non-PA residents - $49,984
http://tuition.psu.edu/

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Tuition for PA residents - $43,424
Tuition for non-PA residents - $44512

Commonwealth Medical College
1st year med student
tuition for PA residents - $46,668
tuition for non-PA residents - $51,920
http://www.thecommonwealthmedical.com/oth/Page.asp?PageID=OTH000756

LECOM
Tuition - $29,820
http://lecom.edu/financial-aid.php/College-of-Medicine-Tuition-Fees/49/2205/621/2464

PCOM
Tuition - $42,965
http://www.pcom.edu/administration/administrative_departments/Bursar_s_Office/do_tuition.html

Conclusion - PCOM and LECOM have some of the lowest tuitions in the state/commonwealth of Pennsylvania (only in-state Penn State College of Medicine is cheaper)

*still outrageous, but breaks the DO/MD stereotype that is perpetuated on SDN

:thumbup: Thanks for that!

thanks for the listing, I came across that today before I asked about pcom lol. Astounding prices. Willen, yeah I was thinking no more than 18; I swear I can get by on the bare minimum, its almost like a game for me now as a broke college student.. Its honestly really bad, I can't wait to start working on Friday Lol. Along with 3 summer classes and a little over 100 hours volunteer/clinical before September :). It feels like I try to see how much I can squeeze out of ten dollars a week, I swear, its pitiful, thank goodness its ending in a couple of days.

Last edited:

Don't remind me... I was so upset not to get an interview there. My entire application is well above their averages, and I'm confident my EC's/research would blow over half their matriculating class out of the water. Yes I'm being arrogant... I'm just extremely bitter. :mad:

angry-turtle1.jpg

Ok, I'm calm now.

Don't remind me... I was so upset not to get an interview there. My entire application is well above their averages, and I'm confident my EC's/research would blow over half their matriculating class out of the water. Yes I'm being arrogant... I'm just extremely bitter. :mad:

angry-turtle1.jpg

Ok, I'm calm now.

I'm glad you didn't get one here--you sound like a huge douche. Obviously your 'EC's/research' didn't do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the listing, I came across that today before I asked about pcom lol. Astounding prices. Willen, yeah I was thinking no more than 18; I swear I can get by on the bare minimum, its almost like a game for me now as a broke college student.. Its honestly really bad, I can't wait to start working on Friday Lol. Along with 3 summer classes and a little over 100 hours volunteer/clinical before September :). It feels like I try to see how much I can squeeze out of ten dollars a week, I swear, its pitiful, thank goodness its ending in a couple of days.

18??? Sheesh. I guess if you are coming right from a ramen eating undergrad lifestyle thats fine. I prob spend more than 18 on dogfood alone (I have 3 dogs....not rat dogs...actual dogs).

So figure someone is living alone and driving to class:

750/month for rent=9,000
Figure another 120 a month for utilities=1440
I spend about 50 a week in gas=2400
150ish a week in food=7200...and in reality thats pretty low my wife and I spend about 375/wk in food for the 2 of us.

There is 20k right there...without even factoring in going out/eating out/BEER/buying a new computer if you need one etc.

Just sayin...more power to ya if you could survive on 18 a year...I DEF never could come even close to that at all.

18??? Sheesh. I guess if you are coming right from a ramen eating undergrad lifestyle thats fine. I prob spend more than 18 on dogfood alone (I have 3 dogs....not rat dogs...actual dogs).

750/month for rent=9,000
150ish a week in food=7200...and in reality thats pretty low my wife and I spend about 375/wk in food for the 2 of us.

There is 20k right there...without even factoring in going out/eating out/BEER/buying a new computer if you need one etc.

Just sayin...more power to ya if you could survive on 18 a year...I DEF never could come even close to that at all.

I am most certainly coming from an undergrad lifestyle. I think that the biggest reason for my saying 18 is because I would most likely live with a roommate (just for clarification it has to be another medical student). I feel like everything else is spot on though. 18 is still kindof cutting it a bit but it is still doable, if rooming with someone else of course. I'm glad that you broke it down for me though, because I wasn't pulling 18 out arbitrarily, but 18 is still a number that "felt right." Somehow I knew that 18 would just cut it, and a bit extra over the course of the years for other uses. I added it up and I would be at 14,000 when splitting the rent up.

Now if I can actually get in within the next two years, that would be great..

The main reason that I brought this up is because I started reading scary articles about "student debt and ruined lives" lol. I don't feel this way, but it got me thinking about life and my drive to pursue clinical medicine a bit for sure. Not in a negative way necessarily though, js.

750/month for rent=9,000

375/week for food? Wtf are you eating? Imported caviar?

I am most certainly coming from an undergrad lifestyle. I think that the biggest reason for my saying 18 is because I would most likely live with a roommate (just for clarification it has to be another medical student). I feel like everything else is spot on though. 18 is still kindof cutting it a bit but it is still doable, if rooming with someone else of course. I'm glad that you broke it down for me though, because I wasn't pulling 18 out arbitrarily, but 18 is still a number that "felt right." Somehow I knew that 18 would just cut it, and a bit extra over the course of the years for other uses. I added it up and I would be at 14,000 when splitting the rent up.

Now if I can actually get in within the next two years, that would be great..

The main reason that I brought this up is because I started reading scary articles about "student debt and ruined lives" lol. I don't feel this way, but it got me thinking about life and my drive to pursue clinical medicine a bit for sure. Not in a negative way necessarily though, js.

ahh okay I thought you were an accepted student...not that that matters. By all means, take do whatever you can to reduce your debt. I dunno if I would live with another med student...but thats just me. Med students are neurotic as hell...and to save a few hundo a month to have to put up with washing someone elses dishes, dealing with them being up late etc....not worth it to me! Just make sure you dont have a car loan coming in. That is my biggest piece of advice to you. I had a 489.50 a month car loan that is just KILLING me. And the worst part about that is that you cant get a loan increase from stafford or grad plus to cover a car loan...so I basically have to take money from my other living expenses and it sucks.

375/week for food? Wtf are you eating? Imported caviar?

I think i spent like 100 in undergrad to eat as well...and nah we eat normal people stuff. Not crap like ramen/pasta/mac etc. Its not always 375 I just put that up there for worse case scenario. Food prices where we go (wegmans) are a bit obscene as well...but their selection is hard to beat.

I think i spent like 100 in undergrad to eat as well...and nah we eat normal people stuff. Not crap like ramen/pasta/mac etc. Its not always 375 I just put that up there for worse case scenario. Food prices where we go (wegmans) are a bit obscene as well...but their selection is hard to beat.

Yeah definitely, no not a student yet, =/

I definitely agree with the debt thing, but also one has to live comfortably in order to focus, at least I would think. Haha, I just wrote this whole thing and then decided not to post it, I'm just getting a kick out of talking to someone who's at pcom and about the area and all, its mad interesting lol. Like I was going to say that I could just stick to a cheap car, and living close to pcom would allow it to not get worn out too fast. I read about the living expenses not including cars (explicitly indicated in your estimated costs that you submit to the school I mean).. definitely stinky.

750/month for rent=9,000

For a family of three, it's about 25k-30k/year (calculated), which looks like a problem for me after seeing PCOM's $$ figures.
(Otherwise, I won't live, I don't have any savings, at all. Thank God, I don't have any credit card debt, mortgage payment, or car lease/loan to pay.)

I've just applied in this cycle; seems like I've a good chance, but only God knows.

How am I gonna be allowed to adjust my loans in order to take home at least that much during med school, considering I'll be living in PA/FL/NY depending on which school I'll land on at the end?

For a family of three, it's about 25k-30k/year (calculated), which looks like a problem for me after seeing PCOM's $$ figures.
(Otherwise, I won't live, I don't have any savings, at all. Thank God, I don't have any credit card debt, mortgage payment, or car lease/loan to pay.)

I've just applied in this cycle; seems like I've a good chance, but only God knows.

How am I gonna be allowed to adjust my loans in order to take home at least that much during med school, considering I'll be living in PA/FL/NY depending on which school I'll land on at the end?

I know that you can only borrow so much with the gradPlus loan. Everyone qualifies for like $40,500 in stafford loans and you can get the cost of attendance minus $40,500 or an other assistance and any other scholarships from grad plus. Example: pcom-ga cost of attendance is like $67,000 this year so you can borrow $40,500 in stafford loans and $26,500 from grad plus. That is all you can get that way. I would assume if you need more it would have to come from private loans.

here's what i calculated for OMS1:

rent=650/monthx12=7800/yr
utilities=100/monthx12=1200/yr
car insurance=1200/yr
food=400/monthx12=4800/yr
gas (walking to school)=100/monthx12=1200/yr
car maintenance=1000/yr
books+supplies=1000/yr
========================total=18,200

I know that you can only borrow so much with the gradPlus loan. Everyone qualifies for like $40,500 in stafford loans and you can get the cost of attendance minus $40,500 or an other assistance and any other scholarships from grad plus. Example: pcom-ga cost of attendance is like $67,000 this year so you can borrow $40,500 in stafford loans and $26,500 from grad plus. That is all you can get that way. I would assume if you need more it would have to come from private loans.
So, I wonder how willen101383 could borrow 38k to take home? It must include private loans, then. I'm not interested in private loans, at all.

$67k x 4 ~= 280k at the end of 4 years. Having a 50k/60k residency salary in NY, and then 150k/160k attending salary (assuming FM as specialty), don't you ever get scared of the debt on your shoulders?

I love medicine, but these numbers are too big. I've never made that much of a debt to anywhere. How to overcome this burden?

So, I wonder how willen101383 could borrow 38k to take home? It must include private loans, then. I'm not interested in private loans, at all.

$67k x 4 ~= 280k at the end of 4 years. Having a 50k/60k residency salary in NY, and then 150k/160k attending salary (assuming FM as specialty), don't you ever get scared of the debt on your shoulders?

I love medicine, but these numbers are too big. I've never made that much of a debt to anywhere. How to overcome this burden?

I don't know, ask your parents who likely have over 400k in house loans.

LOL 42k is expensive? Where you do live? 1970's?

I'm beyond the age to ask parents, I'm a parent. My parents didn't afford to buy a 400K house, they are from low-income group. Maybe it is what shocks me with the numbers.

I checked the loan repayment programs, and am not interested in military. Do I really exaggerate the medical school loan burden? Is it something easily shaken off after a while? This is what I'd like to learn.

it's the norm these days bud. if you're "assuming" FM, then after taxes, fresh out of a 3 yr residency you'll take home conservatively speaking something like 130k= about 11k/month. your monthly loan payment will be about 4k/month, your debts will be paid after 5-6 years (keep in mind your attending salary will nearly double by that time with partnership opportunities etc...)

if you decide to take up an attending job at NHSC loan repayment eligible site, then your debts will be paid off even sooner.

it's the norm these days bud. if you're "assuming" FM, then after taxes, fresh out of a 3 yr residency you'll take home conservatively speaking something like 130k= about 11k/month. your monthly loan payment will be about 4k/month, your debts will be paid after 5-6 years (keep in mind your attending salary will nearly double by that time with partnership opportunities etc...)

if you decide to take up an attending job at NHSC loan repayment eligible site, then your debts will be paid off even sooner.
Thanks for the explanation, kong :thumbup:. My medical school dream was about to get bitter. Only concern now is that if I'll be able to take home about 25k-30k/year as student loan (including grad-plus, excluding private loans) during medical school. I've excellent credit score but not much savings for a family of 3.

Is your spouse working? I think taking out the max COA possible (using stafford and grad plus) may allow you to slip by if you're extremely, extremely frugal.

Is your spouse working? I think taking out the max COA possible (using stafford and grad plus) may allow you to slip by if you're extremely, extremely frugal.
No she's not, but she's been attending to college so she receives some student loan, too.

Everyone must have wealthy parents...

Back in reality many families don't own or have something modest, not half million dollar places.

Everyone must have wealthy parents...

Back in reality many families don't own or have something modest, not half million dollar places.

Statistically the majority of premeds are from families that make over 150k and are upper middle class. The reason I said this as opposed to another example was because statistically it was likely to click in most cases.

Statistically the majority of premeds are from families that make over 150k and are upper middle class. The reason I said this as opposed to another example was because statistically it was likely to click in most cases.
Unfortunately, I'm not from one of those lucky majority pre-meds. I'm a non-trad myself, too. But, I've enough scores to push it along with my strong passion in medicine. These numbers will stay as high for me even after one day I'll become an attending physician. It's at least good to know that there's light at the other end of the tunnel to pay off that much student loan with its accrued interest over years.

Thanks for the explanation, kong :thumbup:. My medical school dream was about to get bitter. Only concern now is that if I'll be able to take home about 25k-30k/year as student loan (including grad-plus, excluding private loans) during medical school. I've excellent credit score but not much savings for a family of 3.

my school approves students for a max 30k grad plus loan. you shouldn't have any problems getting approved. my suggestion take out the max, you can always return any unnecessary funds. 42k in stafford is the standard.

Did a bit of looking... The upper middle class is from 100-250k family income and constitutes only ~15% of American households. With the average premed family income at 150k (as you cited) they are in families earning at the 93 percentile and above. :eek:

Looking at this really demonstrates the need for people in other socioeconomic groups to go into medicine.

Did a bit of looking... The upper middle class is from 100-250k family income and constitutes only ~15% of American households. With the average premed family income at 150k (as you cited) they are in families earning at the 93 percentile and above. :eek:

Looking at this really demonstrates the need for people in other socioeconomic groups to go into medicine.
Yes and no. It's nice to be able to understand where the indigent and lower middle class are coming from, but compassion can be learned. With that said, the majority of my classmates from wealthier families know how to not show off money and are rather laid back.

Yes and no. It's nice to be able to understand where the indigent and lower middle class are coming from, but compassion can be learned. With that said, the majority of my classmates from wealthier families know how to not show off money and are rather laid back.
Did you talk about like that during your interviews and personal statement, or did you keep trying to convince the adcoms about how compassionate you're?

Not to speak for another user, but no it doesn't require private loans.

It requires showing a justifiable need, and the school can adjust your COA, and thus your borrowing cap. There are certain things that count: housing, utilities, food, insurance that if higher than their 'estimates' you can document and have them adjust. However, as an example a car payment does NOT count so you can't buy a lexus and then just bump your student loans to pay for it.

As an example, my family grocery budget runs $1500/month, obviously WAY more than a normal medical student. Any school can adjust their COA to cover this difference if you ask and provide proof.

Doesn't make it less scary though.

Not to speak for another user, but no it doesn't require private loans.

It requires showing a justifiable need, and the school can adjust your COA, and thus your borrowing cap. There are certain things that count: housing, utilities, food, insurance that if higher than their 'estimates' you can document and have them adjust. However, as an example a car payment does NOT count so you can't buy a lexus and then just bump your student loans to pay for it.

As an example, my family grocery budget runs $1500/month, obviously WAY more than a normal medical student. Any school can adjust their COA to cover this difference if you ask and provide proof.

Doesn't make it less scary though.
Thank you. Appreciated the explanation.