People Who retook the Sample/Scored

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roayer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. For people who retook the sample and scored for a second time at least a month after they took it for the first time would you mind posting your retake scores and actual MCAT score. I'm trying to see how it correlated to your real score. A few people (myself including) are wondering, since we retook the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i took the aamc scored once on 5/17 and got a 501 (126/123/127/125) I ended up voiding my 5/20 exam because of it
i revamped my studying for the 7/8 exam and re-took the aamc scored 7 weeks after I originally took it and got a 509 (127/125/128/129)-haven't got my score yet but ill keep you updated!

i took the aamc scored once on 5/17 and got a 501 (126/123/127/125) I ended up voiding my 5/20 exam because of it
i revamped my studying for the 7/8 exam and re-took the aamc scored 7 weeks after I originally took it and got a 509 (127/125/128/129)-haven't got my score yet but ill keep you updated!
Thanks I appreciate it, I took the scored on 5/10 and got a 507/128/127/128/124 and took the 5/20 exam as well. That **** was hard af, got a 509. Retook the Scored July 4 and got a 523/132/131/131/129 and then took the July 9th test so hopefully there is some correlation for both our sakes.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks I appreciate it, I took the scored on 5/10 and got a 507/128/127/128/124 and took the 5/20 exam as well. That **** was hard af, got a 509. Retook the Scored July 4 and got a 523/132/131/131/129 and then took the July 9th test so hopefully there is some correlation for both our sakes.

i mean honestly retaking the exam was even more confusing because I couldn't remember which of my answers were correct or not-so I hope my retake is predictive of something

i mean honestly retaking the exam was even more confusing because I couldn't remember which of my answers were correct or not-so I hope my retake is predictive of something

Same, the stuff in Psych I missed were all things because of that for the most part, same with CARS.

I'm not sure how much validity you can hope for if you are taking any test for a second time...be cautious with this line of thinking. Any previous exposure to material confers an advantage and if you've taken the whole thing and checked your answers even a little bit I have no clue what you expect taking it again will indicate tbh

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not sure how much validity you can hope for if you are taking any test for a second time...be cautious with this line of thinking. Any previous exposure to material confers an advantage and if you've taken the whole thing and checked your answers even a little bit I have no clue what you expect taking it again will indicate tbh

I saw a few people who did it after a month or 2 and their actual MCAT was within +- 3. I totally agree, I'm not placing too much stock into it, I'm just curious since I'm waiting for my score and have nothing better to do to distract me =/.

Oh I get that feeling. But keep in mind a range of six covers a decent chunk of possible scores. Either way, good luck bud.

I saw a few people who did it after a month or 2 and their actual MCAT was within +- 3. I totally agree, I'm not placing too much stock into it, I'm just curious since I'm waiting for my score and have nothing better to do to distract me =/.

What do you attribute the drastic jump between the first time taking the exam and the second time? Obviously taking it the second time helped you jump, but in a 2 month gap I'm sure you forgot a good chunk. Did you use different materials, study different, etc?

Basically looking for ways on how to prep for my Jan exam.

What do you attribute the drastic jump between the first time taking the exam and the second time? Obviously taking it the second time helped you jump, but in a 2 month gap I'm sure you forgot a good chunk. Did you use different materials, study different, etc?

Basically looking for ways on how to prep for my Jan exam.

I did content review in General Chemistry. Never did that before and did a ton of practice passages. For that first MCAT I only did practice material (AAMC) from the beginning of may to my exam (so like 3 weeks) but for the July 9th one I did practice material for the whole month and a half in addition to those 3-4 weeks I already spent studying. Also having taken the MCAT once already helped with stress and getting a difficult test the first time made me aware of what I was up against. I had only taken 4 practice exams for the first test but took like 12 in addition to the previous 4 and the 5/20 MCAT for the retake. It was mainly honing reasoning skills and critically evaluating my weak areas by doing lots of FLs and practice passages in my weak area. I also read a few Cell signaling biochemistry research papers to be better able to deal with a thousand acronyms. I also studied a lot for CARS for this test since I neglected it last time.

After you do enough practice material you start to get a zen for what the right answer will be. I never believed it but its a thing, especially for CARS.

I scored low on my first MCAT 501, but revamped the amount of practice I have been doing. Before my first MCAT my AAMC percentages were ~60% avg. I just retook the unscored test last weekend, ~6 months later, and scored 78%/87%/81%/86%. Totally hoping that this will be relative to my September exam.

Although I did remember passages throughout the whole exam, I definitely did not remember specific questions. Hopefully that helps, but the fact that it wasn't totally new material, I think, helped with my score.

I scored low on my first MCAT 501, but revamped the amount of practice I have been doing. Before my first MCAT my AAMC percentages were ~60% avg. I just retook the unscored test last weekend, ~6 months later, and scored 78%/87%/81%/86%. Totally hoping that this will be relative to my September exam.

Although I did remember passages throughout the whole exam, I definitely did not remember specific questions. Hopefully that helps, but the fact that it wasn't totally new material, I think, helped with my score.
Appreciate it, I'll let you know what I figure out in case you are wondering when I get some more data.

I did content review in General Chemistry. Never did that before and did a ton of practice passages. For that first MCAT I only did practice material (AAMC) from the beginning of may to my exam (so like 3 weeks) but for the July 9th one I did practice material for the whole month and a half in addition to those 3-4 weeks I already spent studying. Also having taken the MCAT once already helped with stress and getting a difficult test the first time made me aware of what I was up against. I had only taken 4 practice exams for the first test but took like 12 in addition to the previous 4 and the 5/20 MCAT for the retake. It was mainly honing reasoning skills and critically evaluating my weak areas by doing lots of FLs and practice passages in my weak area. I also read a few Cell signaling biochemistry research papers to be better able to deal with a thousand acronyms. I also studied a lot for CARS for this test since I neglected it last time.

After you do enough practice material you start to get a zen for what the right answer will be. I never believed it but its a thing, especially for CARS.

How did you study harder for your CARS the second time around? I want to improve my CARS score so any advice would be great!! :>

How did you study harder for your CARS the second time around? I want to improve my CARS score so any advice would be great!! :>

I did a fair amount of TPR passages. Then I started doing the old AAMC FL VR sections. And once I realized my CARS score was a fluke due to panic, I focused on other areas like doing FL exams (did EK 1-4, NS1, TPR C1, Kaplan 1, and AAMC 10 - in addition to redoing the OG, Sample, and Scored). I also tried a new method for CARS: I would pause at the end of each paragraph and tie in that paragraph to the main idea/author tone and I would have a conversation in my head about the author/author's argument: example: this author makes an excellent point about how this type of government promotes freedom, I remember reading how Ancient Greece used this exact form or This author is a bias dingus since when he talks about government he fails to account for X Y and Z. Basically read proactively and do whatever you can to make it interesting. Hell I cursed alot in my head about the author and insulted him and picked his arguments apart and I got better at CARS toward the end (my retake of the Sample and Scored after 2 months were over 94% and CARS 2 - first time- was 88% , CARS 1 2 months ago was 73%) which I attribute to improving my ability to answer "Reasoning Beyond the Text" questions.

Last edited: