Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got my answer. everything is good

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PCOM may only give out a certain number of fee waivers so not all applicants who got them from AACOMAS may be given them by PCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we have to apply separately for a fee waiver? Or can they see if AACOMAS granted us one?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
In the past we had to tell them we qualified and then they checked the list and if they were not out of waivers and your name was on the list you got it. If it does not update for you to see online then they ran out

Secondary Received: 7/25.
Fee waiver received: 7/27
Secondary submitted: 8/3
Everything in the portal (minus secondary) currently shows complete.

!

Secondary Received: 7/25.
Fee waiver received: 7/27
Secondary submitted: 8/3
Complete (in portal): 8/4

!!
Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody applying here from the West Coast...?

Pacific Northwest!

Question for anyone.. I completed my secondary application and submitted it before I realized that theres this application summary page :laugh:. I completed the application then paid the fee. This is fine, right? Im not sure if I had to activate/sign into that banner web services or whatever first. Also.. it says they havent received my Committee Letter yet even though its been uploaded to AACOMAS.. is this what they mean by waiting 15 days for everything to process?

Thanks and sorry if this has been answered before.. I realize Im probably beating a dead horse

Reactions: 1 user
Pacific Northwest!

Question for anyone.. I completed my secondary application and submitted it before I realized that theres this application summary page :laugh:. I completed the application then paid the fee. This is fine, right? Im not sure if I had to activate/sign into that banner web services or whatever first. Also.. it says they havent received my Committee Letter yet even though its been uploaded to AACOMAS.. is this what they mean by waiting 15 days for everything to process?

Thanks and sorry if this has been answered before.. I realize Im probably beating a dead horse

Pretty sure you're fine! My letter was in AACOMAS and it took a few days after submission / payment for everything to be complete. I submitted this past Saturday and got the complete e-mail today.

Only 1 of my 3 required letters I sent through interfolio are showing up on my summary page. Does that mean the other 2 don't meet requirements?

Only 1 of my 3 required letters I sent through interfolio are showing up on my summary page. Does that mean the other 2 don't meet requirements?
call em'

they're major sticklers about their letters

Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted the secondary! I sent my letters through AACOMAS but I also sent them through Interfolio because I knew a couple didn't have signatures.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if PCOM gives preference to instate applicants or is it fairly equal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! First year just starting out checking in. Wishing you all best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
So on my portal they have checked off my 2 science letters, non science letter, and my DO letter. I sent two others in as well from my supervisors. Just to confirm they don't mark off additional letters even though they have them right?

So on my portal they have checked off my 2 science letters, non science letter, and my DO letter. I sent two others in as well from my supervisors. Just to confirm they don't mark off additional letters even though they have them right?
They should show up as received. I sent in all my letters through AACOMAS and later sent in another letter and it's under additional documents.

They should show up as received. I sent in all my letters through AACOMAS and later sent in another letter and it's under additional documents.

Is the letter under additional documents from someone other than a professor or DO?

The only one showing up under additional documents is my DO letter, but I sent in my DO letter along with my two other letters both of whom were supervisors in my volunteer/research positions.

Is the letter under additional documents from someone other than a professor or DO?

The only one showing up under additional documents is my DO letter, but I sent in my DO letter along with my two other letters both of whom were supervisors in my volunteer/research positions.
When I was applying they told us they only would put the letters on the portal that we needed to complete our application. Other letters are a bonus

When I was applying they told us they only would put the letters on the portal that we needed to complete our application. Other letters are a bonus
This is what I thought I read but wasn't sure. Thanks.

My additional letter was from a DO.

where do you see "additional documents" on the portal? I went on the application summary page, but I don't see that

where do you see "additional documents" on the portal? I went on the application summary page, but I don't see that

If you don't have additional letters then you won't see the column I presume. This is what my portal looks like

VbaTk4u.png

Ahh i see. Thank you. I have a letter from an MD but it's not there :/

Try sending them an email to see if they received it. I had to get interfolio to re-send all my letters because only 1 out of 6 made it to PCOM somehow.

My portal says that they received a committee letter packet from me, but I sent in individual letters. Is that unusual?

Straight from the e-mail. "Thank you for your email. We note in our email that we will only list those letter needed to complete your application." Hence they only list either the committee letter or your professor letters if you don't send through a committee.

Just some information for you guys applying this cycle.

PCOM gets well over 10,000 applications a cycle, so their application systems are a bit sluggish.

On top of that they interviewed about 700 students, handed out 370ish acceptances with 280 enrolling for the 15-16 cycle.

On the bright side, PCOM has a very broad spectrum of people they interview. They are not strictly numbers based and rather look for individuals who fit the culture of the school. If you can emphasize learning from your mistakes or personal growth in your essays, they will look upon you favorably especially in the interviews when they have the "any additional info" part.

Oh and don't forget to send a LOI via email if you end up being waitlisted.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
The process for DO schools is so unorganized man. Process is already difficult already, now I got to worry about little stuff like this? I'm not having the same problem with MDs

I emailed them about this. They said if all three letters from one school meets the requirement then they will list as a packet for ease.

I also have a problem with my MD letter not showing anywhere. They said a physician letter is not required but didn't answer if they received it or not... I'm not sure if it was because they only pulled the required letters from AACOMAS. I might resend the letter through interfolio just to make sure they have it on file, even if it's not listed.

I have 2 MD letters that don't show on my portal. It only says they received a committee packet. I assumed that they didn't include the MD letters because they're not required.

I have 2 MD letters that don't show on my portal. It only says they received a committee packet. I assumed that they didn't include the MD letters because they're not required.

Also have 2 MD letters which are not displaying.

Nope, only the letters you need to complete nothing else

And now I am having letter issues. Apparently one of my writers didn't out it on a letterhead... Now I have to track him down and get him to change it and send it directly to PCOM. I know I told all my writers to put it on a letterhead...:slap:

I never understood why letter writers never put it on a letterhead. I mean isnt it common practice for a professor to use a letterhead? Just my experience with all the letters i received in undergrad from my prof... I know everyone is different but generally that has been my experience. *sigh*

I never understood why letter writers never put it on a letterhead. I mean isnt it common practice for a professor to use a letterhead? Just my experience with all the letters i received in undergrad from my prof... I know everyone is different but generally that has been my experience. *sigh*
One of the most important letters they will write and they can't use letterhead, crazy

I have been complete since 7/12 and still no secondary. Anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

I have been complete since 7/12 and still no secondary. Anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

What do you mean complete and no secondary? You mean verified by AACOMAS?

Got the secondary last night at 11:00 PM. What are you doing PCOM admission comittee? Haha

hey did anyone with an MCAT subsection less than 125 get a secondary? i read somewhere that they want every section to be 125 at the least and i have a 505 with a 123 bio section.

was wondering if i should just submit as is or wait till next week when i get my retake results back?

hey did anyone with an MCAT subsection less than 125 get a secondary? i read somewhere that they want every section to be 125 at the least and i have a 505 with a 123 bio section.

was wondering if i should just submit as is or wait till next week when i get my retake results back?

I have a 124 and got one, but i could have just been naively taxed. If that's true it could be bad for me since PCOM is strict on rules and cutoffs, so I have no idea if it's possible to get past the secondary stage. But you should get a secondary

I have a 124 and got one, but i could have just been naively taxed. If that's true it could be bad for me since PCOM is strict on rules and cutoffs, so I have no idea if it's possible to get past the secondary stage. But you should get a secondary

hmm maybe ill just wait till the score comes back since its a week

I have all of my requirements in and I'm not missing any letters but I never got a complete email. Anyone else get one?

Reactions: 2 users