Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question

re-applicant here. applied really late last cycle (secondary submitted in early Nov.) and since then have retaken two undergrad courses (Cs -> As), taken most of the remaining grad courses for my masters program (1 course remaining, will be finished in December), and added a volunteer experience this summer.

The secondary this year has the same essay question as last year except this year I had to write about how my application has improved since last cycle in a separate short essay. For the main essay though (*noting the missions and objectives.....), is it a bad idea to reuse my essay from last cycle? Reading it over, I like what I wrote and the story I used fits the prompt nicely. I'm sure if I sit with the question for a little I can come up with another story to tie into that theme but if I can reuse my original one I would like to.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question

re-applicant here. applied really late last cycle (secondary submitted in early Nov.) and since then have retaken two undergrad courses (Cs -> As), taken most of the remaining grad courses for my masters program (1 course remaining, will be finished in December), and added a volunteer experience this summer.

The secondary this year has the same essay question as last year except this year I had to write about how my application has improved since last cycle in a separate short essay. For the main essay though (*noting the missions and objectives.....), is it a bad idea to reuse my essay from last cycle? Reading it over, I like what I wrote and the story I used fits the prompt nicely. I'm sure if I sit with the question for a little I can come up with another story to tie into that theme but if I can reuse my original one I would like to.

Thoughts?
From what I've read on re-applicant threads, schools do not appreciate when students reuse secondary essays or personal statements. I would do everything you can to write a strong, new, essay. They may not care but I've heard of many schools caring a lot about this and I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

Reactions: 1 users
Quick question

Thoughts?

You don't want to make it seem like you didn't put in the effort to do their secondary. But you also shouldn't change your reasons for becoming an osteopathic physician much, unless you have had a life-changing experience since your last application. I'd say keep certain compelling points from your old essay and add some new points based on your current perspective of medicine. This would show that you're firm in your beliefs and not just lazy about rewriting. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question

Thoughts?

We get this question quite a bit and honestly, there is not an answer for it. You should present what is relevant and true for you that answers the question posed. If a former essay covers that, great. If not, that's ok too. What is an issue is posting the same essay without reconsidering the question and reevaluating what you have written. Submitting type-os two years in a row, for example, would be a misstep. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
@PCOM Admissions
Should an applicant expect to receive a receipt from PCOM after submitting secondary application? Thanks!

@PCOM Admissions
Should an applicant expect to receive a receipt from PCOM after submitting secondary application? Thanks!

Hi. Immediately after submitting a supplemental application, a box appears letting you know that the application went through without any errors. Within 15 business days, the document will be processed to your applicant record and an email receipt is forwarded to you with further instruction. Note that our processing time currently is well under 15 business days.

I hope that you are finding these posts helpful. We won't be logged in every day but will do our best to help ease the concerns and anxieties of the application process to medical school. We understand how difficult it can be to go through all of these steps and then have to wait... but we encourage you to breathe, follow the instructions, try not to ruminate over the commentary/rumors/conjecturing of others, and to trust that there is an entire team of committed individuals who take this process and your futures very seriously. Warmest wishes to all of you! Chins up.

I'm so glad that this post is resonating with you! <3

~ A Happy-Hearted Admissions Rep

Reactions: 7 users
I have all three faculty letters posted as received but committee letter is still showing as blank online.

I'm so glad that this post is resonating with you! <3

~ A Happy-Hearted Admissions Rep

And PCOM rocks in general!! Such a wonderful community! You will not regret applying/matriculating here.

Reactions: 5 users
I received a note on my Application Summary that "Pre Soma" was received. I was a member of Pre-SOMA in undergrad, but I never submitted any documentation about this. Can someone explain what this means? Should I submit some kind of evidence that I was in Pre-SOMA?

Hi all,
I applied a little late into the cycle, and all of my materials just got verified today.
I had a few questions:
1. how long did it take you guys after submitting your primaries until you got the supplemental application?
2. what are my chances of getting in according to my stats and the timing of my application (I am hoping for PA campus)
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.44
MCAT: 504

Hi all,
I applied a little late into the cycle, and all of my materials just got verified today.
I had a few questions:
1. how long did it take you guys after submitting your primaries until you got the supplemental application?
2. what are my chances of getting in according to my stats and the timing of my application (I am hoping for PA campus)

I dont know what your chances of getting in are, but it is still early in the cycle. You have decent stats just be sure to write a good essay now so you can send the secondary in as soon as you get it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
I had a few questions:

1. I don't remember!

2. I think you are competitive. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I had a few questions:
There's really no way of knowing. You are probably a competitive applicant but PCOM seems to be one of those schools that really value fit and look for something special in their applicants. If you don't have the something they are looking for/not a good fit you may not get any love from them. But no one really knows what it is they look for. You can't get in if you don't apply though :) PCOM seems like a really great school so all any of us can hope for is that we have the 'special something' they are looking for!

I received a note on my Application Summary that "Pre Soma" was received. I was a member of Pre-SOMA in undergrad, but I never submitted any documentation about this. Can someone explain what this means? Should I submit some kind of evidence that I was in Pre-SOMA?

Please email this to [email protected] with your name and Banner ID # so that your record can be investigated.

There's really no way of knowing. You are probably a competitive applicant but PCOM seems to be one of those schools that really value fit and look for something special in their applicants. If you don't have the something they are looking for/not a good fit you may not get any love from them. But no one really knows what it is they look for. You can't get in if you don't apply though :) PCOM seems like a really great school so all any of us can hope for is that we have the 'special something' they are looking for!

You may be under the false assumption that there is a formula and that the 'something special' is prescriptive. Everybody's 'something special' is different and the art of forming a class includes a beautiful MIX of many 'something specials'. ;)

Reactions: 8 users
I have all three faculty letters posted as received but committee letter is still showing as blank online.

That clearing of the pre-health letter can take a few days on the portal. If it's been more than a week, check in with us. Your application will still be complete but it makes us feel better too knowing that no lingering requirements are appearing on your end.

For the secondary essay, I just wanted to ask if it's cool that I only discuss a single personal characteristic, rather than multiple characteristics. I typically like to give more than one characteristic, but I don't think I could talk about two or more whatsoever

Last edited by a moderator:
From the desk of a decidedly "seasoned" professional, I am assuming "II" means interviews or interview invites? Interviews begin later in September and invitations will begin to be sent out in the near future.

Reactions: 3 users
From the desk of a decidedly "seasoned" professional, I am assuming "II" means interviews or interview invites? Interviews begin later in September and invitations will begin to be sent out in the near future.
Your assumption is correct! Quick question though: does PCOM give favor to those in state/spent the majority of life in Pennsylvania or is consideration for interviews relatively equal?

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

@PCOM Admissions Dear sir or madam, I just happened to obtain my third letter of REC from math faculty. Would this satisfy the LOR requirement? Would this still be early to submit primary application at this time? And can I send the 3rd letter through Interfolio?

Thank you

Just curious as to if anyone else has run into this problem...

I needed to resubmit two of my letters on proper letterhead after checking my portal. I was unaware that they don't email you updates about your status (like most other DO schools). Anyways, I sent it through interfolio and then sent them a personal follow-up email to make sure they got it.

However, they always send an auto-response saying "We aren't going to respond to this if it isn't necessary." So I sent the letter and it says it's been delivered (on interfolio), but my portal isn't updated. If anyone else has had this problem, are they pretty good about updating it when they get the chance? I just want to make sure my app doesn't get swept under the rug because of this.

I needed to manually enter the PCOM email address (for recommendations). The automatic entry for "PCOM letters 2016-17" never seemed to arrive.

Just curious as to if anyone else has run into this problem...

I needed to resubmit two of my letters on proper letterhead after checking my portal. I was unaware that they don't email you updates about your status (like most other DO schools). Anyways, I sent it through interfolio and then sent them a personal follow-up email to make sure they got it.

However, they always send an auto-response saying "We aren't going to respond to this if it isn't necessary." So I sent the letter and it says it's been delivered (on interfolio), but my portal isn't updated. If anyone else has had this problem, are they pretty good about updating it when they get the chance? I just want to make sure my app doesn't get swept under the rug because of this.

i had the same exact problem with the letter head!!! just have your professor resend it to [email protected]
they took care of it very quickly, and my status was updated immediately.

I went ahead and used interfolio because the problem kept popping up at more and more schools. I didn't want to have to burden my teachers with new emails every week, haha. So now I just have the correct letter on interfolio and I can send them myself!

The nice thing too about utilizing inter-folio is you can call their office and ask if the letter fills the requirements (letter head, class taken, etc).

That's how I saved myself the headache when submitting my supplemental to this school in July

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The nice thing too about utilizing inter-folio is you can call their office and ask if the letter fills the requirements (letter head, class taken, etc).

That's how I saved myself the headache when submitting my supplemental to this school in July

You mean I can call interfolio and ask them if my confidential letters have a letter head on them? I did not know that. How do I contact interfolio?

Yep, I did this too. A PP posted the phone number. This saved me, as one of my letter writers didn't sign/put it in letterhead. I called again after all of my letters were in to confirm that they were all signed and on letterhead and they checked for me! Super easy.
Just to add, you can make sure that the letters fill all the requirements. Signature, class you took, letter head.

So you don't have to find out the letter is lacking something 3 weeks after PCOM reviews the document.

Last cycle the first II posted on the thread was 09/10, the second week of September. If PCOM does this again, we could potentially see our first batch of II's come out this Thursday.

Reactions: 6 users
Last cycle the first II posted on the thread was 09/10, the second week of September. If PCOM does this again, we could potentially see our first batch of II's come out this Thursday.
Can't wait. Had some spare time this week (thanks to no upcoming interviews). Loved a lot of things about this school.

LOVE nuggets like this. Really fuels my neuroticism

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Just a quick note about using Interfolio. PCOM Admissions cannot download letters from Interfolio directly. We can only accept Interfolio letters via email to [email protected]. The applicant must ask Interfolio to take this action. Thanks for understanding!

It's so nice that they have an adcom person to answer questions in this forum.
I cannot wait for my II, this is my top choice school. Is is the tenth yet?????

It's so nice that they have an adcom person to answer questions in this forum.
I cannot wait for my II, this is my top choice school. Is is the tenth yet?????

Unless I missed something, is the 10th of some significance for IIs?

Ah okay. I was thinking maybe admissions had said something about them being released at that time for this cycle.

Nahhh I am going by the rumor because I have nothing else to go by. SO basically I am her doing wishful hopeful thinking

Just a quick note about using Interfolio. PCOM Admissions cannot download letters from Interfolio directly. We can only accept Interfolio letters via email to [email protected]. The applicant must ask Interfolio to take this action. Thanks for understanding!

If a non required letter is not on letterhead will it be accepted? Or do all letters have to be on official letterhead?

If a non required letter is not on letterhead will it be accepted? Or do all letters have to be on official letterhead?

I can answer that one, it absolutely has to be on a letterhead. I had to resubmit one of my letters. The writer just sent it directly to [email protected] and it was uploaded to my app the next day.

Edit: a non-required letter? Like just an additional one that isn't being used to meet requirements? Then it probably won't matter, they probably just won't consider it

I can answer that one, it absolutely has to be on a letterhead. I had to resubmit one of my letters. The writer just sent it directly to [email protected] and it was uploaded to my app the next day.

Edit: a non-required letter? Like just an additional one that isn't being used to meet requirements? Then it probably won't matter, they probably just won't consider it

Only non required letter that will show up is the do/md letter

Got it. Thank you.

Only non required letter that will show up is the do/md letter

Are you sure about the MD letter? I've heard only the DO one will show up-- my physician letters are both MDs on official letterhead-- one was my supervisor for research and I did not see that in the portal

Are you sure about the MD letter? I've heard only the DO one will show up-- my physician letters are both MDs on official letterhead-- one was my supervisor for research and I did not see that in the portal

You probably right I think my md didn't show up either

PCOM will not use MD letters. Apparently if letters are not needed to fill your requirement then they do not have to be on letterhead. Only the required ones. And II have already gone out. A friend is going to be helping to interview soon and said they are sending them out now.

Reactions: 2 users
PCOM will not use MD letters. Apparently if letters are not needed to fill your requirement then they do not have to be on letterhead. Only the required ones. And II have already gone out. A friend is going to be helping to interview soon and said they are sending them out now.

Uh oh the pre med neuroticism begins

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for letting us know!

Last edited:
If anyone can answer my question..I would appreciate it!

Is the GPA that schools looks at the one that AACOMAS calculates?

For examples, in AACOMAS they only count the most recent attempt at repeated courses in their GPA. Will Osteopathic schools use this GPA as well, or will they calculate their own based on all attempts?