This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bidew97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I literally have all ur ECs and the same gap and mcat. I got in this cycle. PLz message me

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t waste time with applying to more than a couple of OOS publics. Maybe include UVM since it accepts a good number of OOS and its OOS app ratio isn’t daunting like many others.

Look at the instate/OOS application ratios. If you’re seeing a public SOM where 75%+ of the apps are from OOS, but the school is only seating about 25% or less OOS, then chances for acceptance are awful. And realize that publics often accept OOS students that help their numbers/needs in some way (more UIMs, geographical diversity, high MCAT score, etc.)

Does Loma Linda have a strong bias for students who are SDA? If so, and you’re not SDA, then maybe remove that one.

Georgetown seems like a wasted app for a 511 ORM from California.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t waste time with applying to more than a couple of OOS publics. Maybe include UVM since it accepts a good number of OOS and its OOS app ratio isn’t daunting like many others.

Look at the instate/OOS application ratios. If you’re seeing a public SOM where 75%+ of the apps are from OOS, but the school is only seating about 25% or less OOS, then chances for acceptance are awful. And realize that publics often accept OOS students that help their numbers/needs in some way (more UIMs, geographical diversity, high MCAT score, etc.)

Does Loma Linda have a strong bias for students who are SDA? If so, and you’re not SDA, then maybe remove that one.

Georgetown seems like a wasted app for a 511 ORM from California.

Thanks for the input! I think the OOS public schools I have are somewhat OOS friendly, but I'm not sure which ones favor applicants with ties to the state. Which schools do you recommend me removing?

You should remove: University of Maryland, Arizona, Cooper, and SUNY - those are OOS public schools that are not friendly to OOS applicants with no ties to the state.

You arn't far from the recommended number of shadowing hours which is around 50hrs - but it shouldn't really hold your app back since you've also done a fair amount of clinical volunteering.

The rest of your list seems good to me.

@Goro and @Faha could provide additional advice.

Hi, looking for some help finishing up my school list for this upcoming cycle. I have posted here before but would like more input to maximize my chances of getting in this cycle. I am currently a junior at a top public university in CA. Not URM 3.92 gpa, science gpa 3.92

511 MCAT (127/126/129/129)

I will have 250+ hours of clinical volunteering, 300+ of research (no publications), 150+ hours of community volunteering, 90 hours as a TAs assistant, with some clubs and a few leadership positions that take up 5-6 hours a week. My non academics include IM and club sports. I also have 30 hours of shadowing (internal, peds, cardiology). Will my lack of shadowing hold me back?

School list:

UC Davis

UC Irvine

UCLA

Loma Linda

University of Maryland

Wake Forest

University of Toledo

University of Arizona-Tuscon

West Virginia University

University of Central Florida

Eastern Virginia

Saint Louis University

Creighton

Drexel

Wayne State

Wright State

Rosalind Franklin University

University of Miami

University of Vermont

Hofstra

Temple

Geisinger Commonwealth

SUNY Downstate

Virginia Commonwealth University

Cooper medical school

Albany

Oakland University William Beaumont

Medical College of Wisconsin

Penn State

Quinnipiac University

New York Medical College

Western Michigan University

George Washington

Tulane

Georgetown

Tufts

Jefferson-Kimmel

California University

Seton Hall

Too many low yields? Any input is appreciated!
I suggest:
Rochester (maybe)
Hofstra (maybe)
Albert Einstein (maybe)
UCF (maybe)
Pitt (maybe)
U Toledo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
CUSM
UCD
UCI
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.