Podiatry Job Market Satisfaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How satisfied are you with podiatry’s current job market?

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Neutral

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Dissatisfied

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Very Dissatisfied

Votes: 34 59.6%

• Total voters

Shiyuan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guess I would try this poll out to mirror the other.

“Job Market” - Please take into account: available DPM opportunities on job search sites (indeed, practicematch, USAJOBS, LinkedIn, etc.), salary, geographic availability, ease of finding a job, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the fact 95% of job offers don’t list a salary and require a bait and switch just to tell you they pay a 100k “competitive” base is a massive red flag. Quite honestly the FACT that almost all offers on PM News call 90-120k “competitive” answers the question on its own.

That being said - I took a big risk on a straight % associate job right out of residency with no base and ended up doing better than most associates for first year out. So your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not like the current poll results, but perhaps it will change as more people vote.

We need better job opportunities and salary.

I do not like the current poll results, but perhaps it will change as more people vote.

You’ll like it more when the APMA troops rally and vote. They don’t show up until 3am though

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I think the fact 95% of job offers don’t list a salary and require a bait and switch just to tell you they pay a 100k “competitive” base is a massive red flag. Quite honestly the FACT that almost all offers on PM News call 90-120k “competitive” answers the question on its own.

That being said - I took a big risk on a straight % associate job right out of residency with no base and ended up doing better than most associates for first year out. So your mileage may vary.
That would be fine except a lot of pp places offer 30% or less

Reactions: 1 users

I’m straight 40% which has turned out better than the next highest option I had which was $120k with 30% over 3x. Still not really where I want to be considering the time and investment it took me to get here though.

Reactions: 1 user
Part of my dissatisfaction is that there are so few good-paying jobs out there is that many of us settle for less than ideal because there are no other realistic alternatives. Much of my career decision making up to this point was just me settling for what I could get. I went to a good-not-great residency, got a PP job. Thankfully, they offered me partnership. Unthankfully, my partners extracted a lot of income from me both through the buyin and an unfair distribution of practice income (until I brought it to their attention). Yes I'm earning better than most but so much of that income goes to debt service. I feel like it's a pay to play scam.

So I think a lot of us get stuck like this. I'm wealthy but I can't experience wealth because so much of it is locked up in my business. I've thought about just walking away from it all but there are too few good alternatives to make it a smart choice.

What on earth are you talking about? This is reality. Yea, perhaps it will change when all these new shill accounts cast votes that are the complete opposite of the truth.

New accounts shouldn’t be able to vote for 30 days, just saying…this forum is obviously being flooded by shill accounts with an agenda. The mods should do something about it.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm wealthy but I can't experience wealth because so much of it is locked up
Scrooge Mcduck Money GIF by University of Alaska Fairbanks

Mountains of dollars and toenail clippings

What on earth are you talking about? This is reality. Yea, perhaps it will change when all these new shill accounts cast votes that are the complete opposite of the truth.

New accounts shouldn’t be able to vote for 30 days, just saying…this forum is obviously being flooded by shill accounts with an agenda. The mods should do something about it.
There are hundreds of requests per day across the entire website that are being filtered by volunteer mods. Dexter and I are not on here 24/7 to approve each and every account - podiatry specific or not.

If they were spam, bots, or an existing user making multiple accounts, they would have been flagged and unlikely to be approved.

I give all new accounts that are not obvious spam the benefit of the doubt.
We are not allowed to take sides or comment on possible motives.

It is up to you guys to debate each other.

Reactions: 5 users
There are hundreds of requests per day across the entire website that are being filtered by volunteer mods. Dexter and I are not on here 24/7 to approve each and every account - podiatry specific or not.

If they were spam, bots, or an existing user making multiple accounts, they would have been flagged and unlikely to be approved.

I mean having all of these new accounts infiltrate the forum overnight must raise some suspicion right? They completely (or a single person) are responsible for ruining the validity of the other poll. Let’s see what they end up doing to this poll that’s currently sitting at 25 negative votes and a big fat zero positive votes.

Members don't see this ad :)

People just need to stop making polls. The geriatric dinosaurs can write whatever they want. They'll be gone in a week and it'll be back to business as usual.

They should all be allowed. They don’t last long any ways. And every time one of them opens their mouths (or fails to answer legitimate questions directed right at them), they seem to reinforce much of what is said on these forums.

Good ideas will always win out. Regardless of how many APMA BOT and friends brag about how good they are doing…

Should we set up a poll to see if we should stop making polls?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Very dissatisfied with the 69% Samuel Merritt board pass rate

Very dissatisfied with the 25% of matriculated Barry students that will drop out.

Very dissatisfied with the 25% of matriculated Barry students that will drop out.
Barry [podiatry school] gets picked on a lot, but I will say this: they accept and give scholarships to a ton of international and ESL students.
That is how the whole university runs and always has (they have tons of grad and undergrad programs). It's a Catholic school that wants to give ppl a chance at college. The podiatry school is the same way (highly diverse) for obvious reasons of being in an international port city and the university's mission/goals/history.

Just like any pod school, they will have some fantastic grads at Barry and some duds. The top 25% or so of my class got their top residency, usually a competitive and good/elite one. The middle 50% might have matched their top or a backup, depending on how they interviewed and whether or not they were trying to outkick the coverage. The bottom 25% mostly matched crap residencies or scrambled for same... like most pod schools do. Some students flunk out or go to 5 year program... like any school. Perhaps it's a higher % attrition at Barry than some other pod schools that take 95% caucasian. I dunno, but Barry is absolutely the most diverse in ethnicity of pod students every single year and the most ESL every single year, so consider that... all I'd say there.

...I don't think I've had these convos on SDN since I was a pre-pod, but if there is a Hunger Games for current pod schools, I think it'd be pretty obvious how it'd go. If pod students were limited (what a dream!) and the limited student and tuition money decided the closings of schools, here are your winners:

Podiatry Schools 2023 Hunger Games:
  1. OCPM/Kent is first to die in 2028 as residency shortages and student crunch begins since it's a in crap cloudy city, not good historic pod results, few decent residencies, many faculty TFPs. View related memes.
  2. LECOM dies early 2029 also since it's the crummier of the PA schools... and basically right by Cleveland in terms of crummy city, weather, homely women. Seems the DO school is not exactly the nation's best either. Hmm.
  3. NYCPM is the biggest city and the podiatry insurance fraud capital of the world, but the school is obviously out in 2034 because it's often the worst pod school and most residencies of NYC are laughable... need we say more? Memes say more.
  4. One of the Cali schools dies... probably Oakland since LA is nicer and newer and passes boards once in awhile.
  5. Midwestern crumps 2037 since there are no good nearby residencies, Phoenix has no water, Cali is better to live and DMU is smarter.
  6. Barry lasts a decent time based on awesome Miami location but succumbs 2040 since it's not integrated and some of their smart students chase the babes or get sunburn fatigue when they should be in the library.
  7. Rio Grande Tex flexes on low tuition and decent faculty, but the location just sucks and closes 2044 since many students don't want all wound salvage nonsense or to clip meth head toenails when the cartels send their mules to the student clinic.
  8. Des Moines hangs awhile despite one of the worst pod cities for desirability, but historically best academics/match can't hold on forever. Students vote with their feet and shun the cornfields and the wards in 2048.
  9. The year is 2049: Scholl proves everything is in a name and survives to take bronze on the fact that Dr Scholls corn pads and gel insoles are legend even if windy city has few good residencies and major TFP saturation, Western pimps to silver with good Los Angelos location and integrated campus despite causing a residency shortage, and Temple outlasts for the gold just because it's "Haaaw-vawd" and there needs to be an East coast podiatry school... so they win that one by default of the other eastern USA pod schools being even more inept than they are.
So, there... done and over with ^^^ . Student demand wins out, three podiatry schools remain in East, West, Central... about 200 seats/yr, student stats skyrocket, all grads get good residency training, nearly all pass surgery board cert. Podiatry jobs are soon plentiful and DPMs eventually make what MDs make by the year 2075. Done. Over. Yahtzee. 👑👑👑

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
@Feli I just clicked the link to your practice site on the bottom of your message and I'd like to know why you're not wearing a stethoscope in your "about me" pic. I'm very concerned you might not be a real doc.

I do dig the St. Bernard with the barrel collar motif tho.

Barry [podiatry school] gets picked on a lot, but I will say this: they accept and give scholarships to a ton of international and ESL students.
That is how the whole university runs and always has (they have tons of grad and undergrad programs). It's a Catholic school that wants to give ppl a chance at college. The podiatry school is the same way (highly diverse) for obvious reasons of being in an international port city and the university's mission/goals/history.

Just like any pod school, they will have some fantastic grads at Barry and some duds. The top 25% or so of my class got their top residency, usually a competitive and good/elite one. The middle 50% might have matched their top or a backup, depending on how they interviewed and whether or not they were trying to outkick the coverage. The bottom 25% mostly matched crap residencies or scrambled for same... like most pod schools do. Some students flunk out or go to 5 year program... like any school. Perhaps it's a higher % attrition at Barry than some other pod schools that take 95% caucasian. I dunno, but Barry is absolutely the most diverse in ethnicity of pod students every single year and the most ESL every single year, so consider that... all I'd say there.

...I don't think I've had these convos on SDN since I was a pre-pod, but if there is a Hunger Games for current pod schools, I think it'd be pretty obvious how it'd go. If pod students were limited (what a dream!) and the limited student and tuition money decided the closings of schools, here are your winners:

Podiatry Schools 2023 Hunger Games:
  1. OCPM/Kent is first to die in 2028 as residency shortages and student crunch begins since it's a in crap cloudy city, not good historic pod results, few decent residencies, many faculty TFPs. View related memes.
  2. LECOM dies early 2029 also since it's the crummier of the PA schools... and basically right by Cleveland in terms of crummy city, weather, homely women. Seems the DO school is not exactly the nation's best either. Hmm.
  3. NYCPM is the biggest city and the podiatry insurance fraud capital of the world, but the school is obviously out in 2034 because it's often the worst pod school and most residencies of NYC are laughable... need we say more? Memes say more.
  4. One of the Cali schools dies... probably Oakland since LA is nicer and newer and passes boards once in awhile.
  5. Midwestern crumps 2037 since there are no good nearby residencies, Phoenix has no water, Cali is better to live and DMU is smarter.
  6. Barry lasts a decent time based on awesome Miami location but succumbs 2040 since it's not integrated and some of their smart students chase the babes or get sunburn fatigue when they should be in the library.
  7. Rio Grande Tex flexes on low tuition and decent faculty, but the location just sucks and closes 2044 since many students don't want all wound salvage nonsense or to clip meth head toenails when the cartels send their mules to the student clinic.
  8. Des Moines hangs awhile despite one of the worst pod cities for desirability, but historically best academics/match can't hold on forever. Students vote with their feet and shun the cornfields and the wards in 2048.
  9. The year is 2049: Scholl proves everything is in a name and survives to take bronze on the fact that Dr Scholls corn pads and gel insoles are legend even if windy city has few good residencies and major TFP saturation, Western pimps to silver with good Los Angelos location and integrated campus despite causing a residency shortage, and Temple outlasts for the gold just because it's "Haaaw-vawd" and there needs to be an East coast podiatry school... so they win that one by default of the other eastern USA pod schools being even more inept than they are.
So, there... done and over with ^^^ . Student demand wins out, three podiatry schools remain in East, West, Central... about 200 seats/yr, student stats skyrocket, all grads get good residency training, nearly all pass surgery board cert. Podiatry jobs are soon plentiful and DPMs eventually make what MDs make by the year 2075. Done. Over. Yahtzee. 👑👑👑

Nice write-up. This gives me an idea... fantasy football: podiatry apocalypse edition.

It’s Friday night, they’re probably off at a Jimmy Buffett concert or some other boomer gathering.

Taylor Swift Eras Tour xD

40 votes so far. Still cracking up at the 1 and only positive shill vote.

40 votes so far. Still cracking up at the 1 and only positive shill vote.
That was me! I really love that there are only 20 jobs on the ACFAS job search, and none on Linkedin!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hilarious, I never heard the school referred to as this.
I remember interviewing there years and years ago, and they really emphasized Temple as the Harvard of podiatry school. 🙄

• Haha
  • Okay...
I remember interviewing there years and years ago, and they really emphasized Temple as the Harvard of podiatry school. 🙄

Nobody can argue that temple has been a top 10 school for many years now.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
That was me! I really love that there are only 20 jobs on the ACFAS job search, and none on Linkedin!

You joke but that’s what all these private practice owners are salivating at.

• Love