Pre-Med Crisis: DIY or Formal Postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnzymaticFuture

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Pre-med family, hope all is well. I just have a quick question. I got accepted to the GeorgeSquared post bacc program but i was wondering if a DIY postbacc (30 credits) would be just as good to get me looked at for most DO schools and maybe low-tiered MD schools (if successful in post bacc & MCAT)?

Stats: 3.09 cgpa, 2.85 sgpa, 3.64 other

East African, URM

Great EC and LORs

MCAT pending.

Members don't see this ad.

Do they have linkage? If so I think it's probably worth doing. I did a DIY post bac, and while it got me where I wanted to go its stressful scrambling around for courses at different schools.

Reactions: 1 user
No linkage unfortunately. However, completion of the program does lead to Masters in Physiology @Georgetown if i take an additional 3 courses over the summer. I would be doing the DIY postbacc at my state school (UNLV) so I wont necessarily be scrambling around lol I just dont know how med schools and D.O schools feel about DIY postbaccs compared to a formal one.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you do well there's no difference in a DIY or formal

Do they have linkage? If so I think it's probably worth doing. I did a DIY post bac, and while it got me where I wanted to go its stressful scrambling around for courses at different schools.

I'm currently having this issue. It's difficult to find classes that fit my work schedule.

I'm currently having this issue. It's difficult to find classes that fit my work schedule.
I agree my local university told me they didn't have any more classes to offer. I did a diy post back but I've been accepted into a master's with a linkage. I wasn' able to retake classes I had a c in. So I went to a state/community college. I'd stick with a formal or linkage imo much easier, they have it planned for you. Good luck to you and OP!

Hey Pre-med family, hope all is well. I just have a quick question. I got accepted to the GeorgeSquared post bacc program but i was wondering if a DIY postbacc (30 credits) would be just as good to get me looked at for most DO schools and maybe low-tiered MD schools (if successful in post bacc & MCAT)?

Stats: 3.09 cgpa, 2.85 sgpa, 3.64 other

East African, URM

Great EC and LORs

MCAT pending.

I know 2 people that did the Gtown SMP (I was a biochem grad student at the time). They both were accepted to MD schools. My fellow biochem grad program students, of us - 3/9 went to med school and are either done/almost done now and I am about to start now. Not sure if that helps, just my anecdotal input.

Good luck with whatever you decide!