Pulmonary and Critical Care fellowship 2020/2021 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wish you guys the best. I wish there were more pulm/crit spots open.

Members don't see this ad.

I withdrew when I signed the LOI...

Still getting rejections though

The ERAS system is a little clunky on the PDWS side. Even if you withdraw you still show up on the "all applicants" filter (which is the default). If the program uses the ERAS system to send their rejections, but doesn't change the export filter to "all active applicants" then you'll get an email even if you've withdrawn.

I'm not saying I've made this mistake... but... I've forgotten to change that filter.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What does it mean, if the program coordinator sends you a thank you email after interviewing with them and it reads “we wish you best of luck with the interview season. Please contact us if you have any questions.”

Is it standard? I am freaking out.. I don’t like the sounds of it

What does it mean, if the program coordinator sends you a thank you email after interviewing with them and it reads “we wish you best of luck with the interview season. Please contact us if you have any questions.”

Is it standard? I am freaking out.. I don’t like the sounds of it

that sounds pretty standard, i wouldnt worry

I am on the waitlist too. As per the coordinator, there are total3 candidates on the waitlist, so they might open new slots if no cancellations occur. Anyways they are interviewing until 11/10, someone will cancel.

thanks for the update. She hasn’t actually responded to me. Did she tel you they may open a day for us or was that guess? Crossing my fingers for all 3 of us.

How can I access Sheet for Interview Invite? did Nassau University Medical center, NY send out Interviews?

Mayo Clinic Florida invite

Reactions: 2 users
Uni of Florida invite today, likely 2nd wave of invites

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody interviewed at Texas tech for CCM? Have they filled up? Any idea..

If you are particularly interested in one of the programs you are interviewing at, is it a good idea to ask your mentor to call them after interview? Or is it better to have them call later closer to ranking?

Hi all,
I am a current PGY2 at a smaller program wanting to do critical care fellowship. Is it a big disadvantage to be coming from a smaller, not well known program, or would research, case reports, and letters of recommendations outweigh that? Also does anyone recommend doing a rotation with a fellowship program that I am interested in, sort of like an audition rotation but to get to know the program and do some networking? Thanks!

Anybody interviewed at Texas tech for CCM? Have they filled up? Any idea..
Is it PCCM or CCM? I am not aware of Texas Tech having a CCM program? (Im a resident at TTU)

So I guess I'll start the whole "how would you rank these" since I'm wrapping up interviews soon. Hope people have found this cycle to be helpful, though zoom isn't ideal.

I'm looking for good clinical training with opportunity to pursue research and stay in academics. I've already gotten some good advice but was curious about outside perspectives as well. Based off of interviews I have places tentatively ranked as follows:

Ohio State
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Boston U
Emory
Dartmouth
UC-Davis
Indiana

Thanks for any input, and good luck to everyone the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Is it PCCM or CCM? I am not aware of Texas Tech having a CCM program? (Im a resident at TTU)
They do have one, but it is a 1 year program only for those who have done a 2 year fellowship previously like Pulm/Nephro.

So I guess I'll start the whole "how would you rank these" since I'm wrapping up interviews soon. Hope people have found this cycle to be helpful, though zoom isn't ideal.

I'm looking for good clinical training with opportunity to pursue research and stay in academics. I've already gotten some good advice but was curious about outside perspectives as well. Based off of interviews I have places tentatively ranked as follows:

Ohio State
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Boston U
Emory
Dartmouth
UC-Davis
Indiana

Congrats for those amazing interviews! I agree Ohio State is probably the one with best reputation in the list. Not taking into account location I probably would place Minnesota, Emory and BU next but any of those places are very top. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
They do have one, but it is a 1 year program only for those who have done a 2 year fellowship previously like Pulm/Nephro.
Oh I see! My apologies.

After weeks of nothing, back to back to back rejections .... awesome.

Ohio State
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Boston U
Emory
Dartmouth
UC-Davis
Indiana

Those are some great programs, congrats! I am looking for comprehensive clinical training, with an eye towards staying in academic medicine. We don't have much overlap, but I was also really impressed with Ohio State. I think my list is:

Ohio State
University of Rochester
University of Miami/Jackson Memorial
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of Florida
University of South Florida
UCSF-Fresno
Loyola
MedStar-Georgetown Washington Hospital
UMMS-Baystate

Those are some great programs, congrats! I am looking for comprehensive clinical training, with an eye towards staying in academic medicine. We don't have much overlap, but I was also really impressed with Ohio State. I think my list is:

Ohio State
University of Rochester
University of Florida
UCSF-Fresno
Loyola
UMMS-Baystate
This is a good list as well. I only know about Florida, VCU, and Rochester but I have heard great things about each and much may vary on location.

From my understanding Florida has a lot of pleural disease and ample transplant (89 last year). VCU seems very clinical but the med center has been expanding with seemingly more research, and Richmond is a nice place in my opinion. I feel Rochester has good pathology and research given location but doesn't do transplant. Also, Loyola is a very active transplant center if you want end-stage disease and that experience. But you may not.

Honestly I haven't had any pulm/CCM interviews where I found any red flags. I think I'll be able to get a really solid clinical education at any of them. Anything you've seen or heard about that is concerning?

Honestly I haven't had any pulm/CCM interviews where I found any red flags. I think I'll be able to get a really solid clinical education at any of them. Anything you've seen or heard about that is concerning?
No, to be honest I think everywhere has been solid. There is regional variation with anesthesia managing airways, so I have asked that at most places. Also, much will depend on how invested I want to become in research. Some places definitely seem more research-centric, which others have more flexibility with clinical electives. All in all I am leaning towards the prospect of having both and think a T32 could be a good opportunity. But I have liked everywhere.

Ohio State
University of Rochester
University of Florida
UCSF-Fresno
Loyola
UMMS-Baystate
Solid places my friend! I think you order is pretty good. I think VCU probably has more research than U of Miami if you are interested in that. But Miami is a prime location. I also have heard very good thinks about Loyola. I don’t know too much about UCSF fresno but again location matters at lot.
Good luck!

How would you rank these places? Main interest in clinical training.

Uni of Cincinnati

Georgetown Wash Hosp DC

Uni of Tennessee Knoxville

UCSF Fresno

Texas A & M

Albert Einstein

Does anyone know until when UCSF Fresno is continuing to interview? Was told to expect an invitation by a connection but every passing day makes it less likely at this point.

Hey guys, long term lurker! Was hoping to get some insight on these programs/advice on how to rank them. It's been a little difficult getting the feel for all the programs on Zoom (is it just me?)! I'm mainly interested in clinical training

Rush
Baylor (Houston)
Allegheny
Henry Ford
Loma Linda
Metro (Cleveland)
NYU-Winthtrop
Spectrum Health (Grand Rapids)

Is anyone on an H1b actually having a good application season? I am not sure if it is just me or is just that it is very difficult to match in this specialty when you are on an H1.

Does anyone know until when UCSF Fresno is continuing to interview? Was told to expect an invitation by a connection but every passing day makes it less likely at this point.
I know they are interviewing at least until Oct 20 or so .

Hey guys, long term lurker! Was hoping to get some insight on these programs/advice on how to rank them. It's been a little difficult getting the feel for all the programs on Zoom (is it just me?)! I'm mainly interested in clinical training

Rush
Baylor (Houston)
Allegheny
Henry Ford
Loma Linda
Metro (Cleveland)
NYU-Winthtrop
Spectrum Health (Grand Rapids)
I know Baylor has great clinical training and the rotations cover everything from transplant, to LVAD, to IP. That would be my top choice of that group but depends on if you like Houston. Cool city, hot and humid af, huge, but you can live near the entire hospital complex so doesn't seem to be a big deal to the fellows.

Congratulations on these amazing lists so far!! I am also a long term lurker looking for advice because...you right @Patchesochuckles, it has been really hard to get the feel of programs!

1) What do people consider a "good balance" between clinical and research time? There are a few programs I have interviewed at that claim to have that but then have 18 months research requirement which seems atrocious for someone like me lol but not sure if I'm just ignorant and don't have the right expectations lol

2) I also want to go to a strong clinical training program! Can anyone advise on how they would rank the following?
University of Illinois @ Chicago
UMass
Brigham&Women's
Brown
Westchester Medical Center
Montefiore (Albert Einstein)
Lenox-Hill
UPMC
Cedars-Sinai
UCSD
UC Irvine
Harbor-UCLA

Can someone rank the Southern California programs in terms of best clinical/research exposure and strength/reputation of program and perhaps give a little insight about each program and why they are ranked where they are?

USC, UC Irvine, UCLA, UCSD, Loma Linda, Cedars Sinai, UCLA Harbor

Can someone rank the Southern California programs in terms of best clinical/research exposure and strength/reputation of program and perhaps give a little insight about each program and why they are ranked where they are?

I would love to know the answer to this as well, I scoured quite a few threads and haven't really seen anything

This is from another forum:

UCSF - very research heavy, expectation is that you are going on to NIH funded career--and they have a great record for producing fellows who are very successful in this mold. Critical care gets short shrift in terms of training--(the first year is nearly 100% pulm, and expect to get most of your intubation experience in the OR or at a 'difficult airways' course).

Stanford - bit of a middle ground, good clinical training, good research opportunities, probably about 1/2 go academic, 1/2 private practice. they are well known for their non pccm crit care fellowships, so be prepared to always be in the ICU w/ a fellow who is a) probably a board certified anesthesiologist, and b) spending more of their time in the ICU that year than you are.

Davis - relatively small two-institution program, well regarded for both research and clinical training, definitely punching above their weight class.

UCSF/Fresno - Happy fellows, and the program is well regarded for clinical training. you spend a month in SF for transplant training, so in some ways more well rounded than plenty of more well known academic programs. biggest drawback is definitely location for most folks, in addition to lacking a name that travels outside of the state.

UCLA - most 'academic' of the CA programs w/ research opportunities in every subfield of pccm, although the average candidate goes on to be a clinician educator, and perhaps 1/3 go the 80% research route. plenty of procedures done by fellows (in part because it sounds like the residents here don't expect to do their own lines and thoras)

USC - the classic county hospital experience, with a name that travels. some research opportunities. All of GME at LAC-USC is under probation, but it seems like the pulm program itself is pretty much unscathed (cardiology on the other hand... ).

Cedars-Sinai - The division produces a good amount of basic science and has big names in PH and ILD, although the fellows themselves mostly go on to private practice with a few clinician educator types. The fellows suggest this might be a somewhat 'easier' program.

UCLA/harbor - small program, with most rotations at UCLA-harbor itself, but taking advantage of UCLA affiliation for advanced lung dz training. Faculty very well known for pulmonary physiology and CPET interpretation. Most fellows (from what I gather) go onto private practice.

Loma Linda - well respected and well rounded program in inland empire. 3 institutions, including a VA experience.

Need Help Ranking some Programs.

I realize a lot of these places are classic academic powerhouses.

My interest is getting good clinical training and clinical research experience. Likely will stay in academia but trying to avoid bench research

Biggest concern is avoiding a malignant program - or one that is going to push T32, K grant stuff

Current Order:
-MGH/BIDMC
-UColorado
-Emory
-Duke
-Northwestern
-JHU
-WashU
-Yale
-Vanderbilt
-UCLA
-UNC
-Rush
-BU
-UChicago

My interest is getting good clinical training and clinical research experience. Likely will stay in academia but trying to avoid bench research

Biggest concern is avoiding a malignant program - or one that is going to push T32, K grant stuff

Current Order:
-MGH/BIDMC
-UColorado
-Emory
-Duke
-Northwestern
-JHU
-WashU
-Yale
-Vanderbilt
-UCLA
-UNC
-Rush
-BU
-UChicago
My goodness what a list.

Current Order:
-MGH/BIDMC
-UColorado
-Emory
-Duke
-Northwestern
-JHU
-WashU
-Yale
-Vanderbilt
-UCLA
-UNC
-Rush
-BU
-UChicago

congrats! we have a lot of overlap, it seems.

you can’t go wrong at any of these places. My sense is that it ultimately boils down to what you want as well as overall fit. With that said, I got the impression that programs in Boston, Chicago, and Bay Area as well as Hopkins don’t do airway (someone please chime in if this is outdated). If you want to do PP or eventually practice in a region where airway is expected even amongst academic folks, this could a daybreaker, but it’s def not an issue for others. Some places also vary in procedures; chest tube placement and EBUS, for example, are very weak at some of the programs because IP owns them. Mentorship and clinical exposure is also very varied - do you want a career in ILD? Ecmo? Pulm HTN? TB? Transplant? That could also affect your order.

Program location is also a thing; on your days off, will you (and anyone you bring with you) be happy in your new location? Is Covid taken seriously in the area / does your program have a plan for if your hospital surges?

Re: T32 - some places expect all their fellows to do T32 during their research time and do a 4th research year of fellowship. T32 fellow salaries can be lower than the hospital PGY salary and may also interfere with some loan repayment programs. If you are serious about avoiding programs that push for T32 or K grants, it’s worth asking about this re: programs on the top half of your list. Also, if you want to be an academic clinician as opposed to the physician scientist , would you be ok with 18 months of clinical time or would a program with more clinical time be more in line with your goals? Conversely, is 12 months enough time to do enough research to keep your foot in the door within academia as an academic clinician? (I don’t know the answer to this last question, so if anyone reading this has any input, would def appreciate it!)

Ultimately, I don’t have any answers, since I’m in a similar boat. At the end of the day, I guess it’s the match algorithm that decides?

Last edited:
Is anyone on an H1b actually having a good application season? I am not sure if it is just me or is just that it is very difficult to match in this specialty when you are on an H1.

How many interviews did you get ?

Anyone interview at Baylor University Dallas?
when do they send the interview link and details? I have mine in 2 days and I still do not have any info other then the original interview invite.
I will appreciate any Input.
Thanks

Current Order:
-MGH/BIDMC
-UColorado
-Emory
-Duke
-Northwestern
-JHU
-WashU
-Yale
-Vanderbilt
-UCLA
-UNC
-Rush
-BU
-UChicago

Having interviewed at some of those programs last cycle if your priority is good clinical training then MGH/BIDMC has no business being your number 1 and if anything should be toward the bottom. My sense is among others such as Vanderbilt, Duke, Colorado, which are much more clinically heavy, MGH was extremely cush as fellows took very little call and the place seemed interested in breeding bench scientists. Take it with a grain of salt as I'm not a fellow at any of the above places.