Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship 2021/2022 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys think my poor step 1 score is filtering me (what a bummer that a test 4+ yrs ago is still haunting me…)?
I plugged those numbers into my algorithm and 210, 240, 240 would give you nearly full points for board scores. So if you're running into problems it's unlikely to be from step 1. Other programs may do things differently, but step 1 really isn't a big consideration as long as you passed it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a DO who only took COMLEX exams. I know there are still a few programs that are well known to not accept DOs, but will not having taken the Step exams impact my chance at many programs?

I plugged those numbers into my algorithm and 210, 240, 240 would give you nearly full points for board scores. So if you're running into problems it's unlikely to be from step 1. Other programs may do things differently, but step 1 really isn't a big consideration as long as you passed it.
Thank you so much for your insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jumping on the bandwagon 🤠
Non US- IMG
25x/25x/25x, CS: passed
uni affiliated community program
2 pubs, 6 posters
Home country critical care experience
No interviews so far.
“It is too early”, that’s how I sleep at night.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
For people who got invites from WashU, are you an IM or EM applicant? From what I surmise they are two separate application processes...

The CCM interview process is going to be a little bit slower this year because for the first time IM-CCM is going into the fellowship match. That means (unless they buck the trend and stay out of the match), programs don't need to rush and interview quickly and start sending offers. Everyone is on the same slow timeline.

By this time last year we had already sent out interview offers and had our first virtual interviews. This year I can take the process a little bit slower.

The APCCMPD (Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Program Directors) recommended that programs continue to do virtual interviews. It's not a requirement so each program gets to choose. We opted for a hybrid this year; some days are in-person and will be open to residents of the area (with shifting covid issues I don't want out-of-state people making travel plans and then having to cancel them at the last minute), and the rest will be virtual.

And for what it's worth, in regards to all of the rejections that WashU is sending out, when a program rejects the field this early in the process, it usually means they filled from within. Or set an extremely high bar for limited spots and reject anything below it because they know they'll fill without a problem (which WashU can do)
The match this year is news to me. So is every program in ERAS going to enter the match, and does this include EM applicants specifically also? Does this also mean we won't find out the results of the match until March of next year? Not exactly stoked to be waiting that long...

Can any one suggest any critical care programs that don't participate in ERAS or the match? Other than Mercy?

The match this year is news to me. So is every program in ERAS going to enter the match, and does this include EM applicants specifically also? Does this also mean we won't find out the results of the match until March of next year? Not exactly stoked to be waiting that long...
From what I understand, not all CCM programs are entering the match but most are for ABIM programs. Match day to start fellowship in July 2022 is mid December. EM applicants applying for CCM through Anesthesia may be different.

That right there...
That's going to be exclusionary. Until you have that result your application isn't complete and won't be reviewed. And even though the process is slowed down this year, there will come a point at which programs will fill their interview spots and not review applications any further.

When the result comes in you need to email all of the programs you have applied to and let them know that your application is complete because most won't go back to review the incomplete applications unless they have more interview spots they need to fill.
Thanks so much! This is super helpful!

Woah. Spreadsheet has been awfully silent today.
I think a lot of programs are reviewing each application one by one. Hence why it’s taking a lot of time. A lot of my colleagues from different programs are without interviews. It’s what’s keeping me sane lol

Reactions: 1 user
MCW did send out a secondary survey today, seems with all these applications programs are trying to weed out people who just applied, this season, any other season they wouldn’t have had..

Members don't see this ad :)
MCW did send out a secondary survey today, seems with all these applications programs are trying to weed out people who just applied, this season, any other season they wouldn’t have had..
Nah, MCW did the same thing last year

Nah, MCW did the same thing last year
Probably last year programs were running into the same issue: too many applicants, some of whom might appear as people who would in thepre-Covid world would have not applied, hence secondary looks..just my hunch

Probably last year programs were running into the same issue: too many applicants, some of whom might appear as people who would in thepre-Covid world would have not applied, hence secondary looks..just my hunch
I don't think COVID changed anything about the applicants last year. The reason why I say this is that COVID hit around March, and apps were due August. That gives you 5 months to come up with some PCCM research and get 3 letters of recommendation. If you didn't have that set up beforehand, you were going to be hard pressed to put together even the bare minimum. Looking at the applications in ERAS, this data is also true, in 2019 there were 1173 applications for PCCM, and in 2020 during COVID there were 1295 applications, roughly increasing at the same rate as the years before.

I don't think COVID changed anything about the applicants last year. The reason why I say this is that COVID hit around March, and apps were due August. That gives you 5 months to come up with some PCCM research and get 3 letters of recommendation. If you didn't have that set up beforehand, you were going to be hard pressed to put together even the bare minimum. Looking at the applications in ERAS, this data is also true, in 2019 there were 1173 applications for PCCM, and in 2020 during COVID there were 1295 applications, roughly increasing at the same rate as the years before.
Does the data show how many places the people applied to, they just show the number of total applicants, previously ppl would apply to lets say 20-30 places now if they are applying to 40-60 places that essentially doubles the amount of applications a program has to screen. Our program has received at least two times as many applications as per what the aPD tells us

Does the data show how many places the people applied to, they just show the number of total applicants, previously ppl would apply to lets say 20-30 places now if they are applying to 40-60 places that essentially doubles the amount of applications a program has to screen. Our program has received at least two times as many applications as per what the aPD tells us
Yes, 46 vs 49

ABIM put critical care into the subspecialty fellowship match for the first time; PCCM was there already. This affects you whether you are IM or EM because the programs don't differentiate their spots. The recommendation from APCCMPD (Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Program Directors) is that all programs go into the match but it is ultimately up to each place to decide. In order to find out if the programs you're applying to are in the match or not you'd have to ask them. It's supposed to be updated in ERAS and everywhere else but not every place has done that. Best to just ask.

A match process certainly favors the applicant; if you were equivalently interested in CCM and PCCM you can interview for both and match into either. Before, CCM was pre-match and PCCM was in the match so if you got a prematch offer you had to decide how much you really wanted PCCM and what your odds of matching were.

If every program went into the match it would be easy. But if some are outside of the match you have to decide how interested you are in the ones that are outside and again figure out your chances with the ones that are inside the match.

Match Calendars - The Match, National Resident Matching Program (and select Medical Specialties Matching Program from the drop down menu)

As you can see, it's not quite as long of a timeline; match day is Dec 1. The downside is that if you don't match, that's a very short amount of time to find a job before the end of residency.

I understand your point. I want PCCM. But its a matter of being realistic. My credentials are not good enough, then maybe better start early for other options rather than applying to an another fellow in September. No, I don’t like ID or neph as much as pulm but they are good ways to get to crit.
IMO those are probably the worst ways to become an intensivist. You will be competing with numerous nephrologists who have realized how ****ty the nephro job market/lifestyle is, in addition pulm only folks and occasional cardiologists for very few spots.

The competitiveness aside, it’s hard to get good quality CCM training crammed into 1 year. The gap will probably even out if you put the effort in and after a few years of full time CCM (because you won’t want to practice ID/nephro anyway after finishing training for obvious reasons). If you do want to return to ID/nephro after a few years of intensivist work, you will face a knowledge gap and numerous credentialing issues because you wouldn’t have done it for years.

If there's radio silence at this point in the application process, is it a reason to start worrying? If not, is there a particular time point where I should throw in the white flag for the year?

If there's radio silence at this point in the application process, is it a reason to start worrying? If not, is there a particular time point where I should throw in the white flag for the year?
I looked at when interviews were going out last year for pulm/crit (on the prior google sheets on pg 1 of this thread) and it was averaging between 8/25-9/12. Was there a delay last year? If not, then probably safe to say we just need to give the programs more time.

Last edited:
I looked at when interviews were going out last year for pulm/crit (on the prior google sheets on pg 1 of this thread) and it was averaging between 8/25-9/12. Was there a delay last year? If not, then probably safe to safe we just need to give the programs more time.
I think the deadline was 8/12 last year

That would put us on the front end of the timeline. Maybe there will be more action next week in that case. For what it’s worth I’m US MD with decent board scores and big name sleep fellowship and I don’t have anything yet after 50 apps

I spoke with an attending at my hospital who said that some places aren't even reviewing applications until the end of the month. So don't worry yet!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey friends. US MD here. 24X/26X/23X, 10 pubs, 14 posters/presentations. Community IM program. Applied to ~40 PCCM programs. Haven't heard a peep from any and starting to worry. Is it too early/late to start contacting PCs?

There was for sure. Everything else lined up, just forced the programs to review applications in a smaller time frame. ROL and Match day were unchanged.

There was for sure. Everything else lined up, just forced the programs to review applications in a smaller time frame. ROL and Match day were unchanged.
Meaning programs may be at a slower pace for this year

So... someone delete everything from the spreadsheet for CCM programs. None of the programs are showing up. Are you guys seeing this too?

Hi guys, just jumping in too.

US MD, upper-middle tier residency
Nothing special with research (3 pubs, 7 presentations oral and poster)
Some quality improvement work with current job
Bunch of volunteer work abroad
Been a hospitalist for about 2 years now
USMLE 220s on average

Applied PCCM to about 27 places. A lot of activity on the spreadsheet today but no interviews yet.

Last edited:
US DO here
Took only COMLEX and am not at a well known residency, and I’m concerned both of those aspects are hurting my application. I do have some research, several poster presentations and 1 publication. I have only heard from 1 PCCM program so far. I did also apply to CCM. Does anyone recommend following up with my top choice programs?

Did any one got acknowledgment from cook county program saying “ we received your application and is under review.”

Reactions: 3 users
US DO here
Took only COMLEX and am not at a well known residency, and I’m concerned both of those aspects are hurting my application. I do have some research, several poster presentations and 1 publication. I have only heard from 1 PCCM program so far. I did also apply to CCM. Does anyone recommend following up with my top choice programs?
I still feel like it’s a bit early. I just got my first invite today and it seems like the majority of programs have yet to send a single invite.

Reactions: 2 users
IMG doesnt need visa, 250s x 3, 2 publications, 7 posters including ATS and national ACP, 4 abstracts, 1 year of research prior to residency. Doing Geri fellowship currently at a university program. Residency at a community program. No invites yet

Guys does anyone have an idea how is Houston Methodist PCCM fellowship program? Just got an invite.

Did anyone get confirmation of their interview date from Houston Methodist?

if a program sends out first round of interviews....does it typically mean they wont send out another round unless there are cancellations?

ABIM put critical care into the subspecialty fellowship match for the first time; PCCM was there already. This affects you whether you are IM or EM because the programs don't differentiate their spots. The recommendation from APCCMPD (Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Program Directors) is that all programs go into the match but it is ultimately up to each place to decide. In order to find out if the programs you're applying to are in the match or not you'd have to ask them. It's supposed to be updated in ERAS and everywhere else but not every place has done that. Best to just ask.

A match process certainly favors the applicant; if you were equivalently interested in CCM and PCCM you can interview for both and match into either. Before, CCM was pre-match and PCCM was in the match so if you got a prematch offer you had to decide how much you really wanted PCCM and what your odds of matching were.

If every program went into the match it would be easy. But if some are outside of the match you have to decide how interested you are in the ones that are outside and again figure out your chances with the ones that are inside the match.

Match Calendars - The Match, National Resident Matching Program (and select Medical Specialties Matching Program from the drop down menu)

As you can see, it's not quite as long of a timeline; match day is Dec 1. The downside is that if you don't match, that's a very short amount of time to find a job before the end of residency.
So does this mean EM applicants are going to be lumped in together with IM now? I read on an ACEP forum somewhere that Pitt was going to have a separate match for EM and separate for IM but I didn’t fully understand how that would be possible. Do you think it will have a significant impact on how many EM applicants get into CCM? It certainly seems like EM has more to lose with CCM joining the match than IM does wit the much larger number of IM applicants.

if a program sends out first round of interviews....does it typically mean they wont send out another round unless there are cancellations?
I'm wondering this too. I have yet to get an interview with about half my list having sent out invites thus far. Its making me a little nervous not sure what to expect.

As with everything in medicine... it depends.
A program could try and fill all of their interview spots in one wave, then seek more if they don't fill all their interview spots. Or they might send out more if they're going through interviews and not finding people they mesh well with. Or it might be staggered; sending out the invites to the people they want to give the best dates to and then send a subsequent wave.

Lots of ways to skin this cat. However with the match process, there's less incentive to have a lot of little smaller waves of tiered applicants, and instead just simplify things with a single wave.

So does this mean EM applicants are going to be lumped in together with IM now? I read on an ACEP forum somewhere that Pitt was going to have a separate match for EM and separate for IM but I didn’t fully understand how that would be possible. Do you think it will have a significant impact on how many EM applicants get into CCM? It certainly seems like EM has more to lose with CCM joining the match than IM does wit the much larger number of IM applicants.

It does make it weird for EM applicants. A program has the option of not putting all of their spots into the ABIM match and a place like Pitt could get away with doing that; only send the IM applicants through the match and have all the EM applicants compete for a smaller number of out-of-match positions. Less well known places would have a harder time making that work out in their favor.

It makes things very interesting for programs. For example... last year we had 6 spots and I wanted to have a mix of IM and EM fellows so that played a factor as I was sending out pre-match offers (since CCM wasn't in the match last year). This year I have the same 6 spots, would like a mix of IM and EM again, but I have no idea how or to where we're going to fall on our match list. So I could potentially end up with all IM or all EM and have no way to build my rank list to ensure that I get some of each. The IM people may also be ranking PCCM programs but EM people aren't so in a way the IM people have a greater chance of matching somewhere else. All things being equal if my list alternates between IM and EM people, I'm more likely to get a class of all EM people. If I try to weight it and have more IM people toward the top I could weight it wrong and never fall to an EM person that I might have really wanted. The match process is a lot more ulcer-inducing for me than the outside-the-match process was.

I understand it’s early, but I am realizing I may not be passing the filters.
IMG-need J1. 238/237/cs second attempt/ step 3 pending result.
No chief year
Good research background.
Small community program.

so just thinking maybe its better to start early in the game with nephro/ID/Sleep rather than applying last minute in desperate mode
Nope bad mistake . See nephrology is dead thread in other subspecialties.