Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship 2021/2022 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone get an invite from UCSD?

It means somebody is filling out the spreadsheet wrong. It is supposed to mean that a program is full or not recruiting.

I'm wondering if some of the PCCM excel sheet is being filled out by CC applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you guys please tell us how many interviews everyone has and if you dont mind your credentials (notes, chief, research) too?

Comtemplating the idea of withdrawing pccm this season

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you guys please tell us how many interviews everyone has and if you dont mind your credentials (notes, chief, research) too?

IMG - need visa
Steps 238/237/CS2nd attempt/245
Community program
Research fellowship for 3 years prior to IM in PCCM
Polysomnography technician
Medical Genetics in Spain
>20 manuscripts, 4 first authors. >50 posters. >5 oral presentations.

1 interview so far. Small community program in a rural area.

What would be the advantage of withdrawing at this point?

Reactions: 1 users
IMG - need visa
Steps 238/237/CS2nd attempt/245
Community program
Research fellowship for 3 years prior to IM in PCCM
Polysomnography technician
Medical Genetics in Spain
>20 manuscripts, 4 first authors. >50 posters. >5 oral presentations.

1 interview so far. Small community program in a rural area.
seems competitive aside from the CS 2nd attempt. How many programs did you apply to? from my experience this cycle it just appears programs are looking at board scores more than anything which is frustrating

US MD top 5 Med school
Community IM residency, no chief year
240s-230s-230s +CS all first try
Applied 2019 to 50 programs, got 10 interviews, ranked 6, didn’t match
Did top 5 sleep program
1 first author case report in low impact journal, 5 posters including ATS, two oral presentations, textbook chapter, lots of QI and teaching
Now re-applied to 50 pccm programs and have one interview, large urban non-academic, not sweating it, still too early to panic

US MD top 5 Med school
Community IM residency, no chief year
240s-230s-230s +CS all first try
Applied 2019 to 50 programs, got 10 interviews, ranked 6, didn’t match
Did top 5 sleep program
1 first author case report in low impact journal, 5 posters including ATS, two oral presentations, textbook chapter, lots of QI and teaching
Now re-applied to 50 pccm programs and have one interview, large urban non-academic, not sweating it, still too early to panic
also seems competitive enough to match given us-md status with no red flags. out of the 50 programs according to the spreadsheet have most of them sent out interviews? with all the checked boxes its hard to gauge how many II they have sent or could this be a few or could this be the first wave and no more unless people start to cancel.

also seems competitive enough to match given us-md status with no red flags. out of the 50 programs according to the spreadsheet have most of them sent out interviews? with all the checked boxes its hard to gauge how many II they have sent or could this be a few or could this be the first wave and no more unless people start to cancel.
According to the spreadsheet yes, according to reality I think probably not

US-IMG. Pgy3 in a new but big community program in Upstate, NY. Not a cheif. 224, 252, 230 No attempts. 2 years of research prior to IM residency. 4 publications, 9 posters. Applied to 113 PCCM programs. 4 interviews, all university programs that are mid-teir but well known. All invites were this past week (Tuesday to Friday).

125 programs

Applied to total of 18 programs (mixed PCCM and CM in two neighboring states; some programs are from the same hospital/university). Only got one interview.
US IMG (non-carribean), scores 24x/23x/1st attempt/24x
8 posters including CHEST
4 pubs (no original research)
Top 1 in medical school and several academic awards
Previous RN

US-IMG
Step 1 231 Step 2 242/pass Step 3 249 first attempts.
Urban IM Residency Program
PGY3 Chief
4 years of clinical research prior to medical school, 20 peer reviewed manuscripts, many posters/presentations.
Continued to run research studies through residency.
Applied to 64 programs (mostly east and west coast, plus all of the top 10 programs)
7 interviews so far

Are we still early in the cycle? From that excel sheet, it looks like a lot of programs have already sent invites. Are we considering that accurate?

Members don't see this ad :)
US-IMG
Step 1 235 Step 2 238/pass Step 3 225 first attempts.
University Residency Program
10+ posters/presentations at CHEST/ATS/SCCM etc no peer reviewed pubs.
Applied to 50 programs all over

2 interviews. I think it’s likely we’re still early. Of course that could just be my inner mantra to cope. The stress is building.

Last edited:
US-IMG
average board scores-all first attempt
Big university Program for residency
No pubs
7 research/case report posters at Chest/ATS/SCCM.
Applied to 140 programs.
No interviews so far.

it seems logical that there are programs still reviewing applications, but have to say that the anxiety is getting the best of me.

Looks like someone sorted the sheet by having all the "IMG-Needs Visa" at the top. I re-sorted it by state -> city -> program name.

Anyone have any luck with interviews after reaching out to programs via email expressing interest?

Anyone have any luck with interviews after reaching out to programs via email expressing interest?
I have heard the PD's are really busy and this doesn't work. See Dr. Bob's comments earlier in this trail regarding Letters of Intent / Interest. Similar concept. But don't let me stop you. Just what I've heard

Last edited:
I have heard the PD's are really busy and this doesn't work. See Dr. Bob's comments earlier in this trail regarding Letters of Intent / Interest. Similar concept. But don't let me stop you. Just what I've heard

I got an email the other day with an attached pdf. The person had put together a letter of intent and gotten it notarized. It stated that if I would give them an interview they would rank my program #1 in the match and that the letter should be considered as a binding agreement on their part to do so. Keep in mind, they hadn't actually been to my hospital or seen anything else about my program other than our fabulous website. And since CCM is now in the match, there's no such thing as a binding agreement before the match (unless the program is outside of the whole process).

It also started with "Esteemed Dr. Program Director"

To be honest, the letter and whole concept was silly enough to make me pause and go look at their application again.
And then the desperation made sense.

Any email/letter you send, at best is just going to be lost amongst the background noise of all the other emails we get. At worst, it's going to be a red flag itself.

We know you're interested in our program; you paid to apply. If you weren't interested... well... I would hope you could find better things to do with your money.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Is it risky if I have applied to PCCM and cards fellowship at the same institution? does that affect my chance in both specialties?

Hey yall, do we have a google spreadsheet buried somewhere? Can someone point out where it might be? Thank you!

Did UPMC really send out rejections? According to the spreadsheet they have but I haven’t received an invite or a rejection as of yet.

What if our PS and board scores didn’t attach when we first applied but we sent a follow up email to the programs? Uploaded everything 7/18 and realized 7/28 that PS and board scores didn’t upload/weren’t attached. Have gotten 2 invites so far.
No, emails notifying programs of updates to your application (especially with an error as common as this) are fine.

What if our PS and board scores didn’t attach when we first applied but we sent a follow up email to the programs? Uploaded everything 7/18 and realized 7/28 that PS and board scores didn’t upload/weren’t attached. Have gotten 2 invites so far.

Those kinds of emails are fine. But just keep them brief. "Hi my name is applicant X, and I wanted to let you know that I've gotten the last few items uploaded so now my ERAS application is complete. I hope to hear good news from you after you have a chance to review it."

I can set my filters to show me applications that have been completed since the last time I ran the filter, or set the filter to only show me completed applications and then sort by the submission date. So even if you don't send this email I'll see your application when I run one of these reports anyways.

Anyone get a confirmation date email from UTMB? I emailed them back thru ERAS Tuesday but have not heard anything since.

Anyone get a confirmation date email from UTMB? I emailed them back thru ERAS Tuesday but have not heard anything since.
Me neither. Apparently they take a few days to confirm.
You should hear back from them today or Monday. A fellow there told me.

Average board scores all 1st-time pass publication, 8 posters, 5 oral presentations and multiple committees, QI projects. US-MD at a good named school, university residents program, and chief year. I've gotten two interviews and freaking out. I was expecting more interviews by now and my letter writers were very upfront with what details they were putting in my letters.

Just got the confirmation this morning. I was given my first choice of the dates I submitted.

Do programs just bolus all their interviews at once then trickle in a couple later as people cancel?

Or do any send in waves? Trying to see if I should just not count on hearing back from those checked off on the spreadsheet from whom I’ve heard neither an interview nor rejection.

Do programs just bolus all their interviews at once then trickle in a couple later as people cancel?

Or do any send in waves? Trying to see if I should just not count on hearing back from those checked off on the spreadsheet from whom I’ve heard neither an interview nor rejection.
Bolus.
Forget about getting interviews from those who already sent unless you have a great contact.
what is dead may never die

Bolus.
Forget about getting interviews from those who already sent unless you have a great contact.
what is dead may never die
I disagree. I have received invites from places that had sent them out a week prior, and there were still plenty of available interview spots. It is program dependent as to whether they bolus them or do waves.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I keep hearing mixed things and the results of last years thread/spreadsheet seemed equally as mixed lol

I'd expect a slow trickle from those who've already released. Also received interviews at bigger NIH programs after the initial bolus.

I may have spoken too soon. Just got an interview invite from one of the very limbo programs I was describing.

Anyone else get an interview at UPMC for CCM? My interview date is super late and it was the only one available. Wondering when your interview dates are. Regardless, I'm excited! Heard it was a great program.

When's the best time to have staff reach out to your top programs on your behalf? As soon as apps go live, after a few weeks of review, after a wave of invites pass you by?

When's the best time to have staff reach out to your top programs on your behalf? As soon as apps go live, after a few weeks of review, after a wave of invites pass you by?
I had them reach out as soon as the application was out, even couple of days before (as people were more keen on answering their phones then).Didi it work I can’t really say, but did get a few invites from places I might have been overlooked at because of my visa status

Well the ideal time is before interview invites are sent out. Once I fill all of my interview spots, someone has to be really good for me to want to expand an interview day (add a slot and lengthen the day). And someone that good would have likely gotten a spot anyways. I might move this person up the waitlist for spots but... you don't want to be angling for waitlist spots; you want to be scheduled.

If someone brings an applicant to my attention before I make the interview list, even if they're marginal it makes it more likely that they'll get bumped up to the invite list.

Well the ideal time is before interview invites are sent out. Once I fill all of my interview spots, someone has to be really good for me to want to expand an interview day (add a slot and lengthen the day). And someone that good would have likely gotten a spot anyways. I might move this person up the waitlist for spots but... you don't want to be angling for waitlist spots; you want to be scheduled.

If someone brings an applicant to my attention before I make the interview list, even if they're marginal it makes it more likely that they'll get bumped up to the invite list.
Hello APD Bob,
if an applicant didn’t get invited for an interview after 2 waves of invitations, is it okay to conclude that’s an automatic rejection even if you didn’t receive an official rejection email from the program? Thanks

Hello APD Bob,
if an applicant didn’t get invited for an interview after 2 waves of invitations, is it okay to conclude that’s an automatic rejection even if you didn’t receive an official rejection email from the program? Thanks

Not all programs send out rejection emails. Some just... vanish into the mists of time.
Others (like us) will send out an email late in the season when we've done all the interviewing we plan to do.

Hello guys,
I'm interviewing at Albert Einstein (PCCM) in Philadelphia on 9/29, but I just realized I have a doctor's appointment that day that I cant reschedule.
Would anyone be able to switch with me to 9/14 or 9/15?
I'd be very grateful.
Thanks all!

Anyone else being hit hard with rejections in the last couple days? Ive gotten 5 over the last 2 days

Anyone else being hit hard with rejections in the last couple days? Ive gotten 5 over the last 2 days
Just came here to say the same thing. So many rejections! Hopefully we will get some invites to balance out all the bad news.

At this point, I have 2 interviews. Is now considered late in the game? Its already end of August.