Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship 2021/2022 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So does this mean EM applicants are going to be lumped in together with IM now? I read on an ACEP forum somewhere that Pitt was going to have a separate match for EM and separate for IM but I didn’t fully understand how that would be possible. Do you think it will have a significant impact on how many EM applicants get into CCM? It certainly seems like EM has more to lose with CCM joining the match than IM does wit the much larger number of IM applicants.
I think programs like Pitt (those that have a long history of training EM intensivists and an interest in doing so) will likely devise a similar scheme to make sure they match EM trainees. I personally am prioritizing those particular programs, and will therefore not sweat it too much. I've met too many PDs/APDs that are EM-trained who are heavily invested in training us to think they would go without EM fellows. I already have a few interviews at those particular programs too, which helps dissuade this palpable SDN anxiety.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As with everything in medicine... it depends.
A program could try and fill all of their interview spots in one wave, then seek more if they don't fill all their interview spots. Or they might send out more if they're going through interviews and not finding people they mesh well with. Or it might be staggered; sending out the invites to the people they want to give the best dates to and then send a subsequent wave.

Lots of ways to skin this cat. However with the match process, there's less incentive to have a lot of little smaller waves of tiered applicants, and instead just simplify things with a single wave.

It does make it weird for EM applicants. A program has the option of not putting all of their spots into the ABIM match and a place like Pitt could get away with doing that; only send the IM applicants through the match and have all the EM applicants compete for a smaller number of out-of-match positions. Less well known places would have a harder time making that work out in their favor.

It makes things very interesting for programs. For example... last year we had 6 spots and I wanted to have a mix of IM and EM fellows so that played a factor as I was sending out pre-match offers (since CCM wasn't in the match last year). This year I have the same 6 spots, would like a mix of IM and EM again, but I have no idea how or to where we're going to fall on our match list. So I could potentially end up with all IM or all EM and have no way to build my rank list to ensure that I get some of each. The IM people may also be ranking PCCM programs but EM people aren't so in a way the IM people have a greater chance of matching somewhere else. All things being equal if my list alternates between IM and EM people, I'm more likely to get a class of all EM people. If I try to weight it and have more IM people toward the top I could weight it wrong and never fall to an EM person that I might have really wanted. The match process is a lot more ulcer-inducing for me than the outside-the-match process was.
Well this is mildly terrifying to read. Sigh.
Not sure what was deficient about my app. No red flags. Good board scores. Strong LORs. First-author papers in high-impact journals, among other posters at ATS...not sure what else I could have possibly done during residency to be "competitive".

Well this is mildly terrifying to read. Sigh.
Not sure what was deficient about my app. No red flags. Good board scores. Strong LORs. First-author papers in high-impact journals, among other posters at ATS...not sure what else I could have possibly done during residency to be "competitive".
have your received any invites? thats what stresses me out as well being a DO with avg board scores but with 10+ publications and strong LORs. not sure what your credentials are.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many interviews are people planning on attending? The NRMP Charting the Outcomes report was based on 2018 data, and I wonder how it changed with virtual interviews/COVID. It is a lot easier to attend more interviews now.

As with everything in medicine... it depends.
A program could try and fill all of their interview spots in one wave, then seek more if they don't fill all their interview spots. Or they might send out more if they're going through interviews and not finding people they mesh well with. Or it might be staggered; sending out the invites to the people they want to give the best dates to and then send a subsequent wave.

Lots of ways to skin this cat. However with the match process, there's less incentive to have a lot of little smaller waves of tiered applicants, and instead just simplify things with a single wave.

It does make it weird for EM applicants. A program has the option of not putting all of their spots into the ABIM match and a place like Pitt could get away with doing that; only send the IM applicants through the match and have all the EM applicants compete for a smaller number of out-of-match positions. Less well known places would have a harder time making that work out in their favor.

It makes things very interesting for programs. For example... last year we had 6 spots and I wanted to have a mix of IM and EM fellows so that played a factor as I was sending out pre-match offers (since CCM wasn't in the match last year). This year I have the same 6 spots, would like a mix of IM and EM again, but I have no idea how or to where we're going to fall on our match list. So I could potentially end up with all IM or all EM and have no way to build my rank list to ensure that I get some of each. The IM people may also be ranking PCCM programs but EM people aren't so in a way the IM people have a greater chance of matching somewhere else. All things being equal if my list alternates between IM and EM people, I'm more likely to get a class of all EM people. If I try to weight it and have more IM people toward the top I could weight it wrong and never fall to an EM person that I might have really wanted. The match process is a lot more ulcer-inducing for me than the outside-the-match process was.
Dr. Bob. Do you know why Florida programs have not sent out invites yet ? Thank you

did you confirmation of the final dates. Their process was very extensive. we could choose who we want to interview with.
Haven’t confirmed final date yet. Filled out that long qualtrics form, just waiting to hear back now

It's been absolute silence since Friday... my anxiety is through the roof right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
appears to be a lot of invites sent out today based on the check boxes but without filling out the date of interview. could the integrity of the spreadsheet be compromised?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
M
appears to be a lot of invites sent out today based on the check boxes but without filling out the date of interview. could the integrity of the spreadsheet be compromised?
i think the data there is meaningless and has been since day 1

Did anyone in this forum hear from the places on the sheet??

When are you going to send letter of interest to the programs you like the most ?

Why do you say that?
The anonymity removes accountability. Data gets added/deleted without explanation, things get posted in the wrong sections, people don’t understand how to use it, doesn’t line up with last years’ data, doesn’t line up with anecdotal evidence from this year, people like messing with other people for fun. I’m not saying that it’s completely wrong. The (very limited) data I have lines up with what’s on the sheet. What I’m saying is there are reasons to doubt some of what’s on there. Think of it as more rumor than solid fact.

Why do you say that?
This is my second time applying and I’ve been monitoring this thread for 4-5 years since I was an intern. There is always, always a period at the beginning where everybody gets worried about not having interviews and it seems like everyone else has them. Things balance out after a while.

The anonymity removes accountability. Data gets added/deleted without explanation, things get posted in the wrong sections, people don’t understand how to use it, doesn’t line up with last years’ data, doesn’t line up with anecdotal evidence from this year, people like messing with other people for fun. I’m not saying that it’s completely wrong. The (very limited) data I have lines up with what’s on the sheet. What I’m saying is there are reasons to doubt some of what’s on there. Think of it as more rumor than solid fact.
Yup. I know for a 100% fact my home program has not sent out invites yet, and yet it is listed as having sent out invites. The spreadsheet is full of errors,

...or maybe we should use this format?

AMG-MD

AMG-DO

IMG-US (does NOT need Visa)

IMG-International (needs Visa)

Rejections

Reactions: 2 users
When are you going to send letter of interest to the programs you like the most ?
Great question, also do you send it to program coordinator and/or PD and/or aPD?

Bleh. I get so many of these letters/emails. These are (nearly) meaningless. I have no way of knowing if you're sending it just to me or to every single program on your list. Instead, if there's a place you're really interested in, print out their faculty list from their website, then take it around to all of your attendings and see if they recognize any names from the list. If so, have them call the person they know on your behalf and ask them to bend the ear of the PD.

Oh but it's so much better than having to wade through a long thread of repeatedly cut-and-pasted lists to try and find the questions buried amongst them. Yea, it's somewhat spurious data, and really not useful for much other than as a curiosity... but it's nice having it somewhere set out of the way but where you can find it if you want it.

How much Steps attempts affect PCCM application?

>1 attempt per step = not good

For the folks that are knowledgeable on this matter, could you give a list of programs by tier (3 tiers)? Non comprehensive... most interested between distinguishing between high and mid-tiers! So i can focus on the mid tiers with my attendings to start making some calls please

Safe to say the spreadsheet has lost all credibility. Thanks to whoever ruined it 🙄
For me at least, the spreadsheet has been very accurate. Rejected from Yale the date others checked the box, Received interviews the dates others checked the box for the noted program. If there are errors, there are NONE related to my results so far. It has been very accurate for the places I applied.

For the folks that are knowledgeable on this matter, could you give a list of programs by tier (3 tiers)? Non comprehensive... most interested between distinguishing between high and mid-tiers! So i can focus on the mid tiers with my attendings to start making some calls please

How do you define the tiers? There is no ranking of programs (never has been, never will be) because the criteria that's important to you may be irrelevant to someone else. And things like "malignancy", "amount of scut work", "autonomy", are unquantifiable in a meaningful way. Something like "amount of pathology" could be vaguely quantified by looking at average APACHE score, but doesn't necessarily tell you if it's a wide type or if the place is a urosepsis center of excellence. Plus that data isn't readily available. The things that are quantifiable don't always translate into "good training". Number of research publications, value of NIH grants, book chapters written by attendings, etc... those things may speak to the academic chops a place has, but still doesn't tell you if it's a good training place or not. Percentage of graduates that pass the boards is the one useful quantifiable point and a lot of programs don't release that data.

Ultimately if you wanted to rank how good a program is at training, you'd have to look at treatment outcomes of their graduates; mortality expected vs observed in different care categories... and even then that's very murky data as to whether it's really a reflection of how well someone was trained.

Every year, in every discipline, people ask for program rankings. And every year the answers are the same; a shrug, no consensus, people listing their favorite places or recognizable names, and finally an exhortation to come up with your own list based on what's important to you.

For me at least, the spreadsheet has been very accurate. Rejected from Yale the date others checked the box, Received interviews the dates others checked the box for the noted program. If there are errors, there are NONE related to my results so far. It has been very accurate for the places I applied.

I think it had been accurate up until this week. I think those dates form 8/11 is someone thinking it would be fun to make up some interview dates.

I'm little bit depressed for not receiving any interviews yet. My credentials are 235 step1, 234 step2, 213 step3, and CS all first attempt, University affiliated program, IMG needs Visa, research fellow for 8 months in big university before IM residency, finished 3 years pulmonary residency at home country, 11 peer-reviewed publications, 5 posters in ATS and SCCM, 10+ Oral presentations. What are my chances??

Last edited:
I'm little bit depressed for not receiving any interviews yet. My credentials are 235 step1, 234 step2, CS all first attempt, University affiliated program, IMG needs Visa, research fellow for 8 months in big university before IM residency, finished 3 years pulmonary residency at home country, 11 peer-reviewed publications, 5 posters in ATS and SCCM, 10+ Oral presentations. What are my chances??
Same boat as you are,img requiring visa, my steps are 25x, 27x,26x, all first attempts,15 posters, 8 publications, univ affiliate program. Chief resident,
And zilch ivs. I wasn’t a research fellow, but have prior training as well.

Same boat as you are,img requiring visa, my steps are 25x, 27x,26x, all first attempts,15 posters, 8 publications, univ affiliate program. Chief resident,
And zilch ivs. I wasn’t a research fellow, but have prior training as well.
This is very frustrating. Also just received a rejection from Allegheny Hlth Network Pgm.

This is very frustrating. Also just received a rejection from Allegheny Hlth Network Pgm.
It certainly is, the fact that other than my visa, I don’t know what else can i change, my LORs are really good, as well

If there is no whatsapp group yet for this year's match, I can start one. DM me if you are interested
=============
# 16 people joined so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'm little bit depressed for not receiving any interviews yet. My credentials are 235 step1, 234 step2, CS all first attempt, University affiliated program, IMG needs Visa, research fellow for 8 months in big university before IM residency, finished 3 years pulmonary residency at home country, 11 peer-reviewed publications, 5 posters in ATS and SCCM, 10+ Oral presentations. What are my chances??
do you have step 3 done?

It means somebody is filling out the spreadsheet wrong. It is supposed to mean that a program is full or not recruiting.
I remember last year one program literally sent out a "Sorry, we filled internally, no you don't get your app money back lol" 1-2 weeks after apps were sent out. Could be a thing.