Purdue c/o 2015 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wondering. Those of u who got accepted what immunizations are required by purdue??

Still waiting to hear back, I sent my offer acceptance in a while ago via online and snail mail. All I've gotten back so far is a postcard type thing saying "welcome to the family" (not even a confirmation email!) They might be waiting until April 15th to make sure that its the more definite student body. I'm assuming that its the typical Rabies, meningitis, Hep B, Chicken Pox, rubella, etc.

Hey everyone!

I've been reading the forums on SDN for awhile now but just joined officially. I officially accepted my offer today and will be part of Purdue's c/o 2015! I was wondering if anyone knew what areas were best to look for housing at Purdue? I'm really excited to meet all of you soon :)

Yay!! Welcome!!
I'll Probably want to share a house with other first year and older vet students. Stay away from Campus housing, all I've heard is its like an undergraduate atmosphere with parties and loud kids. I'm not from the area, but i walked about a bit on that cold, cold day. lol There were plenty of houses and apartments down Harrison St., Sheetz, S. Grant, Pierce, and Chauncey Ave that I guess are for student rent. I'm assuming we will get an email with a housing forum specifically with us vet students soon. Just waiting to hear back from them!

Anyone who lives in the area have any recommendations?? I would like to hear some feedback as well :)

Members don't see this ad.

As far as housing goes, I lived in Wyndham Trace, a little tucked away apartment and townhouse community off of 52W just past College Station. For an enormous, 3 bedroom, 2 story townhouse our rent was $333/person. On campus you'll pay double that for a dinky, smelly two bedroom apartment with tacky 70s faux wood paneling decor. It generally took me 7 minutes to get to campus and find a spot to park at Ross stadium.

Anyone who is interested should contact June Palms leasing to see if they have anything open.

I'll Probably want to share a house with other first year and older vet students. Stay away from Campus housing, all I've heard is its like an undergraduate atmosphere with parties and loud kids. I'm not from the area, but i walked about a bit on that cold, cold day. lol There were plenty of houses and apartments down Harrison St., Sheetz, S. Grant, Pierce, and Chauncey Ave that I guess are for student rent. I'm assuming we will get an email with a housing forum specifically with us vet students soon. Just waiting to hear back from them!

Anyone who lives in the area have any recommendations?? I would like to hear some feedback as well :)

Just my 2 cents since I have done my undergrad & grad at Purdue. All of the areas that you listed are chock full o' undergrad goodness. Guaranteed that you will see, hear, and smell the parties and such. My suggestion is to look north of campus. I bought a house 1.3 miles from my lab (so it's about 1.4 to the vet school), and it's a nice mix of students, faculty, and WL residents. Not much in terms of parties, very walkable/bikeable, and not too expensive. There are lots of rentals (New Chauncey neighborhood-streets like Meridian, Vine, N Salisbury, Connolly, W. Oak, Rose, Lincoln).

Another nota bene: There is a housing surplus, so you have leverage in terms of negotiating rent. Many of the houses around here rent for $700 or so. The apartment landlords will do their best to ream you. And be advised that there is no tenants union like many cities have, so the landlords get away with a lot.

I would look for something within walking/biking distance, parking on campus is terrible, permit or not.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
My two cents:
I live at the Lodge currently (www.thelodgelife.com).

Pros: Quiet apartment complex, right behind swampy nature park. Consequently, also right next to Walmart, which likes to build on nature parks...

Cheapish (435/month not including electricity per person 2 bedroom, includes cable, really crappy internet, but fully furnished, washer/dryer in unit, small but acceptable gym, pool, bball courts, etc etc.)

Right on the bike path, ~20 minute bike ride to campus. Or you can drive. Park in a C lot in the back and there's always parking, no worries (but it's a 5 minute walk from the parking lot to LILY).

Okay with your pooch (300 refundable deposit)

Cons: The internet... You can't do Netflix, barely run youtube, and sometimes takes ~5 minutes to check your stupid email. You can pay for it, but just when you're about to bite the bullet and get a Cox subscription, it kicks back on and you're okay again... Sneaky thing.

VERY drafty, buy plastic window wrap stuff.

Carpeted entirely besides kitchen and bathrooms. Owning a dog + gajillions of carpet = renting a carpet shampoo-machine at the end of my lease :(

Good luck searching! If I could do it again, I would live within walking distance. When you don't feel like biking, driving back and forth and back and forth can be a pain.

I am declining my OOS Purdue seat today. Hope a waitlister can use it! :)

Thank you CatVet and congrats to you! I think they must wait to offer more positions to waitlisters until April. It looks like the earliest anyone said they got a call on last years thread was beginning of April. It sounds like several people have declined and I haven't seen any posts about people getting calls yet. Of course I am still hopeful it could move sooner than later:xf:

Just my 2 cents since I have done my undergrad & grad at Purdue. All of the areas that you listed are chock full o' undergrad goodness. Guaranteed that you will see, hear, and smell the parties and such. My suggestion is to look north of campus. I bought a house 1.3 miles from my lab (so it's about 1.4 to the vet school), and it's a nice mix of students, faculty, and WL residents. Not much in terms of parties, very walkable/bikeable, and not too expensive. There are lots of rentals (New Chauncey neighborhood-streets like Meridian, Vine, N Salisbury, Connolly, W. Oak, Rose, Lincoln).

Another nota bene: There is a housing surplus, so you have leverage in terms of negotiating rent. Many of the houses around here rent for $700 or so. The apartment landlords will do their best to ream you. And be advised that there is no tenants union like many cities have, so the landlords get away with a lot.

I would look for something within walking/biking distance, parking on campus is terrible, permit or not.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

This is exactly what I am looking for!! I am very much a walker, I hate having to constantly commute a 5 min drive if I lived on the other side of the river or any more north. Thanks for the advice on those streets I had listed. I was looking more for a house to share with other students, so the surplus is good news. I've always lived on campus so private renting is new to me so any guidance is great! :rolleyes:

JollyBlueJay, thanks for sharing about your place, I am scared of getting places that are filthy, slow internet and drafty windows doesn't sound too bad. That apartment complex does look nice, individual bathrooms and a washer/dryer in unit is amazing!:)

*HUGS* :laugh:

Yes, notifications for alternates will start to go out AFTER Apr 15th. Keeping the fingers crossed for all of us - I would love to be at Purdue in the fall!

Declined my spot at Purdue today, GOOD LUCK ALTERNATES!!:D

Declined my spot at Purdue today, GOOD LUCK ALTERNATES!!:D

It's soooo hard not to get my hopes up. Every time I see one of these messages I do a little happy dance. Thanks for the well wishes arcturus. Good luck next year at your school!

Just sent off my note asking to be removed from the alternates list. Lord only knows where I was ranked and whether I was in a position worth mentioning this, but figured I should say something.

Good luck to everyone still waiting. I hope April is full of good news!

From experience of staying on campus and working and going to class pretty much from 8-6 everyday, I don't mind the drive off-campus (10 min.). It's pretty quiet and my roommate and I carpool and split a parking pass so that's not a big issue. We have pets so our townhouse has no pet charge! Places on campus can have a hefty pet deposit or allow no pets at all. I'm currently finishing up my undergrad and I was never a fan of neighbors blasting music at all hours of the night, including weekdays, and not much space. I like to breathe a bit, so if you want more room that is pretty reasonable (under $400/person) for a townhouse, you have to check further off campus.

Getting away from school is nice and relaxing, and my vet school neighbors feel the same way.

Hi! I'm OOS and accepted my admission to Purdue! Now I'm working on finding somewhere to live in IN from NC :eek:. Does anyone from around Purdue have any input on the Derbyshire Court duplexes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm OOS and accepted my admission to Purdue! Now I'm working on finding somewhere to live in IN from NC :eek:. Does anyone from around Purdue have any input on the Derbyshire Court duplexes?

To be honest, I haven't heard of anyone living there. I'll ask around if I know anyone looking for a roommate for next year. Do you prefer roommates? Pets?

I'm not looking for a roomate. I'm married and have 4 pets so we're having a difficult time finding places that accept 4 pets that isn't sketchy and that we can afford :) And since I'm OOS I can't just drive over and check places out so that makes it even more difficult.

What about Parkway Apartments? Is it full of undergrads? We don't really want to live at a party/loud place.

I'm not looking for a roomate. I'm married and have 4 pets so we're having a difficult time finding places that accept 4 pets that isn't sketchy and that we can afford :) And since I'm OOS I can't just drive over and check places out so that makes it even more difficult.

What about Parkway Apartments? Is it full of undergrads? We don't really want to live at a party/loud place.

The Parkway Apartments are, IMO, kinda ghetto. Not undergrads, but locals of the same age group. I would advise against Parkway.

Derbyshire Court...delivered pizza as an undergrad, and I would describe these as "hillbilly".

Don't know if this helps.

Hey everyone, so i was wondering about immunizations and laptops. They seem to be common topics in the other schools but i haven't heard anything about purdue. Do they require a specific laptop? and a physical exam? I was looking all over the website but i couldnt find anything on these topics.

You can try looking at boilerapartments.com

They might have some ideas for you to look into, or try http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/ and maybe there are some houses in the area.

You can try looking at boilerapartments.com

They might have some ideas for you to look into, or try http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/ and maybe there are some houses in the area.

Thanks for the listings. Will there be a forum/will we hear anything from other vet students via email about other possible housing opportunities? I'm am probably going to call up admissions soon to ask them about it :confused: I am like ANSchick08 and trying to get an apartment from OOS is kinda daunting.

Moxylove: I am also curious about that, I'm on a waitlist at another school, and I've already received financial aid information as well as immunization requirements from them. I'm *assuming* that we will hear after april 15th once they get a final decision from everyone. But this is purely my speculation and is not based on any fact what-so-ever. Again, I'm probably going to ask them about this when I call about housing.

Ok, more housing searches later: I went onto the Purdue Vet website and found this Available Housing Form that you can input your info and they will add you to the PVM Available Housing List (that link is in the left column). But the link to that is here: http://www.vet.purdue.edu/admissions/housing.html

What I'm looking for if anyone else here is interested in joining me: :D
-Clean and quiet house/apartment away from noisy undergrads
-Walking Distance to Lynn Hall, (up to 1.5 mi), South or North of State St.
-No smokers Plz :)
-Pets welcome, I would like to adopt a kitty eventually :love:
-Private Bedrooms, shared bathroom is ok, preferably not 4ppl to 1 bathroom though :p
-I am clean and I like to cook, I'm not really an A-type person unless it comes to kitchen cleanliness (I usually end up doing dishes and I don't mind if we all take turns doing them, dishwasher would be *awesome!*)
-I would like to have at least 1 or 2 upper class vet students and maybe 1 other first year
-Other things I would like: High-speed internet, cable tv, off street parking, in-unit washer/dryer, Heat, AC or ceiling fans, etc.

I know I might be super early talking about housing, but being so far away, I will have to join up with people and have them search for an apartment, or make a trip out and spend a couple days viewing a ton of apartments in june/july.
PM me if you like what I like and would consider rooming together! :rolleyes:

hey everybody!, Im relatively new here but I got accepted to Purdue last fall as well and excited and cant wait! :thumbup: Only thing is to figure out how to go about looking for housing even though theres plenty of time.

I was wondering if anybody had any advice on some good value places to look at and any roommates interested. Currently I am in South Carolina where I live finishing up an online nutrition class

Got my OOS acceptance letter, but I'm torn between Purdue and Tenn. Any advice from anyone?

Got my OOS acceptance letter, but I'm torn between Purdue and Tenn. Any advice from anyone?

I don't know what Tenn is like, but I loved purdue for a bunch of reasons. The small class size is definitely a big plus (~100). I went to a large undergrad university where lectures had 300+ students and it was fend-for-yourself learning. At Purdue, the students raved about how professors would help you if you were struggling in class. The program sounded excellent, with the tracking options that let students gain early experience in their desired field. The staff all seemed friendly, students were supportive and I got a bunch of that "family feel" which is so nice. Before our interview day, I was nervous because of a snow storm that came through. I called up admissions at 8:30pm the night before to see if they left a message for us on their answering machines, and someone actually picked up the phone! :eek:

Financially, it was no different from other schools except for Oklahoma State. Then, when talking to other people they say that in job searching, your experiences and education serve you well for the first 5 years, then it is the name of the college that will help you, Purdue just has a great reputation to back your degree (nothing wrong with OKS though! :laugh:)

the selfish waitlister in me says go to Tenn so i can have your spot :p

but the reason why i loved purdue and am willing to wait the waitlist is cause of the super close nit family feeling i got there and all the other things that SJB stated. But also i really like the curriculum where it has both traditional lecture classes and the problem based learning incorporated, which is nice hyrbid, since i hate lecture but 100% PBL would be a shock to my system. Plus there tracking systems seems very flexible so you can pursue a lot of options. Plus I thought the whole purdue campus and city is charming since i am sucker for college towns.

I don't know what Tenn is like, but I loved purdue for a bunch of reasons. The small class size is definitely a big plus (~100). I went to a large undergrad university where lectures had 300+ students and it was fend-for-yourself learning. At Purdue, the students raved about how professors would help you if you were struggling in class. The program sounded excellent, with the tracking options that let students gain early experience in their desired field. The staff all seemed friendly, students were supportive and I got a bunch of that "family feel" which is so nice. Before our interview day, I was nervous because of a snow storm that came through. I called up admissions at 8:30pm the night before to see if they left a message for us on their answering machines, and someone actually picked up the phone! :eek:

Financially, it was no different from other schools except for Oklahoma State. Then, when talking to other people they say that in job searching, your experiences and education serve you well for the first 5 years, then it is the name of the college that will help you, Purdue just has a great reputation to back your degree (nothing wrong with OKS though! :laugh:)

Thanks for your opinions. I just really wish I had time to go back and visit the campus again. Remembering it from back in January is really kind of hard. haha

the selfish waitlister in me says go to Tenn so i can have your spot :p

but the reason why i loved purdue and am willing to wait the waitlist is cause of the super close nit family feeling i got there and all the other things that SJB stated. But also i really like the curriculum where it has both traditional lecture classes and the problem based learning incorporated, which is nice hyrbid, since i hate lecture but 100% PBL would be a shock to my system. Plus there tracking systems seems very flexible so you can pursue a lot of options. Plus I thought the whole purdue campus and city is charming since i am sucker for college towns.

Well hopefully if I chose not to go that will open up your spot! Don't worry though, I'm not going to sit on it until the last possible day. lol

I just got back from taking my first look around the area for housing. There are soooo many options! I have a few places I really like but I wanted to put it out there that I am looking for a roommate.

Most of the places I liked have 2 bed/2 bath and are pet friendly for at least cats and some of them allow dogs. They are either in the West Lafayette area about 5 minutes away or the Lafayette area about 7 to 10 minutes away. All have their own washer/dryer and places to park off the street (a few have garages).

If anyone is interested in talking to me about possibly rooming together just PM me. I'm pretty clean, easy going, and I don't smoke. I don't have any pets currently but I may adopt a cat eventually. I'm looking for a quiet place to live and a roommate that is a vet student of any year. :)

do you know what purdue/purdue students do as far as health insurance?

Just received my fin aid packet in the mail! Boo for an incredible amount of debt, and Woo for a few scholarships!

Gsi924, as for health insurance, if you are under 24 (or 26?) years of age, you can probably still be covered by your parent's insurance because you are a full time student and/or dependent. Or, the school should provide a health plan for a bit of money.

Just received my fin aid packet in the mail! Boo for an incredible amount of debt, and Woo for a few scholarships!

Gsi924, as for health insurance, if you are under 24 (or 26?) years of age, you can probably still be covered by your parent's insurance because you are a full time student and/or dependent. Or, the school should provide a health plan for a bit of money.

It's 25 and under, now. :D I went back on my mother's insurance ASAP for one more year when that went through.

*returns to waitlist lurker status*

Thanks SJB and Whyevernot, and i too will be a lurking waitlister now:cool:

How bad or good is the commute from apartments to the vet school? Should I not look for places that are more than 4 miles away if I don't want to have to get up super early to avoid traffic and whatnot?

So after receiving my financial aid/tuition packet and much review and consideration, I will be declining my OOS seat. The OOS tuition is just too much, despite falling in love with the school. If money wasn't a factor, my decision would be different. But I have a cheaper alternative, which is also a wonderful school, so I am happy with my decision. I hope this makes an OOS waitlister happy :).

So after receiving my financial aid/tuition packet and much review and consideration, I will be declining my OOS seat. The OOS tuition is just too much, despite falling in love with the school. If money wasn't a factor, my decision would be different. But I have a cheaper alternative, which is also a wonderful school, so I am happy with my decision. I hope this makes an OOS waitlister happy :).

Yaaaaaaaay! :love: I mean.... ;) Glad you're happy with your decision, and hoping for a waitlist call soon!

How bad or good is the commute from apartments to the vet school? Should I not look for places that are more than 4 miles away if I don't want to have to get up super early to avoid traffic and whatnot?

I lived about 7 miles away last year and took me about 10 min. on average to get to school. It's nice since we'll have early classes and most people don't drive in around till 8 (are classes start at 7:30) so its easy to find parking. Sometimes after 5 when people leave for work, then traffic picks up, but generally it's not that bad at all. This is commuting from West Lafayette, so from Lafayette (depending on where you live) the side streets can get a little full.

just wondering they start calling people off the waitlist after april 15th, right?? my phone got stolen and i wont have one till tuesday and really if they call me i dont want to miss the call :/ do u think i should email them with an alternate phone number??

just wondering they start calling people off the waitlist after april 15th, right?? my phone got stolen and i wont have one till tuesday and really if they call me i dont want to miss the call :/ do u think i should email them with an alternate phone number??

i called the admissions office like two weeks ago asking about the alternates list and they made it pretty clear that they will not do anything until after the 15th, which goes along with when people got off the alternates list last year

being optimistic it could potentially be this sat, eek...

The apartments I have stayed in last summer on the Wabash was not too far from the vet school and I took bus to lynn hall every morning which only took about 5 minutes to get there. Im not sure about other apartment areas though. Im still doing research on some places to stay.

I'm an OOS waitlister too and I've been so good about trying to keep Purdue off my mind till at least April 15th but I do not know how I will handle waiting even one SECOND after april 15th. So so nervous and excited about it. Good luck to everyone!

Im going to be the same way. I really loved purdue but lets see what happens. The good thing is i get my phone tomorrow. In time to have by me 24/7 hoping for a call :/

I was really trying not to get my hopes up at all but I couldn't help it! I'm desperately hopeful. Absolutely loved the school. And I know your in the same boat as me chatter. Seems like so many declined their seats but it also looks like the wait list is long.

I just sent in my letter declining my acceptance offer. Hope someone benefits from that! GOOD LUCK!

All the time someone post about a declining spot, i get more hopeful. Its good and bad cuz then im gonna be expecting a call which i may or may not receive. Now im getting anxious. Sucks monkeys balls. I wish it was next already.

well, chatter07 and gsi924.....you are both cool people and Purdue would be lucky to have you. As much as I would like to have you as classmates I can tell how much you both want to go to purdue. I am pulling for you guys. Good luck in the days to come......

well, chatter07 and gsi924.....you are both cool people and Purdue would be lucky to have you. As much as I would like to have you as classmates I can tell how much you both want to go to purdue. I am pulling for you guys. Good luck in the days to come......

Thank u savethewhales. But u never know we still may be classmates :)

Thank u savethewhales. But u never know we still may be classmates :)

:) Well I'm just saying I can tell that you guys are anxiously waiting to hear back and I truly do have my fingers crossed for you both. It's great that you have a back up but I hope you get the news you want next week!

you're too kind, your going to make this decision even harder cause you're pretty dang cool your self and would be an awesome classmate and friend, but like what chatter said we still could be classmates! or just reapply to purdue :p

Is there a 2015 fb group? Someone should get on that...

just realized that after tomorrow we may start recieving calls. Let hope and see what happens :)