Purdue c/o 2025 Applicants

Started by arialexis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hi everyone!! I was so nervous when I got the call that I can’t even remember when the official acceptance letters are gonna be emailed, does anyone know?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sure hope they hire 30% more people to deal with that then....... :whistle:
I might've said the same thing to Dr. W a year ago... :dead:

It could have actually been a statement saying there was an expected need for 30% more staff members (so supposedly there are plans to hire more but we'll see)
 
I might've said the same thing to Dr. W a year ago... :dead:

It could have actually been a statement saying there was an expected need for 30% more staff members (so supposedly there are plans to hire more but we'll see)

I'll believe it when I see it (just a sassy 4th year ready to fly the coop lol)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I might've said the same thing to Dr. W a year ago... :dead:

It could have actually been a statement saying there was an expected need for 30% more staff members (so supposedly there are plans to hire more but we'll see)

I'll believe it when I see it (just a sassy 4th year ready to fly the coop lol)
Hmmmm...is there a staff shortage in VTH that's causing inconvenience? Like a supporting staff shortage, or lack of doctors?
 
Hmmmm...is there a staff shortage in VTH that's causing inconvenience? Like a supporting staff shortage, or lack of doctors?

Mainly support staff I would say but there has been quite a few faculty/staff that have left recently as well. I'm sure it's been hard because of COVID but yeah they definitely need more support staff..especially in the large animal hospital.
 
Mainly support staff I would say but there has been quite a few faculty/staff that have left recently as well. I'm sure it's been hard because of COVID but yeah they definitely need more support staff..especially in the large animal hospital.
Eeesh, tech shortage makes everybody miserable!! But hey, does this mean we have a good chance of part-time employment at VTH?
 
Eeesh, tech shortage makes everybody miserable!! But hey, does this mean we have a good chance of part-time employment at VTH?

I know they were hiring part time student workers in the hospital who were 1-3rd years I believe? I saw them a lot last summer but not much since due to business of classes, etc but I hope they keep that up. There are other opportunities as well in the clin path lab and radiology too possibly. Please feel free to message me if you have further questions!
 
If I had to chose a school I would chose Purdue, but if I had to choose the 2 states to live in, NY wins by a landslide. It's beautiful, ithica especially
Both seem lovely! But for me the pros/cons list right now is:

Cornell pros/Purdue cons:
- Ithaca is a small town in a rural area (I truly hate city life plus I want to go into rural, mostly production animal med and this gives more ambulatory farm med opportunities)
- seems like there is much more focus on/opportunity to learn about One Health/how we can contribute to sustainability and environmental health. My main disappointment looking at Purdue's curriculum is that there seems to be VERY little environmental health emphasis 🙁
- lots of parasitology research and electives ("distribution courses")
- more interesting electives in general, especially 1st and 2nd year
- more student orgs that really appeal to me - I'm very interested in community service, production animal, parasitology, wildlife/exotic (not going into wildlife/zoo med but I love wildlife and esp herps 😍), welfare, and sustainability (Southside community clinic, guiding eyes for the Blind, pet loss support hotline, AABP, AASRP, AAVP, zoo and wildlife society, animal behaviour club, society for veterinary pain management, nutritional opportunities in veterinary medicine, One Health, and sustainability club at Cornell vs food animal club, exotic club, pets for people, and One Health club at Purdue)
- closer to family (not a lot, but a 15 hour drive from Cornell is feasible while I don't see myself driving 25 hours so I'd have to fly from Purdue)
- Cornell has really incredible facilities/resources/programs and opportunities to get involved in them as a student e.g. teaching dairy barn is huge, beautiful, aimed at not just vet student education but public education as well, VERY close to rest of campus, hires many vet students for animal care with flexible hours
- soooo much research going on at Cornell, both internal to the vet school and collaborative between the vet school and other faculties
- the rest of Cornell campus is beautiful and of course there is so much amazing research going on in other faculties. I really want to see the botanical gardens and arboretum and visiting the lab of ornithology would be a dream come true.
- small + large animal hospital, small animal community practice, teaching dairy barn, vet classrooms, and the non-vet campus all right next to each other, and the equine park very close-by

Purdue pros/Cornell cons
- 70 000 DOLL HAIRS IS NOT CHUMP CHANGE
- I've had a lot more opportunity to learn about Cornell from the info sessions so I don't know much about Purdue's resources, opportunities, and new facilities
 
Both seem lovely! But for me the pros/cons list right now is:

Cornell pros/Purdue cons:
- Ithaca is a small town in a rural area (I truly hate city life plus I want to go into rural, mostly production animal med and this gives more ambulatory farm med opportunities)
- seems like there is much more focus on/opportunity to learn about One Health/how we can contribute to sustainability and environmental health. My main disappointment looking at Purdue's curriculum is that there seems to be VERY little environmental health emphasis 🙁
- lots of parasitology research and electives ("distribution courses")
- more interesting electives in general, especially 1st and 2nd year
- more student orgs that really appeal to me - I'm very interested in community service, production animal, parasitology, wildlife/exotic (not going into wildlife/zoo med but I love wildlife and esp herps 😍), welfare, and sustainability (Southside community clinic, guiding eyes for the Blind, pet loss support hotline, AABP, AASRP, AAVP, zoo and wildlife society, animal behaviour club, society for veterinary pain management, nutritional opportunities in veterinary medicine, One Health, and sustainability club at Cornell vs food animal club, exotic club, pets for people, and One Health club at Purdue)
- closer to family (not a lot, but a 15 hour drive from Cornell is feasible while I don't see myself driving 25 hours so I'd have to fly from Purdue)
- Cornell has really incredible facilities/resources/programs and opportunities to get involved in them as a student e.g. teaching dairy barn is huge, beautiful, aimed at not just vet student education but public education as well, VERY close to rest of campus, hires many vet students for animal care with flexible hours
- soooo much research going on at Cornell, both internal to the vet school and collaborative between the vet school and other faculties
- the rest of Cornell campus is beautiful and of course there is so much amazing research going on in other faculties. I really want to see the botanical gardens and arboretum and visiting the lab of ornithology would be a dream come true.
- small + large animal hospital, small animal community practice, teaching dairy barn, vet classrooms, and the non-vet campus all right next to each other, and the equine park very close-by

Purdue pros/Cornell cons
- 70 000 DOLL HAIRS IS NOT CHUMP CHANGE
- I've had a lot more opportunity to learn about Cornell from the info sessions so I don't know much about Purdue's resources, opportunities, and new facilities
i got rejected from purdue but accepted to cornell, so first- congrats on getting into both!!!! second, visiting the cornell lab of ornithology has also been a dream of mine since i was in middle school and i got to see it in person last month when i drove around ithaca. youre going to love it!!!!!!!!!!!! whichever school you choose though, youll no doubt get a great education, so i would definitely think long and hard about that $70,000 price difference. congrats!!!!
 
i got rejected from purdue but accepted to cornell, so first- congrats on getting into both!!!! second, visiting the cornell lab of ornithology has also been a dream of mine since i was in middle school and i got to see it in person last month when i drove around ithaca. youre going to love it!!!!!!!!!!!! whichever school you choose though, youll no doubt get a great education, so i would definitely think long and hard about that $70,000 price difference. congrats!!!!
i thought the price difference between Cornell and Purdue was ~$47,000? Still huge but slightly less huge haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i got rejected from purdue but accepted to cornell, so first- congrats on getting into both!!!! second, visiting the cornell lab of ornithology has also been a dream of mine since i was in middle school and i got to see it in person last month when i drove around ithaca. youre going to love it!!!!!!!!!!!! whichever school you choose though, youll no doubt get a great education, so i would definitely think long and hard about that $70,000 price difference. congrats!!!!
Thank you! Congratulations to you, too, on the Cornell acceptance! It was very cool meeting you at the production animal info session last night 🙂. And wow, it's great that you got to have a look around Ithaca and see the ornithology lab already, so exciting!
 
Truly, each school is what you make of it. Personally, I'm the same as a majority of the other people you'll find here on the boards--I am a huge proponent of going where it's cheapest because truly...it's veterinary school and (a short) four years of your life. You're there for a few years and you'll be surprised at how little time you have to search out more to do sometimes. It's nothing like undergrad imho.

I'm not here to change anyone's mind. I just wanted say that you can get many of these experiences at Purdue as well. You do need to have an active role to get some of those experiences, but they do exist.

Sincerely, a third year who just had her managing veterinary debt business class yesterday :laugh:
 
Anyone else getting super anxious about not having an email yet with our acceptance info? All I wanna do is accept my spot and put my down payment down so everything is done!
I didn’t know a down payment was a thing, do you know how much it is?
 
Is there a Facebook group for accepted students yet? If there is, can someone post the link to it, or will we get a link in our acceptance email?
 
I didn’t know a down payment was a thing, do you know how much it is

Deposits

Resident - $400
Nonresident - $1000

Just to clarify, deposits are applied to your first year tuition, so it isn't an extra charge. It's just there to hold your seat 🙂

 
Last edited:
IS alternate. They said they will not disclose the place there. Really hoping it was just one list. Any IS alternates in the past get accepted, or was it more OOS? I feel like OOS rejects more often than IS
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad