-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Purdue c/o 2025 Applicants
Started by arialexis
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
In the past they've done them all over the course of three days
I forgot to tag you in the answer, usually they do them all over the course of 3 days, in no particular order of IS or OOSShould OOS still expect Fri?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any current vet students, should we expect calls after 5 or does he not call after business hours
CONGRATS!!! IS or OOS?So...Dr. Reed called me a couple times and left a message (I was sleeping after an overnight shift until I had to wake up for UofI interview). Called back and it's offer plus a pretty good scholarship!!!
Was it after five?So...Dr. Reed called me a couple times and left a message (I was sleeping after an overnight shift until I had to wake up for UofI interview). Called back and it's offer plus a pretty good scholarship!!!
LaineyLou
Full Member
So...Dr. Reed called me a couple times and left a message (I was sleeping after an overnight shift until I had to wake up for UofI interview). Called back and it's offer plus a pretty good scholarship!!!
Ughhh so jealous I’m gonna cry
OOSCONGRATS!!! IS or OOS?
It was noon-ish cstWas it after five?
Purdue just cancelled school for tomorrow due to weather so I don’t know what that means for phone calls
LaineyLou
Full Member
Purdue just cancelled school for tomorrow due to weather so I don’t know what that means for phone calls
I hope dean reed can make calls from home!!!!
poodlemadge
Purdue CVM c/o 2025
IS acceptance, I got the call around 5:15! Receiving a call from Dean Reed is a dream come true!!!
LaineyLou
Full Member
IS acceptance, I got the call around 5:15! Receiving a call from Dean Reed is a dream come true!!!
That is the dream! Still hoping for good news from him!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It sounds like only maybe 20 or so students heard today. Not a lot of activity on here or the Facebook page
Has anyone been called today? I'm not sure if they will be calling since we are on a snow day
Can any current student kindly provide some more insights into life and studying in Purdue? I was looking at the Factors When Picking a Vet School file and the comments for Purdue were not as comprehensive as some other schools...Here are my questions and fellow Purdue-hopefuls please feel free to chime in too!
- Are there any scheduled research opportunities (some vet schools have summer scholar or elective research courses type of arrangement), and if so, are there any financial assistance for such programs?
- Is it possible to be employed at the VTH as a vet student? I worked in SA GP/ER as a non certified tech for a few years, and it would be super cool if there're opportunities to earn some pocket money and work side by side with the faculty.
- One of the IM specialist I work with graduated from Purdue early 2000s. She told me the school doesn't encourage specialty training for their students (compared to other vet schools) back in her time. Will I have the faculty support and work/research opportunities if I'm determined to specialize after graduation?
- Can someone talk about exams and ranking system?
- Are there a lot of off-campus housing options that are large dog friendly? I'm definitely taking my two fur babies, neither is restricted breed but one of them is over 100lbs.
- Are there any off-leash dog parks around campus area? Do we enjoy discounts for pet food/preventatives/exams and procedures?
Thank you for any input!!
- Are there any scheduled research opportunities (some vet schools have summer scholar or elective research courses type of arrangement), and if so, are there any financial assistance for such programs?
- Is it possible to be employed at the VTH as a vet student? I worked in SA GP/ER as a non certified tech for a few years, and it would be super cool if there're opportunities to earn some pocket money and work side by side with the faculty.
- One of the IM specialist I work with graduated from Purdue early 2000s. She told me the school doesn't encourage specialty training for their students (compared to other vet schools) back in her time. Will I have the faculty support and work/research opportunities if I'm determined to specialize after graduation?
- Can someone talk about exams and ranking system?
- Are there a lot of off-campus housing options that are large dog friendly? I'm definitely taking my two fur babies, neither is restricted breed but one of them is over 100lbs.
- Are there any off-leash dog parks around campus area? Do we enjoy discounts for pet food/preventatives/exams and procedures?
Thank you for any input!!
alexrmeyer
Purdue CVM c/o 2025
I got an IS acceptance a little after 5 yesterday! So excited to spend the next four years with everyone 😁
We have a summer research program that pays vet students 5000 a summer. You have to take taxes out of that though. In addition Elanco is always at our career fair and they have a summer research program that they recruit vet students for that is paid. They have a student pathology tech position in our animal disease and diagnostic laboratory, which recruits two first year each summer. You can are allowed to veiw surgeries in the hospital during normal years if you have time, but with covid the hospital has restricted acess. We have canine eduators and they have a vet student care staff that does additional paid care ontop of normal student care.Can any current student kindly provide some more insights into life and studying in Purdue? I was looking at the Factors When Picking a Vet School file and the comments for Purdue were not as comprehensive as some other schools...Here are my questions and fellow Purdue-hopefuls please feel free to chime in too!
- Are there any scheduled research opportunities (some vet schools have summer scholar or elective research courses type of arrangement), and if so, are there any financial assistance for such programs?
- Is it possible to be employed at the VTH as a vet student? I worked in SA GP/ER as a non certified tech for a few years, and it would be super cool if there're opportunities to earn some pocket money and work side by side with the faculty.
- One of the IM specialist I work with graduated from Purdue early 2000s. She told me the school doesn't encourage specialty training for their students (compared to other vet schools) back in her time. Will I have the faculty support and work/research opportunities if I'm determined to specialize after graduation?
- Can someone talk about exams and ranking system?
- Are there a lot of off-campus housing options that are large dog friendly? I'm definitely taking my two fur babies, neither is restricted breed but one of them is over 100lbs.
- Are there any off-leash dog parks around campus area? Do we enjoy discounts for pet food/preventatives/exams and procedures?
Thank you for any input!!
As far as specializing, your first two years you can apply for the research program, or reach out to a professor and ask. In addition, you can opt to do a DVM/PhD or DVM/MS through purdue. Once accepted you have to contact the research offic and set it up if you decide to pursue this. The first two years you take core classes. Some extra electives are available during the first two year statrting second semester. In third year electives are required. In addition we have a great SAVMA chapter with numerous clubs for different specilaities. Here you get lots of exposure.
There is plenty of off campus housing and most vet students are actively looking for roomates. We get a discount in the hospital and different pet food companies have student reps that give us discounts on pet food and lots of free items. We have a ranking system, because its required for scholarships or residency applications, but it is private. You have to set up a meeting to learn your ranking have a reason of why you need to see it. Our school encourages team work and discourages competition. We have a class drive where we all collaborate on class work, study materials and assignments.
Last edited:
Purdue is currently working on calling
TerrifyingPurdue is currently working on calling
Congratulations! Still waiting on my callDean reed called me while I was in the shower!!!! Thank goodness I could call him back!!!! Accepted!!!!
LaineyLou
Full Member
Congratulations! Still waiting on my call
Sending good vibes your way!
LaineyLou
Full Member
I got an IS acceptance a little after 5 yesterday! So excited to spend the next four years with everyone [emoji16]
Congrats! Are you for sure accepting your position?
Just in case she doesn't see this, yes she plans to accept! (We're friends)Congrats! Are you for sure accepting your position?
alexrmeyer
Purdue CVM c/o 2025
I am!Congrats! Are you for sure accepting your position?
acleaves49
New Member
OOS acceptance 😄 Congrats to everyone who has heard back and good luck to those who haven’t yet!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LaineyLou
Full Member
Do we think he stops calling around 5?
I think probs around 6. Last night I think someone got called around 5:15
I'm terrified that I haven't heard yet. I'm hoping I'm waitlisted!
sameeeeeeI'm terrified that I haven't heard yet. I'm hoping I'm waitlisted!
A lot of my classmates got pulled from the wait-list! Don't give up hope!I'm terrified that I haven't heard yet. I'm hoping I'm waitlisted!
On top of what @Monarch223 said, students can be employed at the teaching hospital. There are other on campus jobs as well, and many student rep positions that you can apply for second semester to get stipends. I would say from my experience that Purdue has never encouraged me NOT to do something post-graduation. The clubs you join are a great opportunity to learn more about specializing post-grad. For example, the equine club had a zoom session with 3 graduates that went into 3 different residencies in the equine industry and had a Q & A that was super helpful.Can any current student kindly provide some more insights into life and studying in Purdue? I was looking at the Factors When Picking a Vet School file and the comments for Purdue were not as comprehensive as some other schools...Here are my questions and fellow Purdue-hopefuls please feel free to chime in too!
- Are there any scheduled research opportunities (some vet schools have summer scholar or elective research courses type of arrangement), and if so, are there any financial assistance for such programs?
- Is it possible to be employed at the VTH as a vet student? I worked in SA GP/ER as a non certified tech for a few years, and it would be super cool if there're opportunities to earn some pocket money and work side by side with the faculty.
- One of the IM specialist I work with graduated from Purdue early 2000s. She told me the school doesn't encourage specialty training for their students (compared to other vet schools) back in her time. Will I have the faculty support and work/research opportunities if I'm determined to specialize after graduation?
- Can someone talk about exams and ranking system?
- Are there a lot of off-campus housing options that are large dog friendly? I'm definitely taking my two fur babies, neither is restricted breed but one of them is over 100lbs.
- Are there any off-leash dog parks around campus area? Do we enjoy discounts for pet food/preventatives/exams and procedures?
Thank you for any input!!
Exams are taken on exam soft for the most part, with a few exceptions. We have tutors for almost every class as well. Honestly, there is an exam at least once a week, every week for about 12 weeks
I live in Lafayette a Overture flats and it is one of the few complexes that does not have restrictions on weight or breeds of dogs. It is about 10-15 minutes from the school depending on traffic. There is a dog park at this complex, but there is also a dog park at a park not even 5 minutes from campus called Happy Hollow. We get about 50% off VTH and purina, Hills, and royal canin (and probably more I just done utilize all of them).
Let us know if you have any more questions! Happy to answer them!
A lot of my classmates got pulled from the wait-list! Don't give up hope
Is there a separate waitlist for is and oos? I’m is and I feel like if I was oos waitlisted it would be a better chance?A lot of my classmates got pulled from the wait-list! Don't give up hope!
There is only one waitlist as far as I'm concerned. The class is probably 55/45 as far as IS/OOS. Purdue doesn't favor instate students nearly as much as other schoolsIs there a separate waitlist for is and oos? I’m is and I feel like if I was oos waitlisted it would be a better chance?
I thought they were like 42/42 for is and oosThere is only one waitlist as far as I'm concerned. The class is probably 55/45 as far as IS/OOS. Purdue doesn't favor instate students nearly as much as other schools
42/42 is the goal, as the class size is technically 84. However, Purdue tends to overaccept, which accounts for any differences in numbers.
My class is probably close to 50% OOS/50% IS but the class above me, for example, was more skewed towards OOS. It just depends on how the acceptances play out
My class is probably close to 50% OOS/50% IS but the class above me, for example, was more skewed towards OOS. It just depends on how the acceptances play out
Last edited:
Today is probably the last day of calls, but I don't expect them to start until noon or 1 again. Here's to seriously hoping they're still doing everything completely random and still calling IS students
Wait so how do they get from 55 IS to 42 IS? Also, is everyone from IS put on a waitlist (I heard they only interview like 60 of us).There is only one waitlist as far as I'm concerned. The class is probably 55/45 as far as IS/OOS. Purdue doesn't favor instate students nearly as much as other schools
I was interviewed last year and rejected. During my review, they said my interview was good so that wasn’t the main reason of rejection. I hope you get a call today!Wait so how do they get from 55 IS to 42 IS? Also, is everyone from IS put on a waitlist (I heard they only interview like 60 of us).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the info, have you been called?I was interviewed last year and rejected. During my review, they said my interview was good so that wasn’t the main reason of rejection. I hope you get a call today!
55% 45% it always depends on the people reentering your class as well. I think they admitted 84/85 and my class had 89 with people who were restarting from the previous yearWait so how do they get from 55 IS to 42 IS? Also, is everyone from IS put on a waitlist (I heard they only interview like 60 of us).
Do we receive a number if we are put on the waitlist55% 45% it always depends on the people reentering your class as well. I think they admitted 84/85 and my class had 89 with people who were restarting from the previous year
Usually it's around 150Does anyone know how many people are interviewed at Purdue?