Purdue c/o 2025 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we receive a number if we are put on the waitlist
I was not on the waitlist, but I do not believe so.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
55% 45% it always depends on the people reentering your class as well. I think they admitted 84/85 and my class had 89 with people who were restarting from the previous year
When you say "restarting" are these people who didn't pass the first year of vet school?

Members don't see this ad :)
No :( I didn’t feel strong with the prerecorded interview either so not feeling too confident. Still hoping for a call today though!
Well, I really hope we both get in and meet in person one day! It'd be a bonding experience haha

• Care
I was interviewed last year and rejected. During my review, they said my interview was good so that wasn’t the main reason of rejection. I hope you get a call today!
A follow up on this. I don't understand the system of "your interview was great but we're not giving you a seat because of grades or experience" because they know all of that before offering you an interview. If a great interview won't save you, why offer one?

A follow up on this. I don't understand the system of "your interview was great but we're not giving you a seat because of grades or experience" because they know all of that before offering you an interview. If a great interview won't save you, why offer one?
That’s what I was thinking when I read that

That’s what I was thinking when I read that
I'm wondering if they're looking in your interview for any additional experience or something. That's what happened with me. I was supposed to start research last spring (thanks COVID) but it got pushed back to this semester so the only way it made it onto my application was when I mentioned it in my interview.

When you say "restarting" are these people who didn't pass the first year of vet school?
So this actually differs. Most of the classes can be remediated, which is done over the summer and means you get to continue with your class. However, if you have to remediate too many classes, you may get bumped back to repeat that year. If you fail a remediation exam, you can get shifted back. There are also classes that can't be remediated, meaning that those would bump you back as well (VSAC, for example). Medical/family reasons also sometimes account for someone dropping out and coming back the next year. So, essentially there are a lot of circumstances that may cause previous years' students to join a different class. But Purdue really does work with students and gives second (and even third) chances.

Also, its a pretty standard pattern among all years. Generally a couple of people drop down into each class, so it evens out.

Last edited:
Do any current students know if Purdue allows for residency appeal during matriculation? Like, if I marry an Indiana resident, will I be able to switch to in-state? Asking because my husband will be moving with me wherever I go; if he gets full-time employed in IN and switch his residency, wouldn't it be pretty much the same as if I marry an IN? :unsure: I emailed residency office and they basically recited the online information again, which didn't really help with my confusion.

Got my call at 10:40, oos accepted! So excited, this is the second school I've heard from and first acceptance!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
It's hard when you interview 300+ students and 90% interview well and only have space for ~84. Statistics are just stacked against you, unfortunately. I think I read when I was panicking before I received a call that interviews are only ~10% of the final decision. So then they go back and compare other requirements. Admissions is a **** show. Every school looks for something different. I got accepted to schools that many people on SDN didn't, and they got accepted to schools that I didn't. Every year is wildly different from the next, but it doesn't mean you arent a good applicant! Crossing my fingers!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! Dean just called 12:15 EST- OOS acceptance =)

Reactions: 9 users
OOS acceptance, just got off the phone!

Reactions: 8 users
He just called! OOS acceptance!

Reactions: 7 users
Do any current students know if Purdue allows for residency appeal during matriculation? Like, if I marry an Indiana resident, will I be able to switch to in-state? Asking because my husband will be moving with me wherever I go; if he gets full-time employed in IN and switch his residency, wouldn't it be pretty much the same as if I marry an IN? :unsure: I emailed residency office and they basically recited the online information again, which didn't really help with my confusion.

I asked this last year and no. Since you primarily moved there for school they won’t allow it. If your guy would have moved to Indiana a year ago, then you moved to be with him THEN got accepted that would be a different story. I’m in the same boat. My bf lives and works there but since my primary reason to move after my acceptance would be school they will not allow it

I asked this last year and no. Since you primarily moved there for school they won’t allow it. If your guy would have moved to Indiana a year ago, then you moved to be with him THEN got accepted that would be a different story. I’m in the same boat. My bf lives and works there but since my primary reason to move after my acceptance would be school they will not allow it
Ah damn. I was really leaning towards Purdue for the past few days thinking I might be able to graduate debt free....there goes the dream.

Ah damn. I was really leaning towards Purdue for the past few days thinking I might be able to graduate debt free....there goes the dream.
Purdue still has one of the cheapest OOS tuitions. Don't know how next year will be affected yet due to COVID and construction. Obviously, its still A LOT, but it was a big factor in my decision since I did not get into my instate (Cornell)

Purdue still has one of the cheapest OOS tuitions. Don't know how next year will be affected yet due to COVID and construction. Obviously, its still A LOT, but it was a big factor in my decision since I did not get into my instate (Cornell)
With the scholarship, Purdue's tuition+COL for me will be approximately $60,000 than Davis. But I really want to move to California...one of my friends in California went to wind surfing last weekend while we were snowed in in the Midwest...(this is the reason why I'm pretty sure I won't accept my IS seat if admitted too). And my husband has a better career outlook in California than in West Lafayette.

Does anyone know when or if they typically release scholarship/ award information? I saw that last year it was released two-ish weeks after acceptance calls, but I also saw that someone on this chat received scholarship information during the call.

With the scholarship, Purdue's tuition+COL for me will be approximately $60,000 than Davis. But I really want to move to California...one of my friends in California went to wind surfing last weekend while we were snowed in in the Midwest...(this is the reason why I'm pretty sure I won't accept my IS seat if admitted too). And my husband has a better career outlook in California than in West Lafayette.
Similar thing for me between Cornell and, if accepted, Purdue. I’m pretty sure I would choose Cornell because I really love it, but still deciding whether the difference is worth $70000 to me. Honestly part of me is hoping I don’t get accepted to AVC because I can’t justify going to Cornell for 3.3x the price, but I fell in love with Cornell and AVC has made it clear how much they care about domestic applicants (nnnnnot much).

Damn wish that was even close to an option for me

Similar thing for me between Cornell and, if accepted, Purdue. I’m pretty sure I would choose Cornell because I really love it, but still deciding whether the difference is worth $70000 to me. Honestly part of me is hoping I don’t get accepted to AVC because I can’t justify going to Cornell for 3.3x the price, but I fell in love with Cornell and AVC has made it clear how much they care about domestic applicants (nnnnnot much).
Honestly, I dont think I would have been as happy at Cornell as I am at Purdue. Since I live semi-local to Cornell, I hear a lot of the bad that goes with Cornell

This is almost my current situation Rn (Cornell vs Purdue), which is why I’m trying to wait until I hear about scholarships for both schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, I dont think I would have been as happy at Cornell as I am at Purdue. Since I live semi-local to Cornell, I hear a lot of the bad that goes with Cornell
Would you mind sharing some of that “bad”? I’m also torn between Cornell and a couple schools and would be interested to hear another perspective on the school

Would you mind sharing some of that “bad”? I’m also torn between Cornell and a couple schools and would be interested to hear another perspective on the school
I've heard from multiple veterinarians, from different walks of life, that Cornell grads are not the best clinically prepared when they graduate and enter the working field ( we get a lot of them in my area). I have heard the opposite about Purdue. I have a co-worker that went to Cornell undergrad but didnt even apply to the vet school because of the snooty attitude of the "we are cornell, aka we are the best ever" (which of course they are great). But these are just opinions at the end of the day and everyone's experiences are all different

I've heard from multiple veterinarians, from different walks of life, that Cornell grads are not the best clinically prepared when they graduate and enter the working field ( we get a lot of them in my area). I have heard the opposite about Purdue. I have a co-worker that went to Cornell undergrad but didnt even apply to the vet school because of the snooty attitude of the "we are cornell, aka we are the best ever" (which of course they are great). But these are just opinions at the end of the day and everyone's experiences are all different

Do you mean Purdue grads had better clinical skills?

I’ve heard opinions going both ways with Cornell in terms of the snooty attitude. In my opinion, I think you’ll get some of that attitude almost wherever you go. The lack of clinical skills is new info to me though, so thank you for sharing!

Do you mean Purdue grads had better clinical skills?
Yes. But again, every is different and it all depends on if you make the best of your education.

How soon do they send out rejection/waitlist emails?
Last year when they started calls on Friday, i got the official email on Wednesday, which is when all decisions went out I believe

The only Cornell graduated veterinarian I've had first-hand experience with is my dog's rehabilitation vet, who is absolutely amazing. However, I do get a very snotty attitude from other Cornell (non-vet) students I've met. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I just can't shake the feeling that I probably won't be very happy there. Also Cornell vet school is pretty expensive. I'm pretty sure I'll turn down my OOS seat there.

I
The only Cornell graduated veterinarian I've had first-hand experience with is my dog's rehabilitation vet, who is absolutely amazing. However, I do get a very snotty attitude from other Cornell (non-vet) students I've met. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I just can't shake the feeling that I probably won't be very happy there. Also Cornell vet school is pretty expensive. I'm pretty sure I'll turn down my OOS seat there.
I should add I was heartbroken I didnt get in to cornell, and had I gotten in, I probably would have gone! But I am very happy i did pick purdue!

Also keep in mind that there is a tuition freeze through the 2022-2023 year at Purdue so there will not be any cost increase through that year. The freeze has been going on for ten years now and I haven't heard word down the grapevine of that stopping, Considering how quickly tuition can increase, that's another factor to consider when deciding between schools.

(Sorry, not necessarily replying to your statement; more just adding on so all the facts are out there ;) )

Also keep in mind that there is a tuition freeze through the 2022-2023 year at Purdue so there will not be any cost increase through that year. The freeze has been going on for ten years now and I haven't heard word down the grapevine of that stopping, Considering how quickly tuition can increase, that's another factor to consider when deciding between schools.

(Sorry, not necessarily replying to your statement; more just adding on so all the facts are out there ;) )
I had not heard that, that's awesome!

Any thoughts/ concerns with Purdue being on probation from accreditation?
Is this just related to them needing to rebuild hospitals? Is it something I should consider when I decide

Any thoughts/ concerns with Purdue being on probation from accreditation?
Is this just related to them needing to rebuild hospitals? Is it something I should consider when I decide
No, it will not affect you at all. It's only because they need updated facilities. They will be done at the end of this year. The amount of building that has been done since August is amazing. If anything it made me want to go here more because I'll get to do my clinicals in a shiny brand new hospital :love:

No, it will not affect you at all. It's only because they need updated facilities. They will be done at the end of this year. The amount of building that has been done since August is amazing. If anything it made me want to go here more because I'll get to do my clinicals in a shiny brand new hospital :love:
When is the new small animal hospital going to open to public? Do we expect a rise in caseload too?

When is the new small animal hospital going to open to public? Do we expect a rise in caseload too?
Construction will be done at the end of this year and moving in March-ish of next year, so probably that will be when it's open or soon after. Not sure how it will affect case load.

Construction will be done at the end of this year and moving in March-ish of next year, so probably that will be when it's open or soon after. Not sure how it will affect case load.
I want to say at some point I heard a potential 30% caseload increase? Don't hold me to that number; it was very early on and likely has changed.

I heard that there's a $2400 laptop that everyone is required to purchase from school
It's a Lenovo yoga thinkpad. The cost will depend on the warrenty you want to purchase. Purdue factors it into tuition costs.