RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
whyyyyy oh whyyyyyyyyyyyy does my kitteh decide that I need supplemental learning material... like PBL real life version??? In recent history, our investigative activities included:

bloodwork x 3 + fPLI
echo
radiographs
ultrasound x 2

and all of these just happened to uncover new problems, but no real answers to the chief complaint? way to make a challenge extra challenging

now we have bloodwork x 2 and a possible endoscopy coming up in the next couple of weeks.

due to these issues, she's now overdue on rabies. she freaking better not bite a student under anesthesia like she did last time. oh... and right... i remember, we just realized a couple months ago that she's kind of a slight anesthetic risk due to her HCM. thanks to her though, i know that i can hear heart murmurs in kitty cats. i won't have that insecurity lingering over my shoulders going into clinics.

her little shriveled up kidneys also better not start causing azotemia anytime soon either. i can't put her on a renal diet thanks to her recent development of IBD. how did we discover these little shriveled up kidneys in the first place? riiiight, i remember now. we were looking for possible causes for her mild GI problems.

heart bad
kidneys bad
pancreas bad
teeth bad (prone to resorptive lesions)
intestines bad
liver probably bad

if i find out that there's anything else broken in this cat, i'm going to go kapoot

Members don't see this ad.

whyyyyy oh whyyyyyyyyyyyy does my kitteh decide that I need supplemental learning material... like PBL real life version??? In recent history, our investigative activities included:

bloodwork x 3 + fPLI
echo
radiographs
ultrasound x 2

and all of these just happened to uncover new problems, but no real answers to the chief complaint? way to make a challenge extra challenging

now we have bloodwork x 2 and a possible endoscopy coming up in the next couple of weeks.

due to these issues, she's now overdue on rabies. she freaking better not bite a student under anesthesia like she did last time. oh... and right... i remember, we just realized a couple months ago that she's kind of a slight anesthetic risk due to her HCM. thanks to her though, i know that i can hear heart murmurs in kitty cats. i won't have that insecurity lingering over my shoulders going into clinics.

her little shriveled up kidneys also better not start causing azotemia anytime soon either. i can't put her on a renal diet thanks to her recent development of IBD. how did we discover these little shriveled up kidneys in the first place? riiiight, i remember now. we were looking for possible causes for her mild GI problems.

heart bad
kidneys bad
pancreas bad
intestines bad
liver probably bad

if i find out that there's anything else broken in this cat, i'm going to go kapoot

just musing here, but I wonder what the common thread of all these signs are...

sorry to hear that your kitty is sick and costing you a fortune

bloodwork x 3 + fPLI
echo
radiographs
ultrasound x 2

heart bad
kidneys bad
pancreas bad
intestines bad
liver probably bad

At my hospital where I work we have a few kitties that have uber sensitive stomachs, all the time. We put them on a low, low dose of prednisone and they are better. I'm still a pre-vet dummy so I dunno but it works. I know your kitty has kidney issues so I'm not sure if that would be feasible for you or not just passing on my experience:oops: Whatever happens I hope your mowda feels better!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That is really unfortunate. This may be out of line, but maybe say you've been rejected from your schools so they should give you better positions. Then if you get in, say you got called of the rejection pile and sorry for the inconvenience (which isn't really an inconvenience...it's really to their advantage to have a more qualified person in a higher position). I dunno. Maybe I'm just being crazy. I just feel like you're getting shafted every which way in this situation. :(

Sorry to have been such a lurker recently...

I know that this seems like an unfair situation, but it's really not a good idea to be untruthful about your situation regarding your applications. If you do, and then get into school, in the best case scenario, it looks fishy. In the worst case, you might find yourself being accused of dishonesty, which could very seriously affect your future employment, your ability to get recommendations, etc. As jmo says, the veterinary world is small, and integrity is a very important part of the profession.

It sucks, but from the employer's point of view, you can understand why they might not want to put effort into someone whom they think will leave. I'm not saying that's fair, but it is to be expected. Equitate, perhaps the best way to look at this is that they obviously think you have the potential to be a vet, since they believe that you'll be leaving for school. Small reward, I know, but if you get called off the waitlist this year, it'll pay off. Good luck with the applications :)

bloodwork x 3 + fPLI
echo
radiographs
ultrasound x 2

heart bad
kidneys bad
pancreas bad
intestines bad
liver probably bad

Minnerbelle, I'm so very sorry for your kitty's troubles. :( My little one has been through it all and I know all too well the stress both kitty and parent ensue. Oh yeah - mine's not a good patient either. My apologies to the techs she's sent to the hospital!

We've been an IBD 'family' for years but it took forever (and two bouts of pancreatitis) to diagnose. She was on enzyme tx for a while, but she's been on periodic methylpred for about 2 years and it's been helpful. That was only after she developed hyperthyroidism and started tapazole. She still has her bouts of diarrhea and vomiting and I could go on about all of her other issues (beginning renal issues, etc) but instead I'll just say that you have empathy galore from me and I'll :xf: that you can find a way to keep both you and her comfy. :luck:

just musing here, but I wonder what the common thread of all these signs are...

sorry to hear that your kitty is sick and costing you a fortune
thank goodness i'm a vet student and have the discounts + free prescription diets!

and if there was one common thread to all of these signs, it would make for a great case write up and/or actual PBL case!

i think the current theory is that the chronic kidney dz and HCM are unrelated randomness that we just happened to catch before any symptoms hit. though early renal disease could be contributing to some of the ickiness. poor kitteh's only like 5-6 years old MAX :(.

We know there's pancreatitis at this point, and based on how she's responded to our little "food trials" I'm pretty darn sure she has some sort of hypersensitivity issue going on. We're just not sure if there's concurrent hepatic lipidosis, cholangitis, etc... And there may be something related to this weird nasal tract thing she's also go going on. Then there's all of these things that other vets in the past decided were behavior quirks on her part in regards to her drinking/eating that may have been actual problems afterall. Many a question marks

At my hospital where I work we have a few kitties that have uber sensitive stomachs, all the time. We put them on a low, low dose of prednisone and they are better. I'm still a pre-vet dummy so I dunno but it works. I know your kitty has kidney issues so I'm not sure if that would be feasible for you or not just passing on my experience:oops: Whatever happens I hope your mowda feels better!!!

thanks for the well wishes. good thing is that she's responding well to a hypoallergenic (hydrolyzed protein rather than novel protein) diet, so we probably won't have to consider pred. but... this cat has chronic herpes (the plot thickens) and that's something we're trying to control as well, so pred is kind of out of the question. especially with her nasal passage funk we got going on, the last thing we want to do is bring back respiratory infection.

She still has her bouts of diarrhea and vomiting and I could go on about all of her other issues (beginning renal issues, etc) but instead I'll just say that you have empathy galore from me and I'll :xf: that you can find a way to keep both you and her comfy. :luck:

broken kitteh parents unite!
:highfive:

Hey you guys!!! I wanna unite in the broken kitty .. err I guess club would be the wrong word. I semi-recently lost my ancient kitty that had high thyroid, was hypertensive, went blind literally overnight and had dementia. Now I have a kitty that has pretty bad herpes that crops up all the time and one of his eyes is extra weepy from an ulcer he had, he is also high thyroid and has had every single one of his teeth pulled. he's still pretty young too:oops: I just love those special needs meowies.

I had a similar story, minnerbelle. I took my cat in for increased vomiting (5x in one night). By the end of the work up, she had atelectasis in 2 lung lobes, heartworm disease, hyperthyroidism, and possible kidney disease. She then proceeded to do great for 2 years before succumbing to a completely different disease at 17 (bronchogenic carcinoma). I definitely remember being overwhelmed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it's just fate for vet peeps. I thought I purposely picked a cat with YES behavioral problems but NO health problems. go figure...

i swear the weirdest and worst stuff happens to vet peeps unfortunately :(

not to be a debbie downer but...

my dog passed away from GME.

my co-worker's dog passed away from lymphoma that metastasized.

my other co-worker has a 9 year old boxer with degenerative myelopathy.

a former co-worker had a dog that passed away from hemangio :(

and my other co-worker has a kitty with IBD and GI lymphoma.

a tech in sx department has had to have every one of her basset hound's legs operated on (TPLO x 2, surgery in the front legs to straighten them)

it's like the fates KNOW that we have more resources than other typical people......so unfortunate because of the mental/emotional strain.

So.... I am applying for fall internships in case I never make it off the waiting list.

Why do all the cool internships require a DVM? :rolleyes:

i swear the weirdest and worst stuff happens to vet peeps unfortunately :(

not to be a debbie downer but...

my dog passed away from GME.

my co-worker's dog passed away from lymphoma that metastasized.

my other co-worker has a 9 year old boxer with degenerative myelopathy.

a former co-worker had a dog that passed away from hemangio :(

and my other co-worker has a kitty with IBD and GI lymphoma.

a tech in sx department has had to have every one of her basset hound's legs operated on (TPLO x 2, surgery in the front legs to straighten them)

it's like the fates KNOW that we have more resources than other typical people......so unfortunate because of the mental/emotional strain.

Ah, I just saw your post. Sorry about your dog :( The worst things do happen to vet friends.

I hate being sick - I hate it worse when it's not that full on sick feeling. I've been nauseous for the last few days. But the kind of nauseous where you're hungry at the same time.

I saw my first parvo case and it did not end well.

my boss leaves a lot to be desired - like physical exams, most times. But I can't really quit right now (stupid loans).

I had a client doubt what I told him today because he thought I was in it to make money. He literally told me I was making it up.

That sounds like one horrible day, sorry dyachei, and I hope you feel better. It's no fun feeling sick but not bad enough to stay home.

What do you do when someone doesn't believe you? Do you suggest they get a second opinion? I'm sure this happens more often these days, particularly in a crappy economy. Hope things get better.

Our neighbors house went up in flames last night :(. We saw smoke all around our house and the corn fields across the roads and when we looked to our left their house was ablaze. We called 911 and luckily the fire department is literally 1/8 mile away. It was a chimney fire that spread through their attack. No one was home thank God, but it makes me very sad for them :(. We are offering them a place to stay. Their black lab might be staying with us for the time being while they figure out housing. I :love: puppy sleep overs. :D. Everyone needs to remember to be grateful for the things they have everyday because you never know when it will be gone!! :uhno:

Our neighbors house went up in flames last night :(. We saw smoke all around our house and the corn fields across the roads and when we looked to our left their house was ablaze. We called 911 and luckily the fire department is literally 1/8 mile away. It was a chimney fire that spread through their attack. No one was home thank God, but it makes me very sad for them :(. We are offering them a place to stay. Their black lab might be staying with us for the time being while they figure out housing. I :love: puppy sleep overs. :D. Everyone needs to remember to be grateful for the things they have everyday because you never know when it will be gone!! :uhno:

Awww, that is awful.

Mild rant:
I talked to my roommate (aka ex-boyfriend) back in January about privacy. I asked him if I could have the apartment to myself a few hours a week. He came up with a million excuses and then wanted me to pay him to leave. He eventually said he would "work something out."

Last week, I was stressed as heck. He was getting in my way and it was agitating. Whenever I went into the kitchen, he'd turn away from his computer and stare at me. Whenever I came out of the bedroom, he'd turn around and stare at me. Whenever I laughed at the tv, he'd turn around and go "What are you laughing at?!"

That's when I realized that he has not "worked this out." I brought it up this afternoon:
"But every time I leave for the weekend, you get mad!"
BECAUSE THERE IS A TRANSIT STRIKE AND I CANNOT LEAVE THE APARTMENT FOR 3 DAYS WHEN YOU GO AWAY.

I raised my voice with him. I did not want to.
But, he left, right now. I didn't want him to leave right this moment.
I have the place to myself, but now I feel bad for getting cranky. :(

I hate conflict. I really do. But whenever I try to rationally talk to this guy about my feelings, he comes up with the stupidest explanations as to why I am wrong (usually he says, "I do not know why you feel this way. I would never feel this way if I was you.") or the stupidest excuses as to why he will not do what I want ("I like to play video games. Why would I leave the apartment and give you privacy when that is what I like to do?")

Also, there is this pattern that is starting to happen: whenever I have to go away for the weekend, he stays. Whenever I am here for the weekend, he announces that he is going away, which forces me to go away and crash at my parent's house

Less than 2 months until I am GONE.

My 21 year old brother just asked me what my major is, because he can't remember.

My major? WAT?

FML.

lol. that's pretty bad. We know how fantastic you are here, at least! ;)

Well obviously you're at a university so you're still a student, duh.

OOPS. Keep forgetting. :smuggrin:

lol. that's pretty bad. We know how fantastic you are here, at least! ;)

Aw, shucks.:p I do honestly still feel like a student a lot of the time, though, between the MS classes and studying for boards. Yipes.

Dear heartburn,

Please go away!

Sincerely,

Person who would like to sleep laying down.

Dear heartburn,

Please go away!

Sincerely,

Person who would like to sleep laying down.

It's kind of expensive, but I find Pepcid complete works for me, FWIW. I think the combination of antacid and acid reduction works better than either on its own. Walgreens has a cheap version of it that doesn't taste too bad. Hope it gets better.

broken kitteh parents unite!
:highfive:

Damn straight! And it makes me wonder if having her isn't part of what drew me to vet med. I got her my first year of graduate school simply because I was a little lonely in a new town away from everyone/everything I knew. She's been sick since almost day 1 and we've been together 14+ years. Best and most stable relationship I've EVER had! :laugh:

And Emiloo - I can't even imagine the horror. You guys are awesome for getting the fire company out there and for offering them your home and comfort. Best of luck to them with everything they have in front of them. :xf:

Thanks LMMS. I can't even imagine what they're going through :(.

I have a rant that all of you here will understand (or at least SHOULD)
:mad::mad:
http://news.yahoo.com/video/fayette...ound-cat-makes-name-for-himself-28532264.html

"He's fluffly"
No, He's FAT!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
"We only feed him dry food"
Then you feed him TOO MUCH! :mad:

Sorry, but this isn't "cute" to me. It makes me angry. :mad: No cat should be 40 pounds with a stomach the size of a soccer ball, and no cat/family should be glorified on television for this!

Emiloo I agree!! If you only feed dry food but, say, free-feed then you're still not doing your job!!!! Cat or dog I want my animal to live the longest, fullest life they can!!!!!! (Though my dachshund acts like I'm starving her ....:p)

It's kind of expensive, but I find Pepcid complete works for me, FWIW. I think the combination of antacid and acid reduction works better than either on its own. Walgreens has a cheap version of it that doesn't taste too bad. Hope it gets better.
Thanks. I have been eating tums and that helped some. If it doesn't go away, I will try pepcid or zantac.

So I just read an article that the Red Cross has stepped in to help our neighbors as well. :love:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/fayette...ound-cat-makes-name-for-himself-28532264.html

"He's fluffly"

Sorry, but this isn't "cute" to me. It makes me angry. :mad: No cat should be 40 pounds with a stomach the size of a soccer ball, and no cat/family should be glorified on television for this!

thats sickening. looks the the whole family could use a diet restriction...
i'd love to share a story about a morbidly obese cat we had this summer in ER that was too big to move. high quality life right there. COD? cardiac arrest from severe liver dz :(

Dancing at work. I'm gonna look like an idiot..

Wah. Twisted my ankle at the gym today. Can't really walk on it, and it's not swollen or bruised (yet...). Currently icing it hoping it gets better and isn't actually anything serious. Really bummed that I only got through like 1/3rd of the work out. Grrrrr.

"He's fluffly"

That's disgusting. Some pet owners act like that at my hospital. It's so frustrating.

Wah. Twisted my ankle at the gym today. Can't really walk on it, and it's not swollen or bruised (yet...). Currently icing it hoping it gets better and isn't actually anything serious. Really bummed that I only got through like 1/3rd of the work out. Grrrrr.
Feel better soon!

"He's fluffly"

Why do people insist that fat animals are cute? Do you think a 600 pound person is adorable? NO! Obesity is sad, it's not cute and neither are the health problems that come with it.

Why do people insist that fat animals are cute? Do you think a 600 pound person is adorable? NO! Obesity is sad, it's not cute and neither are the health problems that come with it.

Same reason they think that other unhealthy phenotypes like brachycephalic skulls and various forms of dwarfism are oh so adorbs when it's an animal. People are dumb.

Awww, that is awful.

Mild rant:
I talked to my roommate (aka ex-boyfriend) back in January about privacy. I asked him if I could have the apartment to myself a few hours a week. He came up with a million excuses and then wanted me to pay him to leave. He eventually said he would "work something out."

Last week, I was stressed as heck. He was getting in my way and it was agitating. Whenever I went into the kitchen, he'd turn away from his computer and stare at me. Whenever I came out of the bedroom, he'd turn around and stare at me. Whenever I laughed at the tv, he'd turn around and go "What are you laughing at?!"

That's when I realized that he has not "worked this out." I brought it up this afternoon:
"But every time I leave for the weekend, you get mad!"
BECAUSE THERE IS A TRANSIT STRIKE AND I CANNOT LEAVE THE APARTMENT FOR 3 DAYS WHEN YOU GO AWAY.

I raised my voice with him. I did not want to.
But, he left, right now. I didn't want him to leave right this moment.
I have the place to myself, but now I feel bad for getting cranky. :(

I hate conflict. I really do. But whenever I try to rationally talk to this guy about my feelings, he comes up with the stupidest explanations as to why I am wrong (usually he says, "I do not know why you feel this way. I would never feel this way if I was you.") or the stupidest excuses as to why he will not do what I want ("I like to play video games. Why would I leave the apartment and give you privacy when that is what I like to do?")

Also, there is this pattern that is starting to happen: whenever I have to go away for the weekend, he stays. Whenever I am here for the weekend, he announces that he is going away, which forces me to go away and crash at my parent's house

Less than 2 months until I am GONE.
Keep your chin up hon. You're almost there. :hugs:

:boom:
Stupid hospital made a mistake on THEIR PART which is costing a 100 point drop in my credit score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right before I have to lease an apartment and take out loans.... WHAT THE F*CK!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
:diebanana::bullcrap::boom:
I'm so freakin pissed right now I'm in tears!

Stupid hospital made a mistake on THEIR PART which is costing a 100 point drop in my credit score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right before I have to lease an apartment and take out loans.... WHAT THE F*CK!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm so freakin pissed right now I'm in tears!
That really sucks I'm sorry!!! If it's their fault they should report that to the credit bureau!! That would probably take some time so it wouldn't fix your score right now but maybe they would right you a letter? I really hope it works out :(

the people who live above me really need to get a new bed because all I hear every morning at like 7 am is them going at it and it shakes my entire living room.

i wouldn't really care so much if they weren't jerks too but they complained to management about my dog peeing on the concrete when she was younger and couldn't make it to the grass and now every time somebody's dog pees on the concrete I get a call from management that they complained again. And it hasn't even been my dog for like, months!!! :mad:

So I called the collections agency today (who were incredibly nice) and they agreed to remove it. They said I will have to dispute it with the credit bureaus to get it off faster but that they will support me when the bureaus ask. She said I was "very lucky" because they usually don't do that, but I don't think I'm lucky, I think I shouldn't of had to deal with it in the first place! :mad: Either way, I am SOOOOO happy it is going to be removed! I felt like my life was over for the next 7 years! I've worked hard to have a great credit score and I'm not about to let someone else's stupid $7.13 mistake ruin all my hard work! :p And the timing of this, right before apartment leasing and government loans!!! :eek: Glad I caught it when I did. Hope it comes off soon! 100 point drop? REALLY?!?! :confused:

the people who live above me really need to get a new bed because all I hear every morning at like 7 am is them going at it and it shakes my entire living room.

i wouldn't really care so much if they weren't jerks too but they complained to management about my dog peeing on the concrete when she was younger and couldn't make it to the grass and now every time somebody's dog pees on the concrete I get a call from management that they complained again. And it hasn't even been my dog for like, months!!! :mad:

Ugh that sucks. :oops:
Is your management understanding that it's not you?

Ugh that sucks. :oops:
Is your management understanding that it's not you?

I think so, but the newest "memo" they sent out to all pet owners was about how the grassy areas were designated for dog owners and that the walkways are inappropriate though they understand that once one dog goes there others may as well so I still feel like they are somehow implicating me. You know, I even went out there and cleaned up the area as best I could after we talked the first time.

Can't wait until lease is up.

Dear mom:

My dog is a living being, not a garbage disposal. Please stop putting discarded food in her dish.

Thank you.