RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The smartest (best grades) people are often not the best clinicians. Can you (really everyone reading this) integrate the big picture and not get stuck in the weeds? It is a VITAL skill in the diagnostic process. You need to have good grades and a good resume to get in and get through but it is not the only thing needed in clinics
Well, admittedly in my prior post my grades are not perfect. They're good, but not perfect. I did the best I could working full time in the field (sometimes multiple job or swing shift) while getting my BS.
I understand the value of a well balance candidate - I've been told by many well seasoned veterinarians that perfect students don't (always) make great vets for a variety of reasons...but try telling your relatives that. Unfortunately they aren't always sympathetic.

Yeah but the thing is none of that actually matters when you're talking about getting into school in the first place. There's not a very good way to actually measure that ability in an applicant, so the adcoms go by what they have, which is unfortunately grades.
Or the GRE :/ or both!

Members don't see this ad.

What was she trying to insult you and you scienced her? I did the same thing to one of my family members about an inflammatory post they shared about muslims that wasn't true at all, for some reason that meant I was disrespecting my family member. Okkkkkayyy.
It was me genuinely asking what she knew on the topic and she totally took it the wrong way. I have PCOS, and it worried me a bit. Whatever, I'll make her cut up my food tomorrow at dinner since I'm in a sling again :p

Reactions: 1 users
when the head breaks off the mop at the clinic and you have to attempt to clean all the floors with a spray bottle of rocal and an old swiffer..

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek: You okay??

It's related to my left sided chest pain back in September. I'm fine. Not sure if the chest pain was related to the fact that I now know I have mitral valve prolapse and mild regurgitation or maybe it was an anxiety attack. No freaking clue. But I feel fine and don't need any lifestyle changes.

To the jerk who found and then stole our dropped credit card, I hope hope karma is terrible to you soon. Also, jokes on you because we noticed and immediately cancelled it. Try a little harder in life to be a better person, I promise it's not that hard.

Reactions: 1 user
To the jerk who found and then stole our dropped credit card, I hope hope karma is terrible to you soon. Also, jokes on you because we noticed and immediately cancelled it. Try a little harder in life to be a better person, I promise it's not that hard.
:( I know this pain all too well. So my parents own their own business, and we found out about a week ago that someone took one of our checks and got their own checkbooks with a fake ID and deposited ~$8,000 of my family's money directly into their bank account. Luckily the bank refunded the money for us, and luckily you were able to cancel the card!

Working over break at my old hospital back home. Got paid yesterday, and today I used my entire paycheck to pay off last semester's loan interest in an effort to help future Dr Aloha. Sigh. Merry Christmas to me. Loans suck. :(

Reactions: 9 users
Super busy today at the hospital but somehow managed to find someone to drive to our sister hospital in order to get me enough ACTH gel so I could stim my dog.

Antech came 6 freaking hours early, so my blood work won't go out until Monday. Suspect she's an atypical addisonian if she is one...

Ever felt like the whole world is moving around you, and you are stuck in the same spot, just watching? Yeah.
8 million engagement announcements on Facebook (including my own fathers). All of the "merry christmas" posts coming from beaches and islands and other exotic destinations because apparently people in this world can actually afford to take time off work in travel. Six+ posts saying "I got exactly what I wanted for Christmas, blessed/thankful/joyful, love my family, blah blah blah"

Meanwhile, not a single present to open this morning (my mother apparently decided I wasn't worth the postage and emailed me a gift card last week- no note. Nothing from the rest of my family). I feel invisible. Only time my phone has rung all day was the clinic answering service and emergency calls. No one in my family has called or texted.

Bah humbug.

Ever felt like the whole world is moving around you, and you are stuck in the same spot, just watching? Yeah.
8 million engagement announcements on Facebook (including my own fathers). All of the "merry christmas" posts coming from beaches and islands and other exotic destinations because apparently people in this world can actually afford to take time off work in travel. Six+ posts saying "I got exactly what I wanted for Christmas, blessed/thankful/joyful, love my family, blah blah blah"

Meanwhile, not a single present to open this morning (my mother apparently decided I wasn't worth the postage and emailed me a gift card last week- no note. Nothing from the rest of my family). I feel invisible. Only time my phone has rung all day was the clinic answering service and emergency calls. No one in my family has called or texted.

Bah humbug.

Merry christmas! I've been in this same boat before, it sucks. If you were closer, I'd invite you to join my family. You could mostly just eat food and ignore my parents arguing.

Bah humbug.

I'm stuck working today as well and haven't heard from anyone so I totally feel you. Merry Christmas!

Members don't see this ad :)

Bah humbug.

I spent the day hiking with my dog. When I responded to the family group text nobody answered me. I feel you. I just ended up playing Pokemon all night lol.

Dear Barn Cats,

If you are going to kill mice, please eat them or dispose of their bodies in the manure pile. They make terrible Christmas gifts, especially when I nearly step on them...

:mad:

Had to put one of my dogs down today, and it sucked. She was young (only like 8), but had been suffering from eosinophilic myositis for the past 9 months.

Had to put one of my dogs down today, and it sucked. She was young (only like 8), but had been suffering from eosinophilic myositis for the past 9 months.
Oh no ... sorry to hear about this. It's always hard ... heartbreaking ... to lose a pet. Very sorry, raf. My thoughts are with you.

Carrie Fisher....

giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 users
I'm done taking things for the team today. Between doing the call back on a patient that wasn't mine only to get yelled at and threatened with legal actionn to taking the emergency turkey appointment, I'm just done with today.​

My best friends 8 month old dog was hit by a car yesterday and had to be euthanized. She witnessed the whole thing. She is an absolute wreck and feels responsible...I am doing the best I can to be there for her and help her through this. Any advice on how to help her cope and not blame herself?

My best friends 8 month old dog was hit by a car yesterday and had to be euthanized. She witnessed the whole thing. She is an absolute wreck and feels responsible...I am doing the best I can to be there for her and help her through this. Any advice on how to help her cope and not blame herself?

How heartbreaking :( I would just be there if she wants to talk, reiterate that it is not her fault and let time do its thing.

Just some money-related rambling.
Out of curiosity, what is the maximum amount of money allotted for living costs at the schools you all are at?
A school should cover reasonable living costs in their cost of attendance they provide the loan companies. My school allotted way more than it actually cost to live in the area. Are you taking out both direct stafford loans AND a grad plus? I didn't ever have to do the grad plus but I know lots of people do need it to afford OOS tuition and living expenses.

My grandmother noticed that my mom had a picture of her debit card that she had sent me to help pay for an eye exam because the voucher I had to get it free was expired. She was deleting it but then she said "you would really send that to her to use anytime?" I'd mentioned that I deleted the picture like the same day and I was really offended that she would imply that I would do that. She screamed in my face that she didnt.

I just left the kitchen and I'm away from everyone. It is my mom's birthday and the fact that her own mother wants to stir the pot with unecessary drama is more than I care to deal with at the moment. It's doubly offensive that she would pointedly acuse me of stealing money from my mom when everyone extorted me for my student loans all semester. I'm just going to shut up and leave it alone. There's no point.

A school should cover reasonable living costs in their cost of attendance they provide the loan companies. My school allotted way more than it actually cost to live in the area. Are you taking out both direct stafford loans AND a grad plus? I didn't ever have to do the grad plus but I know lots of people do need it to afford OOS tuition and living expenses.

As an OOS student I can confirm that most tuition rates are a few thousand higher than what a Stafford direct allows. Students also get alot more per semester here than we need to live. I can manage around 4k less than what they offer.

I'm actually considered IS. Tuition isn't a problem; it's just living costs. I guess I could take out grad PLUS if I absolutely have to, but I am hesitant. :/
Oh you haven't done grad plus, that makes more sense. Stuff sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do :shrug: Do you have a budget?

I'm actually considered IS. Tuition isn't a problem; it's just living costs. I guess I could take out grad PLUS if I absolutely have to, but I am hesitant. :/
Like I said I don't have personal experience, but it isn't too bad long term if you just need a little more. I'd rather take out a grad plus for 3-4k or whatever you need for rent than chance it and be scrambling for extra money/a private loan/extra job/roommate in the middle of the semester. Yes you'll pay interest on it and I am usually all for keeping costs low, but you have to do what you have to do. It doesn't make repayment too much more difficult from what I've learned from the VIN debt forums.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, wow. IS at ISU is offered $17k per semester---tuition is $11k, so we receive $6k max for living costs, about 2/3rds of which goes to my rent. Living costs are cheaper here than many other areas of the country, but $2k total leftover for January to August is freaking pushing it.

Here everyone gets offered the $20k stafford direct. OOS tuition is $23k a semester so you just about have to take out some grad plus for that (or in the fall, you can save the summer loan we get) we get like $11k per SEMESTER alone just for the Plus loan, which is wayyyyyy too much for Mississippi cost of living. It's been a relief for me to realize I'm not forced to go $64k in the hole each year at least.

$2000 is definitely not enough to live off of. I thought every school had to give $40k each year in Stafford though!

Oh, wow. IS at ISU is offered $17k per semester---tuition is $11k, so we receive $6k max for living costs, about 2/3rds of which goes to my rent. Living costs are cheaper here than many other areas of the country, but $2k total leftover for January to August is freaking pushing it.
Since you asked how other schools might compare, I just checked current COA where I went to school (also cheap rent relatively) and we got about 2k more than is listed on ISU's website. Actual rent and tuition numbers are fairly similar, but we got more across 'personal expenses' and 'transportation' separate categories than ISU shows.

I'm actually now wondering if you can even take out a grad plus if your school says IS COA is 37k/yr. I think max for stafford direct is 40k/yr so I don't know if you'd even be eligible for a grad plus? I'd need to look into it more. But this link says the max available for vet students at ISU is 40,500/yr? If so that might get you just enough if you can go above 37k to 40k. http://www.financialaid.iastate.edu/students/vet-med.php

I did see a line on my own school's website right now that you might be able to get your allottment increased (albeit in the form of more loans) for medical expenses. Rabies might qualify.

Agree with @that redhead.

Understandably, your best friend is grief stricken and heartbroken right now, and nothing will bring her dog back. By "being there" for her, you're being a compassionate friend and allowing her to grieve. It takes time; and it's never easy. Very sorry to hear about this sad incident.

Been feeling sick the past few days but thought it was bad allergies. Finally after my 11 hour shift today I decided to drag myself to an urgent care because I felt horrible. Turns out I have strep throat, a kidney infection, and possibly a double ear infection. :(

Been feeling sick the past few days but thought it was bad allergies. Finally after my 11 hour shift today I decided to drag myself to an urgent care because I felt horrible. Turns out I have strep throat, a kidney infection, and possibly a double ear infection. :(
Dang, just one of those things would be craptastic on its own! Hope you feel better soon. :(

Glad you went to the urgent care and didn't wait longer, hoping your "bad allergy" symptoms would go away. Hope you feel better soon!

Oof, take care!!

I really need to prioritize buying my own car.

My parents have four vehicles. Right now only two have snow tires on, one has rear wheel drive and won't be used again until spring, and I don't know why we don't have snow tires on the fourth. But whatever. Four vehicles should be more than enough for a household with only three working adults.

Except, my dad will drive whatever the hell he feels like, and he doesn't notice things like parking passes in the front window. :yeahright: Today the car he was planning to take needed air, so he just took the one I've been driving and left a note. So now we have to coordinate meeting up before I have to be at work or I'll have to pay to park. And this isn't the first time. :arghh:

I don't have a defined budget, no, but... I don't drive to school, my car is paid off, my internet and utilities are covered by my complex, I already live with three roommates, I don't drink or go out pretty much ever. My discretionary income basically goes to club dues and food. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if the $915 for my rabies shots wasn't still in limbo. I plan on calling once the school opens back up to figure out why I still haven't been charged for those almost 5 months later. I did give them my health insurance info just in case, but I highly, highly doubt that any of it was covered. It'd be a nice surprise, but I'm not banking on it.

Yeah, that's fair. I may end up doing that; yes, I'm working two jobs this semester, but only 2-5 hours per week... which is hardly going to break the bank.

I do also have significant undergrad debt, which makes me even more hesitant about taking out more loans than I need.
Just an FYI on taking out loans: You have something like 120 days to return any loan money that you take out from federal loans and it's treated as if you never took it out in the first place. Conveniently enough, a semester isn't much longer than 120 days. What I did, every single year of vet school, is take out the maximum amount and then just return whatever I didn't need right before those 120 days and then be a little more paranoid about an emergency happening during that timeframe. I know it's not for everyone, but it gave me a little bit more peace of mind, particularly in first year when my housing situation got dodgy and I was a first time sole pet owner.

Reactions: 8 users
Just an FYI on taking out loans: You have something like 120 days to return any loan money that you take out from federal loans and it's treated as if you never took it out in the first place. Conveniently enough, a semester isn't much longer than 120 days. What I did, every single year of vet school, is take out the maximum amount and then just return whatever I didn't need right before those 120 days and then be a little more paranoid about an emergency happening during that timeframe. I know it's not for everyone, but it gave me a little bit more peace of mind, particularly in first year when my housing situation got dodgy and I was a first time sole pet owner.
Yup, this is what I did this semester as well!

My issue is that I've already taken out the maximum allotted amount for IS students and I'm worried that it still isn't enough. It was plenty for last semester (I had about $1k left over), but I have to make it last over the summer, too, this time. And my rent alone is going to be $3.5-4k of the approximately $6k I'm getting. :/ I don't even know if I would be eligible for a Grad PLUS if I've already taken out to total COA. I am working two jobs this semester and, hopefully, during the summer, as well, so I'm just hoping that that will help.
Ah, yeah. The way it was explained to me by my school's financial aid office is that these loans are not intended to help you out over summer, but only during the school year. Which, as we know, is just not doable for most people. I heard of some students in my class getting a little extra when they moved across the country for travel expenses, or when their computers died but I'm not sure how that works.

My issue is that I've already taken out the maximum allotted amount for IS students and I'm worried that it still isn't enough. It was plenty for last semester (I had about $1k left over), but I have to make it last over the summer, too, this time. And my rent alone is going to be $3.5-4k of the approximately $6k I'm getting. :/ I don't even know if I would be eligible for a Grad PLUS if I've already taken out to total COA. I am working two jobs this semester and, hopefully, during the summer, as well, so I'm just hoping that that will help.

Does your school provide you with a detailed COA so you can see how they got the COA number that they report (although it is just for the months you're in school and not for the summer - at least where I am)? My school has a financial aid advisor just for the vet school and every semester she sends out a detailed COA to each class (she also changes the COA based on your year and the different costs faced during each year). If not, you could see if that is something you can suggest they do. I know it may not help you now but it might help you in the future as well as future students. Just looking at what I can find for your school it seems like they may have estimated low on the books and supplies (maybe not factoring in the rabies vaccine).

It also sounded like you don't keep a detailed budget. Even if you just start tracking where your money is going and use that to figure out how much you need next time that will be a big help. I don't necessarily have a budget but I keep track of where my money is going which helps me see if there is somewhere I might need to cut back. You can use something like mint (www.mint.com) or just keep a google spreadsheet (I can provide you a template if you want). This would also be a way to show your school that their COA number does not match what vet students need if you find that to be true.

Does your school provide you with a detailed COA so you can see how they got the COA number that they report (although it is just for the months you're in school and not for the summer - at least where I am)? My school has a financial aid advisor just for the vet school and every semester she sends out a detailed COA to each class (she also changes the COA based on your year and the different costs faced during each year). If not, you could see if that is something you can suggest they do. I know it may not help you now but it might help you in the future as well as future students. Just looking at what I can find for your school it seems like they may have estimated low on the books and supplies (maybe not factoring in the rabies vaccine).

It also sounded like you don't keep a detailed budget. Even if you just start tracking where your money is going and use that to figure out how much you need next time that will be a big help. I don't necessarily have a budget but I keep track of where my money is going which helps me see if there is somewhere I might need to cut back. You can use something like mint (www.mint.com) or just keep a google spreadsheet (I can provide you a template if you want). This would also be a way to show your school that their COA number does not match what vet students need if you find that to be true.

I love Mint! When I signed up, seeing where my money was really going was uncomfortable, but very helpful. Just seeing each purchase and how little things like coffee added up made me change my spending habits. I work full-time and live comfortably below my means, but I know that will change when I (hopefully!) start vet school. I'm starting to set up an actual budget and having information from Mint has been really, really useful.

@SandstormDVM You Need a Budget (aka YNAB) has a 34-day free trial and is then free for students for one year. I haven't used it (but I'm using an excel spreadsheet that's very similar and am trying to follow YNAB's 4 rules) but I've heard great things about it, especially if your income doesn't come in regularly. The website is www.youneedabudget.com

And just to be clear, I don't mean to imply you're doing anything wrong with your finances. Stretching two-semesters into a full year is tough, and it sounds like your school has a very low estimate of COA. I've just found these resources useful and maybe someone else will, too.