This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopelesslyhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the low down:
CA resident
MCAT: 33
cGPA: 3.52
sGPA: 3.29

Main experiences on first app:
1 year full time job as scribe/surgery scheduler in orthopedics
3 years as division 1 track and field team manager (scholarship)
2 years paid marketing internship with division 1 athletic department
300+ hours physician shadowing (was allowed to shadow other physicians in free time at work)
8 months Volunteer coach for professional pole vaulter
President - Beta Theta Pi fraternity
Research assistant in psycho-communications lab

**As can be seen, sorely lacking in community service/volunteer work

New experiences added:
Continued work full time as scribe/surgery scheduler
Ward clerk - part time, emergency room night shift (just hired)
Volunteer adult literacy teacher at public library (started 3 months ago)
Hospice care volunteer/companion (started 2 months ago)
volunteer in Kitchen at shelter (started 3 months ago)
Volunteer assistant coach at community college for track and field (started 6 months ago)
Volunteered helped running sports physicals at local high schools (through work)
1 quarter of science courses at 4 year (13 units, March 2016- June 2016) - will not be continuing due to significant financial constraints

I talked to 4 schools in February about my previous application, and my low sGPA (3.21 on previous app) and lack of volunteer experience were the main concerns that came up - so I attempted to find immediate ways to impact them. I would like to apply 2o16-17 to both MD/DO, as my MCAT expires after this cycle.

Thoughts on the prospect of reapplication and possible schools to consider??

Is rewriting my personal statement completely a must?? or can I just update it??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

What all MD schools are you a reapplicant at.

Your stats arent "lethal" but you dont live in a good state to overcome the sGPA. Best things you can do for yourself are applying to a well targeted list of schools and having a well written application. Thatll give you your best shot at overcoming the sGPA that is 1 SD below average for MD matriculants. Consider an SMP as well.

Last edited: