Rearview Mirror: Matchitis 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you find yourself watching the patient transporters idly pushing the beds or the janitor cleaning that same spot on the floor that he was cleaning yesterday and you wish, if only that could be you.

Nah. If you get the right residency, you get to be that transporter too. I don't do janitor work, but I do clean up my own messes.

Also, I used to be a transporter. Yes, it's mindless, but you still have to deal with the people complaining about going over bumps, moving people to the gantry, etc.

Most days I don't want to be at the hospital, I imagine myself digging ditches or building a fence. Outside, my own boss, etc......

Members don't see this ad.

1) Stuck on weekend call the day after I took the shelf :mad:

2) Holy crap for crap - there's been a ton of residency reviews!

3) If you participated in the survey, thank you again. I appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3)

kindle, netlfix, catching up with friends :)

landed 9 interviews. Hope to god that'll be enough for match day...

naps.... searching for places to live in my top 3 cities.... packing up and selling things on craigslist..... gym

How's everyone passing the time?

Tonight: carnival rides and a vampire themed bar (why not)
yesterday: caving, tried to learn how to lasso
day before: rock climbing, got snowed on
day before that: Midnight clown show
day before that: Went on a third date with a girl who just so happened to bring her mom with.

Last edited:
My school has a three week wrap up class, so that started today. Some decent EM lectures, but a lot of it is just to try to distract us before match. So class till 2, gym, then hanging in the house of Pain (Au Bon Pain)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys have a wrap up class you have to do? Are y'all still on rotations?

Learning about disability insurance in our wrap up class. A little scary, but sounds like a good idea.

Rereading the salary portion of my contract. It warms the cockles of my heart.

Just got invited to do some overseas medicine for spring break. Will return in time for the email on Monday the 14th.

Finished my last day of wards yesterday. We have two weeks of "Clinical Skills/ACLS" then 4 weeks of chill electives then 2.5-3 months off YAY!

Now I'm trying to read through some leisure books I've collected over the past few years, brush up my Spanish, and work out before I get to intern year.

What does the letter say that we open on Match Day anyway? Will it just have the name of the program in big bold letters like the Oscars, or am I going to have to actually read through some garbage to get to the meat?!?!

Finished my last day of wards yesterday. We have two weeks of "Clinical Skills/ACLS" then 4 weeks of chill electives then 2.5-3 months off YAY!

Now I'm trying to read through some leisure books I've collected over the past few years, brush up my Spanish, and work out before I get to intern year.

2.5-3 months off?! I'm insanely jealous. I go straight through to May 31.

I am doing the EXACT same things though since I'm on a pretty lax rotation. Books for pleasure, Rosetta Stone Spanish, and running in a few races.

Advice: Whatever vacation time you are offered in residency - take it all! Don't let them guilt you into not taking your time off.

NYC also, in green shirt, with green beer, and half a pizza.

I wish everyone would stop telling me to relax about match and that I'll do well. This is supposed to be stressful, this is important, allow me to be worried. Even if it's irrational.

Dude relax, you're going to do fine. :D

I wish everyone would stop telling me to relax about match and that I'll do well. This is supposed to be stressful, this is important, allow me to be worried. Even if it's irrational.

that's it, you just made the list.

Anybody have any recs for moving companies/relocation services?

I'm tempted to just sell everything on Craigslist and start fresh...

Anybody have any recs for moving companies/relocation services?

I'm tempted to just sell everything on Craigslist and start fresh...

Ihad good luck with Mayflower when I moved across the country.

Looks like there are 5 open EM spots in the country. All of them in the South. Good luck to all of those trying to secure one of those spots.

Where did you see this?

I'm assuming the info is from this report:

NRMP => My Reports => Regional Match Statistics by Specialty

(As an aside, it's interesting that apparently radiology has 40 unfilled spots, anesthesia has 50 unfilled spots, and dermatology has 7 unfilled spots. I wonder if that's normal or if I'm reading this information incorrectly.)

Last edited:
Matched...somewhere. I'm going to be an EM doc ;)