This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the forums.

You have five interviews with no decisions. As an Arizona applicant, you are still in the running with 2 public in-states. You are impressive enough for Mayo, Cornell, and Vermont. It's too early to abandon hope.

The only thing I can ask is how your mission aligns with these schools. For Cornell and Vermont, why would you want to travel to a cold-weather state? Why do you think your application got picked for an interview to them?
 
I understand there's still a chance I could be acepted. However, I don't want to be caught with my pants down come end of cycle.

Given how poorly this cycle has gone, I feel that I should be preparing myself for a reapplication. To best prepare myself, I want others to review my app from a neutral position. The MD's I work with, my family and friends, and my school advisor are all biased parties. I think one big issue with my application is that I didn't ask for neutral opinions on my app. If I have to reapply, I want to do so only once more. This cycle alone already took so much out of me.

Since I don't know where you went to undergrad, there are some advisors who can take a more straightforward critical view. I'm more confident of SDN's collective experts' opinions as neutral (noting the bias in this statement, but I think we are fairer) compared to admissions consultants vying for your dollar or the random doomscrolling Reddit critics (though some do frequent us here on SDN). What advice have they given you to butter you up?

I still say that you shouldn't be too pessimistic. You are reasonable with preparing for a reapplication, but you snagged five interviews in a game where most people get one or two. Your applicant profile strategy is more influential with the number of interviews you receive, but we don't have your application to know. And even if we had your application, this is a human-run process where you could be a cat whisker away from getting an interview or not. And it might not even be about you.


My goal is to work in academic medicine as a physician-scientist where I want to also teach med students/residents/fellows. All 5 of those schools (Mayo especially) emphasize these three things (clinical care, education, research) in their schools, compared to other schools that emphasize service more.

Fortunately for you, ALL the schools on your list are technically academic medical centers whose job it is to train future medical students, residents, and fellows. Unfortunately for you, this goal doesn't help you demonstrate your mission fit or your distinctive attractiveness as a future medical student to those schools that decided to ghost you.

For Cornell, I mentioned their center for health equity and tied it back to my own experience with barriers to healthcare and how I wasn't able to access my medication for extended periods of time (medication I need to take every day for the rest of my life). They also have one of the top centers for research for my specific chronic illness, and I stated how I wanted to do research with both of these centers.

For Vermont, I mentioned how AZ has increasing rates of children born with withdrawl due to substance exposure in the womb, contrasting it with Vermont's decreasing rates. I tied this into what I've seen in my foster care volunteering. Vermont also has an interesting healthcare system and willingness to reform it, which would help me gain experience with healthcare reform (I mentioned their ICONS project) so I can use those skills in my practice.

If this is the case, I trust that you made similar custom adjustments to the other schools on your list. Hat tip to you... I think you did all you could in that vein. Sometimes, you can do everything right and still not get the interview.

I went to school in the bay area, CA. It's not as cold at VT or NY, but definitely different compared to AZ. Truth is I don't care about the weather all that much. I do like to hike, climb, etc. but I know I'll be too busy in med school most of the time. In my opinion, a good program with good opportunities for research and diverse clinical populations beats location and weather.

Looks at air temperature for Boston/New York this week...
 
Duplicate threads were merged.

Interview skills is likely the big one. The real deal also can be harder for some people despite mock interviews.

Only think you can add before next cycle would be more non-clinical hours. Food bank, soup kitchen, homeless shelter or similar to add on to your hours reviewing foster cases.

If you reapply, I suggest:

1. University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson
2. University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix
3. Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine – Arizona Campus
4. Albany Medical College
5. Medical College of Wisconsin
6. Sidney Kimmel Medical College
7. Tufts University School of Medicine
8. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
9. New York Medical College
10. University of Rochester School of Medicine
11. University of Vermont Larner College of Medicine
12. University of Colorado School of Medicine
13. Drexel University College of Medicine
14. Emory University School of Medicine
15. Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
16. VCU
17. EVMS
18. Ohio State
19. Cincinnati
20. Saint Louis
21. USF
22. Miami
23. Creighton
24. Temple
25. Hackensack
26. Quinnipiac
27. Western Michigan
28. Wake
 
Status
Not open for further replies.