Research vs. Extracurriculars for University Applications

Which would increase competitive college acceptance rates more?

• Taking Advanced Problems in Science

• Better SAT score and better extra curricular participation

Results are only viewable after voting.

R2ski2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
URGENT! I NEED TO CHOOSE CLASSES VERY SOON- please help:)
I'm going into my junior year of high school. There is a class called Advanced Problems in Science where you spend the whole year working on and publishing an in-depth science project. Doing really well on your project can get you recognition in your state, or even nationally.

My question is if it would be better to take this class with a chance of doing really well and get colleges to notice me, or take an easier class with time to do extracurriculars and study (including for the SAT)? Which pathway would give me a better chance of being accepted into a more competitive school?

I'm not sure if I can maintain my 4.0 gpa if I take this science course, let alone have time to study for other classes/SAT.

I guess I'm asking if it's more impressive to have research and publishing done as a high school student, or extracurriculars/volunteer and a better SAT score? I don't have time to do ALL of it, and I want to follow both pathways equally as much. I just need a little advice from SDN members. Thanks for your time and responses, in advance! :)

Here are my two full-course options (changed courses are in red):
With Advanced Problems in Science
IB English
Honors Pre-Calc
IB Social Studies History of the Americas
IB Spanish Year 4
IB Biology Year 1
Advanced Problems in Science
Physics 1

With Easier Course or Study Hall
IB English
Honors Pre-Calc
IB Social Studies History of the Americas
IB Spanish Year 4
IB Biology Year 1
Advanced Finance/Study Hall/Easy Course
Physics 1 or Chemistry 2

Members don't see this ad.

Much like any academic process, your SAT scores will be weighed much more heavily. Do well on your SATs, you'll find most success there. Good luck.

Agree. You have plenty of time for research and publishing. If you feel you really have to choose, then choose the schedule which allows you adequate SAT/extracurricular time. You already have a schedule full of IB courses so your coursework is already impressive. SATs/extracurriculars will add to making you come across as well-rounded on college applications, not just a one-trick academic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally would rather have research, a high MCAT, and maybe break a 4.0 (a few B's won't kill you). Agree that MCAT is very important, though, and you know your own goals and values better than I do.

I personally would rather have research, a high MCAT[/QUOT

Thank you @AttemptingScholar for the response! But I'm not sure if you know that I'm actually going into my junior year of high school, not college. If you thought I was in college, is your answer still the same now that you know I'm in high school?

Thank you @AttemptingScholar for the response! But I'm not sure if you know that I'm actually going into my junior year of high school, not college. If you thought I was in college, is your answer still the same now that you know I'm in high school?
Sorry, I meant SAT! My asnwer stands (and is also true for college). Again, I am just one person and not a member of an admissions committee so grain of salt.