Retakes at a City College for md school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatAboutWho

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody.

I am a recent graduate with a good upward trend in my last 70 or so units, which were also heavy in the sciences .
Unfortunately, my freshman and beginning sophomore year were not so hot.

I was thinking about taking courses at the local city college in my town and was wondering what classes you would recommend.

Since I did get a C in gen chem 1/2, would you recommend retaking that (tho I managed B+ in orgo 1/2 and bchem w/ As in lab). --I am aware of the osteo grade replacement policy and how it depends on the school now, but I am also interested in how this would look to allo schools--.

I have already taken a lot of the traditional post-bacc classes during my undergrad and have gotten As including human anatomy, human a&p, microbiology, virology, pharmacology, neuro, endo, genetics, etc.
I am interested in psychology and was thinking about taking some courses such as abnormal psychology, but what wondering what the adcoms would think about low level courses post-graduation.

edit, I have been looking around the forum to see what other ppl have done, but their course recommendations are always high level sciences (things that I have a lot of).

Members don't see this ad.

Since I did get a C in gen chem 1/2, would you recommend retaking that (tho I managed B+ in orgo 1/2 and bchem w/ As in lab). --I am aware of the osteo grade replacement policy and how it depends on the school now, but I am also interested in how this would look to allo schools--.
No, it's not in your interest to retake anything for which you earned a C or better -- even a prereq. If you do, both grades will be averaged into your AMCAS GPA, so getting a better grade still won't make the original one go away...but adcoms will expect an A the second time since you've already had the material once.

What were your cGPA and sGPA at graduation?

1. First: What are your stats?
2. Most small CCs do not offer many science classes.
3. Depends what GPA you need to raise.
4. Psychology and Sociology may be helpful if you have not taken MCAT
--I am aware of the osteo grade replacement policy and how it depends on the school now, but I am also interested in how this would look to allo schools--.
I don't think it will be an option at any school for the next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you haven't already take biochemistry and molecular biology for the mcat.

Thanks for the quick replies!
Unfortunately my cGPA and sGPAs both stand at a little under 3.4
However, my last 70 units have seen marked improvement (past 4 semesters 3.7, 3.8, 3.95, 3.9).
and my last 61 units of BPCM sciences are an avg of 3.75.

I am planning on taking the MCAT in january, and have been studying and am aware that I need to do phenomenally good do have a shot.
Looks like taking a class or two won't help your GPA anymore. You have excellent GPA trend. That is more than enough. Now, wait for the MCAT.

If you are taking MCAT in January, taking classes in the spring won't help you. If you just want to stay busy, stay involved in good EC's and/or take a course or two.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you @PashaOdesit,
According to my calculations, taking and getting As in 2 classes will be enough to push my cGPA (and sGPA depending on the class) above the 3.4 line, would you recommend this?
Or would adcoms look down upon these lower level sciences.

edit. Also, i have already taken cellular and molecular biology (As)

Or would adcoms look down upon these lower level sciences.
I don't think so since you have great GPA trend. Your BS degree and core classes were done at 4-year, so couple classes shouldn't be a problem, though some MD schools might not accept them. Are you planning to apply to DO schools too?

EDIT: If you plan to take some intro/basic science courses at CC, it might not look good though. Taking a course like Pathology or Pathophysiology is better.
According to my calculations, taking and getting As in 2 classes will be enough to push my cGPA (and sGPA depending on the class)
Based on the science classes you have already taken, I doubt you will find many other science course options at CC anyways. Taking some other courses might be good to keep you busy.

Thanks for the advice,
I am planning to both DO and MD.
The sciences courses that I haven't taken that would count towards the BPCM (at least I think they do)
would be things like Marine Biology and Zoology.
Other than that I was thinking like abnormal psych (which unfortunately isn't BPCM) and social psych, which interest me.

And of course, volunteering and ECs.

That is incorrect. Marine Biology is most certainly a biological science and will be counted in AMCAS as part of BCPM
That's correct. I don't even know why I wrote that they will take Zoology only.

Thanks for correction.

So would you recommend taking another full load semester at a CC?
Sorry, i am working on my CARS skills as well.