This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone expand on the final year clinicals a bit? Are you guaranteed to get one of your choices for placements in the US? or is it fairly random and the school chooses for you? I have an offer to start in May, but am really worried about a) living on an island for 2 years and b) how choosing Ross could affect my job opportunities for the future. But, the shortened time till graduation is a real thing for me to consider...
I got the incentive email as well and I was planning on starting in the Fall so I jumped on it because $10,000 is $10,000 and I would get done sooner.

With clinical year you are guaranteed to get in SOMEWHERE, but not necessarily where you pick. It depends on the amount of people wanting to go to where you choose and the amount of people already in that school's program. I read earlier today that NZ didnt have any seats for clinics this last go round so that's something to be aware of. One of my doctors who went to Ross ended up at Oklahoma and she definitely didn't want or pick to go there, she said she thinks she might have pissed off the guy in charge of placing students, but who knows.

I dont think jobs will look at your schooling from Ross and go ewww no. If you pass the NAVLE that's all that matters. There is still a stigma with Ross, but the more vets that come out of there and land jobs where they can derail that stigma the better. Plus, if your employer or the person you want to be employed by doesnt hire you because you went to Ross 1. Shame on them 2. Maybe better to not have to deal with their crappy mentality anyways.

As far as the island goes there are students that love it and students that hate it. Vet school is hard no matter where you go. I'd rather be doing it on an island. The biggest draw back for me with Ross is the cost and honestly I think that should be mostly everyone's perspective. It's a great school. If you start in May rather than waiting you will get done sooner and for 1st semester it will be online at least for half that semester. The idea of moving mid semester doesnt sound pleasant to me, so me and my SO are trying to get things in order to go out before class starts if cargo ban opens up for our pups.

Just my perspective of things, hope it helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone expand on the final year clinicals a bit? Are you guaranteed to get one of your choices for placements in the US? or is it fairly random and the school chooses for you? I have an offer to start in May, but am really worried about a) living on an island for 2 years and b) how choosing Ross could affect my job opportunities for the future. But, the shortened time till graduation is a real thing for me to consider...
Hi, current 5th semester here.
We actually have a mandatory 5th semester meeting on clinical placement this Friday. Basically the way it works is that around 6th I believe you’ll get told basically what schools will be available for you to chose from since certain schools don’t take certain semesters so like one school may not take clinical students starting in august and another may not take students starting clinics in January. Typically first semester you’ll have a meeting on the basics like the general schools available and min GPA and max amount of fails each school will take, some schools won’t take you if you fail a class, others will take you if you fail two classes. Some schools will take you as long as you have a 2.0 some schools require at least a 2.5 and a few are higher than that.
So the way it works is you’ll get more the final options accepting students from your semester I believe during 6th or very early 7th. You’ll sit down and talk to the professor who deals with clinical placement about where your looking, why and do you meet the requirements. Then at the beginning of 7th you’ll submit your top 4 choices to the whoever is in charge of clinical placement and most people get placed at one of those schools. A few exceptions are if you pick schools where you don’t meet the criteria I.e GPA is too low or you failed a class and that school doesn’t take fails you might get placed somewhere random, or if you lose your clinical choice which basically happens if you have to many situations where you’re “unprofessional” and they’ll talk more about what that means at the beginning of first. The last exception would be too many people in your semester want to go to a couple schools and unfortunately you didn’t make the cut.
In terms of getting a job 99% of places don’t care if you went to a Caribbean school as we are AVMA accredited. So honestly it doesn’t make a difference. There’s actually places that only/prefer to hire rossies. So there’s certainly no harm in going to Ross in terms of career or residency prospects.

When I was looking into making my deposit I saw there’s an initial and a final deposit? If you applied for the Fall 2021 semester can you pay both up until April 15th or is there a different deadline for the initial deposit of $500?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was looking into making my deposit I saw there’s an initial and a final deposit? If you applied for the Fall 2021 semester can you pay both up until April 15th or is there a different deadline for the initial deposit of $500?
I saw something about $500 for one thing and then $500 for something else as well. But, when I went to pay it online it did request $1000 through the portal. My student coordinators also stated a few times that it's $1000. I would ask your student coordinator, but I'm assuming it's the full $1000 by April 15th for Fall semester.

I saw something about $500 for one thing and then $500 for something else as well. But, when I went to pay it online it did request $1000 through the portal. My student coordinators also stated a few times that it's $1000. I would ask your student coordinator, but I'm assuming it's the full $1000 by April 15th for Fall semester.
Okay awesome, thank you!

Kinda random, what iPad model was given with the welcome package?