SGU c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any advice for interviews? Also any idea on how difficult getting a labrador down to grenada would be. He has to go where I go and I'm having so much anxiety about the amount of dogs that die in cargo.
My interview was really relaxed! My interviewer was a SGU grad and she was awesome. Brag about yourself!! That's really what the interview is all about, show them why you would be an awesome vet! Some basic questions were asked such as how you have done in a team setting, etc. so have some answered prepped. You can google basic veterinary interview questions, but don't over-prepare and just be yourself!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This may be off topic, but pending I get accepted into vet school, I’d like to get the 3 people that wrote me LORs a thank you gift. I couldn’t think of a better group to ask! Do y’all have any ideas/suggestions?

This may be off topic, but pending I get accepted into vet school, I’d like to get the 3 people that wrote me LORs a thank you gift. I couldn’t think of a better group to ask! Do y’all have any ideas/suggestions?
I have one mentor I always buy a bottle of scotch, I owe him two since covid started. And for Christmas I got my vet lor a magic wand for those difficult clients who want diagnosis without diagnostics and a coffee mug that says I can't fix stupid but I can sedate it. Guess it depends on the personality of your recommenders. I've also given maple syrup and jams as gifts for an easy "I don't know what you like" gift.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got mine a nice coffee mug and a gift card!

anyone hear anything as of lately? Haven't heard anything all week.

I got offered an interview after them having my application for only 4 days! Hoping that's a good sign!

Will be declining my seat for fall 2021- hoping that opens things up for someone else! Good luck!

I just got accepted to sgu!! I’m on the waiting list for august since august is full. I did get accepted to the 4 year program and placed in the academic enhancement program for my first term. Does anyone know if the AEP is different than vet foundations? I’m assuming so since it says I was accepted into the 4 year dvm program. I’m so excited and can’t wait for this journey!!

Reactions: 5 users
I just got accepted to sgu!! I’m on the waiting list for august since august is full. I did get accepted to the 4 year program and placed in the academic enhancement program for my first term. Does anyone know if the AEP is different than vet foundations? I’m assuming so since it says I was accepted into the 4 year dvm program. I’m so excited and can’t wait for this journey!!
I was also accepted into the AEP! It’s basically just extra resources to help you excel academically so no extra courses like the Foundation program! You start in the DVM program and just have some extra study tools and sessions at your disposal!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! The AEP just means that you have to attend 2 peer learning groups every week for 2 specific classes of your choice that you think you might want extra help in. I was in AEP and it is only for your first semester. So I chose anatomy and you have an upper term student going over things with you and 7 other people (they try to keep them in closed small groups). The other peer learning session is usually any other classes that you'd want extra study tips or have questions on material (this session is open to everyone, so usually has more people). I really enjoyed it because it was nice to have an upper term student going over the material and it makes you have that hour dedicated to studying for that class.

Congrats! The AEP just means that you have to attend 2 peer learning groups every week for 2 specific classes of your choice that you think you might want extra help in. I was in AEP and it is only for your first semester. So I chose anatomy and you have an upper term student going over things with you and 7 other people (they try to keep them in closed small groups). The other peer learning session is usually any other classes that you'd want extra study tips or have questions on material (this session is open to everyone, so usually has more people). I really enjoyed it because it was nice to have an upper term student going over the material and it makes you have that hour dedicated to studying for that class.
Thanks for more information! I appreciate any extra helpful resources especially in the dvm program!!

I was also accepted into the AEP! It’s basically just extra resources to help you excel academically so no extra courses like the Foundation program! You start in the DVM program and just have some extra study tools and sessions at your disposal!
Awesome! Maybe we will be in some groups together! Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I will hear today. When did you guys interview?

Did they say what number on the waitlist? Is there any chance for people to still start in August?

I wonder what percentage of applicants SGU rejects. I don't feel like people are transparent on SDN about rejections which I get but also its anonymous and I want to know haha. I feel like it's weird no one wants to admit that they got rejected from a "lower tier" ??? I want there to be more solidarity online bc a lot of times this website can feel so braggy (and yes I know I got accepted here but I posted all my rejections too and would have also posted if I were rejected here).

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder what percentage of applicants SGU rejects. I don't feel like people are transparent on SDN about rejections which I get but also its anonymous and I want to know haha. I feel like it's weird no one wants to admit that they got rejected from a "lower tier" ??? I want there to be more solidarity online bc a lot of times this website can feel so braggy (and yes I know I got accepted here but I posted all my rejections too and would have also posted if I were rejected here).
It kills me to look on SDN and APVMA Facebook page sometimes lol it’s hard seeing people get accepted to the same schools you were rejected from, especially when you have similar stats 🙃 this whole process is a crapshoot and I truly believe we all end up where we’re meant to be!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I just interviewed yesterday and Krista confirmed that the fall class was full and new acceptances are more than likely moving to the January class

I also wonder this too. I feel like most get accepted or waitlisted and I never hear about rejections

just spoke to Krista. for anyone who has not heard back yet, she said it is any day now that we will hear from them.

just got accepted into the Veterinary Foundation Program for August!! anyone who has any info, please send it my way!!

Can’t believe I get to post this, I got accepted into the 4 year program to start in January and was placed in the academic enhancement program for the first term! Can’t wait to meet everyone on the island!!

Can’t believe I get to post this, I got accepted into the 4 year program to start in January and was placed in the academic enhancement program for the first term! Can’t wait to meet everyone on the island!!
When did you interview?
I am waiting patiently. I hope I don't get a rejection!

Just declined my seat for fall 2021, I am sure many of you are going to be pulled off the waitlist!

Just noticed SGU raised their tuition? I’m not 100% but they added a new tuition template online and it’s more expensive than the other one that was posted. It says med but I think it applies to vet med too?

Just noticed SGU raised their tuition? I’m not 100% but they added a new tuition template online and it’s more expensive than the other one that was posted. It says med but I think it applies to vet med too?
If you google sgu svm tuition, one of the first results is the schools official website showing the tuition and other fees for every semester for veterinary medicine specific. The med school can have different prices because they are on island for 5 semesters instead of 6 like the vet students.

• Love
my FAFSA was processed in January but I was wondering if anyone knows when we will get official communication about the financial aid we are receiving for SGU? All my FAFSA told me was the type of loan/estimate of the $ I might get
The school will send you an email closer to summer about filling out documents for loans and it will tell you how much the semester/year will cost. You can either request the full amount that they recommend or you can accept less if you don't think you'll need the full amount (which you usually don't need the full amount).

What’s the verdict of whether classes will be on the island? I’m such a planner and not knowing is stressful because it’s gonna be such a big change!

What’s the verdict of whether classes will be on the island? I’m such a planner and not knowing is stressful because it’s gonna be such a big change!
They will not be releasing any decisions until May on whether or not classes will be in person.

I took myself off the August waitlist and just paid my deposit for January!

How long after putting a deposit down did you get your sgu email!
I havent gotten my email yet and have paid a deposit, however I am on the waitlist for August so it may differ. ALso, came here to say that I love your profile pic! I have a herd of zebu cattle that I am obsessed with, theyre the sweetest souls!

I am on the waitlist too, #50 . If I paid a spot for August does it roll over to Jan if I change my mind and wait for Jan?
Yeah it should roll over! According to Krista the deposit is based on when you applied anyways. So since we originally applied for August, our deposit will be valid for August or January

I am still waiting a decision but could someone tell me how much the deposit is?

I havent gotten my email yet and have paid a deposit, however I am on the waitlist for August so it may differ. ALso, came here to say that I love your profile pic! I have a herd of zebu cattle that I am obsessed with, theyre the sweetest souls!
I was also on the waiting list for august but I actually emailed Krista and shifted my start date to the January 2022 start date so I’ll prob get my email info closer to the start of term! I love cattle of all different breeds but zebu specifically!!