youstinatutti

2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi Everyone!

Congrats on making it this far into your DVM journey!

I haven't seen a forum made for St. George's University yet, so I figured I'd kick one off. I know that they have begun interviewing for those who are starting either Spring 2021 or Fall 2021. I, personally, just wrapped up my interview this past week and am now waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed!

Out of curiosity, has anyone applied to their GVH Program? It's a newer program from what I've heard but there isn't too much info on it.

Reactions: 1 user

Kes729

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2017
Just received an interview invite this morning!! Waiting to hear back on a date and time, I’m so excited, but I have a million questions! It’s a zoom interview, but I read previous forums about an essay?! What types of questions should I expect? How long do you have to write the essay? Can you move your application start date up if you are accepted? (For example if you wanted to start in January instead of August is that allowed?) thank you in advance!

About the Ads

Missxfurr

SGU c/o 2023
2+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Just received an interview invite this morning!! Waiting to hear back on a date and time, I’m so excited, but I have a million questions! It’s a zoom interview, but I read previous forums about an essay?! What types of questions should I expect? How long do you have to write the essay? Can you move your application start date up if you are accepted? (For example if you wanted to start in January instead of August is that allowed?) thank you in advance!
Unless they changed things from the past couple years they did not have an essay portion of the interview. You're interviewer knows nothing about you so the interview is mostly for them to get to know you. They have a set list of questions to ask you that the school sends them. They ask typical questions like what are your strengths and weaknesses, how do you plan on paying for school, do you have any weaknesses in you're application that you'd want to discuss. It's usually a very laid back interview. For the moving of start dates that depends on what one you picked for your application and if you want to move it you would have to email admissions about that.

Kes729

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2017
Unless they changed things from the past couple years they did not have an essay portion of the interview. You're interviewer knows nothing about you so the interview is mostly for them to get to know you. They have a set list of questions to ask you that the school sends them. They ask typical questions like what are your strengths and weaknesses, how do you plan on paying for school, do you have any weaknesses in you're application that you'd want to discuss. It's usually a very laid back interview. For the moving of start dates that depends on what one you picked for your application and if you want to move it you would have to email admissions about that.

Thanks for the information, the forum I read was probably from about 4-5 years ago! So I’m happy to hear there is no longer an essay!!! I really just couldn’t find much that was very recent when I was looking for interview info! Appreciate the response!

EngrSC

VMCVM c/o 2024!
7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2012
Right Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Thanks for the information, the forum I read was probably from about 4-5 years ago! So I’m happy to hear there is no longer an essay!!! I really just couldn’t find much that was very recent when I was looking for interview info! Appreciate the response!
I interviewed last cycle and it was very pleasant! It was about an hour in length and I wasn’t asked any curveball questions. They asked about me, what I’ve done, my strengths/weaknesses, etc. There was time at the end for me to ask my interviewer questions and I asked what she felt were the strengths of SGU’s program and a bit about her career (she was working in more of a non-traditional role). Just be yourself and you’ll be fine!

Kes729

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2017
I interviewed last cycle and it was very pleasant! It was about an hour in length and I wasn’t asked any curveball questions. They asked about me, what I’ve done, my strengths/weaknesses, etc. There was time at the end for me to ask my interviewer questions and I asked what she felt were the strengths of SGU’s program and a bit about her career (she was working in more of a non-traditional role). Just be yourself and you’ll be fine!

Thank you for the information!!! I always tend to work myself up so much!!!

Jben101

SGU c/o 2025
May 30, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hey everyone! I interviewed back in July for the Spring 2021 and got in! I am so excited!! I really hope the campus can open back up for the spring semester.

Reactions: 2 users

Kes729

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2017
Hey everyone! I interviewed back in July for the Spring 2021 and got in! I am so excited!! I really hope the campus can open back up for the spring semester.

Would you mind sharing some information about your zoom interview!? Length, questions, anything in particular you learned about the school... etc thanks!

therisingvet

Sep 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hey everyone! Just did my interview yesterday! Seemed like it went well! We talked for about an hour. She asked me about my strengths, weaknesses, animal experiences, undergraduate degree, motivation for becoming a vet, and what lead me to SGU. I also learned that you get a ton of surgical experience at SGU! She said I should hear back within a week or so from admissions. Hopeful! :)

Jben101

SGU c/o 2025
May 30, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Would you mind sharing some information about your zoom interview!? Length, questions, anything, in particular, you learned about the school... etc thanks!
So it lasted an hour but 15 minutes of it was me asking questions. The alumni answered all my questions, I mainly asked about being on the island, and the advice she had for new students. Funny story, the first alumni who was scheduled to do my interview water broke the morning of my interview so I got someone else lol. But both of them were really nice during the pre-interview corresponding. Idk if they all do this, but the person interviewing me sent me a couple of questions she was going to ask but wanted me to prepare for them. It was about strengths and weaknesses.
I had looked up a bunch of interview questions beforehand and made a word document trying to answer as much as I could to prepare.

futuredogtor13

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I got accepted for Fall 2021 and couldn’t be any more excited! It has been such a long journey. Good luck to everyone and hopefully we can meet on the island next year! :happy:

Reactions: 1 users

nikkikayy

Sep 13, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I just received the invite for a zoom interview this morning! I am soo excited. Waiting to schedule a day and time now! Glad this forum is here, so very helpful! I am applying and interviewing for Fall 2021 entry.

About the Ads

kittykat127

Apr 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi everyone! I just got an invitation to interview at St. Georges and I am so thankful and super nervous for this opportunity! I know it doesn't mean I have a spot but I did have a few questions!
1. Does anyone know how many people on average they interview out of all their candidates?
2. What is the interview like? I am totally unprepared and mine is in less than 2 weeks.
3. If you are invited for an interview do you think its a really good sign of possibly getting in? I know its not the best phrased question but I don't know if they already decided if they want to accept someone or not before an interview like certain schools.
Thank you!!!

youstinatutti

2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi everyone! I just got an invitation to interview at St. Georges and I am so thankful and super nervous for this opportunity! I know it doesn't mean I have a spot but I did have a few questions!
1. Does anyone know how many people on average they interview out of all their candidates?
2. What is the interview like? I am totally unprepared and mine is in less than 2 weeks.
3. If you are invited for an interview do you think its a really good sign of possibly getting in? I know its not the best phrased question but I don't know if they already decided if they want to accept someone or not before an interview like certain schools.
Thank you!!!

Hi there!
I attended a virtual fair and spoke to Krista (an admissions coordinator) and asked these questions when I first applied! She stated that:
1. Almost all applicants get an interview. She said they utilize the interview in their decisions for a more holistic acceptance and it weighs a good amount. They don't really look too deep into your application when you first apply (as in they look if you meet the minimum gpa, you have the correct LORs, minimum shadowing experience, and a good GRE score) then offer an interview. Once the admissions committee gets the feedback from your interview, then they start really looking at your app.

2. Someone previously stated the questions that was asked and how their interview went. I'd refer back to those and previous SGU forums because they're all pretty accurate. The main ones they ask are your strengths and weaknesses, why vet?, and this one really tripped me up for some reason, but I didn't think that they would ask me about the other schools I applied to and where I was in their application process... I felt like my privacy was invaded or something lol (even though it wasn't a big deal at all). They also ask how you expect to pay for vet school. Questions like those. I do disagree with alot of the people who posted about their interviews saying it was such a chill experience. I really thought mine would be, but it was quite the opposite. I think it depends on the alumni who interviews you. My interviewer had no mercy or chill LOL. She was very straight forward, stern, and definitely made me feel on edge rather than comfortable. It also wasn't "conversational" as other people stated. It was her asking me questions, me answering, then a moment of silence as she typed her notes and my response, then her asking another question. She gave no sort of feedback on my responses (no head nods, nothing). I will say though, there was only one response that sparked some tiny feedback. One of the questions I was asked is if there were any issues in the veterinary industry that I was aware of and what I would do to change it and what controversial topics in the veterinary industry I was aware of. I discussed veterinarians ranking the second highest profession in the U.S., right behind police officers in terms of suicide and the whole "grain-free" diet fad and how it has actually been linked to DCM. She was impressed that I knew this info. and that was the only time I got feedback... She said most of the people she's interviewed discussed euthanasia and she that I discussed something different with some statistics to support my answer.

3. It is a great sign that you'll get in. From what I've learned, they accept and interview ~88% of applicants (per Krista). To this day, I haven't met anyone who interviewed and got rejected. I think you really have to mess up in order to be rejected. Even if you do "mess up", they are not quick to reject you. They're really lenient and will just place you in their Vet Foundations Program as opposed to starting right away. So essentially, you're just interviewing to end up either in Vet Foundations or actually start directly into the program as opposed to straight rejection. Although, do not get me wrong, you can definitely still get rejected after the interview, it's just super uncommon.

• Love

VetMoon28

Sep 7, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hello everyone! :) I'm a 3rd time applicant and this is my first attempt at SGU. I just finished up my interview. I was told I'd probably hear back in 6-8 weeks. How's everyone doing?

vetsquared

UMN CVM c/o 2025!
Aug 17, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hello everyone! :) I'm a 3rd time applicant and this is my first attempt at SGU. I just finished up my interview. I was told I'd probably hear back in 6-8 weeks. How's everyone doing?
Good luck this cycle! I hope the third time's the charm for you! I have my interview on Monday and I'm really hoping it goes well. SGU is the first school I've heard back from.

VetMoon28

Sep 7, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Good luck this cycle! I hope the third time's the charm for you! I have my interview on Monday and I'm really hoping it goes well. SGU is the first school I've heard back from.
Thank you! I hope it is too. Good luck with your interview. Mine was more conversational but I was still pretty nervous.

vetsquared

UMN CVM c/o 2025!
Aug 17, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I had my interview this morning! I got more information about the timeline and why everyone is hearing back at different lengths of time past their interview. My interviewer told me that the admissions committee meets every six weeks and reviews the interview feedback from everyone in that six-week period. So if you interview during the first week of that cycle, it'll be a while before you hear back, but people who interview during the sixth week will hear back really quickly. Unfortunately she didn't know where we are within that six weeks right now, but it at least explains the differences between when people hear back.

kittykat127

Apr 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I had my interview this morning! I got more information about the timeline and why everyone is hearing back at different lengths of time past their interview. My interviewer told me that the admissions committee meets every six weeks and reviews the interview feedback from everyone in that six-week period. So if you interview during the first week of that cycle, it'll be a while before you hear back, but people who interview during the sixth week will hear back really quickly. Unfortunately she didn't know where we are within that six weeks right now, but it at least explains the differences between when people hear back.
So I just had my interview last night and emailed me today that the committee is getting together this upcoming week! They also told me 6-8 weeks so I don't know when I should hear back either.

About the Ads

vetsquared

UMN CVM c/o 2025!
Aug 17, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
So I just had my interview last night and emailed me today that the committee is getting together this upcoming week! They also told me 6-8 weeks so I don't know when I should hear back either.
Yay, I hope your interview went well!! Hopefully we hear back soon then! I've never felt so impatient before and I can't imagine waiting another 6-8 weeks haha

youstinatutti

2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Yay, I hope your interview went well!! Hopefully we hear back soon then! I've never felt so impatient before and I can't imagine waiting another 6-8 weeks haha
Idk if this is any consolation, but they've been really good with the 6 weeks timeline due to COVID since majority of them are doing stuff from home! I found out 6 weeks exactly, maybe even 6 weeks and a day.

Eragon8192

Aug 16, 2020
Congratulations!!! When did you interview and what were your stats?
TY!!! My interview was September 2 (I believe) and I have 3.58 cum, 3.51 science, 3.53 last 45, GRE super average like 151 reading, 149 quant, and 4.5 writing

Reactions: 3 users

kittykat127

Apr 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
TY!!! My interview was September 2 (I believe) and I have 3.58 cum, 3.51 science, 3.53 last 45, GRE super average like 151 reading, 149 quant, and 4.5 writing
That is incredible!! Congratulations!! I interviewed on October 1st so I am currently waiting to hear back!

Kes729

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2017
So received an email late last night that I was accepted.. kind of? I was granted acceptance into the veterinary foundation program. I have so many questions! I didn't apply for this, I didn't see it even mentioned on the vmcas when I double-checked last night after receiving my email, and there's also no explanation of why I was accepted into this pre-vet program over regular veterinary admissions. It looks like you have to take 17 credits undergrad science courses at the school for 1 semester then take an exam like the SATs afterwords :vomit: Then you are granted acceptance? Has this happened to anyone else? If I don't do this am I denied? I interviewed 9/9 and received via email 10/15 around 10pm for anyone that is going to ask :)

kittykat127

Apr 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
So received an email late last night that I was accepted.. kind of? I was granted acceptance into the veterinary foundation program. I have so many questions! I didn't apply for this, I didn't see it even mentioned on the vmcas when I double-checked last night after receiving my email, and there's also no explanation of why I was accepted into this pre-vet program over regular veterinary admissions. It looks like you have to take 17 credits undergrad science courses at the school for 1 semester then take an exam like the SATs afterwords :vomit: Then you are granted acceptance? Has this happened to anyone else? If I don't do this am I denied? I interviewed 9/9 and received via email 10/15 around 10pm for anyone that is going to ask :)
I am currently waiting to hear back about my email. When did you interview? Also I heard about it because my interviewer talked about how they divide students up between regular admissions and their vet prep course. From my understanding if you pass that then you get to enter the DVM curriculum!

Kes729

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2017
I am currently waiting to hear back about my email. When did you interview? Also I heard about it because my interviewer talked about how they divide students up between regular admissions and their vet prep course. From my understanding if you pass that then you get to enter the DVM curriculum!

Your interviewer told you about this program? There’s not a ton of info on the website :( Is there anyway to get bumped up from this? I noted in my post I interviewed 9/9. I was so happy when I started reading the email and then was like, oooh...

About the Ads

Missxfurr

SGU c/o 2023
2+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
So the admissions committee puts people in the foundations program if they think you might struggle starting off right into vet classes based on your transcripts/GRE score or depending on how long you've been out of college. It's not something you can apply for since the admissions committee controls who they decide to go into the program. As far as I know the admissions committee will not change their decision on placement into the foundations program, but you can probably email Krista for more info. I did not personally do the foundations program, but a lot of people in my class did it and they did fine and think it really helped them adjust to the curriculum and island life. The test you take at the end of the program is over everything you were taught during the semester. You do have to pay for tuition on your own or through private loans so it is a little bit expensive. The types of classes you would take for this are biochemistry, vet physiology, vet anatomy and a few others I don't remember. If you have any other questions let me know and I can try to answer them!

Chiblits

May 29, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Good afternoon everyone,

I just received an interview invitation from SGU! :woot: I am so excited yet nervous at the same time. Despite all of the opportunities I've had in my life to gain veterinary experience I have honestly and never truly had a formal interview before. I have no idea what to expect and I just keep thinking about what if there is a question I can't answer or what if I mess something up?

Does anyone have any tips or for those who completed the interview, how was it overall? Was it more getting to know you or seeing what you know (or both)?

I better start practicing :eek:

VetMoon28

Sep 7, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Good afternoon everyone,

I just received an interview invitation from SGU! :woot: I am so excited yet nervous at the same time. Despite all of the opportunities I've had in my life to gain veterinary experience I have honestly and never truly had a formal interview before. I have no idea what to expect and I just keep thinking about what if there is a question I can't answer or what if I mess something up?

Does anyone have any tips or for those who completed the interview, how was it overall? Was it more getting to know you or seeing what you know (or both)?

Mine was pretty conversational and it was a blind interview that lasted about an hour. My interviewer asked about strengths and weaknesses (both academically and personally), how I planned to pay for school, if I've lived on my own or been to an island, etc. A coworker of mine currently goes to SGU and she was asked more clinical/situational questions when she interviewed maybe 2-3 years ago. As far as tips go, I did a mock interview with one of my vets. I'd also say be yourself and come up with questions to ask your interviewer.

vetsquared

UMN CVM c/o 2025!
Aug 17, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Good afternoon everyone,

The first half of my interview was the “formal” portion in which my interviewer asked the list of questions sent from the school, which were basically all listed earlier in this thread. No real surprises or curveballs, just questions about me and no knowledge-based questions. The second half was conversational and an opportunity to ask questions. My interviewer said that one of the things they are specifically looking for is whether you would be able to make it on the island, so I asked her questions about island life in addition to questions about the school. It was closed file, about an hour, and pretty low-stress.

thefuturedogtorpaige

Oct 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I just had my interview for St. George's Fall 2021 DVM Program today :) My interviewer was super laid back and it was not nearly as stressful as many US schools make the process out to be. Good luck to everyone. If people have questions, feel free to reply and I'll get back to you when I can.

vetsquared

UMN CVM c/o 2025!
Aug 17, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I interviewed exactly four weeks ago and I am so anxious to hear back! I was told it would be four-six weeks for a decision, so I’m crossing my fingers I hear this week and don’t have to wait another two weeks

kittykat127

Apr 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Has anyone heard back recently? I interviewed on October 1st and I am super anxious!

jackfrost21

LMU CVM c/o 2025
Aug 12, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I interviewed the last week of September and am still waiting to hear back. My interviewer believed it wouldn't take but a few weeks so I'm getting very anxious!

dvm98

Sep 11, 2019
Has anyone heard back recently? I interviewed on October 1st and I am super anxious!

I interviewed September 17th and was accepted a few weeks back. Last week they also offered me a seat in the January class but I’m waiting until august so I can hear back from other schools!

youstinatutti

2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I interviewed exactly four weeks ago and I am so anxious to hear back! I was told it would be four-six weeks for a decision, so I’m crossing my fingers I hear this week and don’t have to wait another two weeks
They typically don't respond until 6 weeks even if they tell you 4 weeks. You're extra lucky if you hear back after four weeks actually LOL

thefuturedogtorpaige

Oct 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I'm good! I just wanted to give you props for never giving up on your dream. I wish you nothing but the best! :)

egh5047

Oct 13, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi everyone! Accepted for fall 2021- waiting to hear back from other schools but excited to maybe meet some of you on the island next year! Good luck to everyone interviewing!!

Reactions: 4 users

tsjdw81

Oct 10, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi everyone! Accepted for fall 2021- waiting to hear back from other schools but excited to maybe meet some of you on the island next year! Good luck to everyone interviewing!!

Congrats! When did you interview?

jackfrost21

LMU CVM c/o 2025
Aug 12, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hey guys! I recently got an email from SGU Admissions asking me to set up my online/email portal and it says "Congratulations and welcome to St. George's." When I log in it says "accepted student" but I haven't received a formal acceptance from the Veterinary School. Is this normal?

egh5047

Oct 13, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hey guys! I recently got an email from SGU Admissions asking me to set up my online/email portal and it says "Congratulations and welcome to St. George's." When I log in it says "accepted student" but I haven't received a formal acceptance from the Veterinary School. Is this normal?
That’s interesting! I didn’t get an email to set up my account until a few weeks after I was accepted! Maybe your formal acceptance is coming soon??

VetMoon28

Sep 7, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Just checked my email and I got accepted into the Fall 2021 semester! I'm so excited! :banana: I interviewed on 9/26 and my interview materials were submitted on 9/28.

Reactions: 6 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.