This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lokey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my 2nd year of college. In the beginning of my college life, I had a strong interest to study in the field of computers and become and IT. My current major is Computer and Information Technology - Software. Just recently my thoughts were swayed and now I have a strong interest to go to Medical School and study to become an MD.

Should I continue with my current major since I am on track or should I abandon that ship and change my major to biology? Would the change of my major increase my chances of getting into medical school or would nothing change at all? I am willing to drop my current major in order to take the best path to become a medical doctor.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

What recently made you interested in medicine? If it is something that you are truly interested in, I would say go for it! If you haven't already, shadow some doctors to get insight into what being a physician is truly like. You could even volunteer somewhere like a hospital to gain exposure to help you determine if this is for sure something that you want.

I have read on here before and heard from my pre-med advisor, that it really doesn't matter what your major is. I know someone who recently got accepted to an amazing med school and his major was music education. The main thing to do (regardless of your major) is to get in all of the classes that you need in order to be successful on the MCAT.

I hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck!