This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maggie421

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

So I'm applying MD and am really only concerned about my grades in Orgo 1 and 2. My school does lab and lecture separately so for Orgo 1 I ended up with a C+ in lecture (3 credit hours) and an A- in lab (1 credit). For Orgo 2, I had a C in lecture (3 credits) and an A in lab (1 credit). I feel as though the lecture grades are what are really going to stick out.

I'm just concerned that I should try and retake these courses. My overall GPA is 3.73, and my science GPA varies whether I include classes outside of Physics, Orgo, Gen Chem, Gen Bio, and Biochem. Wasn't 100% sure on what the protocol was for science GPA calculations.

Anyways, any help anyone could give me would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, in this forum. Retaking a class is never recommended in whatever circumstances.
There are many reasons for that. One kind of opinion I've heard is that retaking shows an inability to deal with the perfectionism, and medical schools seem not want these paranoid students.
Even a class with a C shouldn't be concerned for retaking. BTW, your overall GPA doesn't seem to be very bad.
what's your MCAT?

If you made a C and above in a class, do not retake. However, if it's a D or F, then retake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
The main reason why retakes are not advise that there is really no way to impress an adcom with it but you risk being impacted negatively.

If you are retaking a course, the expectation is that you should get an A. After all, you have had the material twice. You cant impress anyway by getting more than the expectation. But what if you take the course and get say, an A- or B+ or B-. Then the question an adcom may think is "even after taking the course twice this kid cant even get an A?" This is especially true as how many other candidates got an A on their first try.

You are much better off to "impress" by taking another advanced courses, usually something Bio related, and getting an A in that.

This advice holds true for traditional students or those who recently graduated (+/- one to 3 years)?

But does it hold true for non-traditional applicants who are many many years out of their undergraduate degrees, worked for years in a professional capacity in another unrelated field, and just want to retake courses in a post-bacc to refresh their BMCP knowledge because of a career change to medicine regardless of whether their undergraduate transcript shows As in the BMCP courses?

The main reason why retakes are not advise that there is really no way to impress an adcom with it but you risk being impacted negatively.

If you are retaking a course, the expectation is that you should get an A. After all, you have had the material twice. You cant impress anyway by getting more than the expectation. But what if you take the course and get say, an A- or B+ or B-. Then the question an adcom may think is "even after taking the course twice this kid cant even get an A?" This is especially true as how many other candidates got an A on their first try.

You are much better off to "impress" by taking another advanced courses, usually something Bio related, and getting an A in that.

In your opinion, whether getting an A after retaking was the only factor which might impact our record negatively?
Does it mean if we could get an A after retaking, at least it won't be bad?
About 2 years ago I retook a bio class with a B, I got an A then. But now I'm little concerned with this fact as many people said bad things about retaking.

In your opinion, whether getting an A after retaking was the only factor which might impact our record negatively?
Does it mean if we could get an A after retaking, at least it won't be bad?
About 2 years ago I retook a bio class with a B, I got an A then. But now I'm little concerned with this fact as many people said bad things about retaking.
Nothing you can do about it now, so don't worry about it.