Should I switch from pre-pharmacy to pre-dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've thought about pre-dental before but was too scared to follow through. Do you guys think it's time to get out before it's too late? Has anyone made this switch? Is the dental field looking good? (it's the #2 job in America according to US News).
It's certainly not too late to switch out of pre-pharmacy, but you won't know whether dental (or medicine or any other career) is a good fit for you until you get a little practical experience. I recommend shadowing a dentist for a day to see if that's something you can imagine doing for the rest of your career. You wouldn't want to take on 200K in debt only to find that you're trained in a career you hate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I had braces when I was in highschool and through part of college, and when I first started college, I was dead-set on becoming an orthodontist. The stories of how the residencies are ultra-competitive to gain admission to basically steered me away at the time (and I also decided I wanted to spend less time in school overall), but now I regret shying away from it. At this point, I'm looking at spending even more time and money than it would've cost if I had just stuck to my original goal, but for some reason, I don't care anymore. I don't care how long it will take, and I don't care how expensive it will be. I know a guy who graduated from dental school last year, is doing a 6-year OMFS program, is married with 2 kids, and he isn't worried about having $500k-$600k+ in debt by the time he graduates in 6 years. If it's feasible for him to do it, then there's really no reason for someone in my situation not do it.
I wasn't responding to you. So you are going from pa to pharmacist to dentist?

Members don't see this ad :)