Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU 2018-2019 Cycle Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTstudent2BE

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm applying to SJSU and would like to connect with others also in the process of doing so. Post questions and comments here.

Here's my first question: When can we actually submit the OTCAS application? I know it takes some time to review. I know everyone talks about the October 1st deadline, but that is for the GAPE application, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I'm applying to SJSU and would like to connect with others also in the process of doing so. Post questions and comments here.

Here's my first question: When can we actually submit the OTCAS application? I know it takes some time to review. I know everyone talks about the October 1st deadline, but that is for the GAPE application, correct?

You can send your OTCAS application right when it opens up for the 2018/2019 cycle in July. The October 1st deadline is for GAPE, but if you really want to be the first applicant, you can send your packet of info in so that it gets received exactly on October 1st lol.

Here's this past year's thread too: Other OT-Related Information - SJSU 2017/2018 Support Group

You can send your OTCAS application right when it opens up for the 2018/2019 cycle in July. The October 1st deadline is for GAPE, but if you really want to be the first applicant, you can send your packet of info in so that it gets received exactly on October 1st lol.

Here's this past year's thread too: Other OT-Related Information - SJSU 2017/2018 Support Group

Thank you! How about the Experiences tab on OTCAS? Will SJSU ever see what I put there or am I wasting my time inputting all my experiences? The requirement to submit "Application/Personal Statement to OTCAS" is vague to me. What does SJSU consider the "application" portion to be?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! How about the Experiences tab on OTCAS? Will SJSU ever see what I put there or am I wasting my time inputting all my experiences? The requirement to submit "Application/Personal Statement to OTCAS" is vague to me. What does SJSU consider the "application" portion to be?

If "Experiences" is work and volunteer experience, then it's pretty important and they will look at it. But I kinda forgot what was in OTCAS to be honest LOL!

As for your other question, I think SJSU is just saying to fill out everything in OTCAS first. Later you'll fill out some stuff thru SJSU too. It's a little bit confusing, but I think they're trying to make it a little less confusing to apply these upcoming years little-by-little.

Hey! I will be applying to SJSU as well!

Does anyone know if the department will read the personal statement posted on Cal State Apply? Or will they just read the OTCAS one? Also kind of confused..is GAPE the same as applying to the SJSU OT program on Cal State Apply?

Hey! I will be applying to SJSU as well!

Does anyone know if the department will read the personal statement posted on Cal State Apply? Or will they just read the OTCAS one? Also kind of confused..is GAPE the same as applying to the SJSU OT program on Cal State Apply?

I copy/pasted my personal statement from OTCAS into Cal State Apply. They will definitely read the OTCAS one. Not sure if anyone reads the Cal State Apply one, but don't leave it blank!

Cal State Apply is essentially applying to SJSU GAPE. It looks almost exactly like OTCAS. Unfortunately, it does feel like filling out the same exact application twice with extra fees, but SJSU graduate admissions is pretty separate from the SJSU OT office. They sorta communicate with each other, but not really lol I can't describe it better than that!

I copy/pasted my personal statement from OTCAS into Cal State Apply. They will definitely read the OTCAS one. Not sure if anyone reads the Cal State Apply one, but don't leave it blank!

Cal State Apply is essentially applying to SJSU GAPE. It looks almost exactly like OTCAS. Unfortunately, it does feel like filling out the same exact application twice with extra fees, but SJSU graduate admissions is pretty separate from the SJSU OT office. They sorta communicate with each other, but not really lol I can't describe it better than that!

Thanks for the response! Yeah I've started the application since I'm also applying to CSUDH and was so sad when I found out I had to put in all my transcripts again lol. Good to hear you just copy-pasted. I wrote one for Cal State Apply and just wasn't sure if it would be bad if it was too similar to my OTCAS one.

Thanks for the response! Yeah I've started the application since I'm also applying to CSUDH and was so sad when I found out I had to put in all my transcripts again lol. Good to hear you just copy-pasted. I wrote one for Cal State Apply and just wasn't sure if it would be bad if it was too similar to my OTCAS one.

Are you already able to log in to Cal State Apply and start your app for Fall 2019? I tried to start my app today but it seemed like it did not open until October 1st

Are you already able to log in to Cal State Apply and start your app for Fall 2019? I tried to start my app today but it seemed like it did not open until October 1st
Hi @OTstudent2BE - correct Cal State Apply didn't open until October. Luckily its a very fast form, and nearly identical to OTCAS. However, make sure you get your app in as early as you can, since SJSU admits on a rolling basis.

Reactions: 1 user
I started the application process for CSUDH but wasn't able to add SJSU yet, which I won't open till Oct. 1. When the time comes I will just add SJSU's program to my list but for now I'm submitting just for CSUDH

AHH, I am glad I found this forum! I am applying as well!!
Do you guys know if I need to send the volunteer forms to everybody I volunteered (all the OTs, as well as other volunteer experiences, like camp counselor?) or just have one OT vouch for me? The whole volunteer forms situation confuses me, so if you have any knowledge about it, let me know!

Also, there is apparently an info meeting at SJSU on September 12, from 5 PM - 7 PM! In case you guys are in the area!

AHH, I am glad I found this forum! I am applying as well!!
Do you guys know if I need to send the volunteer forms to everybody I volunteered (all the OTs, as well as other volunteer experiences, like camp counselor?) or just have one OT vouch for me? The whole volunteer forms situation confuses me, so if you have any knowledge about it, let me know!

Also, there is apparently an info meeting at SJSU on September 12, from 5 PM - 7 PM! In case you guys are in the area!
Hey there, I've been volunteering at a few OT sites and have had one OT from each site complete a form for me. The benefit of having multiple OTs at any given site means that a different one can write a recommendation letter on OTCAS while another complete the volunteer form. Also, I would definitely have a supervisor from camp complete one (unless you already have an OT completing one from camp?).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you guys know when acceptances will start coming out?
Actually last year it was Nov 10! hellonicetomeetu must be looking at the year before! The acceptances sort of trickled out, though, not all at once. You can see it on the 2017/2018 forum.

Hello everyone!

I received my acceptance to SJSU on November 4th! :) Good luck to everyone! I hope to see you in the 2019 cohort!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone!

I received my acceptance to SJSU on November 4th! :) Good luck to everyone! I hope to see you in the 2019 cohort!
Congrats!! So fast. Are you able to share your stats with us? Also was it through snail mail or email?

Congrats!! So fast. Are you able to share your stats with us? Also was it through snail mail or email?

Thank you! I received an email from Gigi Smith.

University: University of California, San Diego
Major: Cognitive Science
Overall GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 163V, 155Q, 5 AWA

Experience: 1.5 years as an RBT working with children with autism, 3 years working in a neuroscience lab, 1 year as a caregiver, and 4 months as an outpatient rehab aide

Extra-Curricular: Volunteer with victims of domestic violence

Volunteer: 160 hours in an outpatient clinic with certified hand therapists and certified lymphedema therapists, 50 hours in inpatient care, 46 hours in a pediatric clinic

Applied: San Jose State, CSU Dominguez Hills, Loma Linda, University of St. Augustine, Samuel Merritt

Acceptances: University of St. Augustine (11/1), San Jose State (11/4)

Rejections:

Interviews: University of St. Augustine (10/23), Loma Linda (10/22)

Thank you! I received an email from Gigi Smith.

University: University of California, San Diego
Major: Cognitive Science
Overall GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 163V, 155Q, 5 AWA

Experience: 1.5 years as an RBT working with children with autism, 3 years working in a neuroscience lab, 1 year as a caregiver, and 4 months as an outpatient rehab aide

Extra-Curricular: Volunteer with victims of domestic violence

Volunteer: 160 hours in an outpatient clinic with certified hand therapists and certified lymphedema therapists, 50 hours in inpatient care, 46 hours in a pediatric clinic

Applied: San Jose State, CSU Dominguez Hills, Loma Linda, University of St. Augustine, Samuel Merritt

Acceptances: University of St. Augustine (11/1), San Jose State (11/4)

Rejections:

Interviews: University of St. Augustine (10/23), Loma Linda (10/22)

You really do have great stats and experiences! I get why they snapped you up. I think it’s so weird that they sent you your acceptance letter on Sunday, unless that was a typo? If not, it makes me hopeful for this weekend!

Hello everyone!

Congrats! Do you think you will be accepting? I know CSUDH is sending out their decisions around this time as well.

You really do have great stats and experiences! I get why they snapped you up. I think it’s so weird that they sent you your acceptance letter on Sunday, unless that was a typo? If not, it makes me hopeful for this weekend!
Yes, I received my acceptance on Sunday. I am sending everyone good vibes :)

Yes, I received my acceptance on Sunday. I am sending everyone good vibes :)
Did you get an invitation to a FB group? It seems that last cycle applicants were sent a request when they got accepted.

I haven't heard back yet! The stress is at an all time high!

I haven't heard back either, though I didn't apply til Nov.3.

How many spots does the MS OT program have? 32? I read it was cut from 2 cohorts of 40 to 32, but I'm not clear whether it's 2 cohorts of 32 or just 1?

Also, are there any other future OTs with disabilities/chronic illnesses whose life experience motivated their decision to pursue the field?

Any other prospective students who will receive a reduced courseload as a disability accommodation? I'm wondering how supportive the OT program is to sick/disabled students.

I haven’t heard back either and I applied October 3rd....I’m hoping they’re still looking at applications from October 2nd or it might just mean I’m denied.

I haven't heard back either, though I didn't apply til Nov.3.

How many spots does the MS OT program have? 32? I read it was cut from 2 cohorts of 40 to 32, but I'm not clear whether it's 2 cohorts of 32 or just 1?

at their info session they said they have around 70 spots!

I haven’t heard back either and I applied October 3rd....I’m hoping they’re still looking at applications from October 2nd or it might just mean I’m denied.

My guess (based on past threads) is that they accept a small amount of really outstanding candidates as they comb through the first bunch of applications, but probably put the rest in “maybe” or “probably” piles, then come January they compare all the maybe/probably candidates and choose the best from them at that point. It makes sense if you think about it- the very strongest get accepted without them even needing to see more candidates, but candidates that are strong but not necessarily stunningly strong need to be compared to each other to make a choice. For that reason, they wait until they have more applications turned in to make final choices.

Don’t stress too much, last year and this year only 1 person on Sdn heard back in November, the rest heard in Jan.

Hey, first year here, again. Not many acceptances come before January, just a few. Expect to hear back anywhere between January allllll the way through a couple weeks before the program if anyone drops out last minute and they want to fill the space. A majority of spaces will fill up by April/May, but there's always hope. I didn't hear back until early March and was on my toes the whole time. I just kept working at getting into OT school as if I wasn't getting in this time around, just in case. Didn't want to "rest on my laurels." Anyway, keep calm and truck along.

Reactions: 3 users
My guess (based on past threads) is that they accept a small amount of really outstanding candidates as they comb through the first bunch of applications, but probably put the rest in “maybe” or “probably” piles, then come January they compare all the maybe/probably candidates and choose the best from them at that point. It makes sense if you think about it- the very strongest get accepted without them even needing to see more candidates, but candidates that are strong but not necessarily stunningly strong need to be compared to each other to make a choice. For that reason, they wait until they have more applications turned in to make final choices.

Don’t stress too much, last year and this year only 1 person on Sdn heard back in November, the rest heard in Jan.
Thanks! That’s reassuring. The anticipation is killing me lol.

Hey guys! I'm applying too but I'm kind of late and still finishing the application. Does anyone know if we have to send in all of our materials to the SJSU OT department together in one envelope? I'm kind of confused about whether we have the OTs we shadowed send in the volunteer evaluation forms or if we have to collect them sealed and send them all in together

Hey guys! I'm applying too but I'm kind of late and still finishing the application. Does anyone know if we have to send in all of our materials to the SJSU OT department together in one envelope? I'm kind of confused about whether we have the OTs we shadowed send in the volunteer evaluation forms or if we have to collect them sealed and send them all in together

They should send them in themselves with the form you signed on top!

oh cool! Any idea how many applications they get?

They said they get about 700 or 750 I can't remember, but only about 450 are complete applications (ones that were filled out correctly in order to qualify)

So, I've been checking my sjsu account like 4x / day. This seems a bit ridiculous and raises the question-- will I get an email with an admissions decision before they update my admissions status in the my sjsu portal? If so, maybe I can convince myself to cool it with the constant checking? :p anyone know?

So, I've been checking my sjsu account like 4x / day. This seems a bit ridiculous and raises the question-- will I get an email with an admissions decision before they update my admissions status in the my sjsu portal? If so, maybe I can convince myself to cool it with the constant checking? :p anyone
—————-
Sorry I did something weird to the formatting by accident.

I believe they email you directly- I’ve heard it’s an email from Gigi Smith. Either way, you get an email when you get a message on the portal. I got one a couple weeks ago about financial aid and of course for the 2 minutes between seeing the email telling me I had a message, and actually signing in to the portal to read the message, I was sure it would be an admission decision and was extremely annoyed when it was not.

I should also say that last year they didn’t send any acceptances out until December 27th. Who knows about this year, but I’m trying not to expect it because it’ll drive me nuts.

So, I've been checking my sjsu account like 4x / day. This seems a bit ridiculous and raises the question-- will I get an email with an admissions decision before they update my admissions status in the my sjsu portal? If so, maybe I can convince myself to cool it with the constant checking? :p anyone know?

Hi! First year at SJSU here. I received an email from the OT department several weeks before my.sjsu account status changed, and I'm fairly certain that's how it went for my classmates as well. My.sjsu is very slow to update, my status was still "conditionally accepted" even after the semester began.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! First year at SJSU here. I received an email from the OT department several weeks before my.sjsu account status changed, and I'm fairly certain that's how it went for my classmates as well. My.sjsu is very slow to update, my status was still "conditionally accepted" even after the semester began.

Same. BTW, we need to hang out soon cuz they messed up our friend flow with how they organized our classes :laugh:

Hello!
I was just wondering if anyone else has heard back from SJSU yet. Looking at last years thread a lot of people started hearing back around this time so I was just curious! I know it’s still somewhat early to be hearing back but I’m getting so anxious!

Hello!
I was just wondering if anyone else has heard back from SJSU yet. Looking at last years thread a lot of people started hearing back around this time so I was just curious! I know it’s still somewhat early to be hearing back but I’m getting so anxious!
I know, this thread has been so quiet except for that one applicant who SJSU needed to lock down immediately

I know, this thread has been so quiet except for that one applicant who SJSU needed to lock down immediately
Yeah it’s super weird. I don’t know if that means they haven’t notified a lot of people yet, or just that a lot of people aren’t looking at these threads. Maybe it’s better for my stress level if I don’t know how many people are in already haha

I haven't heard back either! Aaaah. Anyone know what dates they're reviewing now?

Yeah it’s super weird. I don’t know if that means they haven’t notified a lot of people yet, or just that a lot of people aren’t looking at these threads. Maybe it’s better for my stress level if I don’t know how many people are in already haha

Same. BTW, we need to hang out soon cuz they messed up our friend flow with how they organized our classes :laugh:
We need to make time this semester!! Stop being so far away friend!