Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU 2018-2019 Cycle Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone else heard back? I applied pretty late in the game so I haven't been very hopeful, but it doesn't seem like anyone else has heard back either.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else heard back? I applied pretty late in the game so I haven't been very hopeful, but it doesn't seem like anyone else has heard back either.
No! It’s so weird, I believe last year they let a bunch of people late December and so far no one here has heard back except one person in November!

I gave them a call today and all they could tell me was that they would be sending out acceptances after the app cycle closed. Which seems a little odd to me since they are rolling admissions..

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wishing you all the best of luck and good decision results very soon!

I'm not applying until next cycle but would welcome any advice on good ways to satisfy the skills course prereq. I'm tackling Physiology and another class this summer so will need to somehow work this into next year's schedule or ideally an online option (drawing??). Curious if any of you found a good flexible way to fulfill this prereq . . .

I gave them a call today and all they could tell me was that they would be sending out acceptances after the app cycle closed. Which seems a little odd to me since they are rolling admissions..
Ugh, when does the cycle close again? I can't seem to find it on the website.

Ugh, when does the cycle close again? I can't seem to find it on the website.
I think it's Feb 1st, but who knows how long after that it will be till we hear back ):

Reactions: 1 user
Wishing you all the best of luck and good decision results very soon!

I'm not applying until next cycle but would welcome any advice on good ways to satisfy the skills course prereq. I'm tackling Physiology and another class this summer so will need to somehow work this into next year's schedule or ideally an online option (drawing??). Curious if any of you found a good flexible way to fulfill this prereq . . .

I took a weaving course through the rec center at a local college! It was once a week for 3 hours and mine (as well as most of the other art courses) are offered at night which makes it easy to fit into your schedule. Once you complete that you just need a signed letter from the teacher stating what you learned and the number of hours you completed. I was working around 25 hours a week and taking physiology when I took it, so its definitely doable! I figured I would learn more and be less stressed about it if I wasn't taking it for a grade.

Hi! I’m planning on applying for the 2019-2020 cycle and I wanted to know what people’s thoughts are on the application process? I saw online that that there’s a counseling session. Did anyone here attend one of them, and if so did you find it helpful?

Also, would you recommend taking the neuro anatomy course before applying as a way of making your application stand out?

Hey! Has anyone else heard back or know which application dates they're reviewing currently? My app was stamped by OT Nov 6! Haven't heard yet. Eeeek!

Hi! I’m planning on applying for the 2019-2020 cycle and I wanted to know what people’s thoughts are on the application process? I saw online that that there’s a counseling session. Did anyone here attend one of them, and if so did you find it helpful?

Also, would you recommend taking the neuro anatomy course before applying as a way of making your application stand out?

I took the neuro course ahead of time, just to let them know I was serious about the program. I think it's smart to do so as I met some students in the program already and they gave me some insight on the application process. Also, a lot of them were moving or having big life changes during the summer so they weren't able to fully focus on the course, which is an intense course!! You have to get a B (not B-) in the course, and some of them had to wait on finals results to see if they passed and would stay in the program. I say if you have the ability to focus on it go ahead and take the course.

Hey! Has anyone else heard back or know which application dates they're reviewing currently? My app was stamped by OT Nov 6! Haven't heard yet. Eeeek!

I was told that my application (submitted 10/1) was still in review and that I could hear back as late as April. She stated that responses would be between Dec-April. :(

Does anyone know which textbook OCTH 190 typically uses? Would love to get a head start with learning the material! Thank you everyone.

Waittttt, what do you mean it was "stamped" by OT? How do you know if you get stamped or not?! *panicking*

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know which textbook OCTH 190 typically uses? Would love to get a head start with learning the material! Thank you everyone.

These are the ones we used in summer 2018:

ISBN-13: 978-0133024692
and
ISBN-13: 978-1416401636

Ah I’m going crazy waiting for a response! Has anyone heard anything or know of anyone that has heard back yet?

Reactions: 1 users
i know someone that got in on Feb 1st! But I have not heard back either

Same for me. I’m hoping we won’t have to wait as late as April to hear back.

i know someone that got in on Feb 1st! But I have not heard back either
Do you know when the deadline to submit confirmation of their attendance is? I assume that is when more of us will be hearing back.

Do you know when the deadline to submit confirmation of their attendance is? I assume that is when more of us will be hearing back.
its interesting, they didn't give a deadline. I went to the information session they also said in the past they don't give deadlines and that caused them to scramble in May to fill the spots (they literally offered admission to applicants they had rejected...)

Oh my gosh, that's ridiculous. So does this mean they've sent out all of their initial acceptances, as in enough to hypothetically fill the program? Oy. Anyone know when they start handing out rejections they may or may not later take back? ://///

I have no idea-- yeah I thought they would've learned from what happened last year but I guess not

I wonder if they've handed out any rejections yet? Do they formally tell people if they're waitlisted, or just not respond? Thank you all for information!! Much appreciate.

Got accepted just now via email!! Best of luck to all of you other applicants!

Reactions: 2 users
For those who are got a acceptance to SJSUs program, would you mind sharing if you put down a deposit for any other programs you got accepted to? And if you will be attending SJSU?

I just got in too! (Conditional acceptance). I did not put a deposit for other schools and I plan on attending SJSU.

I just got in too! (Conditional acceptance). I did not put a deposit for other schools and I plan on attending SJSU.
Thank you for replying! Do you mind sharing your stats?

For those who are got a acceptance to SJSUs program, would you mind sharing if you put down a deposit for any other programs you got accepted to? And if you will be attending SJSU?
I didn’t put down a deposit yet for the other school I got into because I wanted to wait closer to their deadline in the event I was admitted to SJSU.

I’ll be attending SJSU.

Stats:
3.56 undergrad GPA
4.0 pre-req
155 V, 148 4.5 W

Congrats y'all!! For folks who got in, could you please share when you applied? Thank you :)

Thank you for replying! Do you mind sharing your stats?

CGPA: 3.61
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 156V 153Q 4.5AW
Experience: 50 hours each shadowing SNF, Outpatient, Acute care. 6 months work as a rehab tech, 2 years teaching English abroad.

I got my acceptance today also! Congrats to those who were also accepted and good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back :)

I applied October 1st

Congrats to everyone that got in! :) I know last year those who were accepted were invited to join a facebook group and I was wondering if it's the same case this year. If so, would anyone mind sharing how many people are in that group? I haven't heard back yet and knowing the exact number of people in the group might amp up my anxiety but it might also ease my curiosity lol.

Does anyone know what the estimated tuition would be for out of state students? I calculated it myself at around $50000 for the program but I’m not confident in that number.

Congrats to everyone that got in! :) I know last year those who were accepted were invited to join a facebook group and I was wondering if it's the same case this year. If so, would anyone mind sharing how many people are in that group? I haven't heard back yet and knowing the exact number of people in the group might amp up my anxiety but it might also ease my curiosity lol.
I haven't heard anything yet about a FB group, but I'll let you guys know if I do.

Congrats to those who have gotten in already! For those that haven't heard back yet, don't stress. You've done all you can for now. If you are worried, then hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I heard back around this time last year, but I had enrolled in a few more classes to boost my last 60 units GPA and enrolled at UCLAx Neuroanatomy online class (check last year's thread and google for discount code, if it's still around) while continuing to volunteer in different settings. Also, the FB group may or may not be up yet, but it will eventually get there. Good luck everyone! Looking forward to seeing some of you in the Fall :)

Hello all! So I just wanted to see if anyone else is experience a change in their portal. I just logged in and before clicking on "view status" there is a little "Admitted" with check mark on top of it but I don't really know what this means because I haven't received an email from them. UGH I am getting frustrated just because if this is just a glitch it would really really suck! So if anyone else is seeing this or knows about what this might mean please let me know!!

Hello all! So I just wanted to see if anyone else is experience a change in their portal. I just logged in and before clicking on "view status" there is a little "Admitted" with check mark on top of it but I don't really know what this means because I haven't received an email from them. UGH I am getting frustrated just because if this is just a glitch it would really really suck! So if anyone else is seeing this or knows about what this might mean please let me know!!

I will ask my friend who got accepted if she had that same check mark. Will you be attending if that is the case?

Hi there, I was accepted, but don't have that check mark (assuming I am looking at the right place). That doesn't mean anything though!

Has anybody gone through the list of approved neuroanatomy online courses, and figured out where to take it for a more affordable price? I only saw a 10% discount for the UCLA course and the price will still come out to a very steep $720 (from $800). Eek.

Finally, I would love to hear some advice and general comments about the program from current or former SJSU students!!

Last edited:
Is anyone planning on doing the cadaver lab at Stanford?

Is anyone planning on doing the cadaver lab at Stanford?

I tried to do the lab at Stanford around this time last year. I contacted them a couple times and never heard back. I opted to attend a few sessions of the cadaver lab at Merritt College in Oakland instead (it was recommended by the graduate assistant at SJSU)

The same thing happened to me :( it really got my hopes up. Good luck! I hope we hear back soon.