StardeWW Valley - GAME THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I guess I’m not understanding why you guys think Barks is not part of the cult. Like, why would she definitively be wolf if she’s scummy?

But I’m also still at work and it’s very loud so my brain doesn’t work. Talk to me like I’m a child.
The only reason I said she might not be is that n1 seems like the most likely night that AM was recruited based on writeups and in that case I don't understand AM pushing to keep Barks in the POE.

But that's just my best guess based in reading writeups so I could be totally wrong about everything.
 
I've been trying to make a colored list of everyone and it's really making me weep

Truenamer - it's me

Stoat - I have a "put a ring on it" sized reading card and I don't think she was converted but I don't have mechanical confirmation

And then there are two lists; wolves and cultists, and it just gets really complicated.

For wolves, folks who reasonably could be are Barks, Dubz, PSV? We're only looking for one (I hope) so it's tricky.

For cultists, we're looking for anywhere from 1 Cult Leader who was only able to convert AM (best case) to a Cult Leader and 2 Cultists (worst case).

Literally anyone could be a cultist, I have no clue how to find them. Really begging the veterans to step up and help but unless we're in the best case scenario most of the vets are likely Cultists or the Wolf.
I mean, I don't think we're any better at finding Cult. It's not a common mechanic and the last time it was in a non-noob game the Cult won so.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know you're joking but I'm going to say this clearly, in stone:

If we misyeet me, village loses the game. And then I will be able to come back and quote this specific post to harvest it's "I told you so" energy until the universe dies.
Lol I said something in my role PM earlier about how if I got misyeeted because it seemed like I would enjoy being a Cult Leader I would scream until the eventual heat death of the universe
 
Based on VCA and what I remember from AM’s reads, shelty seems less likely to be a wolf and more likely to be cult
Dubz is probably not a cultist either

AM definitely had villagers, not just cultists, in her ring of people she wouldn't consider for wolf voting yesterday. It had to include actual village to be received well. I imagine her wolf hunting may be believable but her village reads could have been protective of two groups.
 
Lol I said something in my role PM earlier about how if I got misyeeted because it seemed like I would enjoy being a Cult Leader I would scream until the eventual heat death of the universe
I'm putting you, True, Barks, and myself in the 'not a cultist" basket.
 
Dubz is probably not a cultist either

AM definitely had villagers, not just cultists, in her ring of people she wouldn't consider for wolf voting yesterday. It had to include actual village to be received well. I imagine her wolf hunting may be believable but her village reads could have been protective of two groups.
I don’t understand this line of reasoning at all
 
I will explain more after I am done prepping westerns for transfer. Full breakdown of my reasoning and you can poke holes in it to improve it
It is based on my understanding of the "rules" AM makes for herself when she's wolfing, applied to 3P-ing, and a vet can def do that better.
 
It's just surprising the sheer number of folks we went through before hitting a cultist. It gives me a glimmer of hope that their conversion is relatively slow; that they can only do it once every other day or one per wolf we find or something weird like that.
To be perfectly honest-- and all due respect and admiration/appreciation for the mods here because they're awesome-- if the cultists were able to convert a player every single night, I think it would very unfairly stack the game against village. I know there were 14 players originally, and I think we can figure 11 of them were village, but that would just be an insane conversion rate (though I guess we were dealt a very unfortunate hand when samac was killed first). I don't think the mods would do that to us.
 
I know you're joking but I'm going to say this clearly, in stone:

If we misyeet me, village loses the game. And then I will be able to come back and quote this specific post to harvest it's "I told you so" energy until the universe dies.
Lol. I was joking about you saying you were truenamer, not the color you had your name in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is based on my understanding of the "rules" AM makes for herself when she's wolfing, applied to 3P-ing, and a vet can def do that better.
I agree I don't think she's any more likely to push her teammates as cult than she would be as a wolf. Really makes even less sense to do it as 3p, because then you don't even get any village cred for getting them voted out.
 
Can we revisit the whole "Barks is wolfy" argument in light of knowing about the cult?
The crux of the Barks argument is based on her bussing kdswg day two. But with the knowledge that there were probably only two wolves in this game, that means Barks would've bused her only packmate. Her reasoning for voting kdswg was something like "pingy, don't like her cubs argument" or something. I just really don't see that being behavior from the only two wolves in the game. And since Barks is unlikely to be a cultist as well, I'm kind of willing to slide Barks into my village bloc.
We're reasoning that Barks is unlikely to be a cultist because then AM would have been semi-bussing her, right?
 
We're reasoning that Barks is unlikely to be a cultist because then AM would have been semi-bussing her, right?
Yeah. I get it would've looked awkward for AM to suddenly change her mind about barks post-conversion if barks were a cultist but honestly AM has so much village cred and we didn't even know about the cult so she could've said the sky was green and I would've been like "yeah if she says so."
 
Okay I haven’t unfuzzied my brain but I’m eating Mac and cheese and can maybe make a few thoughts coherent

I need someone to explain why the affiliation of the scum matters. If all the wolves are dead, doesn’t that mean no more NKs? I still haven’t read the wiki to process that (what I’m reading is that cult can’t kill?) but I guess I’m not understanding why we’re focusing on one faction or the other if effectively having one faction out of commission would mean the same thing no matter what (no NKs or no conversions)
 
Okay. I think genny is a cultist, hopefully the alpha cultist.
I ISO'd AM's mentions of her. In the first half-ish of the game, AM says multiple times she thinks genny is wolfy. After a certain point, she suddenly starts to lightly poo-poo any mention of genny potentially being a wolf. She instead directs attention toward Barks. It's relatively subtle but as far as indicators, I think it's the best we have.
Yeet genny
 
I'm putting you, True, Barks, and myself in the 'not a cultist" basket.
“I’m putting myself in the not a cultist basket”
The basket is unfortunately getting a little big unless we're in the Best Case where it was just the leader and AM.

Okay but if you and True are culting together and you don't recruit me I'm going to be heartbroken
You'd have been my first choice even before AM. An enthusiastic cultist is worth even more than a super-not-sketchy one, and she was a prime NK target by the wolves since, like, D1. I'm honestly surprised they let her live as long as they did.

To be perfectly honest-- and all due respect and admiration/appreciation for the mods here because they're awesome-- if the cultists were able to convert a player every single night, I think it would very unfairly stack the game against village. I know there were 14 players originally, and I think we can figure 11 of them were village, but that would just be an insane conversion rate (though I guess we were dealt a very unfortunate hand when samac was killed first). I don't think the mods would do that to us.
It would but they may have assumed that the Blocker and Jailer wouldn't be the literal first two kills (both prevent conversion, I assume) and they may have assumed we'd hit a cultist before literally half the players were already gone.

Okay I haven’t unfuzzied my brain but I’m eating Mac and cheese and can maybe make a few thoughts coherent

I need someone to explain why the affiliation of the scum matters. If all the wolves are dead, doesn’t that mean no more NKs? I still haven’t read the wiki to process that (what I’m reading is that cult can’t kill?) but I guess I’m not understanding why we’re focusing on one faction or the other if effectively having one faction out of commission would mean the same thing no matter what (no NKs or no conversions)
When wolf do wolf thing, this: 7 vs 1 becomes 6 vs 1

When cult do cult thing, this: 7 vs 1 becomes 6 vs 2

The second scenario is much scarier and snowballs because they get increasing influence over the discuss and the voting.
 
Okay I haven’t unfuzzied my brain but I’m eating Mac and cheese and can maybe make a few thoughts coherent

I need someone to explain why the affiliation of the scum matters. If all the wolves are dead, doesn’t that mean no more NKs? I still haven’t read the wiki to process that (what I’m reading is that cult can’t kill?) but I guess I’m not understanding why we’re focusing on one faction or the other if effectively having one faction out of commission would mean the same thing no matter what (no NKs or no conversions)
I think the issue lies in having enough villagers left to prevent the wolf (hopefully not wolves) from reaching parity. The longer the cult is around, the more villagers they presumably convert, and the closer they get to reaching their wincon (I think the wiki said that happens when they have converted at least half the players in the game). So for me it's most important to find the cultists to stop the conversions and then root out the wolf, but I see your point.
I'm also about to eat mac and cheese. Hopefully food for thought.
 
I think the issue lies in having enough villagers left to prevent the wolf (hopefully not wolves) from reaching parity. The longer the cult is around, the more villagers they presumably convert, and the closer they get to reaching their wincon (I think the wiki said that happens when they have converted at least half the players in the game). So for me it's most important to find the cultists to stop the conversions and then root out the wolf, but I see your point.
I'm also about to eat mac and cheese. Hopefully food for thought.
Yeah, my reading says that wolves win when half the players are wolves, same as cultists; the difference is killing vs converting.

But the cultists will still get a kill, through our daily village yeet. They won't need to control half the village to still have a very, very strong influence over who's getting yeeted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess that makes sense.

I need to go back to the long number rundown True posted earlier and look some things over because the thing that confused me earlier was (I think said by @bluestoat) like, foregoing voting for suspect wolves entirely? I think in regard to Barks.

….I don’t actually know what I’m asking, maybe. I need to reread the posts.
 
Okay I haven’t unfuzzied my brain but I’m eating Mac and cheese and can maybe make a few thoughts coherent

I need someone to explain why the affiliation of the scum matters. If all the wolves are dead, doesn’t that mean no more NKs? I still haven’t read the wiki to process that (what I’m reading is that cult can’t kill?) but I guess I’m not understanding why we’re focusing on one faction or the other if effectively having one faction out of commission would mean the same thing no matter what (no NKs or no conversions)
I did all the maths sporty, pls. Unless we're in the ideal world best case scenario of only one wolf and one cult, we need to hit cult today or we lose.

Don't mind me over here with my mild brain tingle that you're not automatically more concerned about what we know to be an exclusive 3p faction.
7 players

These are all predicated on one remaining wolf. Again, 3 wolves and a Cult Leader seems unlikely to me for a game this size, so I'm not considering it. Also leaning towards looking at worst case scenarios, of course there are others where the wolves kill the cult leader/cultist or recruitment fails or whatever.

If we misyeet, 4:1:1, risks losing a villager to wolf kill and to recruitment, making it 2:1:2 tomorrow, which is a fun situation because idk if wolf wincon necessitates getting rid of the Cult or just reaching parity with village.
If we yeet the wolf, then it would be potentially 4:2 tomorrow with successful recruitment.
If we yeet the Cult Leader, 4:1 tomorrow.
So in this scenario, we have some breathing room.

If we misyeet, a villager dies overnight, and another is recruited, 2:1:3 and cult wins
If we yeet the wolf and recruitment is successful, 3:3 and cult wins
If we yeet the Cult Leader and a villager dies overnight, 2:1:1 tomorrow or...something, idk what would happen to the Cultist
If we yeet the Cultist, a villager dies overnight, and successful recruitment, 2:1:2 tomorrow which is the same as scenario 1a

If we misyeet, Cult wins
If we yeet the wolf, Cult wins
If we yeet the Cult Leader and a villager dies overnight, 2:1:2 tomorrow, which is the same as scenario 1a.
If we yeet a Cultist, a villager dies overnight, and successful recruitment, 2:1:3, Cult wins.

Some things also depend on what happens to the Cultists if the Cult Leader dies...
I think these are correct.
 
I did all the maths sporty, pls. Unless we're in the ideal world best case scenario of only one wolf and one cult, we need to hit cult today or we lose.

Don't mind me over here with my mild brain tingle that you're not automatically more concerned about what we know to be an exclusive 3p faction.
😑 I’m never MORE concerned about an exclusive 3P. I hate them equally and idk how long it’s gonna take people for get that.

But yes, the math is what I was saying I need to go back and check because I just am not wrapping my head around the… difference I guess. Or the pertinence of the difference
 
Like, I get the fundamental switching sides thing about it. I’m just not understanding how the math works out when it comes to cutting conversions vs cutting NKs
Both groups want to reach parity with the rest of the game. The wolves don't grow, they only subtract from the other side. The cult subtracts from the other side and grows simultaneously.
 
Like, I get the fundamental switching sides thing about it. I’m just not understanding how the math works out when it comes to cutting conversions vs cutting NKs
I have the numbers in there. But basically what True said. It's the same reason a convert is more powerful than an OG. Cult takes away a villager AND adds to their numbers, wolf just takes away a villager.
 
Both groups want to reach parity with the rest of the game. The wolves don't grow, they only subtract from the other side. The cult subtracts from the other side and grows simultaneously.
No, I get that part.

At this point, I don’t understand what I’m confused about anymore.

Like, what happens when there aren’t anymore NKs? (Inb4 “there aren’t anymore NKs”)
 
No, I get that part.

At this point, I don’t understand what I’m confused about anymore.

Like, what happens when there aren’t anymore NKs? (Inb4 “there aren’t anymore NKs”)
It doesn't matter if no one is dying if the Cult is recruiting people.

There aren't any more NKs
 
No, I get that part.

At this point, I don’t understand what I’m confused about anymore.

Like, what happens when there aren’t anymore NKs? (Inb4 “there aren’t anymore NKs”)
Unless I'm mistaken, we'll still have to yeet someone at the end of each day. The cultists will have increasing influence over this vote, in addition to being able to convert with their night action (we don't know the specific mechanics, it may be every other night or something else). This continues until there are only villagers or until the villagers and cultists are at parity, at which point the cultists can control every vote and win automatically.
 
I guess that makes sense.

I need to go back to the long number rundown True posted earlier and look some things over because the thing that confused me earlier was (I think said by @bluestoat) like, foregoing voting for suspect wolves entirely? I think in regard to Barks.

….I don’t actually know what I’m asking, maybe. I need to reread the posts.
Not really. I think my response is misinterpreted here; I'm not changing or ignoring my wolf reads, but I'm operating on the assumption that the cult is bigger than the pack right now. I want to talk with Barks, and open discussion can yield plenty to think about.
 
Only two pages of genny posts, easiest ISO ever. She's barely been above the minimum each day.

Unfortunately, it didn't clear much up for me, but I'd love feedback.

is that why i keep playing WW? it's a cult thing?
This was her second comment in the thread, the first was a naked Zenge yeet. Maybe there was some reason the word "cult" was in her mind?

I’m guessing you get put on the naughty list? That makes me feel worse about AM, but I don’t know whether it’s because she falls into the village trap of wolf reading people who suspect her, or because she’s using the wolfy tactic of aggressively pursuing her detractors.
Day 1 she's willing to cast some doubt/shade on AM. But maybe she hadn't decided who to convert yet? Not strong evidence either way.

Village:
Barks
AM
Cubs
Dubz

Eel pool:
True
Bob
psv
Zenge
Stoat
kdswig
sporty

Did i forget anyone?
This is very reasonable, especially with so little information at the time.

her vote swap to avoid the tie is something village dubz would do.
Defending Dubz a bit

i struggled with where to put psv, that's a bit fluid. bob is giving me more village vibes than wolfy, so he's higher.

re-reading the first part of d1 was where i get stoat as a fluffy wolf posting to contribute, and i didn't like making a tie after saying she doesn't like ties. i think zenge is always a wolf lean for me, until he catches a wolf.
Had the right feeling about Bob?

yeet kdswg
Was the third person on this wagon, breaking a tie and really putting the momentum into it. Basically confirmed her as "not a wolf".

i don't think she sounds village. i find her cubs read weird.
Talking about kdswg. Again, right on the money. She's 1000% not a wolf, but I just don't know if she's a cultist or not.

You, True, Stoat. That's it.
Her POE after we yeeted kds (the "you" is Bob). She pushed on me and Stoat a bit for being buddy-buddy and hasn't said much else, not much material to work with.

tl;dr There just isn't much to go off of, she's barely meeting posting minimums, has only one or two posts with meaty analysis, but was good at sniffing out a wolf one time.
 
Not really. I think my response is misinterpreted here; I'm not changing or ignoring my wolf reads, but I'm operating on the assumption that the cult is bigger than the pack right now. I want to talk with Barks, and open discussion can yield plenty to think about.
To be fair to you, I also only skimmed at work so I totally could’ve misunderstood what you were saying.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just… give me a second. I need to do something else and then look at numbers I think.
1644371965388.jpeg

*image of Sporty still on the couch on her phone*
 
I went to hunt down that game that the Cult won but after reading the ending it was kind of a Cult variant so idk how helpful it'll be but it's here


There was never open knowledge of the Cult so it went...well :laugh: