Student Fitness Thread to end all fitness threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good thing 3/4 of an el Caminos are readily available at your local trailer parks.

Honestly I haven't benched in so long I don't think I could even hit 225 anymore.
It's definitely a use it or lose it skill

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Squatting is my jam right now. Front squatting or high bar 5 times a week. Slowly creeping up on that 400 squat
God damn dude, do you feel front squats have helped your back squat? I hear it has some pretty sweet carry over

Members don't see this ad :)
God damn dude, do you feel front squats have helped your back squat? I hear it has some pretty sweet carry over

I think they've helped make my leg strength/muscular development more balanced. They're wayyyy more taxing than back squats though. I often hit singles or doubles around 230-240 with front squat and that's way more taxing than single back squats at 290-300

I think they've helped make my leg strength/muscular development more balanced. They're wayyyy more taxing than back squats though. I often hit singles or doubles around 230-240 with front squat and that's way more taxing than single back squats at 290-300

I've also experienced some great carryover doing front squats. I used to do a lot of Olympic lifting so front squats feel very comfortable for me and at one point I was front squatting way more often than I was back squatting. But if you can, I definitely recommend them to help build up the legs and upper back

I've also experienced some great carryover doing front squats. I used to do a lot of Olympic lifting so front squats feel very comfortable for me and at one point I was front squatting way more often than I was back squatting. But if you can, I definitely recommend them to help build up the legs and upper back

Hell yeah. Just did sets of triples at 2 plates and I'm ****ing spent. Front squats are amazing.

Anyone have experience/advice for going from being very inflexible to being flexible? I have so much trouble sticking to a stretching routine and when I have, I notice very little improvement in my flexibility.

Anyone have experience/advice for going from being very inflexible to being flexible? I have so much trouble sticking to a stretching routine and when I have, I notice very little improvement in my flexibility.

Honestly, sticking to a pre-workout stretching routine or dynamic stretching warmup is the best way to do it.

I used to sit in the Slav squat position for long periods of time to make my legs more flexible and that helped too.

Reactions: 1 users

What's your stretching routine/goals? Also, what kind of other workouts do you do in addition to stretching? This can limit what is possible for you to some extent. I went from pretty inflexible (just barely able to touch my toes) to pretty flexible (palms easily to the floor from standing, just about full front splits/pancake straddle. Middle split not so much, maybe someday...Seen a lot of shoulder/back flexibility improvement as well). How I did that:
  1. Quit track.
  2. Take dance/circus classes
  3. Stretch when bored
Thing is, number one was pretty key for me. While I was still training competitively I was just flexible enough to avoid getting injured, but my muscles (especially hamstrings) were tight in all the wrong places for significant flexibility. I still run, just not to the same level of training. It's definitely possible to have both strength/speed and flexibility (in fact strength is important to train alongside the stretching itself), but certain activities and body types are definitely going to make it tougher to get those crazy moves that lifelong dancers/gymnasts/etc. have.

Honestly, sticking to a pre-workout stretching routine or dynamic stretching warmup is the best way to do it.

I used to sit in the Slav squat position for long periods of time to make my legs more flexible and that helped too.

Slav squat is the best for opening up your legs, hips, and even your knees (but don't try jumping up out of the position, I learned the hard way lmao). Took me a few months of work, but I'm so glad I did it.

What's your stretching routine/goals? Also, what kind of other workouts do you do in addition to stretching? This can limit what is possible for you to some extent. I went from pretty inflexible (just barely able to touch my toes) to pretty flexible (palms easily to the floor from standing, just about full front splits/pancake straddle. Middle split not so much, maybe someday...Seen a lot of shoulder/back flexibility improvement as well). How I did that:
  1. Quit track.
  2. Take dance/circus classes
  3. Stretch when bored
Thing is, number one was pretty key for me. While I was still training competitively I was just flexible enough to avoid getting injured, but my muscles (especially hamstrings) were tight in all the wrong places for significant flexibility. I still run, just not to the same level of training. It's definitely possible to have both strength/speed and flexibility (in fact strength is important to train alongside the stretching itself), but certain activities and body types are definitely going to make it tougher to get those crazy moves that lifelong dancers/gymnasts/etc. have.

Look at Olympic weightlifters if you want to see a good example of strength and speed with flexibility.

What worked best for me was ending all my workouts with mobility work, stretching and foam rolling. I'd do the same list of stretches to complete my workouts every day.

You can also stretch before lifting, but research has shown that pre-activity stretching actually decreases speed and force production in sprinters and weight lifters. Better to warm up on a rower or treadmill, do some hip warmup exercises, then hit the weights and stretch after.

What worked best for me was ending all my workouts with mobility work, stretching and foam rolling. I'd do the same list of stretches to complete my workouts every day.

You can also stretch before lifting, but research has shown that pre-activity stretching actually decreases speed and force production in sprinters and weight lifters. Better to warm up on a rower or treadmill, do some hip warmup exercises, then hit the weights and stretch after.

Alternatively, pick up a copy of the Kama Stura, find yourself a partner, and get to practicing every day. That should do the trick.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alternatively, pick up a copy of the Kama Stura, find yourself a partner, and get to practicing every day. That should do the trick.
The flying starfish has done wonders for my tight gastrocnemius

At the gym and it is bro central today. Quarter squatting and using wrist straps (yes, straps not wraps) while benching.

All you need to get quads like Heath is a healthy dose of testosterone, masteron, hgh, insulin, trenbolone acetate, and maybe a little more testosterone to top it off

Nah he's natty AF. That's what the supplement companies say.... (lol jokes. He probs snorts creatine when he wakes up too)

Reactions: 2 users
Slav squat is the best for opening up your legs, hips, and even your knees (but don't try jumping up out of the position, I learned the hard way lmao). Took me a few months of work, but I'm so glad I did it.
I've been trying Slav squat but I don't feel like it's challenging me at all or stretching anything. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Are there variations to make it more challenging other than just sitting in the position?

I've been trying Slav squat but I don't feel like it's challenging me at all or stretching anything. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Are there variations to make it more challenging other than just sitting in the position?

Some people might roll their eyes when they see this, but Ido Portal has a great video for a squat routine that helps add various movements and stretches to the position. Give it a try and see if you like it: youtube.com/watch?v=lbozu0DPcYI

I rock forward as far as I can to work on ankle mobility a bit. What's your particular deficiency in lower-body mobility?

Guys....I went back to lifting!

Super proud of myself. could only squat 70 lbs (vs. 135 that I was doing before), but I know with some hard work I can get that back up to where it was. Just gotta throw in some light cardio and I'm golden.

Also, dieting sucks.
Yesterday, I squatted 105. I'm getting somewhere!

I rock forward as far as I can to work on ankle mobility a bit. What's your particular deficiency in lower-body mobility?
My hamstrings and calves. I can't touch my toes. Granted I have long legs, but my arms are long too so you'd think it would balance out lol

The Slav squat (aka Asian squat) isn't really meant to be a stretch. If you can actually do it, it helps to do it every day to maintain your lower body mobility.

Most people cannot do a Slav squat so they motion acts as a stretch for them.

If you can hold a decent Slav squat here are some options for lower body mobility work:

1- psoas/hip flexor stretch
- great for opening up the hips and improving barbell squat form. Makes it easier to "stay inside your hips" under heavy loads

2-foam rolling the calves
Good for improving ankle mobility

3- weighted calf stretches
These are kinda dangerous but many Olympic lifters I know swear by it.

Take a barbell and put some weight on it. Place the barbell on your distal thigh and sit down on a bench. The goal is to shift your knees forward until the barbell is forcing your ankle into dorsiflexion by pushing down on the thigh just above the knee.

For barbell rows, do you guys use the safety bars on squat racks like in this YT video: /watch?v=9efgcAjQe7E

or just deadlift it up or rest it on some weights for height? I can't barbell row 135+ so the weight starts out super low.

In a perfect world you would be bent over paralell to the floor and pull vertically off the floor. Some people choose to bend over at a 45* angle and use the safety pins. You can pull more weight this way but you don't work your upper back as much.

Don't know if this has been discussed yet on this thread, but anyone into this ketogenic diet? Sounds too good to be true. I naturally tend to have a low-carb diet so it would be pretty easy for me to do.

Don't know if this has been discussed yet on this thread, but anyone into this ketogenic diet? Sounds too good to be true. I naturally tend to have a low-carb diet so it would be pretty easy for me to do.

Caloric deficits work. It also depends on whether you want better sports performance out of your diet or not. Also depends on the sport

Some evidence shows it offers increased fat loss over carb heavy diets over the short term. Results are transient and the normal carb diet was deemed healthiest over the long term with both groups losing the same amount of fat by the end of the study.

Do you guys know if certain types of protein powders give better results? Mainly looking at whey protein vs. egg protein.
I used whey protein for a bit, but I'm pretty sure dairy aggravates my acne. Whenever I'd stop consuming dairy products, my acne would go away. I noticed that the acne would come back whenever I would start eating dairy again.

Do you guys know if certain types of protein powders give better results? Mainly looking at whey protein vs. egg protein.
I used whey protein for a bit, but I'm pretty sure dairy aggravates my acne. Whenever I'd stop consuming dairy products, my acne would go away. I noticed that the acne would come back whenever I would start eating dairy again.

As far as I know there is minimal difference. Egg protein might have slightly lower bioavailability but not enough to worry about it unless you're a pro. Even then I doubt they worry too much about it.

Protein – Which is Best?

I had good luck with it. I used after I was done with college football and dropped about 20 pounds in 4 months. I dropped from about 200 to a little under 180. The first week sucks but I felt great once I was in ketosis. I definitely felt like my mind was clearer and my energy levels went way up.

I think the weight loss itself definitely could have just been the fact that I was at a deficit though. In the last year I've dropped another 15 just by operating at about a 90% deficit with no real food restrictions and doing a lot more cardio than I ever have.

I had good luck with it. I used after I was done with college football and dropped about 20 pounds in 4 months. I dropped from about 200 to a little under 180. The first week sucks but I felt great once I was in ketosis. I definitely felt like my mind was clearer and my energy levels went way up.

I think the weight loss itself definitely could have just been the fact that I was at a deficit though. In the last year I've dropped another 15 just by operating at about a 90% deficit with no real food restrictions and doing a lot more cardio than I ever have.

It's all deficit friend. Can't lose weight without taking in less than you burn.

Side note, pidgeon pose is my savior when it comes to flexibility. All the squats I do tax my glutes quite a bit and pidgeon pose every day keeps them from getting painfully tight. Tight glutes also effect my right hip and lower back so one pose fixes a tone of problems.

Wish me luck friends! State championship meet is Sunday. Taking this week off to recover and I'm dying. So much energy to burn but I'm not allowed to lift so I can be 100% recovered for the meet.

Hey how did it go? Did you hit your numbers?

Hey how did it go? Did you hit your numbers?
It went well!

Hit all my numbers and set a few PRs, I got invited to regionals but idk if I'll have time for it since it's during the school year in august.

Depends on your sport. Unless you mean in general, in which case you would be wrong. Plenty of decent programs for strength athletes have some form of squatting 4-5 days a week. Especially for oly lifting.
Hmmm, do tell. I like to learn. What sport are you doing? cycling?

To add onto that, if you're an advanced intermediate to advanced strength athlete, something like a smolov jr squat cycle which requires heavy squatting 4 days a week can produce great results.

Hmmm, do tell. I like to learn. What sport are you doing? cycling?

Oly lifting and powerlifting both can benefit from squatting multiple times a week. Doesn't mean you will be squatting at 100% every time, but sometimes it can be useful for very advanced athletes. For example, a buddy of mine is training for the American open and 4 days a week he works up to maxes (1 rep to 5 rep max depending on the day) then does drop sets at 80% of the max for the day. It's based more on feel and is really more for advanced athletes than anything. Plenty of different ways to train, but it is probably not a good way to train for a body builder.