This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMT Potato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a current student at an American University looking to study medicine and move permanently to Australia. I would not like to work as a doctor in the US and I have no concerns on moving back to the country. I would like to know if it is possible to study at an Australian Uni like UQ or UNSW and obtain permanent residency after graduation (while staying in Australia the whole time). Also, how is life as a doctor in OZ? What are your hours like? How is the compensation? How is the general working environment?

Members don't see this ad.

US-Citizens IMGs only match residency about 50% of the time as the data below shows. However, the disparity is actually worse

1) The Match Rate only considers applicants who have active applicants and drops those who either withdrew their application (usually due to not passing boards) and those who didnt rank (ie no program even interviewed them). If we were to add unmatched, withdrew, and no rank, US-MD seniors would have a non-match rate of 8% while US-IMGs rate would be 61%, or nearly 8 times bigger
2) SOAP (post-match placement) is about 28% for US-MD seniors while for US-IMGs it is about 3%
3) Prematch placement has all but disappeared as NRMP adopted an "all-in" policy (ie programs cannot offer spots prior to match)
4) There is under 3% attrition for US medical schools while attrition estimates vary widely depending on the off shore school but even the "big" 3 seem to have rates anywhere from 12% to 33%.

View attachment 228428

View attachment 228429
I don't think he wants to match in the US...

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

I'm a current student at an American University looking to study medicine and move permanently to Australia. I would not like to work as a doctor in the US and I have no concerns on moving back to the country. I would like to know if it is possible to study at an Australian Uni like UQ or UNSW and obtain permanent residency after graduation (while staying in Australia the whole time). Also, how is life as a doctor in OZ? What are your hours like? How is the compensation? How is the general working environment?

Hi EMT Potato,

I am a doctor currently working in Victoria and was in similar shoes to you ~15 years ago. I was born and raised in the US, moved to Australia for med school, and graduated from the University of Melbourne. My first couple years were a little rough getting adjusted to a new life away from home, but it's been good and I have no regrets about the move. The work-life balance is pretty good; some specialties are busier than others. I feel the compensation is fair. There is some concern about getting into a hospital for internship since placements for international graduates are not guaranteed, but I think if you are a half-decent student and are flexible about where you apply (e.g. interstate and rural), you will be okay.

Good luck!