Successful Applicant Stats C/O 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Llamaslug was my co-worker and we helped each other through the hell that was this job. The work was amazing but the environment turned us into walking soul-less skeletons.

Now that we are both out of that work environment, people who got to know us while we were working there keep stopping each of us to ask if we are pregnant or have fallen in love because we look so healthy and well rested :laugh:.

Its definitely given us perspective on what characterizes a good or bad work environment knowledge that im sure will serve us well in the future. Oh, and also, WE GOT INTO VET SCHOOL!!!!!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Now that we are both out of that work environment, people who got to know us while we were working there keep stopping each of us to ask if we are pregnant or have fallen in love because we look so healthy and well rested :laugh:.

Its definitely given us perspective on what characterizes a good or bad work environment knowledge that im sure will serve us well in the future. Oh, and also, WE GOT INTO VET SCHOOL!!!!!!:D

Hooray vet school! As soon as I no longer felt nauseous from the shock I started my happy dance :)

I thought I would bump this because I am getting a lot of PMs about my private stats. Which is fine :D but here is a thread with EVERYONES stats! 8 pages seems daunting but I'm sure that everyone applying this year for c/o 2015 wants to find someone who got accepted with similar experience and stats. It is always reassuring. So start at page 1 and have fun!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Might as well join the party

24, M, MO resident, 1st time applicant
Undergrad: Washington University in St. Louis

Applied: Colorado State, Cornell, Louisiana State, Mississippi State, Tufts, Minnesota, Missouri, Penn, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Virginia-Maryland, Washington State, Ross, Royal Vet College, Guelph
Rejected: Colorado State, Cornell, LSU, Minnesota, Missouri, Penn, Tennessee, Wisconsin, WSU, Royal Vet College, Guelph
Interviews: Mississippi State, Tufts, Missouri, Virginia-Maryland, Ross
Waitlisted: Mississippi State, Virginia-Maryland
Attending: Tufts

Cumulative GPA 3.38
Science GPA: 3.00
GRE: V 510, Q 720, A 5.0

Vet Experience:
Small Animal ~1000 hrs
- Worked as a Tech (at the time of applying) for 7 months at my local companion clinic
Zoo Animal ~ 160 hrs
- Volunteered at the St. Louis Zoo Hospital for 8 months (at the time of applying)
Research Animal ~ 30 hrs
-Assisted in research done on Squirrel Monkeys at South Alabama University

Animal Experience:
-Volunteered at a rescue shelter ~300 hrs

LORs:
- Both Vets at the companion clinic
- Supervising MD for my research experience
- Dean of Graduate Students at WashU (a professor of mine)
- Professor of Archaeology at WashU

Extracurriculars:
Cycling Club
Treasurer of our Pre-Vet Club
Owned exotics for many years (I guess this counts)

I figure I had a semi-weak to middle-of-the-road application that was only helped by my recs. I completely bombed my Missouri interview and I thought Tufts and Mississippi State went well (VMRCVM was awful but somehow I got waitlisted). I think interviews play a larger role in acceptance than we know.

Hope this helps at least one person!

First time applicant, 21 years old, Female, New York resident.
Undergraduate: Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY
Applied: Cornell, UPenn, Iowa, Michigan, Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Illinois, Minnesota, Ross
Apps withdrawn: none
Still waiting: none
Interview: Ross, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Penn, Tennessee (interview offered but declined), Illinois (interview offered but declined)
Accepted: Ross, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Penn, Michigan
Attending: UPenn :)

Cum GPA @ time of application: 3.86
Last 45 credit hrs: 3.97
GRE: 1340. 790q, 550v

Honors and Awards:
-Binghamton University Deans' List
-NYS Scholastic Scholarship
-Phi Betta Kappa

Veterinary Experience:
-1000 hrs at a small animal practice.
-30 hrs with LA vet

Animal Experience:
-130 hrs interning at a zoo
-35 hrs volunteering at an alpaca farm

Extracurricular/Community Activities:
-BU Student Ambassador - 2 years
-BU Pre-Vet Society, member 3 years, president 1 year

BHantler- i love WashU!! I went to middle school right next to its campus! (Wydown) Also, i miss the St. Louis zoo. You don't realize how amazing it is until you see the crappy zoos in other states lol

BHantler- i love WashU!! I went to middle school right next to its campus! (Wydown) Also, i miss the St. Louis zoo. You don't realize how amazing it is until you see the crappy zoos in other states lol
Good ole Wydown. I think we had our residential college olympics at your school. And I do know how great the Zoo is coming from San Antonio originally. Man that zoo sucked. And it wasn't free! :laugh:

My sister went to WashU. She absolutely loved it. It is really beautiful!!

I've been looking at this for on and off for 2 days now, comparing my stats to those accepted last year. (Even though I've already read it months ago).
Mine pall in comparison. I wonder if there are still others that didn't add their stats?

There is a huge range present in this thread. If yours falls below the ranges from this thread in each category, you probably need to work on raising your stats.

But, the GPA of accepted applicants ranges from ~2.5 to 4.0, and the GRE ranges from ~1000 to 1700+. It's a huge range for either one. And if you are low on experience, at least that's easy to fix - just try hard to get more experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes there is a huge range, but the majority are on the high end. My stats do fall way above the lowest though.

Yes there is a huge range, but the majority are on the high end. My stats do fall way above the lowest though.

So then why are you worried? Other than "I clicked send on VMCAS and am impatiently waiting. In the mean while I feel totally helpless and choose to obsess over not getting in" syndrome.

Am I close? ;)

It's a bell curve. Realize that most folks on this forum are one the upper end of that curve. The applicants on the other end of the curve are not adequately represented on this forum. I didn't fully understand this until the first few weeks of school when I looked around my class*.

*so call me a judgmental B. Whatever. Other current students, if they were truly honest, have at one point looked at *those* classmates and wondered what on earth made their app stand out...

*so call me a judgmental B. Whatever. Other current students, if they were truly honest, have at one point looked at *those* classmates and wondered what on earth made their app stand out...

You crack me up! I hope I am not one of "those" classmates lol. I'm pretty sure I know who you are talking about lol

I just assume they slept with admissions committee members.

And were good.

(the bad ones didn't make it)

Lets play nice people...

Clearly everyone in our classes were picked for specific reasons by the admissions committee so why judge and assume?

Bottom line, you never know what the admissions committees are looking for, so no matter what your stats its ALWAYS a toss up.

I just assume they slept with admissions committee members.

And were good.

(the bad ones didn't make it)
You better believe it! My post mortems my first two years were depressing. Third time around though? "What have you done to improve yourself as an applicant?" "Well, I've been...practicin'" *bow chicka wow wow*

You better believe it! My post mortems my first two years were depressing. Third time around though? "What have you done to improve yourself as an applicant?" "Well, I've been...practicin'" *bow chicka wow wow*

:whoa:...... :claps:...... :banana:

Hahaha!

It means that the person withdrew their application. Maybe they were accepted to a first choice school and didn't care to follow through with the other application.

This isn't my first post, I had an account here before but I can't remember the login.

24, F, CA resident, 1st time applicant
Undergrad: UC Irvine

Applied: Davis, Glasgow, Dublin, Penn, Wisconsin, Edinburgh
Rejected: Davis, Glasgow, Penn, Wisconsin, Edinburgh
Waitlisted: Dublin
Attending: Dublin :luck:

Cumulative GPA drum roll please... 2.836. Took an immuno class after and got an A. Also got an A in a micro bio lab and lec but that was after the application was due.
Science GPA: 2.842 (bio classes were high but physics and some of the chem didn't help)
I know I'm bringing up last years thread...but I thought the minimum gpa for dublin was 3.2? Does anyone know anything about this?

Would it be possible to list the name of the college/university that you attended? thanks

Would it be possible to list the name of the college/university that you attended? thanks

That doesn't really have any influence on the veterinary school admission process. I personally would be uncomfortable sharing that information on an online forum.

Quick question I noticed you put under your animal experience "Pets smart" did you work there? Do you think if I worked at a doggy day care those hours would count?

Quick question I noticed you put under your animal experience "Pets smart" did you work there? Do you think if I worked at a doggy day care those hours would count?

I'm not even sure who you're addressing this to, but whoever you're asking this question of is unlikely to answer. This thread is more than three years old, and quite a few of the people who posted in it no longer frequent these forums.

If you're looking for help with your application, you'll be much better off posting in a more recent thread. This one, for example: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=996717

To answer your question, doggy day care work would go under "animal experience" in your application.

But newbies that actually use the search function really tickle my little heart :love:

A+ for solid A-ffort

HAHAH!

On another note.... Crazy that this class is almost DONE!! :thumbup::thumbup::luck:

Reading only the first few pages and comparing CSU applicants specifically, it looks like a crapshoot. It seems to vary A LOT on the stats of people getting in!