Take a W or a B in Genetics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biobaggins9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have a couple personal reasons for why I'm not doing great in genetics, however I don't really want to bring them up as excuses or anything. My main question is if you guys think I should withdraw from my genetics class, or settle with (at best) a B or a B+. I've had to settle with Bs and one or two Cs before due to mental health stuff, but I've come to terms with a lot of that stuff in the past year and I'm doing really well in all of my other science classes but Genetics is an exception and I'm wondering if it'd be better to take a W and retake it next semester (with a better teacher and higher likelihood of getting an A). What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
B or B+ take it. If you would get a C or C- it is worth considering the W.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree w/ the above poster. Go with the B. Save a W in case something happens further down the line and you're at risk of getting a C or worse.

I hope you continue to take care of yourself and your mental health. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I have a couple personal reasons for why I'm not doing great in genetics, however I don't really want to bring them up as excuses or anything. My main question is if you guys think I should withdraw from my genetics class, or settle with (at best) a B or a B+. I've had to settle with Bs and one or two Cs before due to mental health stuff, but I've dealt with a lot of that this semester and I'm doing really well in all of my other science classes but Genetics is an exception and I'm wondering if it'd be better to take a W and retake it next semester (with a better teacher and higher likelihood of getting an A). What do you guys think?
I think a taking B would be better than taking a W. A B isn't the end of the world. It really depends on you though. Did you deal with your mental health issues or is there a chance that it might resurface. If your mental health issues aren't completely gone then I would recommend that you take the W just in case it comes back and you get worse than the B you were hoping for.

So, I have a couple personal reasons for why I'm not doing great in genetics, however I don't really want to bring them up as excuses or anything. My main question is if you guys think I should withdraw from my genetics class, or settle with (at best) a B or a B+. I've had to settle with Bs and one or two Cs before due to mental health stuff, but I've come to terms with a lot of that stuff in the past year and I'm doing really well in all of my other science classes but Genetics is an exception and I'm wondering if it'd be better to take a W and retake it next semester (with a better teacher and higher likelihood of getting an A). What do you guys think?
As for mental health stuff, if you want to pm me about strategies for management (/ balance with school stess), I had to work out my own problems during undergrad and have a pretty long list of management techniques.

Thank you guys! I've gotten my mental health under control for the most part (it's mostly an anxiety thing, and taking care of myself and increasing my confidence has improved it exponentially) and I already contacted the professor and let her know about my situation to see if she thinks I should withdraw or stay in the class! I think as long as I put in enough work I can definitely get a B or B+ :)