Take MCAT Prep Course in Summer, although test will be in January?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProfDogPetter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read through a number of other threads about this, but can't seem to find one like my situation.
I haven't taken all my prerequisites yet, including the necessary Biochem and Physics 1. So, that's why I'm planning to take the MCAT in Jan. I don't think I have time to do a prep course in the fall because I have heavy classes. And I got a scholarship for a free prep course from Kaplan, so I really want to use that. Plus I don't trust myself to do well with just self-studying.

Would like some insight on whether to
1. Take a live online prep course over the summer(now), have time to thoroughly work through it, BUT have a gap of 4 months in between the end of the course and the exam
---OR---
2. try to balance one in the fall with classes and jobs, maybe negatively affect my grades, BUT have the prep course end closer to my testing date

Summer 2017:
- No classes
- Maybe shadowing here and there
- Kaplan MCAT Prep Course?

Fall 2017:
- OChem 2
- Physics 1
- Physics 1 Lab
- Biochemistry
- Honors Seminar (1 hour credit)
- Peer Educator Seminar (1 hour credit)
- VP for two orgs (10 hours/week total maybe?)
- UGTA for intro bio class (5 hours/week, more when I need to grade exams)
- Lab Assistant job (5 hours/week)
- Mentor job (2-3 hours/week)
- Study for MCAT in between classes and everything?

Winter Break:
- Study for MCAT

January 2018:
- take MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

I would finish your fall courses, go HAM during Christmas break. Take light course load in spring and take MCAT in March or April while taking physics 2. I feel like you'd be more prepared if you finished those pre-reqs without worrying about MCAT. You have a very busy schedule in the Fall, so I think you should consider my suggestion but at the end of the day you know yourself best. Good luck

Edit: fill any holes in any content gaps pertaining to Bio, GC, or ORgo I during this summer. Start CARS prep if that is a weak spot

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice. I didn't even consider pushing back my testing date, but it's a good idea. My Spring schedule looks like this:
- Physics 2 with lab
- Ochem lab
- 2 Public Health classes (for my major)
- Honors Seminar
- Same jobs minus the mentor one, because that's only in the fall

So, less hard science classes because of my public health ones, but still about the same weekly time commitment. I just worry about balancing classes and studying for the MCAT at the same time, so I'd rather take the test after winter break. But also, I don't know when I should take the prep course either if I move back my testing date to March/April. Thoughts about when to take the Kaplan course?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can still apply to medical school and take your mcat during the summer. A lot of students do. Studying for the MCAT is a full time job, and you don't want to be studying for it when you're busy taking classes, especially since you have an actual job. Think about it, let's say you do study for the MCAT during the spring/fall or whatever, and score poorly. You're gonna have to take it during the summer again anyways.

I am in sort of the same boat as you: physics I & biochem fall and physics II in the spring. What I have been advised to do is not worry about anything during the summer, maybe a light CARS review and keeping up volunteering, research, etc. Then do as the above poster said and take a very very light spring semester, go ham winter break, and take the mcat March-April. If your practice test scores aren't where you want them you could push the test to May, and even early June. By taking the class now you'll most likely forgot things you learned, would it be possible to take the prep course and self study during the winter?

Reactions: 1 users
Make sure you continue to practice MCAT during the school year. In many areas summer classes are the only options