Texas A&M c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For current students, how hard is it to find pet-friendly housing? I have 2 cats and am thinking of adopting a dog (<25lbs) and wondering if finding a place that accepts 3 pets could potentially be a struggle. Thanks!

I lived in CSTAT for 2 years. It was really easy to find pet friendly places, but harder to find a place that allowed that many animals. I think your best bet would be finding a house to rent that is owned by someone that's not a big company.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone with multiple pets + restricted breed, I highly recommend trying to live a house or duplex not owned by a company. You're much more likely to find leniencies not offered by corporately-owned housing, as has been mentioned. Plus, it tends to be way cheaper!

Also, if past years are anything to go by, you guys should be hearing about interviews this week! It looks like interview invites went out on a Tuesday last year, but has historically been a Friday. I wish you all good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
As someone with multiple pets + restricted breed, I highly recommend trying to live a house or duplex not owned by a company. You're much more likely to find leniencies not offered by corporately-owned housing, as has been mentioned. Plus, it tends to be way cheaper!

Also, if past years are anything to go by, you guys should be hearing about interviews this week! It looks like interview invites went out on a Tuesday last year, but has historically been a Friday. I wish you all good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone! @epivetlove Is it possible to find housing like this that is 1 bed/1 bath?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice everyone! @epivetlove Is it possible to find housing like this that is 1 bed/1 bath?

I think privately owned 1/1 units are few and far between. There was one I was looking at before the first semester started that was behind Northgate, but it was about $650 and I wasn't super comfortable with the neighbors... You can try CL. There's actually some pretty good listings on it, but most of the best stuff won't go up until February/March. Your biggest bang for your buck will be living with 1+ people, honestly. I spend less than $450 total for rent and utilities and I'm about 5-minutes from the school, but I live with 2 other people. Last year I was spending $850+ for a 1/1 apartment that was less than stellar, though only 3 minutes from the school. Would not recommend if you are making your way through school on your own like me.

I lived in a really nice trailer home with one person and only paid a little over $200 a month, even with my two dogs. Found that one one CL!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the info! Also, I don't know if it's taboo to ask, but do vet students at TAMU receive discounts on food, flea/HW prevention, etc.?

Thanks for the info! Also, I don't know if it's taboo to ask, but do vet students at TAMU receive discounts on food, flea/HW prevention, etc.?

Without getting into too much detail, yes. There are some discounts, but they may not always be around.

Does anybody happen to know where I can look up the curriculum for TAMU's DVM program? Every time I try to pull it up on their website it says "Page Not Found".

Does anybody happen to know where I can look up the curriculum for TAMU's DVM program? Every time I try to pull it up on their website it says "Page Not Found".
Hmmm....they must have taken that page down, too.

There were previous mistakes with the curriculum as it's changed fairly recently, so I understand why it's been taken down. But the cost of attendance page? That being down makes me nervous.

Looks like COA stayed the same (hopefully)?

I have a feeling we might be waiting until tomorrow at 5pm to hear about interviews... of course my top choice is the last one I'll hear back from! Hang in there guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like it's back down again... At least for me!

Well, shoot. I promise it was there a second ago! Its down for me now too.

Dang it! It really was up for a sec! How many more times do I have to refresh that page?!

I have a feeling we might be waiting until tomorrow at 5pm to hear about interviews... of course my top choice is the last one I'll hear back from! Hang in there guys!

5pm? That will be 2am in the morning for me! Looks like I won't be getting any sleep Friday night. At least it is the week-end!

I think tuition went up slightly, but I'm not positive. I've screen-capped the page so I can use it for reference in the future. Tuition took a huge leap in 2012 (i.e. it doubled), so hopefully there won't be any big increases anytime soon.

And I received my interview invite via email around 9:30am back when I applied. If you have to wait until tomorrow, hopefully it'll be earlier in the day rather than later! Fingers crossed for all of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck everyone!! If yall have any questions let me know!! Im a first year student right now. I know how hard the waiting can be but its all worth it :)

Oh god I thought that was someone posting about an interview and my heart dropped to my stomach... Lol. Good luck everyone!!

How long are they ging to make us wait?? :/
kF174Oo.gif

Reactions: 4 users
I wonder if they'll make us wait till 5 so they don't have to deal with phone calls from people...

Got an interview! I was notified by email. Did anybody else get one yet? I hope y'all do!

Good luck everyone! I remember the nerve wracking time I had last year at this time! No matter what, everything works out the way it is supposed to so just remember that! If anyone needs anything, please let me know!

It is a no for me again this year :(
Do those who received interviews mind sharing their stats?

Just got my rejection email. Congrats to everyone who got an invite though, and good luck!

It is a no for me again this year :(
Do those who received interviews mind sharing their stats?

I got my interview! I don't know what else to say right now other than don't be too down on yourself. I applied last year, got rejected, and was really upset with myself. I am sure you are more than qualified. Please don't give up! I wish you the very best of luck!

Rejection. Honestly pretty shocked because I'm in state and I've been offered interviews at 4 other schools and put on an alternate list at a 5th. :(

Congrats to all those offered interviews! And I'm sorry to those who also got rejected :(

Has anyone not heard back yet? I have yet to get any kind of email. I checked to make sure if i had a mistake in the email i put down but there isn't one.

Well, not this year for me either. Congratulations to all who got invites.

Got an interview! Congrats to everyone who got interviews and sorry to those who didn't this round. Now everyone have a stress-free weekend of not constantly checking for emails!

Has anyone not heard back yet? I have yet to get any kind of email. I checked to make sure if i had a mistake in the email i put down but there isn't one.
You can check the interview portal. If you got an interview, there would be a date and time listed.

Congrats to those that received an interview invite! And so sorry to those that didn't get one. A&M doesn't know what they're missing! I hope that another school is smart enough to snatch you up!

Rejected, again. :beat:

Was upset for a minute, but then realized it's their loss. Thankfully, I'm interviewing elsewhere at another school that understands that my GPA does not define me and appreciates me for the amazing applicant I am!

To everyone who got an interview, congrats. To those of you that didn't, don't let anyone make you feel like you're anything less than amazing!

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected, again. :beat:

Was upset for a minute, but then realized it's their loss. Thankfully, I'm interviewing elsewhere at another school that understands that my GPA does not define me and appreciates me for the amazing applicant I am!

To everyone who got an interview, congrats. To those of you that didn't, don't let anyone make you feel like you're anything less than amazing!

❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Interviewing on Jan 9th! Sorry to those who didn't--good luck in your other apps and don't forget you only need one school to love you!

For current students, I'm not sure how much you're allowed to reveal about how MMI is conducted at A&M, but I know it varies quite widely school-by-school--can you describe the setup a little bit (whether there's a timer visible/if your interviewers can interact with you/if they give you pen+paper to take notes)? The letter was pretty vague (purposely, maybe?) in terms of what to expect. Thanks a bunch and congrats to everyone else who got interviews!

No timer that I remember. The interviewers are trained to give little to no feedback. We got pen and paper. It goes by really quickly. Try not to stress too much! And honestly, not a lot of prep you can do.

I loved the MMI format. You really can't prepare for it but it is an opportunity to demonstrate who you are as they don't have any other information about you. Just relax and have fun with it! For those that didn't get an interview this year. I was rejected 4 times before I finally made it in. I went on and completed my Master's degree in the meantime and I think it made me a better person and stronger applicant. Just don't give up if this your dream..

Reactions: 3 users
I disagree with the not preparing, certainly familiarize yourself with AVMA ethics standards and I recommend watching the MMI youtube video! Best of luck and don't get down on yourself, it took me three times to get in!

I'm in the same boat as you. I, too, have not heard anything. :/

Can someone post the link to the interview portal? Thanks :)

I'm in the same boat as you. I, too, have not heard anything. :/

I haven't either! This has been a terrible weekend, with me wondering what it could mean... lol. Is there any precedent for this? I can only hope the emails will go out Monday, if not I suppose I'll have to call to see what's going on. :(

They have sent me my rejection letter 3 times now. I GET IT! :unsure:

I'm sorry you guys. They've sent me one 3 times as well. Y'all are amazing! TAMU is missing out, don't let it get you down!

For those of us still waiting for an email, I called this morning to find out what's going on. There was some glitch that meant our letters didn't get sent. They are re-sending emails today.

They have sent me my rejection letter 3 times now. I GET IT! :unsure:

THIS! I got my third one this morning that didn't even have a name or address attached. At this point, I want to write the dean a letter and let them know how heartless and unprofessional it is to be so careless with rejection letters.