Texas A&M c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm trying to call in and find out right now. That's very sweet of you to say though. Thanks :)
Ok I called. Unfortunately there are two separate lists in state and out of state. So if anyone is from out of state and knows they will be attending another school, I would encourage you to let Texas A and M know so that those of us on the wait list can get some peace of mind. I know I'm going to be crazy until I hear for sure :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok I called. Unfortunately there are two separate lists in state and out of state. So if anyone is from out of state and knows they will be attending another school, I would encourage you to let Texas A and M know so that those of us on the wait list can get some peace of mind. I know I'm going to be crazy until I hear for sure :(
Bummer
Well I hope everything works out for you!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay... So the only reason we'd be receiving a "packet" is if we were accepted, correct?

Packets (big envelopes) typically go to accepted students and those on the wait list.

Best of luck to you! I hope everything works out for you. :nod:

Congratulations to everyone that got in!! For those on the alternate list, don't despair. I was #2 last year and they moved to #7. Also, if you did not get in this year, don't give up.. Most of us that are here had multiple attempts, so if this is something you truly want to do, just keep working! If anyone has any questions or needs anything, please let me know!!

Congratulations to everyone that got in!! For those on the alternate list, don't despair. I was #2 last year and they moved to #7. Also, if you did not get in this year, don't give up.. Most of us that are here had multiple attempts, so if this is something you truly want to do, just keep working! If anyone has any questions or needs anything, please let me know!!
How long was it before you heard that you had been accepted?

Also, the c/o 2019 should be working on getting y'all's FB page up soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! When and how did they notify you that a spot opened up after you found out that you got alternate #2? 7 IS alternates got a spot?

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I got alternate number 3. Do you think I have any chance at getting in? I'm from out of state and Texas A and M is my first choice. :shrug:[/QUO

So for an IS alternate to get a spot, an IS applicant has to give up there spot?

Last edited:
So for an IS alternate to get a spot, an IS applicant has to give up there spot?
I think so,I called earlier today. They said they have two separate lists IS and OS. If you are instate, a person from instate would need to decline a spot to move the pool up. I suggest calling. They were very nice on the phone and explained to me the general process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think so, I called earlier today. They said they have two separate lists IS and OS. If you are an instate, a person from instate would need to decline a spot to move the pool up. I suggest calling. They were very nice on the phone and explained to me the general process.

I think so,I called earlier today. They said they have two separate lists IS and OS. If you are instate, a person from instate would need to decline a spot to move the pool up. I suggest calling. They were very nice on the phone and explained to me the general process.
Awesome! I will. Did they give you any info on how many IS or OOS alternates end up getting a spot?

Does anyone have any idea how many IS alternates usually end up getting a spot?

Awesome! I will. Did they give you any info on how many IS or OOS alternates end up getting a spot?
They didn't really. They tried to reassure me that the list moves pretty quickly, but I know I will not be able to rest until I know exactly what my status is. If you are an alternate as well, I wish you the best of luck! I hope it works out.

They didn't really. They tried to reassure me that the list moves pretty quickly, but I know I will not be able to rest until I know exactly what my status is. If you are an alternate as well, I wish you the best of luck! I hope it works out.
Thank you! I am alternate #3 IS! I wish the best for us both!

He guys on the alternate list! I was number #2 last year and found out on April 13 that I was in. They generally wait until close to the official acceptance date to actually move the list. It was painstaking but if you are in the top 5 the chances of you actually getting in are very good. 2018 went to about number 14 on IS waiting list, last year the list went to #7 so if you are above that, your chances are really good!

Hey! When and how did they notify you that a spot opened up after you found out that you got alternate #2? 7 IS alternates got a spot?

I received a phone call on April 13.. Yes it is another wait, but depending on your number, then your chances are pretty good.. I would probably plan on coming if you are in the top 5 IS waiting list. The OOS list moves a little differently. They usually wait until they get official declines mailed back before they start moving the list. GOOD LUCK!!! It will be ok, I promise!!

Yes, they will have to decline their spot. Once there is an official decline (by mail), then they start calling the alternate list.

I received a phone call on April 13.. Yes it is another wait, but depending on your number, then your chances are pretty good.. I would probably plan on coming if you are in the top 5 IS waiting list. The OOS list moves a little differently. They usually wait until they get official declines mailed back before they start moving the list. GOOD LUCK!!! It will be ok, I promise!!
When you say "official declines" do you mean after april 15th? Sorry to be annoying, I just am so freaked over this whole situation.

Does anyone have any idea how many IS alternates usually end up getting a spot?

Last year they went to #7 on the waiting list. The year before was to #14. It is a year by year thing, but if you are in the top 5, your chances are excellant!!

When you say "official declines" do you mean after april 15th? Sorry to be annoying, I just am so freaked over this whole situation.

I got my phone call on the 13 of April, which was earlier than I was expecting. I guess once they get the mailed back decline, then they will start moving the list. Unfortunately, I would not plan on hearing anything until at least April. It is agony, believe me.. Don't worry about the questions, I went through it so totally get how you are feeling right now. It is mixed for sure!!

Congrats to everyone who got in!! It feels so surreal to be fulfilling a 10-year long dream and I can't wait to meet all of y'all as classmates :)

Questions for current students:
1) Is there any sort of dress code at A&M for lectures?
2) Tips on what to do before the fall (like do you recommend the crash anatomy course and how early do people look for housing)?
3) Which textbooks do you use 1st year? I have a friend who graduated from Tufts and is looking to get rid of some books, so if they're the same, I'll probably just take them off her hands!
4) Are there any scholarships you can apply for 1st-4th years?
5) The email said we had to get proof of all of our vx (rabies, etc) by May--is there any way I can do this when I'm home over the summer or does it have to be in the spring?

Thanks so much!!!

Congrats to everyone who got in!! It feels so surreal to be fulfilling a 10-year long dream and I can't wait to meet all of y'all as classmates :)

Questions for current students:
1) Is there any sort of dress code at A&M for lectures?
2) Tips on what to do before the fall (like do you recommend the crash anatomy course and how early do people look for housing)?
3) Which textbooks do you use 1st year? I have a friend who graduated from Tufts and is looking to get rid of some books, so if they're the same, I'll probably just take them off her hands!
4) Are there any scholarships you can apply for 1st-4th years?
5) The email said we had to get proof of all of our vx (rabies, etc) by May--is there any way I can do this when I'm home over the summer or does it have to be in the spring?

Thanks so much!!!

1) There is, basically dress like a professional, whatever that means to you (AKA not an undergrad). Jeans and T-shirts are ok, but as long as they're neat and clean. I have a mix of colored jeans, slacks, regular jeans, and dresses (because let's be real pants = effort), and I think I'm going to invest in maxi skirts because they're not pants. Scrubs are ok, but they prefer we don't wear them every day and that they match. I wore a lot of jeans and boots in the winter because I didn't want to mess with slacks + boots, but my slacks are actually more comfortable haha.
2) Rest your brain, if you qualify for the workshop (AKA not a previous BIMS student who's taken anatomy) then that can be beneficial. Housing is best to start looking for now, but once the FB page is set up (which I think was in March or April for us, but I could easily be wrong) there will be lots of posts about vet students needing roommates, so that could definitely be worth waiting for.
3) They won't send out book orders for a while, but for first semester, our Dog dissection guide is the only one I used. You may want to wait until summer to make sure there won't be any changes in that
4) Yes and that info should be in the packet you should be getting shortly
5) Our deadline was May 29th, so whenever you have the deadline by, you have to have it done by then. I think one of the series you had to have 2/3 done by (I think it was Hepatitis, because that takes several months and most people have it done anyways)

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
1. Yes, but it's not very enforced. Just use best judgement about your wardrobe choices.
2. Relax, relax, relax. I didn't take the summer course, had little anatomy knowledge, and had 0 regrets about enjoying my summer/earning extra cash.
3. I only used the dissection guides for small and large anatomy. I got the small anatomy guide from an upperclassman.
4. Yes, you will be asked to fill out a scholarship directly through the CVM and then you will have the chance to fill out the A&M-wide application next spring. Usually everyone gets a little something. I got a butt ton of money for second year, but I have a very high GPA and I'm balls deep in debt, so...yeah. There will also be the opportunity to gain money during the year by volunteering for Travel Fund, applying for student rep positions (couple hundred dollars a semester to a couple thousand, depending), as well as other club-specific scholarships.
5. Yes, get them done sooner rather than later. I believe your rabies series has to at least be in progress by the deadline. There's a month wait time between the 2nd and the 3rd shots, if I remember correctly.

i just got my acceptance package :) it's quite nice haha

One more question!

When in the summer is that anatomy workshop held? My parents are trying to book a family vacation for the end of June, so I'm trying to make sure it doesn't conflict. Thanks!

One more question!

When in the summer is that anatomy workshop held? My parents are trying to book a family vacation for the end of June, so I'm trying to make sure it doesn't conflict. Thanks!
The acceptance packet said June 20th - Aug 5. It also said you should contact the professor of the course before you apply if there are going to be any conflicts.

For those of you on the waitlist, I know exactly what you're feeling. Just do your best to focus on other things. I was unfortunately number 8 of the waitlist last year and did not matriculate.

However, persistence pays off and i was very fortunate to receive admission into the class of 2020! I know that we all share similar dreams of becoming a veterinarian, so even if you are not accepted this year, keep up the good work and know that persistence pays off! :)

For those of you under BCBS TX who got the rabies vx covered, was it covered under preventative care? I just spent over an hour on the phone with them and they keep insisting that it's not under preventative care and they won't cover it. It's pretty pricey though, and I'd like to not pay out of pocket if possible!

I got it covered under immunizations. I also did it through the A&M Student Health Services since I had the school's insurance (which was still BCBS TX). I can try and find my packet where I wrote down what codes the vaccines were billed under. I got everything fully covered, which was very nice since I was a super poor graduate student at the time. Not that I'm not still poor. I was just even more poor back then.

I got it covered under immunizations. I also did it through the A&M Student Health Services since I had the school's insurance (which was still BCBS TX). I can try and find my packet where I wrote down what codes the vaccines were billed under. I got everything fully covered, which was very nice since I was a super poor graduate student at the time. Not that I'm not still poor. I was just even more poor back then.
That would be great, thanks! I talked to three different people from BCBS TX, and two of them told me it was covered under preventative care and one told me it wasn't, so I'm pretty confused.

For the summer workshop, will it be class everyday? How many hours each day will it be? Thanks!

So here's the thing with BCBS....Mine was 100% covered, but only because the insurance agent goofed and told my parents it was. They record their calls for "quality assurance" so thankfully they ended up covering the bill, but I got my rabies series done at Scott and White and was pretty shocked to receive a $900 bill in the mail.

Can anyone who received the packet tell me what days Orientation is slated for? Thank you!

Anyone have tips on the cheapest place to get the rabies series done? UT's health center is saying $375/shot. :(

Can anyone who received the packet tell me what days Orientation is slated for? Thank you!
Our packet didn't have the dates for Orientation--the letter said that they were going to give us more dates in May, so I think we'll know then!

Re: rabies vx @animalrie the packet had a page on the Health Clinic at A&M offering them for $720 so if you're in CS, maybe there? Unfortunately, I'm in Boston until May, so I'm in the same boat as you :(

A&M also has by far the best acceptance packet--what an awesome poster!!

Boo to no Orientation dates! They're usually the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (or was it Fri, Sat, and Sun?) right before classes begin. I'm sure it'll be the same way this year...I'm just not sure what date we start in the Fall.

A&M also has by far the best acceptance packet--what an awesome poster!!

What? You guys got a poster? No faaair. ;P

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0804.JPG.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: 3 users
For the summer workshop, will it be class everyday? How many hours each day will it be? Thanks!
I did summer workshop last summer and here was the actual schedule:
Monday and Tuesday 12:30-2pm Lecture
Monday and Tuesday 2-4pm Lab
Wednesday, Thursday, and Firday 1-3pm Lab
It seems like alot (and rest assured, we covered alot of material just not the head), but I had plenty of time to do things other than that class. Also before I went to workshop, I went on a family vacation. I definitely advocate going because it REALLY helped me. It's not guaranteed to make you an expert at anatomy or anything but I definitely struggled significantly less than my peers who hadn't taken workshop or the BIMs anatomy course before. We didn't even fill up all the spaces last summer, too, so it's likely that if the situations are the same, you'll get in. Everyone also gets to know each other really well in workshop, and in my case, the people I went to workshop with are still my friends now.

Oh, man. If Orientation is 17-19, that means classes start on the 22nd. I was hoping for the 29th. Ah well...it's just going to make things a little more interesting given when my externship ends. :rolleyes:

I have a question about student loans. What are your experience with it? Did anyone take out more than the stafford direct unsubsized loan? I won't be working during vet school so I will be living basically on that money. Is that enough? What did you guys do? Thanks!

I have a question about student loans. What are your experience with it? Did anyone take out more than the stafford direct unsubsized loan? I won't be working during vet school so I will be living basically on that money. Is that enough? What did you guys do? Thanks!

So, as someone who relies entirely on loans--yes, it's enough. You can only apply up to the COA which is lower than the direct unsubsidized amount. I think COA for 1VM was around $37,000. You're able to request a different COA if you have children, medical issues, etc. But what you can get is enough unless you like to eat out a lot, go to bars, travel, live alone, things like that. I have more expenses that the average student due to being older, but I've had plenty of money this past year by living with roommates that I was able to take out several thousand dollars less than first year (when I lived alone).

Hope that helps!