The Bullying Culture of Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tumblr_lqywxqMF8M1qgykhbo1_500.gif

One student recounted being slapped on the hand by a more senior doctor who said, "If teaching doesn't help you learn, then pain will."

ROFLMAO

Members don't see this ad :)
One student recounted being slapped on the hand by a more senior doctor who said, “If teaching doesn’t help you learn, then pain will

ROFLMAO

LMFAO. Man I haven't laughed that hard in awhile.

I didn't expect any different. Many of people who go into research and medicine are some of the worst human beings on the planet, in my experience at least.

For some reason, all the doctors I've shadowed have always treated their residents with respect though, at least in my presence. I have no idea why.

Last edited:
I didn't expect any different. Many of people who go into research and medicine are some of the worst human beings on the planet, in my experience at least.

For some reason, all the doctors I've shadowed have always treat their residents with respect though, at least in my presence. I have no idea why.

Because they are aware.

Haha, honestly if a superior talks to me like that in med school I would just laugh, and I wouldn't be able to take it seriously. I don't think medicine has any place for drill sargents.

private-pyle-gunny-demotivational-posters-1330961482.jpg

Not surprised. I've seen some of this just by hanging around hospitals. It may not be great, but people face the same challenges in all industries. Medicine is better than some others by far, although it has a lot of room for improvement. It's sad to see seminars offered on "how to get along with doctors" when the problem is bullying doctors. We can all do our part to improve the situation by not following their lead.

Another thing to keep on mind is that a lot of bad behavior comes from fellow trainees who are not trained to teach and who are stressed themselves. It's not a great excuse but something for us to keep in mind when we get yelled at down the road. I have been on the receiving end of a few of these and you just have to have perspective. Institutions may be able to help by fostering a more open culture but realistically few people are going to formally report coworkers outside of really extreme cases. Maybe 360 interviews? Who knows.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

For some reason, all the doctors I've shadowed have always treated their residents with respect though, at least in my presence. I have no idea why.

I agree with the bolded part. Some are so full of themselves that they think they can look down on others. I guess this attitude starts in ug. Most of them were probably gunners.

I've noticed this only occuring in doctors that noone would date/befriend outside of work. Also unattractive.

The second one is serious to some degree. I mean has anyone met an attractive male/female gunner? :p

Hmmmm this could be a problem with me.... I don't deal well with being disrespected...

I agree with the bolded part. Some are so full of themselves that they think they can look down on others. I guess this attitude starts in ug. Most of them were probably gunners.

speaking from my own experience-- i feel like one of the hardest parts about being a doctor for me will be dealing with a bunch of *******s with over sized egos. I can't stand people who are just disrespectful for no reason. there's no need for "bullying"

Also, when a lot of people think of "bullying," they think of residents/attendings just being rude or short with people. Which happens everywhere.

I had no idea that residents/attendings actually physically assault or sexually harass people. That's a little scary.

Also, when a lot of people think of "bullying," they think of residents/attendings just being rude or short with people. Which happens everywhere.

I had no idea that residents/attendings actually physically assault or sexually harass people. That's a little scary.

I tend to react oppositely...once they've crossed the line, I no longer have to worry about them. I've 'won', in a sense...not that I was deliberately trying to piss them off or anything, but if they can't keep themselves under control in a stressful, yet not ridiculous situation (a student not knowing answers isn't an excuse), then I no longer worry about impressing them, because I've lost respect for them. I'll still try to learn, but I won't use gaining their respect as a meter anymore. I guess it feels like I 'win' as long as I keep working and act rationally, even though there wasn't a competition or anything.

Not getting upset by bullies is the best way to piss them off without risking any trouble yourself. Eventually they get worked up enough to step over the line, and then they land themselves in hot water and can't bother you anymore.

At least they're not putting them in bows and toes...

Most normal people don't disrespect others in a day to day life anyway. People that do, I laugh at their face, roll my eyes, and realize they have no friends and will never get laid ever. So, that fat OB/GYN or surgery resident who gets mad at you, know they are gonna be a lonely freak :O

They don't. Certainly not more than anywhere else. It is not culturally acceptable for either of those. I've been in 4 different hospitals on surgical services, that isn't even remotely tolerated. You will always have idiots that do stuff like this in virtually every profession.

I would say that the tolerance for making mistakes, being uninformed or simply wrong is much lower, even if there was absolutely no way you could have known something or should have been expected to know something. I think it is debatable whether this is the best way of teaching physicians. Personally, it works. I tend to work harder and more precisely when I know I'm going to get hammered for making small mistakes. I think there are people that simply can't function well in that kind of environment.

speaking from my own experience-- i feel like one of the hardest parts about being a doctor for me will be dealing with a bunch of *******s with over sized egos. I can't stand people who are just disrespectful for no reason. there's no need for "bullying"

Even the biggest ego messes up every now and then....make sure you're there when it happens, and don't relent.

My personal story: Hotshot surgical senior touches sterile tip of chest tube drainage connector multiple times with unsterile gloves.

me (a tech), trying to be discrete: That needs to be sterile, don't worry I'll open another drainage kit.

SS: Oh, uh....(looking sort of embarrassed that a tech just corrected his mistake....hands the other surgical resident inserting the tube the dirty tip anyway)

me (to the other surgical resident, louder and more frustrated. Other people can hear me this time): Stop...that tip isn't sterile

Resident (to the SS): You broke sterile field?

SS (now very embarrassed): Uh, well... I did touch it...

**Awkward moment of angry residents and attendings exchanging glances with the surgical senior**

Sorry buddy, tried to save you at first...at least you didn't get a malpractice suit from causing a horrible nosocomial lung infection by placing a dirty connector into a chest tube.

Last edited: