The Grad School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay well, I've got a defense room now, so that's progress.

My PI's assistant is amazing, because we were having a tough time finding a room that a) could hold a decent number of people, and b) was available for 3 hours, and the description I gave her of the room I was thinking of (but couldn't remember the info about) was ... less than helpful, and she still knew what I was talking about :laugh:

"What about the room that was not in [our last lab building] but was close to it and has the weird bubble walls?"

a few minutes later

Assistant: "Yep, booked it, here's the calendar invite!"

What a goddess.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Spoilering this and please don't quote the spoilered part because I may or may not delete it later.

tl;dr: uhhh, idk. I kind of lost focus of why I was writing this post halfway through?
tl;tl;dr: lab drama, I guess?

I'm struggling a little with what to do about my defense and specifically my program announcing it. My PI is wonderful and working for him is great, but his lab historically is pretty toxic and cliquey - it always has been, even preceding the 8 years that I've been here. I've been the clique's target throughout my PhD, and that's whatever, but the defense is more of a looming problem now because of that.

I told my PI that I'd like to keep my defense on the downlow because I very much don't want most of the lab to attend - he knows about the stuff that has gone on over the last 4 years and the most recent things that were said (I had brought them up with him not because I wanted him to do anything about it, but I wanted to make sure that what was being said behind my back wasn't reflective of how HE felt about my project). And he's fine with not announcing to the lab that I'll be defending, although I think it makes him sad because he likes to live in a dream world where we all get along and are one big happy family.

But it gets a little complicated for me because my grad program within the vet school sends out emails announcing upcoming defenses, and one of the people in the lab clique is also in my program - so he will get the email, and I can guarantee that he'll disseminate that information to the remainder of the clique. I'd tried to avoid the issue by scheduling my defense over on the vet school campus, because that's a 15-20 min bus ride from the lab and that would be enough to prevent them from coming, but I wasn't able to get a room big enough to hold as many people as I know will be there, so I had to book a room on this campus instead.

(ironically, in the room where I gave my first ever lab meeting presentation, aw)

But I don't really know what to do now. I know that whether they show up or not doesn't matter - they're not the ones who are passing me, and I'm confident that I'll pass my defense just fine. But I'd rather not have toxic presences in the room for my big day, and at this point, I don't see a way to avoid it.

I'm not stressed about it the way I would be if my work hadn't been validated by people who actually matter - in all honesty, the toxicity toward me ramped up a LOT after I presented this work at FACTOR OS and was treated at the conference like I was the next darling little ingenue, so I'm fairly certain that there's a big jealousy component to it - I've kind of transitioned to not caring what they say/think, for the most part, but I still don't really want them there.

Idk what I'm aiming for with this post. Suggestions? Help? Commiseration? Maybe I'm just thought spewing?
trying to avoid doing data analysis, that's what

idk. welcome to the inside of my head I guess.

Edit: to put into perspective how bad things are toxicity-wise, my PI literally moved me to a different lab space in a different building, that is otherwise only used sporadically by our mouse colony manager, none of the other grad students are up here, because that was the easiest way to tamp down on the nonstop bullying that was going on toward me. aka not actually addressing the problem, just removing me from the situation so they could continue to do it behind my back instead of right in front of me.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Holy heck and a half that sounds awful. I definitely feel like your PI should have actually addressed the toxicity, especially if it's been a continual thing. Could you set up a list of either allowed or disallowed people for your defense? Like at an exclusive night club, but for something way cooler.

Spoilering this and please don't quote the spoilered part because I may or may not delete it later.
Every chick flick has that moment when the star with her newfound confidence rubs it in the face of her haters. I’m just imagining your defense as that moment for you, complete with motivational musical score, and that slo-mo moment when everyone carries you out of the room on their shoulders.

WHO CARES WHAT THE HATERS THINK?!??

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Every chick flick has that moment when the star with her newfound confidence rubs it in the face of her haters. I’m just imagining your defense as that moment for you, complete with motivational musical score, and that slo-mo moment when everyone carries you out of the room on their shoulders.

WHO CARES WHAT THE HATERS THINK?!??
I also know some people have worn superhero shirts as undershirts to their defenses. They seemed to appreciate the extra confidence boost, and now I'm imagining this scene with a torn blouse to reveal a Wonder Woman shirt or something.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Is there any way for the program to not include your defense in that email? Like if you were to go to the person who sends them out and depending on if they seem like a reasonable person, explain briefly the issue and ask if it would be possible to not include yours in the email to limit the number of lab members who know about it?

Reactions: 1 user
Every chick flick has that moment when the star with her newfound confidence rubs it in the face of her haters.
Thinking about this while making my lab meeting slides for the last lab meeting I'll ever give for this group.

Seems like a perfect time to rub their faces in the fact that my work is going to clinic. :heckyeah:

Is there any way for the program to not include your defense in that email? Like if you were to go to the person who sends them out and depending on if they seem like a reasonable person, explain briefly the issue and ask if it would be possible to not include yours in the email to limit the number of lab members who know about it?
I'm working on this too. The program is a bit resistant to it thus far, but I can be very persuasive.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
You’re all cordially invited to my thesis defense on 12/12 (2 weeks from today) at 1pm CST. I’ll send a zoom link to whomever wants it :)

@Doctor-S

Edit because apparently it’s Monday already. Who knew.

Last edited:
  • Love
I did the thing!!!!!!!

1670890988914.png

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I finished up 1/2 finals yesterday and am getting an A in my Biology of Veterinary Pathogens class! It's the first time I've really felt like I can thrive in vet med. It probably helped the the last few weeks were right up my alley with evolutionary pressures and diseases my podcasts have covered. Turns out it really helps when you learn things you're interested in.

One gen chem final tomorrow and a final project due Friday and I'm done with my first semester of Grad school!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
My curriculum change went through and I'm officially an on-campus student for my MVS. And going forward, UIUC is going to pay for it because I'm an employee. I really struggled to get in to Grad school so it feels good to be in this spot.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I start the new masters semester today, and thankfully have a week to settle in before starting gen chem 2 next week. Much more worried about gen chem because the homework software makes me want to throw my laptop off a bridge.

The Hubs is a working chemist (and therefore works with many chemists) so I'll have a lot of support on that content.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users