*** The Official LECOM Dental Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

From my limited research, I have found that it's cheaper the further away you are from LECOM. From what I remember, the housing allowance from financial aid is only $950 a month. One of the tour guides said that some people got a big house and split the costs that way. That could actually be beneficial living with fellow students.

Input from @faceplantjae ?
And do you know if there are any apt complexes close by? Would a car be necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

AWESOME!! are they any specific brand the scrubs? do they have a logo? Love all your info ... hey I have another question.. when does LECOM do the white coat ceremony?

ThankYou
:)
Hello,
As for the scrubs. They will have to be purchased from Benco Dental. They are the distributor for everything we have to buy or use. Unfortunatly it is hard to find the colors that match. I have tried but Benco's price is actually pretty cheap. And yes they do have a logo.... LECOM school of dental medicine. Dr. H will come in during orientation and will present each student with his or her set of scrubs. This is our version of a white coat ceremony. They don't do a 'white coat ceremony' because we start patient interactions the second semester of our first year. Your family will be allowed to come this day for this as well as a tour of the school so they can see it too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
From my limited research, I have found that it's cheaper the further away you are from LECOM. From what I remember, the housing allowance from financial aid is only $950 a month. One of the tour guides said that some people got a big house and split the costs that way. That could actually be beneficial living with fellow students.

Input from @faceplantjae ?

You guys are correct. The further you go from lakewood ranch the cheaper. There is an apartment complex right across the street called lost creek. Rent is expensive, and they limit LECOM students to 40 percent total occupancy. Some students live at colonial grand or the springs. Both are about a 10 min drive to LECOM. Most students have room mates. I am sorry I don't know the prices or availability. I bought a house in Palmetto which is about 20 min away. If you are looking for a house to buy, there are tons of places for sale. But the market is rebounding here so prices are going up quick. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
And do you know if there are any apt complexes close by? Would a car be necessary?

Hello, a car in the Bradenton area is necessary. I am from Texas and I am used to everything being close together. But here in this area, things are spread out. Some students have purchased mopeds to get around. A couple of students have houses in the Parks and ride bicycles to school. Anything fun is atleast a 15 min drive. Hope this helps

Hello, a car in the Bradenton area is necessary. I am from Texas and I am used to everything being close together. But here in this area, things are spread out. Some students have purchased mopeds to get around. A couple of students have houses in the Parks and ride bicycles to school. Anything fun is atleast a 15 min drive. Hope this helps

I am from Texas too...! It's good to see some Texans there

Btw, do you know if there is any scholarship available beside the HPSP?

Btw, do you know if there is any scholarship available beside the HPSP?

They have the HPSP, exceptional financial need scholarships, student ambassador scholarships, and acedemic scholarships. BTW, Im from Austin. and you?

Houston man. I will be seeing you soon. Thanks for all of the info, very informative

They have the HPSP, exceptional financial need scholarships, student ambassador scholarships, and acedemic scholarships. BTW, Im from Austin. and you?

And do you know how you would go about obtaining these scholarships? Besides the HPSP.

*Sorry that I am asking so many questions!!*

Has anyone received their actual acceptance mail by snail mail yet?

And do you know how you would go about obtaining these scholarships? Besides the HPSP.

*Sorry that I am asking so many questions!!*
No worries with all the questions. As for the scholarships, once LECOM receives your deposit and you are added into the system, you will have full access to the financial aid stuff on the website. You apply there for the scholarships. You can also find outside scholarships and put LECOM as the recipient school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to this school really late. I just turned in my secondary application yesterday. My question is, do I still have a chance to get in? Are they still interviewing?

I misplaced the financial aid forms the office provided during the interview. Does anyone have a detailed breakdown of the cost of attendance? (I have checked the website, and I think the breakdown provided there doesn't tell the whole story..) Thank you.

Last edited:
I misplaced the financial aid forms the office provided during the interview. Does anyone have a detailed breakdown of the cost of attendance? (I have checked the website, and I think the breakdown provided there doesn't tell the whole story..) Thank you.

Tuition-48000
curiculum fee- 300
technical fee-300
graduation fee- 250
student gov -50
disability insurance-695
health insurance-3000
room -10750
board-4500
books/supplies-10820
transportation-1808
other-2920
average loan fees-2255

TOTAL- 85648 ( I just took this right off the paper they gave us)

Tuition-48000
curiculum fee- 300
technical fee-300
graduation fee- 250
student gov -50
disability insurance-695
health insurance-3000
room -10750
board-4500
books/supplies-10820
transportation-1808
other-2920
average loan fees-2255

TOTAL- 85648 ( I just took this right off the paper they gave us)
Much thanks!

Anyone going to be interviewing 1/16 who wants to coordinate transportation or something and split cost?

/ Any current students looking to house a prospective student?

Just send me a message on here!

Last edited:
I have it, I can send you a pic if you still need it

Rejected :D:D via snail mail, interviewed in September.

Got the acceptance letter in mail today

Reactions: 1 users
No worries with all the questions. As for the scholarships, once LECOM receives your deposit and you are added into the system, you will have full access to the financial aid stuff on the website. You apply there for the scholarships. You can also find outside scholarships and put LECOM as the recipient school.

I have some questions for you. I have just received the acceptance letter. They ask for deposit, transcripts, enrollment to health insurance, emergency data form, criminal background check....
Do I have to finish all at the same time or I can submit the deposit and transcripts and working on the rest, get them complete before July?
I cant find the emergency data form at all? Did you have to do this when you matriculated?
What about the background check...to my understanding, I would do it on my own, and send in a copy of the result right?
Please share your experience when you got the letter...how did you deal with this?
Sorry for all the questions, I just want thing to go smooth. Thanks for your help man

I have some questions for you. I have just received the acceptance letter. They ask for deposit, transcripts, enrollment to health insurance, emergency data form, criminal background check....
Do I have to finish all at the same time or I can submit the deposit and transcripts and working on the rest, get them complete before July?
I cant find the emergency data form at all? Did you have to do this when you matriculated?
What about the background check...to my understanding, I would do it on my own, and send in a copy of the result right?
Please share your experience when you got the letter...how did you deal with this?
Sorry for all the questions, I just want thing to go smooth. Thanks for your help man

The only thing you really need to do right away is pay the deposit, and you should have a month for that. Then you will get your matriculation packet which will tell you how to go about doing all the other stuff.

got mine today. It basically says pay $2000 and lets talk. lol

DentalElle, atleast you have options, so that is a good thing. As for you indecisive tendencies towards selecting a school to matriculate, it is a huge decision that should not be taken lightly. After all, you are paying a lot of money, and expect a good education. I will give you the description that you are seeking, but do take note that this is from MY experience at LECOM so far as a D1 student. So here we go...

A lot of people are having doubts about the school, even as accepted students. Here is a list of the concernes most D1's have:
1) relocation to the offsite clinic.
2) PBL
3) funding (interest rates and aggregate loan amounts)
4) pass/ fail grading
5) student activates and/ or student organizations

In my opinion, all of these should be addressed during the interview process for potential applicants. These are concerns that should help aid everyone in their decision making process to pick the school best suited for their self. I feel that the only concern is the funding part. But they are provisionally accredited and have federal funds available. With the interest rates continuing to increase, it will always be a concern. There is no subsidized loans for graduate schools, so more of the PLUS loans must be taken out at a higher interest rate. LECOM is not a state school, so tuition fees will be higher. The relocation and how it will be decided was a concern. But, as students, we all knew about this during our interview, so it is not surprise. It has been decided that you get to pick which one you want to go to and if more select a particular site, names will be drawn. But, with the D2's, both sites were chosen equally by the students and 10 or so did not care which one they are going to. So it worked out great. People are more concerned with what schedule they are going to work at the off site clinic. So Dean H, is giving those that did not care what site they went to, first choice in the schedule. Pass/fail grading.... Well this is a problem for those who want to specialize. But, LECOM's focus is on primary care. Again, we all knew about this during the interview. But, if you do want to specialize, LECOM will provide the numerical grade to those programs of your choosing. Student clubs/ organizations are very limited. Well there is only a few organizations currently here. But with it being a new school, there is funding available for students to start new ones. So I personally feel that funding is the only problem, and as someone in charge of our own future, we should ask millions of questions and research everything before making an educated decision on what school to attend that best suits your own needs.

Some people complain that the school is too bland. To me it is not that bland. The color scheme is relaxing and inviting. Very simple. I would rather it be this way so I can keep my focus. But how many times do you actually walk somewhere in any building, and actually look at the walls the entire time? You don't. You look at the people, you converse with others, or look at the amenities that are offered, the technology that is offered, or the vision of a unique dental program. But, if you really want to look at something, then look at our strange (seemingly out of place clown displays), our huge pond in the back with three fountains, or the metal art in the back of the parking lots. But, I guarantee you that you not even care of the "bland aspect of the walls. You will be so intent with conversing with others and actively learning, you won't care. Plus, it is the students and the faculty that give the school its personality, not the decor.

But, it is a new school, and there will be bugs (which they have found out with the inaugural class as well as ours), but they have changed it for the C/O 2017, and it will probably change slightly for the C/O 2018. Examples: PBL is no longer with the DO students, and the dental assisting was changed because most of the D2 students stated that it was like shadowing instead of actually assisting. Which, we all did to get into dental school. So now it is more focused, on the business aspect of the dental office. The program will get better with every class that comes into the school. They also give you a big" (someone from the upper class), to help answer any questions you may have (either about the area or about the school, classes, or anything else you can think of). They are here to help you, not screw you. To give you an idea, the SGA and ASDA has hosted four or five "mixers" to get to know your class as well as the inaugural class within the first week of school. This was fantastic, and should be mentioned.

As for the facilities, Everything is new. The clinics are just now being completed and should be fully open this summer. You get your own chair so you won’t have to "fight" to get one once you get to the clinical aspect. As for the chairs, they are some of the best out there (they have memory foam and have a massage feature). And if I am not mistaken, they cost over $10,000 apiece. In the sim lab, you work on a dummy with a computer screen attached. Again, expensive and nice. So far this first semester, we have: taken impressions, done oral exams, extraoral exams and vital signs, made custom trays and wax ups, made three complete denture settingss, done a few composite and amalgam fillings, articulation, facebow registrations, practiced collecting patient history and records. All of these we have done on each other or the dummy (mine is named Fred). In January, we get our first denture patient from a local organization, were we will have to make complete upper and lowers for an edentulous patient. So we get our first patient in our first year.

I must talk about the clinical experience now. This is THE school for that. You get more than any other school in the country, and you WILL be sought after because of this once you graduate. You start doing dentures for individuals who are in need during the spring of your first year, and your clinical hours increase as you progress through the program. Your entire fourth year will be at an offsite dental clinic that LECOM has built and paid for to service individuals in need. You will get thousands of hours of experience before you graduate.

As for my typical week… I am in group B so I start school at 10 am. The first 8 weeks you are in class or lab for about 5 hours per day with Fridays off. Then your schedule will be something like this (my current schedule)

Monday 10am – 5pm
Tuesday 10am- 4pm
Wednesday 10am – 5pm
Thursday 10am – 1pm
Friday 10am – 12pm

The lectures are not that bad. Boring at times, but you will always learn something. For Gross anatomy, there is no lecture. You read 100-150 pages, memorize it and you are tested one a week. You will go over everything except the lower extremities. You will need to memorize every muscle, artery, vein, organ, nerve, and bone. This was difficult for some people, but it is straight memorization. Classes last anywhere from 8-10 weeks and you only take 2-3 lectures at a time and a couple of labs. Each lecture is 2 hours long twice a week.

As for the PBL, it is 2 hours long and meet three times a week. This process is a work in progress. It changed for us, and it WILL change for the new class. It is getting better though. It is difficult just because of the fact that you will have individuals in your group that do not do the readings and makes things drag out. Test is usually between 10 and 20 chapters. I like PBL because I like the discussions and the academic debate until the facts are all out. I learn better that way.

And finally……. The professors. They are all fantastic and are willing to help you in any way they can. They are very accessible and willing to meet with a scheduled meeting. Just send them an email. There are a few that (to me) seem like they are inferior, and you will always have those types of individuals. But, for the most part, all of the administration and faculty will know you by name by the first 10 weeks. They are very personable.

Holy crap that took a long time, but hopefully it answered all your questions. Good luck in the decision making process.

Your responses on here have been so helpful. With gross anatomy, do you have models you get to learn from? How about with dental/facial/upper extremities anatomy, do you have cadavers or models then? Do you get a bone box?

I got mine on Saturday (i'm in CA), the letter was dated Dec 4.

Just got an interview invite today for February 6th. I'm OOS, so if anyone is down to share a hotel room let me know.

Congratulations on those that have been accepted, and if you decide to attend LECOM, I think you will be very happy with your decision. But, LECOM is not for everyone, and as with most schools, they all have pros and cons. For those that have been waitlisted or have post Dec 2nd interviews, it is not over. They interviewed all the way through the Spring last year. And if I remember correctly (for my class), over 6300 people interviewed, over 500 acceptance letters went out, and only 100 are attending. It has been a very long time since I have been on here, so if anyone has any questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Homie, you got these numbers way off. Words from Jessie: last year they had ~2.5k applicants. This year it's 5k, and they interview ~500. They do not send out 500 acceptance letters LOL.
Anyway, I got wait-listed :(
anyone remember how many they wait-list? I know Jessie said the #, but i forgot.

Homie, you got these numbers way off. Words from Jessie: last year they had ~2.5k applicants. This year it's 5k, and they interview ~500. They do not send out 500 acceptance letters LOL.
Anyway, I got wait-listed :(
anyone remember how many they wait-list? I know Jessie said the #, but i forgot.
if I wrote it down right she said 50 out of 130 were accepted from the wait list

So basically all post dec interviews are to fill up the waitlist? Wondering how many spots are reserved for post dec interviewees.....i would have to reconsider my trip to lecom in january if im flying there just to add another number to a waitlist....

I got this in the email today from LECOM.

The Admissions Committee has reviewed your file and a decision has not yet been made regarding an interview. The Admissions Committee will meet to review your application every 90 days; you will be notified if there is a change in their decision at that time.

I posted this in the acceptance/rejection thread but I was wondering if you guys got anything similar or know if it is a rejection.

Alternate list :-/

LECOM Portal:
The LECOM Bradenton Office of Admissions received your confirmation to accept a position on the Alternate list. Notification of acceptance can take place up until the first day...

Still gonna be a dentist though :)

So basically all post dec interviews are to fill up the waitlist? Wondering how many spots are reserved for post dec interviewees.....i would have to reconsider my trip to lecom in january if im flying there just to add another number to a waitlist....
Hope this is not the case.

Alternative list. Have "two weeks" to decide but deadline is december 18. ok..?

Lol did they send any rejection letters to interviewees?

Lol did they send any rejection letters to interviewees?

I got one, Dec 4th via snail mail. But do not feel sorry for me as I got into my top choice schools

I've got mine in! Cant wait to see y'all in July!

Cogratulations!
May I ask why you chose to atted lecom? Perhaps lecom was your only acceptance? You are from Bradenton? There are many things to consider before one finally comits to one school and with lecom being a very new dental school, there are also many things to be improved such as rotation problem, pbl learning may not fit for some ppl, accredition, curriculum and etc...i am very curious to see what conviced you so storngly to attend lecom.
Thank you for your opinion in advance.

Anybody else told they would be re-reviewed after fall grades? What do you think this means?

Declined my acceptance today. Good luck to someone who needs that spot