*** The Official UCSF School of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
3rd Interview Invite

Residency: HI
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/25/18
Application complete date: 7/20/18
Invite received: 8/17/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.83, 3.80
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 26/25/23/30/none

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does the school respond to your email when you email them back to accept the invitation?

1st Interview Invite, Oct. 15th!

Residency: IL
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/22/2018
Application complete date: 7/17/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.37, 3.42
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/23/24/23/none

I was really surprised to receive an invite since my GPA isn't very high!

Last edited:
How many rounds of interviews are there? Do they fill up the class by Dec 1 or before?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I wish there were more current UCSF students to tell us about the school, interview, and interview process :/

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone shed some light on the writing prompt? How can I prepare?

EDIT: Post-webinar: the writing prompt is usually a quote or idea. You are given 30 minutes to respond. The purpose is to see how we are able to articulate explain our views (i.e. were you the one that completed your application) and to get insight into how we think/who we are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I never got an access link to the webinar today, The Dental Interview: Tips and Strategies... can someone ask if they will post it somewhere? Thanks!!

Here is the link to today's webinar:

Has anyone who applied to dentstay heard back yet?

Here is the link to today's webinar:

Has anyone who applied to dentstay heard back yet?

i haven't heard back yet about DentStay.

Last edited:
In the webinar, they mentioned they interview about 300 students and 90 students enroll.
So do you think they accept around 150 students?

I have received four interview invites so far (LECOM, UK, Iowa, and Michigan) but was denied at UCSF. I called to ask why and was told that maybe I needed to improve my scores... 22 AA, 22 TS, 3.51 oGPA and 3.79 BCP GPA. I told him my scores and he said that maybe it was my experience but then I told him that I was a dental assistant in the military (Air Force) and was awarded a medal for my volunteer work. He then preceded to tell me that he was short-staffed and that they cannot look at individual applications to provide feedback. I wish I would have received that information initially but I wish even more that I knew why they didn't want me. However, I thought I'd let anyone on here know that they should not be discouraged. UCSF is a unique school and looks for peoples whose values align with theirs. Best of luck to everyone though! UCSF is still a great school and SF is a great place to live.

Hello OOS applicant here and received interview invite! Never been to cali and stoked to be in san fran!
Residency: GA
Application complete date: 7/6/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.79, 3.78
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 26/23/22/24/none

Hello OOS applicant here and received interview invite! Never been to cali and stoked to be in san fran!
Residency: GA
Application complete date:
7/6/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.79, 3.78
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 26/23/22/24/none
Congrats! I'm from GA too and received my interview invitation 2 weeks ago! best of luck

Rejected :arghh:. App complete 8/17 (took DAT send of July). 23AA/23TS/21PAT and 3.67s/oGPA. Good luck to everyone else though!!

Rejected at 1:14AM today by email.
Under review on 8/28
cGPA/sGPA: 3.58/3.59
DAT: 22AA/22TS/24RC/20QR
Good luck everyone

I have received four interview invites so far (LECOM, UK, Iowa, and Michigan) but was denied at UCSF. I called to ask why and was told that maybe I needed to improve my scores... 22 AA, 22 TS, 3.51 oGPA and 3.79 BCP GPA. I told him my scores and he said that maybe it was my experience but then I told him that I was a dental assistant in the military (Air Force) and was awarded a medal for my volunteer work. He then preceded to tell me that he was short-staffed and that they cannot look at individual applications to provide feedback. I wish I would have received that information initially but I wish even more that I knew why they didn't want me. However, I thought I'd let anyone on here know that they should not be discouraged. UCSF is a unique school and looks for peoples whose values align with theirs. Best of luck to everyone though! UCSF is still a great school and SF is a great place to live.

when did you complete your app for michigan?

Received an interview invite last night around 10:00 PM (PST) for this Friday, 9/14! I guess someone canceled last minute and I filled that opening (according to the email)...excited nonetheless! UCSF is definitely my top choice. :)

Interview #4

Residency: CA (Bay Area!)
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/4/2018
Application complete date: 8/7/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.56
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/20/24/19/none

Last edited:
Received an interview invite last night around 10:00 PM (PST) for this Friday, 9/14! I guess someone dropped out last minute and I filled that opening (according to the email)...excited nonetheless! UCSF is definitely my top choice. :)

Interview #4

Residency: CA (Bay Area!)
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/4/2018
Application complete date: 8/7/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.56
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/20/24/19/none

woah! Good luck!

What’d y’all think of UCSF yesterday? I thought it was surprisingly laid back, and was super impressed by the campus.

Reactions: 2 users
What’d y’all think of UCSF yesterday? I thought it was surprisingly laid back, and was super impressed by the campus.

ooh, I have mine in October! What was the campus like? I've never been.

ooh, I have mine in October! What was the campus like? I've never been.

You feel very one with nature. Lots of trees around it and views of the bridge. All while maintaining the big city feel.

Would you mind sharing what did your interview day look like?
Was is open file?
Did they question your application answers or they just wanted to get to know you?
What was your impression of what they look for in their ideal candidate?

Would you mind sharing what did your interview day look like?
Was is open file?
Did they question your application answers or they just wanted to get to know you?
What was your impression of what they look for in their ideal candidate?

We had a discussion about the school, its curriculum, and the future of the program. We then went on a tour led by students, and got to eat lunch with students as well. It was not open file, and there were really no questions asked about my application. One interview w/ a faculty member and one with a student. Everything was pretty conversational (maybe a couple ethical questions like what would you do if your superior did something unethical, what would you do if a superior pressured you to do something unethical -- but it really depends on your interviewer). One of mine was pure conversation, and the other had a tiny bit of dentistry involved, but out of my interviews, these two were some of the most laid-back. We then wrote an essay (cannot really talk much about this, its just to see if you can formulate a sentence I think), and then had the financial aid talk.

What's my impression of their ideal candidate? I'm not sure. People frequently get rejected here very early in the cycle who have a 25 AA and a 4.0. Not sure what they look at as grounds to invite you, but if you're invited then you have every trait that they want. From here, they want to see that you're personable, not arrogant, and are able to make a good name for UCSF.

Reactions: 5 users
It was really nice. I didn't realize you had your interview the same day as mine.

Submitted my application at the end of August. Received a rejection for the combined DDS and PhD program two days ago. Have yet to received a decision for the regular DDS program... anyone still waiting for their decision?

Submitted my application at the end of August. Received a rejection for the combined DDS and PhD program two days ago. Have yet to received a decision for the regular DDS program... anyone still waiting for their decision?
Stats?

So I'm still in shock and I'm a little late in posting this, but here it is. Received an interview to UCSF and I'm super excited :rofl:Also, this is my third time applying.

Notification date: 8/22/18
Method of notification: Email
Residency: FL
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/29/18 (verified 7/31/18)
Application complete date: 8/15/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.1, 3.32 (Master’s 3.43, 3.70)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/21/23/20
Interview date: 10/19/18

Rejected yesterday :( Good luck everyone!

My application was complete mid July and my stats are in my signature. Good luck!

for those who have already interviewed, does UCSF interview applicants in groups? I had an interview with 11 other people in my group last Monday I'm trying to figure out if UCSF does the same.

for those who have already interviewed, does UCSF interview applicants in groups? I had an interview with 11 other people in my group last Monday I'm trying to figure out if UCSF does the same.

25 or so people

Status
Not open for further replies.