**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that proving your ability to pay for all four years is a condition of receiving your F-1 visa.
I am considered as an international in terms of financial aid but I do not need F-1. I guess my situation little differ. Thanks for the comment!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm attempting to give up my acceptance. OOS. Do I email Dr. Chang or someone else? Or is there a form I am to fill out?

I'm attempting to give up my acceptance. OOS. Do I email Dr. Chang or someone else? Or is there a form I am to fill out?
Dr. Chang and Ms. Betzy Lozano

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we decline the offer via responding to the acceptance email?

Anyone get an interview offer for their last interview in jan?

To the students that have been offered a seat at UDM this cycle, do mind shooting your stats for us hopeful pre-dents that are currently underclassmen in undergrad. Thanks in advance :)

Hey! When you guys confirmed you wanted to stay on the waitlist, did you get a confirmation email???

Hey! When you guys confirmed you wanted to stay on the waitlist, did you get a confirmation email???
Nope. But in the initial email they said that you can safely assume you are on the wait list until you ask to be taken off. People in this first group of acceptances have until Thursday to pay their deposit, so hopefully the wait list starts moving soon.

Future Dent Student: it never hurts sending a letter indicating your continued interest in their program. Actually it may help if you know what to put in the letter. Here, you are asking competing applicants what you should do to further yourself above them so sometimes you will not get an honest answer. UDM will never push your candidacy down because of the honest expression of you wanting to be a student at their school. Calling admissions does not help, they are just administrators and not decision makers, Dr. Jeffers and members of their admission committee are.
Let me help you with that, I will send you mail...
Sorry, tried, but your profile does not accepts conversations o_O,
It actually hurts. Jeffers specifically mentioned they will lower your ranking if you bother them. With such a long waitlist, I would rather keep it quite and wait for their decision.

I just want to double check something:

UDM makes a total of 359 offers every year and 144 people will be enrolled by the end of the cycle. If they have made 250 offers on Dec 3rd, does this mean that they will make another 110 offers between now and August?

Reactions: 1 user
I just want to double check something:

UDM makes a total of 359 offers every year and 144 people will be enrolled by the end of the cycle. If they have made 250 offers on Dec 3rd, does this mean that they will make another 110 offers between now and August?
Some people will take themselves off the wait list if they find out they got in elsewhere. Some people may also immediately decline when they get called off the wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
have anyone gotten accepted off the waitlist???

have anyone gotten accepted off the waitlist???
Last year, they started calling a week after. Yesterday was the day that the December 3 people needed to give them a decision by.

It actually hurts. Jeffers specifically mentioned they will lower your ranking if you bother them. With such a long waitlist, I would rather keep it quite and wait for their decision.

you are wrong but
I sent a letter last year and got a response from the professor on the committee and also got accepted, so I know that sending a letter helps.

you are wrong but

I sent a letter last year and got a response from the professor on the committee and also got accepted, so I know that sending a letter helps.
Who did you direct the letter of intent to?

you are wrong but

What did you discuss in the letter?

Also Dr. Jeffers did say that you can be moved down if you come across as annoying. But I assume that is only if you contact them too often with frivolous updates, or if you contact them to ask about where you are ranked on the wait list because they specifically said not to.

Did anyone who’s waitlisted hear anything back? I thought that they would start calling after Jan 3ed, but it doesn’t seem that they called anyone yet?
Should I start thinking about the next cycle and lose hope ?

Did anyone who’s waitlisted hear anything back? I thought that they would start calling after Jan 3ed, but it doesn’t seem that they called anyone yet?
Should I start thinking about the next cycle and lose hope ?
They said January 3 is when the December 3 people have to either pay a deposit or decline their offer by. They might need some time to get a final count. Last year, it appears they first started calling on January 10.

you are wrong but

People shouldn't take you seriously....
You are the same person who wrote that UDM accepts people with 3.5 GPA on average and people with lower GPA have no chance to get into this school back in August. You were insisting that you have credible data because you read the last year threats, BUT a bunch of other commenters proved you wrong because they either knew people with low GPA who got into UDM or had access to the ADEA guide and could see a wider range of GPA acceptance.

People shouldn't take you seriously....
You are the same person who wrote that UDM accepts people with 3.5 GPA on average and people with lower GPA have no chance to get into this school back in August. You were insisting that you have credible data because you read the last year threats, BUT a bunch of other commenters proved you wrong because they either knew people with low GPA who got into UDM or had access to the ADEA guide and could see a wider range of GPA acceptance.

I got in with a 3.42 so that's definitely not true, if anyone claimed it.

I got in with a 3.42 so that's definitely not true, if anyone claimed it.

yes, you got accepted by 1 school this cycle, but you applied 3 years in the row and did not get in the 1st two years and you re-took DAT and compensated your GPA with a high DAT score of 22 !! which is above average. your DAT score shows that you have very good knowledge now.

As for the "Dentistry's lover, post: 20601753, who said that "People shouldn't take you seriously...." ;
I am just trying to help everyone here from my experience last year and what I hear from other dental students that are in my dental school. I know how stressful this process is.
There are so many factors involved in the acceptance that it is very hard to generalize, each applicant is different and therefore results are so spread out. One known fact is: the higher the GPA and DAT scores the higher are your chances of being accepted. Each school wants to have best students and that is what they are aiming for.

Dentistry's lover, I got accepted last year on my 1st attempt by few schools. I am already in the dental program at 21.
you don't have to read my posts, you can make your own choice how to approach the application process, do what you think is best for your candidacy and use this thread as you feel applicable to you. I wish you all the best and I hope you get accepted !!

When did this turn into a pissing contest y’all chill out and wait a couple days fam

Reactions: 9 users
How many applicants per upon estimation got rejected after interview from UDM this cycle?

Someone called UDM today and they told her they starting calling people this morning! Goodluck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my offer from here - OOS, best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Got the call! Off the waitlist from Dec 1 interview
GPA: 4.0
DAT (Canadian): AA20 PAT21
Canadian applicant
Good luck to everyone still waiting, excited to hopefully meet you all soon

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
yes, you got accepted by 1 school this cycle, but you applied 3 years in the row and did not get in the 1st two years and you re-took DAT and compensated your GPA with a high DAT score of 22 !! which is above average. your DAT score shows that you have very good knowledge now.

As for the "Dentistry's lover, post: 20601753, who said that "People shouldn't take you seriously...." ;
I am just trying to help everyone here from my experience last year and what I hear from other dental students that are in my dental school. I know how stressful this process is.
There are so many factors involved in the acceptance that it is very hard to generalize, each applicant is different and therefore results are so spread out. One known fact is: the higher the GPA and DAT scores the higher are your chances of being accepted. Each school wants to have best students and that is what they are aiming for.

Dentistry's lover, I got accepted last year on my 1st attempt by few schools. I am already in the dental program at 21.
you don't have to read my posts, you can make your own choice how to approach the application process, do what you think is best for your candidacy and use this thread as you feel applicable to you. I wish you all the best and I hope you get accepted !!

Chill fam, I only applied two years in a row. And my first time applying was more of test run I knew my chances were low but my family convinced me to try anyway. And i got a 21 not 22. Lets not make **** up...
Also udm's GPA has a range of 3.14 to 3.97 with a average of a 3.6 for those accepted according to the adea booklet.

------------------------------------------

I DON'T want to read your posts, but also I DON'T want other people to get discouraged or fall for your false info.
Also, If you are already in dental school, why do you care or how do you have enough time to stick around here all the time and dig out others' history? So weird.
If you really wanna help, be delicate and precise with the information you put out here. Your words can affect others career path. Attacking others and generalizing facts it is the worst you can do!

Last edited:
Got the call! Off the waitlist from Dec 3 interview
Canadian applicant

Did you see a status change on your AADSAS? Uhhh I'm gonna cry!!!!

Does anyone know what the number is that called them? I got a call this morning from a (313) 961-**** number and am very anxious on whether it is mercy or not.

Canadian applicant
congrats! do you know what the first few numbers were by any chance? I want to know if it was mercy that called today

I wonder how many people theyll accept off the waitlist
I remember Dr. Jeffers saying they get through roughly 80 to 90% of the wait list by the end of the cycle. Some of them get accepted to UDM, others remove themselves from the wait list when they commit elsewhere.

Did you see a status change on your AADSAS? Uhhh I'm gonna cry!!!!

I didn't see it before I got the call (I was refreshing profusely) but it does currently say "offer made"

congrats! do you know what the first few numbers were by any chance? I want to know if it was mercy that called today

Thank you! The number started with "517", I don't want to release the whole number for confidentiality reasons of course, but it wasn't a 313 number. It also said "Michigan" on caller ID.

I remember Dr. Jeffers saying they get through roughly 80 to 90% of the wait list by the end of the cycle. Some of them get accepted to UDM, others remove themselves from the wait list when they commit elsewhere.
Did he say that during this cycle’s interview ?

I didn't see it before I got the call (I was refreshing profusely) but it does currently say "offer made"

Thank you! The number started with "517", I don't want to release the whole number for confidentiality reasons of course, but it wasn't a 313 number. It also said "Michigan" on caller ID.
Dr. Jeffers said he would call from a 734 number, but they transitioned to Dr. Chang after Dr. Jeffers retired at the end of last month. They never told us Dr. Chang's area code, so I'm guessing 517 is it.

Canadian applicant

Congratulations! It must have been really stressful to be place on a waitlist with GPA 4.0.

You have great stats and will do really well at UDM or any dental school. You should celebrate!:clap:

Congratulations! It must have been really stressful to be place on a waitlist with GPA 4.0.

You have great stats and will do really well at UDM or any dental school. You should celebrate!:clap:
Thank you! It's my own fault for applying late but it's a huge relief to know my status. (To all predents/future applicants: get your apps out ASAP, at the beginning of summer! Maximize your chances, minimize your stress)

Does anyone know what the number is that called them? I got a call this morning from a (313) 961-**** number and am very anxious on whether it is mercy or not.
FYI 313 is the Detroit area code

I emailed them recently saying I will not be able to attend their interview on January, 26th, 2019. I hope other deserving applicants get my spot.

Best of luck guys and girls.

Hey all, I am getting carried away with the stress of getting off the waitlist a little bit. UDM is the only school that has offered me an interview and waitlisted me on Dec 3rd. I felt very positive about my interview ..... my interviewers were nice and cracked alot of jokes. I am naturally good at adding to jokes, so I made them laugh too and gave decent answer to their serious questions. However, I don't have stellar stats 3.2 and 20AA, 24 TS. I had 2.9 GPA senior year because I was sick (thyroid-issues). Excellent extracurriculars, shadowing, LR, and personal statement (probably the only reason why I got the interview). Also, I am an OOS applicant. Do you guys think I will most likely be ghosted because of my GPA and should focus on reapplying or still have a chance of being admitted?
The fact that udm almost clear up the waitlist is giving me a hope, but my low gpa doesn't leave me alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.