**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did everyone get another alternate list email today???

Are we supposed to respond if we’re still interested in being on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people who got the Email about the alternate list, can you please post when you did the interview too, please.
I did mine in January and I didn't get any email yet, is that normal?

For the people who got the Email about the alternate list, can you please post when you did the interview too, please.
The last email was for people who ARE ALREADY on the waitlist. Have you gotten a decision yet?

I also had my interview in January. I have not received that alternate list email either.

I also had my interview in January. I have not received that alternate list email either.
You guys will get the alternate email in a bit. Look at the last year threads. They got it a week or two post interview time.

Does anyone know when the next deposit is due (so the wait list gets moving)?

Reactions: 1 user
December 1

Did anyone that wanted to remain on the wait list respond? Or are we only supposed to respond if we wanted to be taken off the wait list? This waiting is killing me.

Did anyone that wanted to remain on the wait list respond? Or are we only supposed to respond if we wanted to be taken off the wait list? This waiting is killing me.
Respond only if you want to be removed.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys read the email thoroughly, it’s only intended for those that have already been accepted. You don’t have to respond

Accepted today by phone call at 10AM (CST), interviewed on 01/26

Reactions: 3 users
Current student here, if you have the choice of going to another dental school, I would highly recommend you strongly look into going to the other school.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it not what you expected at UDM?

The comments by lol_afk are quite eye opening.

Increased class size (~90 students pre class of 2016 to now 144 per class) makes for now difficulty completing the already minimal graduation requirements without having to pay out personal money to cover patients' treatments (for example: root canal treatments used to be $35 per tooth, about 9 months ago without warning the prices jumped to $50-150 depending on tooth). Increased patient fees are passed onto the students who feel pressured to pay extra just to graduate.

Accepted yesterday!
Interviewed on Dec 1. Waitlisted on Dec 5.

Canadian.
oGPA/sGPA 3.80/3.83
aDAT AA 23, PAT 23

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the waitlist today! Interviewed December 3!

Current student here, if you have the choice of going to another dental school, I would highly recommend you strongly look into going to the other school.

Not gonna lie guys... after seeing this I went through forums on SDN and Reddit and I found LOTS of current students complaining. ☹️ I messaged some and got more in detail info. I also asked my friend who is a current dental student at UW if some of their complaints were typical at any dental school and she said definitely not. I feel like I’m leaning more towards my acceptance at a CA school now.

Has anyone else found anything about Detroit Mercy to help make this decision?

Thanks in advance. Also, happy to post the stuff I found but you have to do a fair amount of reading

Reactions: 2 users
Not gonna lie guys... after seeing this I went through forums on SDN and Reddit and I found LOTS of current students complaining. ☹️ I messaged some and got more in detail info. I also asked my friend who is a current dental student at UW if some of their complaints were typical at any dental school and she said definitely not. I feel like I’m leaning more towards my acceptance at a CA school now.

Has anyone else found anything about Detroit Mercy to help make this decision?

Thanks in advance. Also, happy to post the stuff I found but you have to do a fair amount of reading

Mind posting the stuff you found?

Mind posting the stuff you found?

Sure! I elected to not add in links of comments without any reason for not attending

Not everything they say about the school is negative, but there were enough red flags that I wanted to ask if anyone else has any insight!

Can You Answer These Questions About Your Dental School? (Part 2)
Look for the DS4 answers on this one.
If you look at other pages, more students answer the same questions about UDM.

Also, if you skim through the class of 2022 page you can find pros and cons students have listed

Plus that Reddit post that was originally posted

Sure! I elected to not add in links of comments without any reason for not attending

Not everything they say about the school is negative, but there were enough red flags that I wanted to ask if anyone else has any insight!

Also, if you skim through the class of 2022 page you can find pros and cons students have listed

The only major compliant seems to be about the difficulty getting patients to fulfil graduation requirements. Every school and decision we makes going to have pros and cons that's just the way life works.
Did anyone ever DM them to figure out the stuff they didn't like about udm?

So I go to a different dental school but I interviewed at UDM last year cycle. I asked D2s at the time and they all said it is hard to find patients and classes are overcrowded and they do not really care about individual students. I decided not to go to UDM because of the tuition and that part of Detroit. However if I had no choice I would definitely take that spot.
Each dental school has problems so I don't think UDM is unique and very many dental schools leave it to students to find their patients.
Nothing is easy, being a dental student is very stressful.

Reactions: 3 users
The only major compliant seems to be about the difficulty getting patients to fulfil graduation requirements. Every school and decision we makes going to have pros and cons that's just the way life works.
Did anyone ever DM them to figure out the stuff they didn't like about udm?

I did! Waiting on their reply. I actually messaged like 3 people I found so I’ll post when they respond.

Ask your friends at other schools if students regularly have to stay back after graduation to finish requirements.

This is, after walking across the stage in full regalia, having to come back the next week to still see patients before the school gives them their diploma.

In the past few years, is the school's new norm al for 20+ students to have to stay after graduation. That's almost 15% of the class having to be held back after.

Increased class sizes + same patient pool + newly increased treatment prices = bad planning by unemphatic administration

Ask your friends at other schools if students regularly have to stay back after graduation to finish requirements.

This is, after walking across the stage in full regalia, having to come back the next week to still see patients before the school gives them their diploma.

In the past few years, is the school's new norm al for 20+ students to have to stay after graduation. That's almost 15% of the class having to be held back after.

Increased class sizes + same patient pool + newly increased treatment prices = bad planning by unemphatic administration

Every school has it's pros and cons. I've heard of students not meeting graduation requirements at a few places. At the end of the day I'll always choose the cheaper option.

I also read the reddit and have gone through sdn about UDM. Its all personal preference. I've learned about the school for sometime now (2 years) and when I went there for interview, I have to say it was one of the nicest interviews and school visits I've had. Students and faculty members were very friendly. The current students showed a lot of chemistry and moral support among each other. They have the whole big brother/big sister thing going on which its so unique. So I am not sure why people are saying the school is lacking moral support. The school has one of the largest hospital-based clinics in the states. They are known for their population pool and clinical outreach. Their new clinical model was/is actually thrilled me about the program. You get to work with someone that you've known for three years. What's wrong with that? After all, as future dentists, we have to learn to cope with others and get out of our comfort zone.

This is my honest opinion, and of course, I don't have the experience as a current dental student there as I am on the waitlist. The school is unique in all aspects. Hands down, one of the very few oos dental school that stood out to me. So don't base your decision on the advice of others!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I also read the reddit and have gone through sdn about UDM. Its all personal preference. I've learned about the school for sometime now (2 years) and when I went there for interview, I have to say it was one of the nicest interviews and school visits I've had. Students and faculty members were very friendly. The current students showed a lot of chemistry and moral support among each other. They have the whole big brother/big sister thing going on which its so unique. So I am not sure why people are saying the school is lacking moral support. The school has one of the largest hospital-based clinics in the states. They are known for their population pool and clinical outreach. Their new clinical model was/is actually thrilled me about the program. You get to work with someone that you've known for three years. What's wrong with that? After all, as future dentists, we have to learn to cope with others and get out of our comfort zone.

This is my honest opinion, and of course, I don't have the experience as a current dental school there because I am still on the waitlist. The school is unique in all aspects. Hands down, one of the very few oos dental school that stood out to me. So don't base your decision on the advice of others!

I'm definitely going to have to second that! The students at UDM actually seemed happy to be there unlike at a few other schools where I interviewed at. Tbh that's one of the things really pushing me towards udm .

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off the waitlist last Friday!
In State
Interviewed in September, waitlisted December 3rd

Reactions: 2 users
Yup! It was a 313 area code that called me.

Stats: 20AA 18PAT, 3.85 sGPA 3.9 oGPA

Last edited:
Anyone else get another one of those are you still interested as an alternate candidate emails?

Status
Not open for further replies.