**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

TherealnorthOMFS

OMFS resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to University of Detroit Mercy (UDM) School of Dentistry Class of 2023 thread.
Last year's thread: Class of 2022
The year before: Class of 2021
Link to interview prep: University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Post your stats, questions, interview dates.
I'll do my best to answer your guys' questions.

*edited by staff to include link to interview feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite, International!

Guess they're not doing video interviews this year. How did y'all prepare?

Reactions: 1 user

put together a story bank of your experiences that you can reference to support your answers, know the prototypical interview questions, know your ethics and practice with friends and family in person.

Invitation email received today 7/16 ☺️
Also it said in the email that they will send me a video interview. Best to double check just to be sure.
Application submission date: 6/10
Fee and 2x2 pic sent by mail on 7/10

Invitation email received today 7/16 ☺️
Also it said in the email that they will send me a video interview. Best to double check just to be sure.
Application submission date: 6/10
Fee and 2x2 pic sent by mail on 7/10
Just curious, stats and residency?

put together a story bank of your experiences that you can reference to support your answers, know the prototypical interview questions, know your ethics and practice with friends and family in person.
what is the video interview like?

Any helpful links? :)

Interview Invite #1

Date: 9/8/2018
OOS (CA)
3.45 oGPA / 3.1 sGPA
21AA / 22TS

So, what are the video questions like?

Any helpful links? :)
University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry

ya'll can check out the interivew feedback portion of this link, however each interview will be different and unique to some extent because they can throw different scenarios at you, so use this to give you a rough idea of the process. Keep in mind that your interview experience will depend on who is interviewing you, there is a good amount of variability, BUT if this is the right field and school for you, you'll get in regardless of everything.

as for the video interview, majority of us from the last cycle did zero to little prep (assuming that you know yourself and the application well). The only prep i did were the practice questions you get access to that serve to familiarize you with the system before the real video interview starts. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's not on the same level as the real interview of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I'd chime in about the video interview. If I remember correctly, it was just three or four questions regarding both ethical dilemmas, who you are/personality questions, and about the school itself.
I personally didn't prep for this and kinda screwed up in my opinion because of it, but I got accepted off waitlist here.
Its more informal and pretty standard interview questions vs the actual interview, which was open file.

Reactions: 6 users
Interview #2
School: UDM
Notification date: 16/07/2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Canadian Applicant
AADSAS mail-out date: 12/06/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.67, 3.67
DAT (AA/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/18/18/none (took the Canadian DAT)

Interview invite #3 today!

Just wondering, which 2 schools did you already get an invite for?

Interview #2
Notification date: 16/07/2018
Residency: Canadian Applicant
AADSAS mail-out date: 12/06/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.67, 3.67
DAT (AA/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/18/18/none (took the Canadian DAT)

What was your interview #1? Just wondering. Thank you!

Got my first invite today!
Notification: July 16th, noon
Method: email
Residency: Canadian but have lived in the US for the last 8 years
AADSAS mail out: June 12th. I submitted a lot of supplemental fees June 27th or later though.
sGPA: 3.9 oGPA: 3.96
DAT: AA23, TS22, PAT22, RC 26.
Sorry I’m doing this off my phone so I messed up the typical way this is written, but I’m hoping to interview on the 25th if anyone else will be around then!

Got my first invite today!
Notification: July 16th, noon
Method: email
Residency: Canadian but have lived in the US for the last 8 years
AADSAS mail out: June 12th. I submitted a lot of supplemental fees June 27th or later though.
sGPA: 3.9 oGPA: 3.96
DAT: AA23, TS22, PAT22, RC 26.
Sorry I’m doing this off my phone so I messed up the typical way this is written, but I’m hoping to interview on the 25th if anyone else will be around then!
Probably thinking of the same date! Will know for sure soon.

Thank you! 28th June. I've posted it on this thread if you go back :)
That’s awesome:) I submitted the online application and fee for them on the 29th of June actually. How soon after doing yours did you hear back from them if you don’t mind me asking?

Interview #1
Notification date: 7/16/18
Residency: US Applicant
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/05/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.51, 3.67
DAT (AA/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): (20/20/20/ none below 17)

That’s awesome:) I submitted the online application and fee for them on the 29th of June actually. How soon after doing yours did you hear back from them if you don’t mind me asking?
Honestly don't remember! Maybe a week or two after submitting my supplemental.

Got an interview invite this morning!

20 AA / 20 TS / 23 PAT / none below 19
oGPA: 3.9
sGPA: 3.9
100+ shadowing
500+ volunteering
PA resident

There is a mandatory one step process that you must complete before your scheduled interview date. You will be receiving an email from Kira stating "You been invited for an interview for the Class of 2023", please complete the recorded video questions by no later than a week after it has been received;

^ This was in the invitation email. What does "recorded video questions" mean? Does that mean we will need to send in a pre-interview video interview?

In everyone’s opinion at any school, do you think once you receive an interview you are on a pretty even playing field?

There is a mandatory one step process that you must complete before your scheduled interview date. You will be receiving an email from Kira stating "You been invited for an interview for the Class of 2023", please complete the recorded video questions by no later than a week after it has been received;

^ This was in the invitation email. What does "recorded video questions" mean? Does that mean we will need to send in a pre-interview video interview?
Yup ! Exactly that .

In everyone’s opinion at any school, do you think once you receive an interview you are on a pretty even playing field?
Usually by the time you get to the interview, your interview is the biggest part of your application now. So everyone is more or less on the same field - your stats still count when finally deciding but the interview is very very key. I do think it can depend on the school though, and when your interview is. Super late into the cycle doing an interview puts you in the same boat as everyone who is waitlisted already. Schools like UDM who interview many times over their accepted means that you'll statistically have a lower chance of getting in vs. a school that interviews less.
What I've heard generally is that if you can get an interview somewhere, it means that you theoretically have enough to be a dentist. Just gotta prove it on interview day.

Reactions: 2 users
was anyone able to schedule an interview yet? i emailed the dates i was available but haven't heard back (only received KIRA)

Not gonna lie, I’m pretty nervous about the KIRA interview. Anyone has any idea what this is about or how to prepare for it?

Reactions: 4 users
was anyone able to schedule an interview yet? i emailed the dates i was available but haven't heard back (only received KIRA)
Once you receive the KIRA, that means they've received your selection of interview dates via your email.

Once you receive the KIRA, that means they've received your selection of interview dates via your email.
Does that mean they'll confirm the date only after I complete KIRA?

Does that mean they'll confirm the date only after I complete KIRA?
I received my confirmation this afternoon about an hour after receiving the KIRA email

Interview #1
School:
UDM
Notification date: 07/16/2018
Method of notification:
Email
Residency: VA
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/25/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.80, 3.82
DAT (AA/TS/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/20/none
Interviewing Aug 25th!

Last edited:
Interview #1
School:
UDM
Notification date: 07/16/2018
Method of notification:
Email
Residency: VA
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/25/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.80, 3.82
DAT (AA/TS/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/20/none
Interviewing Aug 25th!
I’m interviewing the same day! 11:30 AM

Has anyone else still not received a confirmation email? It almost been the 48 hours since I requested the date I wanted and I received the Kira yesterday afternoon.

Has anyone else still not received a confirmation email? It almost been the 48 hours since I requested the date I wanted and I received the Kira yesterday afternoon.

I haven't received an email confirmation for my interview date availability either. I tried to secure Sept 22 early yesterday morning, however, still no response.

I haven't received an email confirmation for my interview date availability either. I tried to secure Sept 22 early yesterday morning, however, still no response.

Me neither, I responded right away to the email for the same day (Sept. 22 at 11:30)

For sure! So long as this date gets confirmed sometime. I am also Canadian!

Status
Not open for further replies.